ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State Wrestling Notebook: Addressing the Offseason Rumor Mill

It was pretty evenly split on who was picking Carr or O'Toole.
Before NCAA's it was almost only KOT or MM that was picked to win, Carr was by far the third favorite to win based on what this board and others on the internet were saying. I am proud to say I had Carr, MM, KOT in that order (don't ask about my predictions for other weights)

It's been one month after the Olympics (when most speculated he would go) and based on his social media interactions and posts, I lean he is staying right now.
That would be great. Having gone to summer camp at Lake Cayuga for about 6 years, there is no way if I grew up there that I’d willingly live in the US more than easy driving distance away - unless we’re talking Carmel, CA, Puget Sound, WA or the like.

Fingerlakes/Alleghenies vs Oklahoma would take a WHOLE lot of money, and even then I’d be torn. DT was used to moving around; Dake is an Upstate guy through and through.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Carr/O'Toole was a special 2 year rivalry, their series (first 3 were 2 point takedowns)

Carr by decision 7-2
Carr by Pin O'Toole (in SV)
O'Toole by decision 8-2
O'Toole by decision 8-2
Carr by decision 8-6

The way they continuously flipped the switch over and over on each other was something else

Not sure, but my MU shaded glasses have to go KOT > Everyone. They're very similar to the blue & white shade you guys have...except mine aren't for the entire lineup at MU.
PSU Shaded Glasses:
eye-chart-vision-300x223.jpg

Missouri Shaded Glasses:
Blurry-vision.png

Iowa Shaded Glasses:
spencer-lee-mom-upset.gif

He's not beating O'Toole. If it weren't for Carter winning a 5th, Keegan would be the Hodge winner.
That post was about the 165 class.

Keegan - Mitch was looking like it would have been a toss up last year at Natty's given how they both wrestled there. Not sure how that leaves Levi out of the picture.

People can keep sleeping on Levi just like they slept on Carter. All he did was dominate his weight class at Nationals last year to cap off an undefeated season. Dominate.

Remind me again when O'Toole has an undefeated season. He's going for a Hodge against 3 guys coming off undefeated (on-the-mat) seasons.

Carter hasn't lost in 3 years and was dominating returning NCs one one leg. Let that sink in for a second. O'Toole has never come close to that - his accomplishments are far closer to Levi than Carter.

That post was about the 165 class.

Keegan - Mitch was looking like it would have been a toss up last year at Natty's given how they both wrestled there. Not sure how that leaves Levi out of the picture.

People can keep sleeping on Levi just like they slept on Carter. All he did was dominate his weight class at Nationals last year to cap off an undefeated season. Dominate.

Remind me again when O'Toole has an undefeated season. He's going for a Hodge against 3 guys coming off undefeated (on-the-mat) seasons.

Carter hasn't lost in 3 years and was dominating returning NCs one one leg. Let that sink in for a second. O'Toole has never come close to that - his accomplishments are far closer to Levi than Carter.
He was undefeated as a sophomore. Had 1 loss last year to Carr. He had 1 loss in his freshman season. Through their first 2 years of college Haines has more losses, if you want to get down to it.

The whole Carter rant you went on was completely dumb. I clearly said Carter was going to win the Hodge based on winning his 5th title. Reading comprehension is key.

Don't get your panties in a wad because someone thinks O'Toole wins 174 this year. You're sounding like some of those dudes from Hawkeye Report.

Sort of reminds of when a lot of folks were saying no one was going to beat senior, two time champion Gabe Dean….right up till Bo knocked him off for the 5th of 5 straight individual national championships.
We Did It Mic Drop GIF
That didn't surprise me at all. Bo was dangerous from any position and not afraid of the big move. Dean, while a hell of a wrestler, was much more robotic and easier to gameplan for.

Not buying this for a second. O'Toole was undefeated and had won their last 2 matches both by an 8-2 score, including B12s two weeks earlier.

I don't doubt some picked Carr, but "evenly split" fails the sniff test.
2 of KOT's 3 college losses, to that point, were to Carr. Now 3 of 4 losses. The previous year Carr won the 1st two matches, one being a fall in the Big 12 finals, and KOT won NCAA's. As much as I think of KOT it was a toss-up match and anyone that knows wrestling knew it.

Carr/O'Toole was a special 2 year rivalry, their series (first 3 were 2 point takedowns)

Carr by decision 7-2
Carr by Pin O'Toole (in SV)
O'Toole by decision 8-2
O'Toole by decision 8-2
Carr by decision 8-6

The way they continuously flipped the switch over and over on each other was something else
Which is why I said it was a toss-up match.

2 of KOT's 3 college losses, to that point, were to Carr. Now 3 of 4 losses. The previous year Carr won the 1st two matches, one being a fall in the Big 12 finals, and KOT won NCAA's. As much as I think of KOT it was a toss-up match and anyone that knows wrestling knew it.
I agree with you that people who know wrestling would say that, but many people wrote off Carr completely and if we could find a poll from before nationals I would guess KOT was the favorite then MM then Carr.

I agree with you that people who know wrestling would say that, but many people wrote off Carr completely and if we could find a poll from before nationals I would guess KOT was the favorite then MM then Carr.
Of course KOT would have been favored. He was a 2x defending champ with 2 wins over Carr. I think, personally, Carr would have been picked over MM based on Carr's past.

I completely believed the KOT-Carr winner was winning the tournament.

Of course KOT would have been favored. He was a 2x defending champ with 2 wins over Carr. I think, personally, Carr would have been picked over MM based on Carr's past.

I completely believed the KOT-Carr winner was winning the tournament.
I personally felt it was going to be a toss up semi and a toss up final. (Which it was). But many fell victim to recency bias and how good MM had looked to where Carr was a little overlooked. This year's WTT showed another example of that, where Carr-KOT-Levi all beat each other. I think if they wrestled that 165lb tournament three times last year there would have been three different winners. I am hopeful we see KOT-Levi at All Star, again during the season at National Duals and then again in the NCAA Finals. Curious to see how it all shakes out

I personally felt it was going to be a toss up semi and a toss up final. (Which it was). But many fell victim to recency bias and how good MM had looked to where Carr was a little overlooked. This year's WTT showed another example of that, where Carr-KOT-Levi all beat each other. I think if they wrestled that 165lb tournament three times last year there would have been three different winners. I am hopeful we see KOT-Levi at All Star, again during the season at National Duals and then again in the NCAA Finals. Curious to see how it all shakes out
I thought the National Duals were only for the smaller divisions, women, and NAIA?

But yes, I'd love to see KOT-Haines match up several times. I'm obviously leaning KOT all day.

I thought the National Duals were only for the smaller divisions, women, and NAIA?

But yes, I'd love to see KOT-Haines match up several times. I'm obviously leaning KOT all day.
Im talking about the Journeyman Duals tournament they call National Duals. Both Mizzou and PSU are listed as attending

He was undefeated as a sophomore. Had 1 loss last year to Carr. He had 1 loss in his freshman season. Through their first 2 years of college Haines has more losses, if you want to get down to it.

Levi lost to Austin O'Connor as a freshman (man beats boy, who wouldn't have been there -COVID)

And a tournament loss to Vince Zerbian in SV. That's a loss.

Unless Haines loses two times or more this year, he'll have fewer loses than O'Toole through three years.

And Haines had to go through the Big 10, but Haines didn't have to wrestle Carr, who is also elite.

Is O'Toole an elite wrestler, hell yeah.

Unless Haines loses two times or more this year, he'll have fewer loses than O'Toole through three years.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12

The whole Carter rant you went on was completely dumb. I clearly said Carter was going to win the Hodge based on winning his 5th title. Reading comprehension is key.

Don't get your panties in a wad because someone thinks O'Toole wins 174 this year. You're sounding like some of those dudes from Hawkeye Report.
I certainly am not getting my panties in a wad over a suggestion that O'Toole wins 174 this year. If you noticed yesterday AFTER Levi beat him, I posted that Levi and KOT were the co-favorites and clearly separate from the rest of the pack.

Where I may have misunderstood your tone is that I read it that KOT was on (or above) Carter's level and that the only reason Carter would get it over KOT this year is because he's going for his 5th. That's how it read.

Honestly, I still think that's how it reads. There was also your statement in there "Haines isn't beating KOT this year," like Levi wasn't on his level. I just think you're here backtracking and moving goalposts after yesterday.

Don't fret, you're not the only one.

Being an auditor at heart, I like opinions based on evidence,

All day, huh?

Just not this one?

I certainly am not getting my panties in a wad over a suggestion that O'Toole wins 174 this year. If you noticed yesterday AFTER Levi beat him, I posted that Levi and KOT were the co-favorites and clearly separate from the rest of the pack.

Where I may have misunderstood your tone is that I read it that KOT was on (or above) Carter's level and that the only reason Carter would get it over KOT this year is because he's going for his 5th. That's how it read.

Honestly, I still think that's how it reads. There was also your statement in there "Haines isn't beating KOT this year," like Levi wasn't on his level. I just think you're here backtracking and moving goalposts after yesterday.

Don't fret, you're not the only one.
Levi is beating Carter in the room. ;-)

Unknown Lineup Battles

133 - Nagao vs Davis

157 - Facundo vs Kasak

174 - Levi vs Ryder
Unknown yes, but with every passing day...

My guess
133 - Davis
157 - Kasak
174 - Levi

I just can't see much reason to burn Ryder's shirt just to give Levi more time to adjust to a weight where he just smashed a national champ. Yeah, yeah, freestyle....

Unknown yes, but with every passing day...

My guess
133 - Davis
157 - Kasak
174 - Levi

I just can't see much reason to burn Ryder's shirt just to give Levi more time to adjust to a weight where he just smashed a national champ. Yeah, yeah, freestyle....
Agree on all 3. I feel bad but I don't think Alex will be effective at 157. Willie said Davis "just beats" Nagao now (though a lot of it might have to do with injury) but I think Davis has a lot more room to grow obviously being a true sophomore who is now cutting less. If Nagao can get a medical, that would be great.

Agree on all 3. I feel bad but I don't think Alex will be effective at 157. Willie said Davis "just beats" Nagao now (though a lot of it might have to do with injury) but I think Davis has a lot more room to grow obviously being a true sophomore who is now cutting less. If Nagao can get a medical, that would be great.
Nagao getting a medical and looking at 141 next year would be perfect for him. Just depends on if Marcus Blaze will come in and take the 141lb spot or not.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Lilledahl in the student directory
Levi registered at 79kg for WTT
Carter AS challenge at 190
Kerk is still big

Updated
MM and Zack Ryder have certed. Mitch weighed in between 165.1 and 174. Ryder between 174.1 and 184.

Once Kasak, Carter, Barr and Levi cert, and after Facundo's cert is corrected (I heard from good authority that he is "highly confident any reference to Alec's weight cert is in error🤣), we will be forced to turn our attention to other things because the lineup will be set.

MM and Zack Ryder have certed. Mitch weighed in between 165.1 and 174. Ryder between 174.1 and 184.

Once Kasak, Carter, Barr and Levi cert, and after Facundo's cert is corrected (I heard from good authority that he is "highly confident any reference to Alec's weight cert is in error🤣), we will be forced to turn our attention to other things because the lineup will be set.
Has Joe Sealy certified yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT