ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan is next up! Most intriguing matchup…

Scored enough to beat Marinelli, Kharchla and Hamiti (3 2022 AAs) last year to place 4th. That's clearly jumping levels from where he was originally.
that TD on Marinelli well Marinelli must have had his eyes closed not even an attempt to block!But your right he won some big matches!

That’ll be interesting for sure! Thoughts on Levi vs Lewan?
Unfortunately, I suspect we are still going to be on the Levi shirt watch for a few more weeks.

If Cael still plans to shirt Levi, I would save his fifth and final for the Iowa match for sure (granted Terrell could win that match). I want there to be an embarrassing points differential in that dual.

If Levi goes a against Lewan, is it yet another benchmark test? Possibly the final test? This match seems like the best and final opportunity to judge if the shirt comes off or stays on.

I think he beats Lewan and that pretty much settles the debate, but if he were to lose, maybe that is the catalyst to decide to hold on to his shirt. I think a loose big is totally off the table. If we see a low scoring 3-2 type loss. That clearly confirms Levi is right there, and that a few more small adjustments are needed between now and March - Cael's specialty.

If Terrell goes vs Lewan, this will be challenging and would seem to indicate Cael is going to leave the shirt on and run out Levi for Iowa to potentially get bonus. I will be really bummed out if Levi doesn't go this year.

What we really needed is both Levi and Terrell to go against at least one more top 10 guy so that we have a more crystal clear picture of potential points at nationals. Well there are no other top 10s ahead past Lewan, so Terrell's performance against Humphries from Lehigh will have to serve as the key comparison data point. I thought he aquited himself relatively well. That performance told me he can be a blood round guy, but probably that's the ceiling.

My Crystal ball says the shirt has already been pulled, Levi goes vs Lewan and Terrell goes vs Mich St. due to the quick turn around, and then we see Levi the rest of the way.

Levi then redshirts next year, and follows the same path as Zain with similar results.

Reactions: Ja1339
Unfortunately, I suspect we are still going to be on the Levi shirt watch for a few more weeks.

If Cael still plans to shirt Levi, I would save his fifth and final for the Iowa match for sure (granted Terrell could win that match). I want there to be an embarrassing points differential in that dual.

If Levi goes a against Lewan, is it yet another benchmark test? Possibly the final test? This match seems like the best and final opportunity to judge if the shirt comes off or stays on.

I think he beats Lewan and that pretty much settles the debate, but if he were to lose, maybe that is the catalyst to decide to hold on to his shirt. I think a loose big is totally off the table. If we see a low scoring 3-2 type loss. That clearly confirms Levi is right there, and that a few more small adjustments are needed between now and March - Cael's specialty.

If Terrell goes vs Lewan, this will be challenging and would seem to indicate Cael is going to leave the shirt on and run out Levi for Iowa to potentially get bonus. I will be really bummed out if Levi doesn't go this year.

What we really needed is both Levi and Terrell to go against at least one more top 10 guy so that we have a more crystal clear picture of potential points at nationals. Well there are no other top 10s ahead past Lewan, so Terrell's performance against Humphries from Lehigh will have to serve as the key comparison data point. I thought he aquited himself relatively well. That performance told me he can be a blood round guy, but probably that's the ceiling.

My Crystal ball says the shirt has already been pulled, Levi goes vs Lewan and Terrell goes vs Mich St. due to the quick turn around, and then we see Levi the rest of the way.

Levi then redshirts next year, and follows the same path as Zain with similar results.
As was pointed out by another poster or two the Michigan weekend is probably the weekend for ass dragging performances. If Levi wrestles next Friday I would expect to see him Sunday and to be physically stressed.

Reactions: phelpsp
As was pointed out by another poster or two the Michigan weekend is probably the weekend for ass dragging performances. If Levi wrestles next Friday I would expect to see him Sunday and to be physically stressed.
Saldate is someone Levi should beat on full steam, but could be a challenge if that is the annual team stress test weekend.

Levi goes chest to chest and tosses lewan for ab6 pt move and hold on , facunda will lose but it will be close strength will be his down Fall

We’re all thinking Levi goes then shirts next year and will be too big for 57. But honestly who is 57 next year, in a year when we have far more uncertainties and a closer team race? I think he needs to wrestle this year and next at 57.

We’re all thinking Levi goes then shirts next year and will be too big for 57. But honestly who is 57 next year, in a year when we have far more uncertainties and a closer team race? I think he needs to wrestle this year and next at 57.
And Nick Lee NEEDED too wrestle 149 last year. Keep hoping I say.

We’re all thinking that because our coaches as much as said it themselves.

Closer team race? Seriously, who’s stepping up?

Last edited:
And Nick Lee NEEDED too wrestle 149 last year. Keep hoping I say.

We’re all thinking that because our coaches as much as said it themselves.

Closer team race? Seriously, who’s stepping up?
Not sure a particular team becomes a contender other that Ohio State having a lot of development go right. More so us losing two national champions, still no answer at 25 then redshirting your best 57. I know it’ll work itself out. I just believe Levi making 57 for another year is apart of it

Not sure a particular team becomes a contender other that Ohio State having a lot of development go right. More so us losing two national champions, still no answer at 25 then redshirting your best 57. I know it’ll work itself out. I just believe Levi making 57 for another year is apart of it
Just for the helluva it.
125 Howard/Stein
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet

Just for the helluva it.
125 Howard/Stein
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet
Don’t count out Betancourt if he can wrestle next year. He will have had a full year of training at Penn St.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Just for the helluva it.
125 Howard/Stein
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet
Asking a lot from Davis and Barr, at least Kasak will have had a year here by then.

I like it though!!

Other than 133 what are the uncertainties next season? I expect us to be better at 141, 149, and 165 and as good (hard to be better than NCAA Champ) at 174n thru 285.

Don’t count out Betancourt if he can wrestle next year. He will have had a full year of training at Penn St.
Not picking on you, but seeing this sentiment fairly often.

Does anybody have any evidence that Betancourt is or has ever been substantially better than Steen?

Nothing against either of them, hope they succeed. But right now Steen looks like a likely 13-14 seed at B10s, and if next year's 125 is improved to the conference 11 seed, we're still having the same discussion.

Just for the helluva it.
125 Howard/Stein
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 Kasak
157 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet
I actually had pretty much the same. If SVN can be 157 next year it slots Kasak in perfectly. Definitely think Barr at 184 and AB at 197 makes the most sense. If AB stays at 184 there seems to be a pretty big hole at 197. Also, is Evans still going to be around next season? If so I think he makes more sense at 133 than Davis. Davis is going to be good but I think he will really benefit from a redshirt. I know Evans wrestled 141 earlier this year but hopefully he can make 133. Kid is very good. He beat Cayden Rooks and lost in OT 9-7 to Vince Cornella who is in the AA range in my opinion

I actually had pretty much the same. If SVN can be 157 next year it slots Kasak in perfectly. Definitely think Barr at 184 and AB at 197 makes the most sense. If AB stays at 184 there seems to be a pretty big hole at 197. Also, is Evans still going to be around next season? If so I think he makes more sense at 133 than Davis. Davis is going to be good but I think he will really benefit from a redshirt. I know Evans wrestled 141 earlier this year but hopefully he can make 133. Kid is very good. He beat Cayden Rooks and lost in OT 9-7 to Vince Cornella who is in the AA range in my opinion
Forgot about Evans just like you forgot about Ball. Ball is a tough out as well. I do think the AB move makes the most sense tho.

Reactions: 1AA and zzs006
Just for the helluva it. Unfortunatley, I don't think Howard makes his way back for a full season.

125 Noto :) /Nasdeo/Howard
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Gibson/Barraclough/Kasak
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Ball/Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet

Just kidding. Am I?

I like him also, but I guess the big question is has Evans really outgrown 133. Who knows?

Just for the helluva it. Unfortunatley, I don't think Howard makes his way back for a full season.

133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Ball/Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet

Just kidding. Am I?

A recent Junior World Champion at 71kg might be an option at 157, as well.

Not picking on you, but seeing this sentiment fairly often.

Does anybody have any evidence that Betancourt is or has ever been substantially better than Steen?

Nothing against either of them, hope they succeed. But right now Steen looks like a likely 13-14 seed at B10s, and if next year's 125 is improved to the conference 11 seed, we're still having the same discussion.
You are absolutely right and definitely hard to know what goes on in the room with how much information we get. Will was 15-6 at his 1 year at tOSU. I wasn’t saying he’d necessarily be the 125lber but i think he could be at 133 as well, that’s if Davis RS or Howard doesn’t move up (again all speculation).
Regardless the experience Steen is getting will go a long way in development

133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Ball/Barr
197 Brooks
Hwt Kerkvliet

Just kidding. Am I?
Any thoughts on whether Van Ness or Kasak is more likely to fill out to a 157? I was assuming Van Ness. I do recall Shayne mentioning possibly getting to 157 when he committed.

Reactions: Zukovski
PSU will have a hard time replicating the points from this years team next year, but so will everyone else. lowa will be without Spencer,Murin, and Warner. They will be far worse at 2 of those weights for certain. tosu hasn't proven that they will be consistant with developing guys well enough to actually become a team title factor. ISU is coming but still weak in 3-4 weight classes next year even if guys develope as I hope. Michagan will again have too many holes. Arizona St. will look really good on paper but but still 3-4 glaring holes. Mizzu should be a very good team but not good enough. I think PSU will remain the team to beat even if nothing happens in the way of the portal and no super star newcomers emerge.

Not to get ahead of this year, but the 2023-2024 squad should be just fine, IMHO.

Brooks and Starocci should be seeking their 4th championships and churning out more bonus than ever before.

Kerk should be seeking his second title.

Three returning champs is a good start.

On top of that, expect SVN, Levi and Facundo to jump levels, even if Levi can’t hold 157 and has to redshirt or beats out Facundo at 165.

Beau should be a returning AA in 2023-2024.

That makes three returning champs and an additional 3-4 returning AAs.

The recruits coming in and what we already have should easily complete another national championship team.

Not to get ahead of this year, but the 2023-2024 squad should be just fine, IMHO.

Brooks and Starocci should be seeking their 4th championships and churning out more bonus than ever before.

On top of that, expect SVN, Levi and Facundo to jump levels, even if Levi can’t hold 157 and has to redshirt or beats out Facundo at 165.

The recruits coming in and what we already have should easily complete another national championship team.
We stay healthy and its ours to lose, for many years.

Reactions: 7Springs

Agreed. The only possible barriers next year are injuries (knock on wood) and Olympic shirts -- though we've been thru 3 Olympic cycles under Cael without that becoming an issue.

Agreed. The only possible barriers next year are injuries (knock on wood) and Olympic shirts -- though we've been thru 3 Olympic cycles under Cael without that becoming an issue.
Cassar was injured attempting to qualify for the US Olympic trials. If they had wrestled the 2020 Nationals, Cassar's absence would have been significant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT