ADVERTISEMENT

Wisonsin is next: Most intriguing matchup...

Lionvision can be a big pain w/ the ads they run, and occaisional streaming issues. It's my preference though, for syncing w/ live video, because in the browser on my phone, I'm able to pause the feed, and resume on my signal. Most of the radio apps I've tried resume with the latest live feed if you pause it, which makes syncing impossible. But the feeds are usually more reliable too. I'm spoiled to have these stations all be local to me, too--so I don't miss any action if I'm driving somewhere.

Reactions: Hey_Blue
Lionvision can be a big pain w/ the ads they run, and occaisional streaming issues. It's my preference though, for syncing w/ live video, because in the browser on my phone, I'm able to pause the feed, and resume on my signal. Most of the radio apps I've tried resume with the latest live feed if you pause it, which makes syncing impossible. But the feeds are usually more reliable too. I'm spoiled to have these stations all be local to me, too--so I don't miss any action if I'm driving somewhere.
Agree 100%. With patience, you can get the LionVision browser feed synced up with the video feed down to the second; but you have to tolerate the noted streaming issues and ads. The radio station stream is much, much more reliable but can be as much as 40-50 seconds ahead of the video. First world problems...

Of course there are times Lionvision doesn't work. I always assumed some intern forgot to flick a switch.
Yes it's really frustrating that an Athletic Department with Penn State's budget performs so poorly in that area. There have been times when the Lion Vision stream misses the entire pregame and even some of the early bouts. Kids streaming podcasts from their basements on their cell phomes do a better job.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Gameday, or Matchday if you prefer. I'm excited for all the bouts, if for nothing else than to see where the guys are. It's a long way to peaking, that happens in mid-March, but we are now starting Big Ten play, the guys have an away match (meaning they're dealing with the rigors of travel), they're returning from a lengthy layoff, etc. Classes don't start till 1/9 so it's also a break from the challenges of keeping up with schoolwork.

125: How will Steen do against another tough opponent, this time #7 and returning AA Barnett. Tough road to hoe here, so just looking for improvement from the young Lion.
133: On paper, an easy win for RBY. I would think the bout score should be on the fringes of a Major Decision. Looking for a controlled bout with an amazing offensive move or two thrown in. Lamont's solid, but not in RBY's league.
141: From what I'd read Zargo is doubtful, so Bartlett will be a significant favorite against whomever he faces. Just keep doing what he's doing, solid in all positions. Bonus point win would be awesome.
149: Not expecting a win here, at least in the scorebook. What I mean is that regardless of the final score, this bout is a win for young Van Ness. He'll have a better feel for where he's at against the best at 149, which helps with his training for the next couple months.
157: Whether it is Barraclough or Haines, Model is tall and lanky and a tough out. Finishing takedowns quickly are key. This has the makings of an extremely close bout, though anything can happen on a wrestling mat.
165: I'll ditto what I said at 149. Facundo will know more about himself and where he's at after this bout, win or lose in the boxscore. Hamiti, to me, is one of those wrestlers from opponent's teams that I enjoy watching.
174 & 184: the Wisconsin wrestlers are both over-matched against the likes of Starocci and Brooks. Just look for an all-business approach from the Lions.
197: I expect a really close bout here. Amos has never lost a bout by bonus. What I hope to see is the Max Dean from his last match against Bastida and the multitude of bouts at the end of last season. Always in control, even when leading by 1 or 2 points. Give up no takedowns and get a couple of your own would be nice. A turn would be a bonus, but Amos is pretty stout.
285: I hope to see continued improvement from our big man. Two years ago or so, Kerkvliet won by 4, though we know the tough circumstances he was under in 2021. On paper this shouldn't be close and could be a bonus point win. I think we'll see a couple takedowns and some long rides from Kerkvliet.

Gameday, or Matchday if you prefer. I'm excited for all the bouts, if for nothing else than to see where the guys are. It's a long way to peaking, that happens in mid-March, but we are now starting Big Ten play, the guys have an away match (meaning they're dealing with the rigors of travel), they're returning from a lengthy layoff, etc. Classes don't start till 1/9 so it's also a break from the challenges of keeping up with schoolwork.

125: How will Steen do against another tough opponent, this time #7 and returning AA Barnett. Tough road to hoe here, so just looking for improvement from the young Lion.
133: On paper, an easy win for RBY. I would think the bout score should be on the fringes of a Major Decision. Looking for a controlled bout with an amazing offensive move or two thrown in. Lamont's solid, but not in RBY's league.
141: From what I'd read Zargo is doubtful, so Bartlett will be a significant favorite against whomever he faces. Just keep doing what he's doing, solid in all positions. Bonus point win would be awesome.
149: Not expecting a win here, at least in the scorebook. What I mean is that regardless of the final score, this bout is a win for young Van Ness. He'll have a better feel for where he's at against the best at 149, which helps with his training for the next couple months.
157: Whether it is Barraclough or Haines, Model is tall and lanky and a tough out. Finishing takedowns quickly are key. This has the makings of an extremely close bout, though anything can happen on a wrestling mat.
165: I'll ditto what I said at 149. Facundo will know more about himself and where he's at after this bout, win or lose in the boxscore. Hamiti, to me, is one of those wrestlers from opponent's teams that I enjoy watching.
174 & 184: the Wisconsin wrestlers are both over-matched against the likes of Starocci and Brooks. Just look for an all-business approach from the Lions.
197: I expect a really close bout here. Amos has never lost a bout by bonus. What I hope to see is the Max Dean from his last match against Bastida and the multitude of bouts at the end of last season. Always in control, even when leading by 1 or 2 points. Give up no takedowns and get a couple of your own would be nice. A turn would be a bonus, but Amos is pretty stout.
285: I hope to see continued improvement from our big man. Two years ago or so, Kerkvliet won by 4, though we know the tough circumstances he was under in 2021. On paper this shouldn't be close and could be a bonus point win. I think we'll see a couple takedowns and some long rides from Kerkvliet.
Thanks for the breakdown. Another big test for the team and especially the young guys tonight.

BTW any shuttlebutt regarding Betancourt now that the new semester has started? I assume tan Tom is still putting the screws to the poor kid out of insecurity. WTF?

Not that it makes a difference as I don't know that an in-shape sucked down to 125 version is able to beat Gary, I perceive them as likely pretty close to the same animal.

I’m very interested to see Steen tonight. I don’t expect a dub but I think a decision is very possible. As he fills into the weight in future years, he could end up quite good, IMO.

Roar!!!!!!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Betancourt isn't even on our roster. He implied Tom is not releasing him (he commented on Burwick's tweet) but on the flip side, he should be able to be rostered.

49 and 65 are both good matches to see where the young kids are at. I’m especially looking forward to 165. Facundo has excellent defense and good length but he’s coming up against on of the more diversified offensive 165ers in the field. I see Hamiti winning a 8-3 type match.

149- can SVN’s natural athletic ability keep him away from AG’s explosive power. If so I see a low scoring 4-2 type match. If SVN gets caught he could easily be looking at close to a major decision loss factoring in back points.

I’ll be paying close attention to both of those.

“Amos has never lost a bout by bonus.”

I learn a lot from many of the posters on this board, but these are the kinds of nuggets I treasure and can always count on Roar to provide. Heightens my viewing enjoyment and makes me sound smart with my six kids.

Betancourt isn't even on our roster. He implied Tom is not releasing him (he commented on Burwick's tweet) but on the flip side, he should be able to be rostered.
Yeah, it seemed a bit unclear how long Tom could block him. Will decided to remain at the NLWC from what I last heard. I would think that means this semester might be in play.

More intrigue for the next few days or weeks. We are now down to the point where Qty of matches really matter. I wouldn't think Betancourt if eligible and on the team, would not see the mat unless he were significantly better than Steen. I don't expect that to be the case. Nevertheless, If all the chips fell into alignment, one would think they would have to run him out there by Jan 20th.

PS - I see he is still in the student registery, so he is taking classes, but he is not on the posted team roster. There are no clues on his Instagram other than working hard at the NLWC. The eye test tells me he is bigger than 125.

Last edited:
Reactions: Split shot
Rejected Red Oaks GIF

That
Would love to see SVN or Facundo have their moment as a freshman like when Nolf pinned Imar. Not going to be disappointed if he doesn't happen, but hope we see some fireworks!
Would be great. Even better would be a Cenzo March moment.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Thanks Roar, very informative as always. But . . . "125: How will Steen do against another tough opponent, this time #7 and returning AA Barnett. Tough road to hoe here, so just looking for improvement from the young Lion." A road can be very hard to hoe, especially if asphalt or concrete, but a row is not so hard : )

I have Big10+ but the match is not listed…anyone know of a work around to watch the match?

Edit: it’s on the Fox Sports app for those that do not have cable

Last edited:
Thanks Roar, very informative as always. But . . . "125: How will Steen do against another tough opponent, this time #7 and returning AA Barnett. Tough row to hoe here, so just looking for improvement from the young Lion." A road can be very hard to hoe, especially if asphalt or concrete, but a row is not so hard : )
Hate when that one crops up.

On Big10 Network, I'm showing PSU vs Wisconsin is on at 9pm tonight with a 1 hour slot. Yet Ohio st vs Indiana starts at 7pm with 2 hour slot. Very odd.

I love what WrestleStat does and don't like giving its critics ammo.

That's why I'm not going to even post the score the algorithm is predicting Hamiti will beat Facundo by.

17-1!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
We’ll know if Team PSU buys into those predictions if Alex wears sunglasses in the warmups …

Anyone else streaming BTN thru the Fox Sports app and having an error message that the channel isn't included with the subscription package?

Anyone else streaming BTN thru the Fox Sports app and having an error message that the channel isn't included with the subscription package?
didn't get that... but had a few time outs - weird - had to recast and every time I had to hit play (had to sign in again). Also - it seemed like the first 5 minutes of connecting had consistent 1-3 second replays. I saw the same move 2 or 3 times then it would skip to live again... so missed a few things. Good thing I was listening to Beyers

didn't get that... but had a few time outs - weird - had to recast and every time I had to hit play (had to sign in again). Also - it seemed like the first 5 minutes of connecting had consistent 1-3 second replays. I saw the same move 2 or 3 times then it would skip to live again... so missed a few things. Good thing I was listening to Beyers
When I stream the Fox Sports app using Firefox (and an ad blocker) it constantly buffers whereas other apps don't. I don't have that issue with Chrome.

ADVERTISEMENT