ADVERTISEMENT

Next up Ohio State: most intriguing matchup…

And this is what makes college recruiting so difficult. SVN and Bartlett coming out of HS were basically locks to be dominate in college, but yet that has not been the case (yet). I think SVN deserves a little more time since this is his first year on the mat, but Bartlett has been a slight disappointment thus far.

This is why when this board only is chasing the HS Blue-Chippers to sign with PSU, I find it funny--because coming from a recruiting background, there is SO many other factors to consider.
bartlett was never a "dominant" kid in high school and was never thought he was going to be a bonus machine in college. While he did pin SVN 2x - he was far from dominant. He relied heavily on his pace as a way to create distance late in the match.

SVN? I definitely thought he would be a bonus point machine. While he had great pace, he had a multitude of attacks that didn't rely on the guy being dog tired before he would score. But, this is also his first full year of competition at the collegiate level - so there's a chance next year he becomes a bonus point guy (a la zain)

And yeah. you guys are just spoiled brats. LOL. DT, Ruth, Q, Zain, Nolf, Nickal. Legitimate generational talents and you had them on back to back dynasties.

I would never use the word disappointed with this team. To many factors go into a wrestling season. Weight management, injuries, school all go into your success. I've talked to an AA wrestler that had to change his major from med school to chiropractor because he couldn't keep GPA high enough to keep scholarship. I still find it amazing the success we have without to many issues in this day and age.

And yet all of our great’s during the Cael era have been blue chippers. Ruth, DT, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Hall, Cenzo, Lee, AB, RBY, and Starocci are all blue chip recruits and were the driving force behind team titles as well as winning multiple individual titles. Obviously some guys like Cassar really improve in college and pass their ranking and some blue chippers don’t meet expectation but it’s proven that to win consistently getting the top kids is how you do it. PSU has consistently gotten top recruits and just as consistently turned them into champions. I think it’s funny you for some reason don’t think we should be chasing those kids
Where did I say we should not chase them??? I find it funny that everyone thinks because we bagged a #2, or #3 overall recruit that it is *automatic* natty, and bonus points each match. Several peak in HS, and others just get caught up to. For every Zain, there are dozens of Busiello's.

We are all homers, and lean to strongly to our loyalties at times. For example, some had us winning 9 of 10 matches at Iowa. Unlikely for sure, but given the most balanced team I have seen in a decade, it was not an absurd prognostication.

In any case, in some respects that Iowa performance brought us all back down to earth. Although a comfortable win, it was a bucket of icewater in the face for those who thought we can just roll over the competition uncontested in duals.

The best Big10 competition has elite kids who are work just as hard as our kids to become the very best. Sometimes the delta is razor thin, as illustrated by a whole string of our national champions who have won in SV over the past few years.

I think if Ohio State is on their game can make a run at this dual. After all they are the perenial national recruiting champions. We should win of course but the opportunity for some unpleasant surprises exists at multiple weights. Is it out of the question that phenom Mendes will challenge RBY?

My biggest concern with RBY coming into this year, was the potential to view this year casually as a coronation of sorts. Fortunately, RBY looks to be fully committed, focused, 100% dedicated and training hard to bring home #3. He wins this one, but I don't expect bonus.

All 4 young guns will be tested, with a fair chance they go 1 and 3 yet again. I am hoping Cael lights a fire under all 4 and they come out possessed. We need more growth here going forward. Nonetheless, there is a good probably we head in to 165 down 1-4 unless all apply some hard-earned lessons from Iowa just 1 week later.

It also illustrates that next year will be no cakewalk after we lose Max, RBY, and potentially Levi to RS. Our freshmen will need that second year jump for sure.

On paper this dual is looking to be more challenging than the Iowa dual. Max was challenged by Hoffman last year, and I think Gallagher is tougher for Levi than the ranking indicates.

Without a strong reset of our mental approach, we could see another plethora of 1 takedown matches. I really hope not, come on kids let it rip.

The only slam dunk 'easy' matchup is Kerk. I hope not, but we may end up needing his bonus to pull this out.

Reactions: wrestlingmind
Where did I say we should not chase them??? I find it funny that everyone thinks because we bagged a #2, or #3 overall recruit that it is *automatic* natty, and bonus points each match. Several peak in HS, and others just get caught up to. For every Zain, there are dozens of Busiello's.

This you?
This^^^^. A little disappointed with SVN, as coming out of HS I thought he jump right in and be dominate. He won't beat Sasso. I'm not even sure about 141 being PSU, as Bartlett has not exactly looked lights out.

I would be fine never watching a Sasso match ever again. Seems like a good kid, just whatever that is he does out there is boring to the core.
I like Sasso. He is like a witch is scrambles and it is always fun to see how he comes out on top. I don't think SVN can beat him. If you are taking down Sasso you have to have a clean committed shot and finish. BB has that when he lets go but I am not sure SVN has that yet.

I think this fan base has gotten way too spoiled and lost its touch with reality a bit. This team is incredible and might go down as one of the best ever even if they aren’t all putting up major points every match. The guys who aren’t showing a ton of offense regularly are all freshmen or sophomores and still are ranked in the top 15 with wins against past AA’s. SVN lost an entire year last year which is a crucial time for development. We all wish we were watching guys like Ruth, DT, Nolf, Nickal, and Zain where they were bonusing in over 80% of their matches but we need to realize that those guys weren’t just great but that they are all time great. Any other fan base would kill to have the “problems” that this PSU team is facing. I expect that our champs will continue winning every time out but maybe not with as much bonus as our last group of champions and that our freshman and youngsters will continue to be in a lot of tight matches but also improve every single match and come March those young guys are going to be right there to AA while PSU runs away with another team title. Sit back and enjoy just how special it is to be a PSU wrestling fan right now
Agree with almost all you said, but it's all relative don't you think? Of course we are nitpicking a little. I mean hell we have 4 past national champs and another guy (Kerk) who is a favorite to make the finals and I believe win it.

No one's ragging on Steen, he is what he is at this point, and hope to see improvement.

VanNess and Facundo need to open it up more..they have the ability and I am high on both of them. I feel like both of them have done great this year and if they opened it up, they'd surprise themselves at how they can start turning the L's to W's.

Message boards are for discussion. Unless someone is ragging on a kid (which I haven't seen), I think all comments are welcome

This you?
I never said *every* top recruit is not good? I was a big SVN fan coming out of HS is all I meant. I fully admit I overjudged him a little--but then again, this is a 1st season on the mat for him, so hoping for a 2nd year jump.

And yet all of our great’s during the Cael era have been blue chippers. Ruth, DT, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Hall, Cenzo, Lee, AB, RBY, and Starocci are all blue chip recruits and were the driving force behind team titles as well as winning multiple individual titles. Obviously some guys like Cassar really improve in college and pass their ranking and some blue chippers don’t meet expectation but it’s proven that to win consistently getting the top kids is how you do it. PSU has consistently gotten top recruits and just as consistently turned them into champions. I think it’s funny you for some reason don’t think we should be chasing those kids
There is one big difference between the guys you mentioned and BB & SVN …

RBY - Mendez and Facundo - Kharchla are the two I want to see. Mendez has looked spectacular in the matches I’ve seen. He looks like the real deal, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives RBY a run for his money.
the only one that gives RBY a run for his money is RBY he can score at will on anyone but some matches he just doesn't want so score much!

with all the talent in the PSU room with ex champs I can't figure how all these guys arent scoring a ton of points?

Didn’t D’Emilio just beat him last summer in Free? Not understanding the unbridled confidence.
I’m fairly certain Beau had a substantial lead in that match and made some mental errors at the end. My belief is Beau has improved significantly and will not make the same mistakes again. In addition, my opinion is that folkstyle is more favorable to Beau than free.

And this is what makes college recruiting so difficult. SVN and Bartlett coming out of HS were basically locks to be dominate in college, but yet that has not been the case (yet). I think SVN deserves a little more time since this is his first year on the mat, but Bartlett has been a slight disappointment thus far.

This is why when this board only is chasing the HS Blue-Chippers to sign with PSU, I find it funny--because coming from a recruiting background, there is SO many other factors to consider.
wait - being ranked in the top 10 isn't successful recruiting? Have to be a Natty champ first year?

wait - being ranked in the top 10 isn't successful recruiting? Have to be a Natty champ first year?
giphy.gif

I’m fairly certain Beau had a substantial lead in that match and made some mental errors at the end. My belief is Beau has improved significantly and will not make the same mistakes again. In addition, my opinion is that folkstyle is more favorable to Beau than free.
I thought D’Emilio handled him in period 2 pretty well, but I could be mistaken. Pretty sure Beau got taken down…last I looked, a free takedown is pretty similar to a folk takedown. I just don’t get the confidence level being so high…just like everyone was saying how SVN would take apart Murin last Friday.

Reactions: jmadden1998
with all the talent in the PSU room with ex champs I can't figure how all these guys arent scoring a ton of points?
On a related note you just may have cracked the code to something, albeit in reverse.

Lots of talk about the current wave of elite hammers not being as aggressive as the last 2. No doubt Carter, Aaron and Max are not as aggressive and dynamic as DT, Ed, Q, Zain, Nolf, and Bo. When you think about it toss in Mark and Cenzo too.

Some here simply explain it away to the first two waves being a unicorn 'luck of the draw' collection of GOATs at the same time same place, that somewhat defies statistics, but can't be duplicated.

Could the 'conservatism' that permeates the squad be partially explained as a result of our own success? Namely, the NLWC plus Bo's gym have finally built up a critical mass of ultra elite talent, across most weight classes, that or undergrads never gain the level of confidence to let it fly? Iron dulls iron?

Just as our new recruits often talk of not getting their first takedown for months after they arrive, so too might Carter and Aaron suffer from going up against the likes of DT and Nolf? Will Beau ever get the confidence to let it fly if he is rolling around with Zain and Nick often?

It's all probably BS on my part, but I am longing for a far less conservative approach to the game from our whole squad.

Nolf, Bo and Nick all cared very little for making a mistake and giving up points. They just went out and scored more. Beau is just so reductant to shoot, it's as of he knows he can't finish unless he gets the perfect look. Practicing with Zain and Nick could make that kind of thinking permanent? Hmmm?

bartlett was never a "dominant" kid in high school and was never thought he was going to be a bonus machine in college. While he did pin SVN 2x - he was far from dominant. He relied heavily on his pace as a way to create distance late in the match.
I would disagree that Bartlett wasn’t a dominant kid in high school. Having watched him for 4 years at Sem, he was much more aggressive and offensive than he currently is. I’ll remind that in their most pressure filled yearly dual with Blair, Beau won all four years by fall.
By the way, my recollection was that Beau wrestled Van Ness three times in high all in the same season. I believe the first time was at a holiday tournament where he lost. The second time was at Sem against Blair when he got Shayne in a head lock and took him down to his back for a fall in the first 25 seconds of the match. The third was a 20-13 decision at prep nationals that year, a pretty offensive win.
I was at the Blair match when he pinned Shayne, the loudest roar I have ever heard in a high school gym.

This was my reply to Vhsalum:

I would disagree that Bartlett wasn’t a dominant kid in high school. Having watched him for 4 years at Sem, he was much more aggressive and offensive than he currently is. I’ll remind that in their most pressure filled yearly dual with Blair, Beau won all four years by fall.
By the way, my recollection was that Beau wrestled Van Ness three times in high all in the same season. I believe the first time was at a holiday tournament where he lost. The second time was at Sem against Blair when he got Shayne in a head lock and took him down to his back for a fall in the first 25 seconds of the match. The third was a 20-13 decision at prep nationals that year, a pretty offensive win.
I was at the Blair match when he pinned Shayne, the loudest roar I have ever heard in a high school gym.

I thought D’Emilio handled him in period 2 pretty well, but I could be mistaken. Pretty sure Beau got taken down…last I looked, a free takedown is pretty similar to a folk takedown. I just don’t get the confidence level being so high…just like everyone was saying how SVN would take apart Murin last Friday.
I guess I’m a bigger believer in Beau than you. That’s fine. I’m quite confident he beats D’Emilio. Not a blowout or anything, just a solid, in control win by 2-4 points. We’ll see what happens.

This was my reply to Vhsalum:

I agree, but I think some of those aggressive moves were strength moves. He loved to head hunt and take guys that tried to whizzer him in the seat belt position over their head. He's tried that a few times at this level and it ain't so easy.

Reactions: nerfstate

He scored a four point move that wouldn't be a TD in Folk. D'Emilio did a sort of a firemans carry to Beau, Beau landed on his back, rolled through and had D'Emilio in a head pinch situation. Wrestled dead and back to center.

Reactions: danoftw
I think it is just natural to be cautious in tight matches. It is hard for guys to let it fly especially when guys are so good defensively. The 4-point NF also changes the process I think. If Starocci tries some willd upper body move and Brands wins that lock and ends up with a 6-point move there aren't a lot of guys coming back from that. It happened to Brooks this year. It is hard to make up those points. I just like guys worry too much about losing instead of winning.

Bartlett had a tough match vs Woods, but he’s not losing to D’Emilio. Book it.

D'Emillo beat Bartlett in freestyle this summer

D'Emillo had the only TDs of the match; Beau scored all his points on pushouts.

Beau was actually up 5-1, then started backing up. Was hit for stalling and D'Emillo scored a 4-point dump at the end. He lost 8-6

Reactions: fronk71
D'Emillo beat Bartlett in freestyle this summer

D'Emillo had the only TDs of the match; Beau scored all his points on pushouts.

Beau was actually up 5-1, then started backing up. Was hit for stalling and D'Emillo scored a 4-point dump at the end. He lost 8-6
And my point is he won’t get caught in any 4 point moves this time. I guess we’ll find out.

Last edited:
He scored a four point move that wouldn't be a TD in Folk. D'Emilio did a sort of a firemans carry to Beau, Beau landed on his back, rolled through and had D'Emilio in a head pinch situation. Wrestled dead and back to center.

I guess I’m a bigger believer in Beau than you. That’s fine. I’m quite confident he beats D’Emilio. Not a blowout or anything, just a solid, in control win by 2-4 points. We’ll see what happens.
Hey listen. I love the kid. I met him after a match and think he’s a terrific talent and even better person. I want him to dominate and let it fly. I just sometimes think fan overconfidence creates an unnecessary pressure and expectations (if these kids even read this stuff).

I‘ve played in a lot of competitive pool tournaments in my day and always did better when I didn’t know my opponents, they didn’t know me, and expectations were low. In those situations, my focus was always strong and the process (not winning) was most important. Whenever I entered a tournament and was considered one of the favorites, I generally performed poorer because my head wasn’t focused on the right thing.

Just simple psychology, I guess. No expectations…just trust the process and your skill and do your thing!

Reactions: NittanyChris
And my point is he won’t get caught ina any 4 point moves this time. I guess we’ll find out.

True enough, and Beau won't score points for pushouts.

I see this as a 1 TD match Friday. Hopefully, Beau is the one to get it.

True enough, and Beau won't score points for pushouts.

I see this as a 1 TD match Friday. Hopefully, Beau is the one to get it.
Hey listen. I love the kid. I met him after a match and think he’s a terrific talent and even better person. I want him to dominate and let it fly. I just sometimes think fan overconfidence creates an unnecessary pressure and expectations (if these kids even read this stuff).

I‘ve played in a lot of competitive pool tournaments in my day and always did better when I didn’t know my opponents, they didn’t know me, and expectations were low. In those situations, my focus was always strong and the process (not winning) was most important. Whenever I entered a tournament and was considered one of the favorites, I generally performed poorer because my head wasn’t focused on the right thing.

Just simple psychology, I guess. No expectations…just trust the process and your skill and do your thing!

Think about the PGA Tour. It is very difficult for even the best golfers to win their first tournament. They have to experience the situation and understand how to deal with it, without any prior experience. Course management, Heart rates, breathing patterns, when to turn on the offense, when to lay back, lagging or gunning? Until you’ve been through it, nobody knows how they will deal with the choices and the pressure. And then one day, they believe/they know they’ve “got this” and they breakthrough and win their first tournament. From now on it should be easier to win. It’s the process.

Tiger was probably the best prepared to deal with that at a young age. But, even he won “just” 25% of the tournaments he entered.

Competing at the very top is something very few athletes are capable of doing from Day 1.

Reactions: fronk71
...having watched Sasso in high school one must always be aware that he has one of the best cradles of any wrestler I've ever seen ... and he can get it from almost any position ... should be interesting ...🤷🏽‍♂️

Think about the PGA Tour. It is very difficult for even the best golfers to win their first tournament. They have to experience the situation and understand how to deal with it, without any prior experience. Course management, Heart rates, breathing patterns, when to turn on the offense, when to lay back, lagging or gunning? Until you’ve been through it, nobody knows how they will deal with the choices and the pressure. And then one day, they believe/they know they’ve “got this” and they breakthrough and win their first tournament. From now on it should be easier to win. It’s the process.

Tiger was probably the best prepared to deal with that at a young age. But, even he won “just” 25% of the tournaments he entered.

Competing at the very top is something very few athletes are capable of doing from Day 1.
Don't disagree at all. I'm just more concerned about the lack of offense from a couple of them. If they were losing because of counter-attacks, or positioning that is one thing. But a few of them just don't appear to be aggressive enough (at this time). I think that changes in year #2, or at least hope it does.

This match will be close i believe, they should win 125, 141 (demilio) 8-0 against bartlett i heard, 149 sasso (van nees stopped shooting, 157 toss up, 165 unless facundo can shoot its ohio st. 74 psu dec. 84 psu dec, 97 toss up , hwt psu bonus

W.w, big match tonight. Certainly doesn't feel like last week but it is a big match. OSU has ranked kids all over and it's TanTom to boot! **** down begins...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT