ADVERTISEMENT

Wisonsin is next: Most intriguing matchup...

I appreciate and respect your insight and experiences, and I have no desire to have an argument with you.
With that said, putting Facundo out there is simply a diversion. We weren't discussing 165, we were discussing 149. We also weren't discussing Cale or Nolf. What I noticed is you do not argue that what I said is incorrect.

As far as some sort of blanket statement that this is becoming HR with the "heeeeeesssss stttttaaaaallllliiiiinnnnnn" bullcrap. I do not recall seeing a singular post that the ISU 184 was stalling, just respect for a well wrestled match with a bit overdo on the "he got lucky" aspect.

People wrestle different styles. Johnson wrestles from neutral constantly moving away from his opponent, as did White. That isn't subjective. Whether it is stalling or not is somewhat subjective, but for the past 45 plus years it is a neutral style I have believed should be called stalling and the color of the singlet has never made any difference in my opinion.

Ditto my friend. I have the utmost respect for this PSU program from the coaches down to the message board warriors like myself. I wasn't throwing Facunda or RBY out there is a diversion as much as just pointing out that we all see what we want (or hope) to see in hotly contested matches. Nobody needs to sell me on SVN being an absolute hammer. There is little doubt that if that young man stays healthy there is greatness in his future. Johnson will never be that type of wrestler. I would compare Johnson to Lewis as far as style. Carter does a lot of chasing in those matches, but he finds a way to win. I think I read too much into it and truly don't want an argument anymore than you do. I wish we could have seen Casey at 141 against PSU because the styles would probably make that a 1 exchange match either way. I think a lot of ISU guys (myself included) are just giddy that we actually have something to talk about again.

Johnson was dinged for stalling in the 3rd—and at that point it was probably earned by the high rate of SVN’s (maybe not fully committed) attacks. Not sure I saw stalling before that, but I could have seen a different ref ding him again before the buzzer, which would have sent it to OT. I hope we get a rematch at nationals. I see them as dead even, and found the bout pretty exciting for the score.

Back on topic: Who can SVN scrap with that mirror’s Gomez? Bo is kinda big. Hope he can solve the puzzle in the dual, but if he can’t, he’ll probably at least learn some good stuff for future matchups. Gonna be a good one too.
What match were you watching? If SVN got close, Johnson would push off and back up. He stalled the ENTIRE match. Over 200 steps backwards and less than a dozen forward.

Have to say I like the comparison to Lewis more than the comparison to Chaz Tucker.

I mean, one is current and widely recognizable, while the other is more like, umm…hmmm…how should I put it . . . wtf is Chaz Tucker?

What match were you watching? If SVN got close, Johnson would push off and back up. He stalled the ENTIRE match. Over 200 steps backwards and less than a dozen forward.
I can’t dispute the steps backward—but that alone doesn’t seem to constitute stalling for most refs (Hidlay?) If Shayne took more shots earlier, he might have gotten several more calls. But that would’ve played into Johnson’s reattacks too. I have faith that Shayne and our coaches will figure it out.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
It's hard not to root for Paniro Johnson. I certainly plan to unless it's against a PSU guy. Western PA kid (same HS as Carter) Bad Karma kid also (that club is gaining steam fast with guys like Carter, Paniro, Cole Matthews) Pretty big time underdog story, never made PIAA Finals but good chance he wrestles in a NCAA finals sometime.

I'm with @James P. Whitters III all the way here, we can't defend RBY's style against ADS if we're going to condemn Paniro's against SVN. We're better than the "my guy can't take the other guy down so he's stalling" narrative Iowa fans present.

Have to say I like the comparison to Lewis more than the comparison to Chaz Tucker.

I mean, one is current and widely recognizable, while the other is more like, umm…hmmm…how should I put it . . . wtf is Chaz Tucker?
Just a guy who beat Arujau and DeSanto in his career, and lost to RBY 6-3 at NCAAs. Tucker's style was quite like Johnson's.

It's hard not to root for Paniro Johnson. I certainly plan to unless it's against a PSU guy. Western PA kid (same HS as Carter) Bad Karma kid also (that club is gaining steam fast with guys like Carter, Paniro, Cole Matthews) Pretty big time underdog story, never made PIAA Finals but good chance he wrestles in a NCAA finals sometime.

I'm with @James P. Whitters III all the way here, we can't defend RBY's style against ADS if we're going to condemn Paniro's against SVN. We're better than the "my guy can't take the other guy down so he's stalling" narrative Iowa fans present.
I disagree on the RBY v ADS and SVN v Johnson comparison. The whole entire match RBY was right in front of DeSanto, not going backwards wanting DeSanto to either step into a RBY shot or extend himself. DeSanto was relentless shooting at every immediate opportunity. After the ridiculousness of the"no mas" match DeSanto never again moved out from under RBY and tried to finish a single shot. His shot was to keep RBY from taking him down and to bleed the clock. There was always someone stalling in the last 4 or 5 RBY DeSanto matches, but it wasn't RBY.

Reactions: NittanyChris
So, if you are SVN, you get ready for the eventual rematch with Johnson and you beat him exactly like Cenzo beat White: wear his a$$ down and take him down in overtime when you get the opening.

Cenzo's ability to ride was a big help. In his Jr year, he rode White out for a 2-0 victory. I'm pretty sure he also added a riding time point in his 6-3 win the last time they met.

Cenzo's ability to ride was a big help. In his Jr year, he rode White out for a 2-0 victory. I'm pretty sure he also added a riding time point in his 6-3 win the last time they met.
Both times Cenzo wrestled White at the nationals he beat him in SV-OT with a takedown. In 2019-20 Cenzo beat White in regulation in the dual and again in the Big10 semi-finals. He beat him in another dual in a year prior.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
In the Jim Carlson PennLive piece this week, he quotes Cael as saying he doesn’t think Levi will be able to make 157 for long. We’ve all speculated as much. It may make him cracking the lineup this year feel more urgent though. Cael also said Terrell was banged up on New Orleans but is fine now.

If he won’t see 157 for very much longer then that’s one more reason to have him go this year. Would allow for a redshirt next year when we have Facundo and CStar at 165 and 174. Then Facundo could move up to 174 and Levi could step in at 165. If Sealey can make 157 he would be an option to go as a freshman. If Sealey is for sure never going to see 157 I wonder if he takes a greyshirt and then a redshirt? That would allow Facundo to graduate and for Sealey to then come into the lineup with 4 years left. The only way Levi shouldn’t go this year is if the coaches just think Bearclaw is the better guy but we haven’t seen any indication of that

Reactions: Ja1339
Whole lot of time for all this to play out. For all we know Levi could go 157 now, redshirt and show back up at 174, and look great.
That’s all a possibility but the key is him going this year because it gives so much flexibility going forward right when the team needs it.

It's an oddity that Bartlett has yet to face a top-20 wrestler.

He gets #26 Zargo and #20 Mattin before facing Woods later this month. I'm looking forward to that one.

Reactions: NittanyChris
If he won’t see 157 for very much longer then that’s one more reason to have him go this year. Would allow for a redshirt next year when we have Facundo and CStar at 165 and 174. Then Facundo could move up to 174 and Levi could step in at 165. If Sealey can make 157 he would be an option to go as a freshman. If Sealey is for sure never going to see 157 I wonder if he takes a greyshirt and then a redshirt? That would allow Facundo to graduate and for Sealey to then come into the lineup with 4 years left. The only way Levi shouldn’t go this year is if the coaches just think Bearclaw is the better guy but we haven’t seen any indication of that
You have a plan? 😉

Reactions: zzs006
Apparently I am wrong. Levi isn't even listed as a "or" at 157.
Yes he is, although the lineups PSU puts out there several days before a dual often are not very accurate. See link with Haines and Clay listed at 157.

Reactions: danoftw
I understand that Brooks wants to wrestle 86kg which is roughly 189 lbs.

However I could see next years line up being Levi-Facundo-CStar-Brooks from 165-197. that would allow Frichionne and Barr to either GS or RS. It would also allow either E Gibson or Kasak to go at 157.

Im just playing Checkers though

I understand that Brooks wants to wrestle 86kg which is roughly 189 lbs.

However I could see next years line up being Levi-Facundo-CStar-Brooks from 165-197. that would allow Frichionne and Barr to either GS or RS. It would also allow either E Gibson or Kasak to go at 157.

Im just playing Checkers though
I could definitely see AB going up to 197 but Carter has talked in the past about his freestyle ambitions and staying at 174 is important for those goals. Next year there is a definite opening at 197 and having AB go up and slotting Barr in at 184 could make sense. So many options and so far away. Fun for me to think about but glad I don’t actually make those decisions

If SVN was wearing an Iowa singlet, people here would have been complaining about his "Iowa style" wrestling: just pushing his opponent to the circle without really trying to score.

Yianni discovered that level changes and straight-on attacks didn't work on Johnson; in fact, taking a shot and getting stuck underneath was really risky. He finally scored a TD in OT by doing a shrug and going behind.

Johnson is a lot like Chaz Tucker his senior year: very low to the ground, very strong, very fast, and good at picking his shots. Tucker went 34-0 in that NCAA-cancelled year, by the way. If Johnson was better at finishing his shots than Yianni was at defending them, he would have beaten Yianni. Look out.
Chaz Tucker provided a new definition of low to the ground.

He talked about wanting to go 74kg at the 2024 Olympics.
I don't see how he gets there. Chubby he is not. That was in the post match interview at JR Worlds.
I believe Brooks or CStar (can’t remember which one without going back to rewatch) in their Flo interviews earlier this year alluded to the fact that they (Aaron and Carter) had discussed Brooks moving up to 86kg and CStar staying at 74kg for 2024.

Just a heads up to all you Byers' afficionados. It sounds like WRSC has very recently changed affiliations, and may no longer carry JB. If that's how you tune in today, you may need to look into other options. I'll try to post more about it as I learn it in @ItalianLion's pinned thread.
If true, I'm putting this post down for Worst Post of the Year candidate.

For those wanting direct streaming access, I have updated the spreadsheet in the pinned "Video & Audio Streaming" post above with the new Radio stations where the matches will be aired (at least thru end of Jan schedule that is published). I also added the website and iOS apps needed (at least at this time) to access those streams in the legend at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

ADVERTISEMENT