ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
Gotta like PSU's trajectory, especially given the team injuries, covid, & sending 6 newborns to the Conference Championship.

2020 B1G Team Score2021 B1G Team Score
1. Iowa 157.5
2. Nebraska 132
3. Ohio State 112
4. Penn State 107
5. Purdue 83
1. Iowa 159.5
2. Penn State 124
3. Nebraska 104.5
4. Michigan 90
5. Minnesota 77.5

PSU B1G Starters 2020PSU B1G Starters 2021
125 – Brandon Meredith (DNP)
133 – Roman Bravo-Young (2nd)
141 – Nick Lee (2nd)
149 – Jarod Verkleeren (DNP)
157 – Bo Pipher (DNP)
165 – Vincezo Joseph (2nd)
174 – Mark Hall (1st)
184 – Aaron Brooks (1st)
197 – Shakur Rasheed (4th)
285 – Seth Nevills (DNP)
125 – Robbie Howard (6th)
133 – Roman Bravo-Young (1st)
141 – Nick Lee (2nd)
149 – Beau Bartlett (DNP)
157 – Brady Berge (6th)
165 – Joe Lee (8th)
174 – Carter Starocci (2nd)
184 – Aaron Brooks (1st)
197 – Michael Beard (6th)
285 – Greg Kerkvliet (4th)

Our team transformed itself from an upper classman heavy line up to one with 6 freshman and improved our standings considerably. I'm not sure what else could be asked for in such a bizarre season ... or ANY season for that matter. Kudos go out to the team for this great accomplishment.

I am really looking forward to watching this core group of young wrestlers develop. I would also like to see Lee and RBY be on the squad as 6 year seniors. I think they both still have a RS available plus this free year.

We should be stacked in a couple of years.

We will be "stacked" next year with all of these guys having another year in the room. If Iowa loses even one of their current juggernaut lineup, it will tighten the gap considerably. I would be surprised if Spencer didn't decide to focus on his international career and I can't see Kemerer and Eirmann coming back for a 7th year each. Some of these guys are going to want to get on with the rest of their lives and not go through another grind of a full college season. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out for the Hawks and if their lineup remains fully intact.

We will be "stacked" next year with all of these guys having another year in the room. If Iowa loses even one of their current juggernaut lineup, it will tighten the gap considerably. I would be surprised if Spencer didn't decide to focus on his international career and I can't see Kemerer and Eirmann coming back for a 7th year each. Some of these guys are going to want to get on with the rest of their lives and not go through another grind of a full college season. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out for the Hawks and if their lineup remains fully intact.
IF they win this year, I would be utterly shocked if they didn’t all return. With Eierman and Kemerer taking enough credits to stay eligible and only showing up for big duals and tourneys, a la Snyder.

The Hawks will all be back. Spencer will want #4. Marinelli's wife works there. Kemerer's grandchildren live nearby. And Eireman has no were else to go.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Spencer will come back to cement legacy as the only 4x NC for iowa.

If kemdawg and JE get titles and a team title at their age I would respect them walking away. They accomplished it all why come back for a 13 grad degree and take on more loans or expenditures that you could put to other uses.

I could see marinelli walking but he seems like an IC lifer so why leave.

Reactions: Fatmarc
IF they win this year, I would be utterly shocked if they didn’t all return. With Eierman and Kemerer taking enough credits to stay eligible and only showing up for big duals and tourneys, a la Snyder.
I'm of the opposite frame of mine. If they lose this year, they come back for a chance at redemption. If they win this year some of them don't come back.

I would think what Iowa kids area studying would factor in as well. If they are truly working towards a master or doctorate... why not stay??

Going back to the OP, I’m truly, deeply grateful we had some form of a season this year. And it was really fun to throw in the “free year, no redshirts” dynamic. It has shown, IMO, why redshirts are common (anyone remember Cyler vs DT?)

No, the results aren’t (yet 🤞) what we spoiled fans are accustomed to, but in a year where so much has been difficult, cheering for these young Lions has been profoundly gratifying.

Iowa has a fantastic lineup. Eirerman and Kem used tremendous skill to score jaw-dropping points against 2 of our studs. Spencer is gonna win a dang gold medal for us. Their fans should be smiling bigly. We’re all competing with the same rules. This morning, they are the better team.

I’m still majorly Penn State Proud this morning. And can’t wait for the greatest weekend in sports very soon.

If kemdawg and JE get titles and a team title at their age I would respect them walking away. They accomplished it all why come back for a 13 grad degree and take on more loans or expenditures that you could put to other uses.

At Iowa, grad students get free tuition and a salary if they do some teaching.

Reactions: dsites52
To serious it up, I'm grateful for a number of blessings. I'm grateful for the guys in the room that get no fanfare, from Bo Pipher, Luke Gardener, Levko Higgans, and Austin Hoopes. They are in the room every day. They step on the mat whenever and wherever needed. They leave it out there every day without the adoration from all of us. I'm grateful for the best coaching staff in the land. They teach these great athletes to be even greater young (and eventually old) men. They do it without stunting their own individual personalities, which is a tricky thing in the era of social media. I'm grateful for the tremendous athletes we are blessed to cheer on every year. Most of us have a sliver of an idea of how difficult life as a wrestler can be. I'm grateful for the Iowa Hawkeyes. It is great competition that makes it fun to cheer for great teams. It is their skill and effort that make it fun to watch our Nittany Lions battle for championships. Finally, I'm grateful for all of you, our fans. They are the greatest in the land. We occasionally stumble and fall, but the rest of us are there to pick them up and remind them of what makes University Park the magical place that it will always remain.
This is a great year because we don't have to be depressed in 2 weeks. We have the Olympic Trials, and hopefully a full Olympic Games to keep us focused on competition. And then we will not be Hawkeyes or Nittany Lions. We will be Americans, the greatest blessing of all. Spencer or Gilman, Zain or Yianni, Jordan or Whackadoo, DT or well...DT, J'den or Kyle, Gwiz or Gable, they will all be in red white and blue and it will be great.
So here is to a healthy and successful NCAA Championship. Our young guns still have some bullets and it will be so much fun to watch. Grateful for that too!

Last edited:
To serious it up, I'm grateful for a number of blessings. I'm grateful for the guys in the room that get no fanfare, from Bo Pipher, Luke Gardener, Levko Higgans, and Austin Hoopes. They are in the room every day. They step on the mat whenever and wherever needed. They leave it out there every day without the adoration from all of us. I'm grateful for the best coaching staff in the land. They teach these great athletes to be even greater young (and eventually old) men. They do it without stunting their own individual personalities, which is a tricky thing in the era of social media. I'm grateful for the tremendous athletes we are blessed to cheer on every year. Most of us have a sliver of an idea of how difficult life as a wrestler can be. I'm grateful for the Iowa Hawkeyes. It is great competition that makes it fun to cheer for great teams. It is their skill and effort that make it fun to watch our Nittany Lions battle for championships. Finally, I'm grateful for all of you, our fans. They are the greatest in the land. We occasionally stumble and fall, but the rest of us are there to pick them up and remind them of what makes University Park the magical place that it will always remain.
This is a great year because we don't have to be depressed in 2 weeks. We have the Olympic Trials, and hopefully a full Olympic Games to keep us focused on competition. And then we will not be Hawkeyes or Nittany Lions. We will be Americans, the greatest blessing of all. Spencer or Gilman, Zain or Yianni, Jordan or Whackadoo, DT or well...DT, J'den or Kyle, Gwiz or Gable, they will all be in red white and blue and it will be great.
So here is to a healthy and successful NCAA Championship. Our you guns still have some bullets and it will be so much fun to watch. Grateful for that too!

I'm of the opposite frame of mine. If they lose this year, they come back for a chance at redemption. If they win this year some of them don't come back.

I think if they win this year most...if not all will return, they would love to have a back to back, while they have a chance.

Gotta like PSU's trajectory, especially given the team injuries, covid, & sending 6 newborns to the Conference Championship.

2020 B1G Team Score2021 B1G Team Score
1. Iowa 157.5
2. Nebraska 132
3. Ohio State 112
4. Penn State 107
5. Purdue 83
1. Iowa 159.5
2. Penn State 124
3. Nebraska 104.5
4. Michigan 90
5. Minnesota 77.5

PSU B1G Starters 2020PSU B1G Starters 2021
125 – Brandon Meredith (DNP)
133 – Roman Bravo-Young (2nd)
141 – Nick Lee (2nd)
149 – Jarod Verkleeren (DNP)
157 – Bo Pipher (DNP)
165 – Vincezo Joseph (2nd)
174 – Mark Hall (1st)
184 – Aaron Brooks (1st)
197 – Shakur Rasheed (4th)
285 – Seth Nevills (DNP)
125 – Robbie Howard (6th)
133 – Roman Bravo-Young (1st)
141 – Nick Lee (2nd)
149 – Beau Bartlett (DNP)
157 – Brady Berge (6th)
165 – Joe Lee (8th)
174 – Carter Starocci (2nd)
184 – Aaron Brooks (1st)
197 – Michael Beard (6th)
285 – Greg Kerkvliet (4th)

don't forget about the injuries last year. we were missing berge at 157 and cassar at 285. if we had those guys last year, our team score would have likely decreased year over year

I would like to agree with that but I am taking the conservative approach. Do you see any of the current first year freshman, taking a redshirt, and having the free season this year as well?

Plus we really don't know what next season is going to look like, I hope that Covid does not impact the sport like it did this year.

I think if they win this year most...if not all will return, they would love to have a back to back, while they have a chance.

Haven't they all already said they're coming back?

Obviously things can change, but their 5+ year seniors next year are mostly guys who "moving on" just means they wrestle for HWC.

It's not like they are declaring for the draft. They are just moving to the other side of Gable's curtain.

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Taking 6 Fr to the Big Tens is tough enough in a normal year, doing it in a year when they have only a handful of matches under their belt, then finishing 2nd is an impressive feat.

I think though, now that I've seen them in tourney action, I'm going to adjust my expectations a bit for NCAAs. I was all in with those who felt we could have 9-10 AAs this year. While 10 will clearly not happen, I'm thinking now that 9 is also a longshot.

RBY, N Lee, CStar, Brooks and Kerk are right there, but the others are going to have an uphill climb IMO. Not impossible, the talent is there, but the big thing is that our youngsters will come back next year with tourney experience under their belt.

I'm not conceding the team championship just yet, either way though, it's going to be fun watching these kids develop.

You're assuming he gets #3. With the free no-swab testing being offered to students at CHA next to the wrestling room I wouldn't be so sure that happens.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Nice thread. We are very fortunate fans, blessed in so many ways, able to witness a period in Penn State wrestling history that I'm doubtful any of us could have imaged. I'm approaching 50 years as an avid fan, so I've seen many of the glory years of the past, as well as the lean years, but nothing like we have seen in the last 12 years. It STILL feels like it is a dream some days.

As far as the OP's intent, I feel for the kids that didn't have the tourney they wanted, but all is mostly good to me. This team is young. That disappointment will be turned into future success. Whether immediate or not will be seen, but over the longer run it will happen.

I agree about Spencer. How do they balance Ayala, Henson, & Kennedy waiting in the wings & $44K/yr out of state tuition for DeSanto, Murin, Eierman, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer (all non-Iowans)? Won't more than a few of them want to get on with their lives a la Cenzo & Marky?

Nice thread. We are very fortunate fans, blessed in so many ways, able to witness a period in Penn State wrestling history that I'm doubtful any of us could have imaged. I'm approaching 50 years as an avid fan, so I've seen many of the glory years of the past, as well as the lean years, but nothing like we have seen in the last 12 years. It STILL feels like it is a dream some days.

As far as the OP's intent, I feel for the kids that didn't have the tourney they wanted, but all is mostly good to me. This team is young. That disappointment will be turned into future success. Whether immediate or not will be seen, but over the longer run it will happen.
Wrestling this year and getting to wrestle in the tournament is like red-shirting on steroids! Invaluable experience. Wait...I think that will get me quoted on HR.

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I would like to agree with that but I am taking the conservative approach. Do you see any of the current first year freshman, taking a redshirt, and having the free season this year as well?

Plus we really don't know what next season is going to look like, I hope that Covid does not impact the sport like it did this year.

The only freshmen that wrestled this year that have a redshirt available are Howard and Bartlett. I can see Bartlett redshirting if he doesn't grow into a true 149 so he can take over 141 after Nick leaves. However, then Van Ness would be the 149 starter so that would not hurt (possibly help) the team.

I agree about Spencer. How do they balance Ayala, Henson, & Kennedy waiting in the wings & $44K/yr out of state tuition for DeSanto, Murin, Eierman, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer (all non-Iowans)? Won't more than a few of them want to get on with their lives a la Cenzo & Marky?

All the things PSU fans say about Cael balancing scholarships and wrestlers/their families being willing to sacrifice to wrestle at PSU are largely true about the Hawkeyes too.

Well Young is married to a Brands and as mentioned above Marinelli's wife works for the team so seems like at least those 2 will be sticking around Iowa City for awhile (and I guess getting married while you're in college is one way to "get on with your life" while still being able to wrestle). For Young's stomach's sake I hope Kemerer hangs 'em up so that Young and Marinelli can bump up.

Won't more than a few of them want to get on with their lives a la Cenzo & Marky?
I'm pretty dang sure that at least Cenzo would have come back this year if he was allowed to. Maybe not Mark, from some of his recent comments.

Here is some perspective for you.

A few years ago we were in the tightest race on paper in memory, a battle if two titans going at it in the greatest dual ever, as well as the most exciting nationals you could imagine going down to the second to last match of the tourney - 'he's got the chin'.

Now here we stand with a new team less those 5 National Champions. We finish 2nd in B1G with room to spare, in a shortened year, with a team dominated by freshmen.

If you want some perspective, how did the other Titan handle that transition? 9th.

3 years from now we will see how well Iowa does as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT