ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State Wrestling Notebook: Addressing the Offseason Rumor Mill

You can be favored and it still be considered a toss-up match. The Chiefs were favored yesterday, but everyone knew it was going to be a toss-up on the winner.
Frustrated The Sopranos GIF

I think it's pretty clearly Barr. Mirasola will RS this year, then go 197 and Barr will drop to 184.

Last night while having a PSU wrestling conversation and asking questions and generally being told "you know, top secret so I can't really say" I was ask how I thought the lineup would look. I went through my guesses and when i got to 197 I said Barr will wrestle 197 and Mirasola will redshirt. I got a response, "maybe, if Barr wins the spot Mirasola will redshirt."

Interesting answer.

Last night while having a PSU wrestling conversation and asking questions and generally being told "you know, top secret so I can't really say" I was ask how I thought the lineup would look. I went through my guesses and when i got to 197 I said Barr will wrestle 197 and Mirasola will redshirt. I got a response, "maybe, if Barr wins the spot Mirasola will redshirt."

Interesting answer.

I think Mirasola would beat Barr in a wrestle off.

That said, from what I've seen at Worlds and other matches he's wrestled, he needs some work on the mental side of things, specifically match management. I am not his coach and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn recently, but I think a season spent in the room and on the east coast Open circuit would be good for his development.

Interesting answer.
Seems like the young studs coming in aren’t interested in redshirting.

I got a response, "maybe, if Barr wins the spot Mirasola will redshirt."

Interesting answer.
As usual I am probably an outlier, but to hear Barr has (may have) to compete for the slot this year is certainly a surprise, and definitely is not optimal for navigating the log jam for the team.

That said, if he has to win the spot, and does, who's to say he wants to, or needs to go back down next year? :). Oh no, here we go again, but I didn't start it this time.

Now to really kick a hornet's nest.

I'll say it. I'm general terms, I think Barr has higher upside than Conner. I think Conner's ceiling is a high AA but not a national champion, and Barr is NC caliber, certainly at 184, and likely at 197 if he were to bulk up for it further, beyond next year.

I don't think anyone on here today sees Conner at risk of starting next year at 197, but I'll raise my hand to say it is certainly 'plausable' if things play out as postulated above. Likewise, I think Cole may have a very short half life as a starter at heavy. Heck maybe Conner could get pressure to move up? I really don't like either of them at heavy weight. I see low AA potential there, and zero chance of a NC, given in all likelihood 230 is probably a max weight. Yeah, yeah, Snyder and Cassar, I know, but I call them as I see them.

Ok. I am sitting down, let me have it.

Seems like the young studs coming in aren’t interested in redshirting.
I agree with others that redshirting to maximize lineups may not be an operative concept for a little while. With the current roster and the top level recruits coming in, it could be that redshirting a year might just be met with a similar logjam with different faces. Two factors cause me not to worry too much, though. One, not every recruit meets expectations - even among the battle-tested ones PSU is getting currently. Two, injuries are an unfortunate reality.

I just wish PSU still hosted the Nittany Lion Open in the preseason. The PSU on PSU crime going on with this roster would be incredible to witness.

I agree with others that redshirting to maximize lineups may not be an operative concept for a little while. With the current roster and the top level recruits coming in, it could be that redshirting a year might just be met with a similar logjam with different faces. Two factors cause me not to worry too much, though. One, not every recruit meets expectations - even among the battle-tested ones PSU is getting currently. Two, injuries are an unfortunate reality.

I just wish PSU still hosted the Nittany Lion Open in the preseason. The PSU on PSU crime going on with this roster would be incredible to witness.
Looks like they doing that round robin tourney again this year..should see some PSU on PSU crime there..didn't they have Steen, Howard and Davis in same round robin last year? Messenbrink and Bearclaw, etc..

The reality is that today's high recruit true frosh is often ready to complete for AA or a National Championship right out of the gate. I think a redshirt made a lot of sense 15+ years ago when wrestlers entering college were more likely to need a year in the room before being competitive. Yes, there were a few exceptions like Kolat but most frosh just weren't ready to compete out of the gate.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Being an auditor at heart, I like opinions based on evidence,

All day, huh?

Just not this one?

Yes, even that one I was leaning KOT. He didn't wrestle like he typically does and Haines stayed in great position and capitalized when the opportunities came.

I certainly am not getting my panties in a wad over a suggestion that O'Toole wins 174 this year. If you noticed yesterday AFTER Levi beat him, I posted that Levi and KOT were the co-favorites and clearly separate from the rest of the pack.

Where I may have misunderstood your tone is that I read it that KOT was on (or above) Carter's level and that the only reason Carter would get it over KOT this year is because he's going for his 5th. That's how it read.

Honestly, I still think that's how it reads. There was also your statement in there "Haines isn't beating KOT this year," like Levi wasn't on his level. I just think you're here backtracking and moving goalposts after yesterday.

Don't fret, you're not the only one.
If that's how you read it, that's not how it was intended. Levi is obviously on O'Toole's level. I still stand by my statement that Haines doesn't beat KOT this upcoming season.

Win or lose for KOT, the matches are gonna be electric and I can't wait to see them.

Levi lost to Austin O'Connor as a freshman (man beats boy, who wouldn't have been there -COVID)

And a tournament loss to Vince Zerbian in SV. That's a loss.

Unless Haines loses two times or more this year, he'll have fewer loses than O'Toole through three years.

And Haines had to go through the Big 10, but Haines didn't have to wrestle Carr, who is also elite.

Is O'Toole an elite wrestler, hell yeah.

Unless Haines loses two times or more this year, he'll have fewer loses than O'Toole through three years.
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here? Yes, Haines would have to lose twice to have as many losses as O'Toole has in 3 years?

I wish the Mat Town tournament was still a team invitational as well.

Optimal navigation of the logjam doesn’t include competing to see who the best wrestler at the weight is?
If redshirts have no meaning, I would agree with you. I didn't know we were there yet, especial as we approach 2 deep in a number weight classes this year and next.

Reactions: mcpat
If redshirts have no meaning, I would agree with you. I didn't know we were there yet, especial as we approach 2 deep in a number weight classes this year and next.
Gotcha. Yes - I think using the redshirts to give everyone their shot is part of it.

Yes, I do miss the NLO too.

If that's how you read it, that's not how it was intended. Levi is obviously on O'Toole's level. I still stand by my statement that Haines doesn't beat KOT this upcoming season.

Win or lose for KOT, the matches are gonna be electric and I can't wait to see them.
I stand by the statement that KOT doesn't ever beat Levi so there put that in your pipe and smoke it know it all

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
No pressure to Josh Barr ... we have Mesenbrink, Levi, Starocci, Barr and Kerk in a row. He must win a national title or there is no murderers row.

But it's okay, if that fails Kasak/Facundo can fill that role in 157 connecting from Shayne to Starocci.

Or we can have a lot of fun and just win 7 in a row with both Kasak/Facundo and Barr winning.

But why stop there when Bartlett was inches from winning last year also?

Come to think of it though, many thinks Luke will be the man to beat at 125 by next March and Braeden can jump a level after winning Big Tens as a true freshman making a hard cut.

Let's just win all 10 weights.

Give me all the offseason kool Aid

No pressure to Josh Barr ... we have Mesenbrink, Levi, Starocci, Barr and Kerk in a row. He must win a national title or there is no murderers row.

But it's okay, if that fails Kasak/Facundo can fill that role in 157 connecting from Shayne to Starocci.

Or we can have a lot of fun and just win 7 in a row with both Kasak/Facundo and Barr winning.

But why stop there when Bartlett was inches from winning last year also?

Come to think of it though, many thinks Luke will be the man to beat at 125 by next March and Braeden can jump a level after winning Big Tens as a true freshman making a hard cut.

Let's just win all 10 weights.

Give me all the offseason kool Aid
I think we have a good shot at 10AAs next year, and minimum 4 champs.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
How we handle 133 will be interesting. Wish we could get Braeden the match vs Crookham without burning his redshirt but that rule is only for true freshman.
I think 133 is an ideal weight for Davis, but a RS would also help with maturity. Do we know anything about Nagao's injury?

Barr's certification was entered today (or yesterday). Weighed in between 184.1 and 197. Not much info to be gleaned from that one except he will either be too light to contend or too heavy to make it back to 184 next year. :cool:
Is Starocci/Barr at 184/197 better for the team than Barr/Starocci at 184/197? Assuming those are the two guys. Is Carter at more risk of losing at 197 than 184? Or doesn't it matter?

Is Starocci/Barr at 184/197 better for the team than Barr/Starocci at 184/197? Assuming those are the two guys. Is Carter at more risk of losing at 197 than 184? Or doesn't it matter?
Carter is going wherever he wants and Barr/Mirasola/? is going the other spot. So it doesn't matter which is better.

But Carter is not in danger of losing either weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT