ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

Update from @Chris Peak on Pitt’s 2019 recruiting class.

“While the class is not ranked high and only has 1 4 star, I don’t think there are any reaches or plan B guys”

It’s no wonder why Pitt fans are so delusional with expectations. No plan B guys in a class ranked 53rd that is something else!

Pitt offered NINETY (90....NINE ZERO)....four and five star players and landed none of them (per composite). How is their entire class not considered "Plan B" types?

Reactions: ELDADDY and Hotshoe
I think Pitt got a bowl win today. Didn't feel like checking but I believe they lost to Ole Miss a few years back. Ole Miss just had a bunch of wins vacated. If so, they have that going for them.

When another team vacates a win, both teams lose. (unless it's Pitt, they get another National Title)

I think Pitt got a bowl win today. Didn't feel like checking but I believe they lost to Ole Miss a few years back. Ole Miss just had a bunch of wins vacated. If so, they have that going for them.

Well, if that is so, that should be enough for Pitt to award itself another national championship!

"Pitt, the 'Elizabeth Warren' of national championships (they only need 1/1024th of what's needed by all other schools to claim one)!"

Last edited:
When another team vacates a win, both teams lose. (unless it's Pitt, they get another National Title)
They're too stupid to know that the NCAA doesn't vacate losses, only wins. That subject comes up every time the NCAA dusts off that worthless punishment.

I believe (too lazy to figure it out) the team vacating the win does not have a loss added to the tally. For W/L record purposes, it's like the vacating team never played the game.

Pitt offered NINETY (90....NINE ZERO)....four and five star players and landed none of them (per composite). How is their entire class not considered "Plan B" types?

I believe they were going to go hard after the 4 and 5 stars if the 2 and 3 stars turned them down

I enjoy Pitt fans talking about the transfer portal. They think kids should transfer wherever they desire at any time thinking it will hurt the elite programs. They fail to realize someday they will once again have a decent player and Alabama, OSU, or gasp Penn State will talk them into playing for a winner for the remainder of their career

I believe they were going to go hard after the 4 and 5 stars if the 2 and 3 stars turned them down

I enjoy Pitt fans talking about the transfer portal. They think kids should transfer wherever they desire at any time thinking it will hurt the elite programs. They fail to realize someday they will once again have a decent player and Alabama, OSU, or gasp Penn State will talk them into playing for a winner for the remainder of their career

You tell 'em judge and mauti!!

How Pitt fans think recruiting works...

McKee Place

Not to generalize ... and I'm sure some of you geezers here are proud exceptions... but let's face it, (Assistant coaches who are) younger guys are more likely to be single, able to hit the road constantly, and especially, to be willing to take the recruits out to strip clubs and get them boozed up.

Plus, they're working for big money blue bloods, willing to pay, willing to have em conduct the activities above. So that doesn't hurt either. Put em on our church lady team, and see if they're as effective.

McKee Place

Not to generalize ... and I'm sure some of you geezers here are proud exceptions... but let's face it, (Assistant coaches who are) younger guys are more likely to be single, able to hit the road constantly, and especially, to be willing to take the recruits out to strip clubs and get them boozed up.

Plus, they're working for big money blue bloods, willing to pay, willing to have em conduct the activities above. So that doesn't hurt either. Put em on our church lady team, and see if they're as effective.
I’m done with the Lair until after Lent. The schizofrentic behavior is driving me insane. On one hand stars don’t matter on the other hand we’re unable to recruit and doomed. Everyone else cheats that’s why we can’t win, but we’re only one player away from the playoffs because we won the Coastal. Uniforms and logos determine victories, and Qb’s that pass for at least 8 yards in a game are Heisman candidates. Those plus endless other tidbits of nonsense have actually taken the joy out of laughing at them.

I’m done with the Lair until after Lent. The schizofrentic behavior is driving me insane. On one hand stars don’t matter on the other hand we’re unable to recruit and doomed. Everyone else cheats that’s why we can’t win, but we’re only one player away from the playoffs because we won the Coastal. Uniforms and logos determine victories, and Qb’s that pass for at least 8 yards in a game are Heisman candidates. Those plus endless other tidbits of nonsense have actually taken the joy out of laughing at them.

With the 51-6 and Penn State recruiting on an Alabama/Georgia/OSU tier while they are.........not......it's funny, all of the Penn State topics seemed to have dried up. Go figure.

iu

The gig's up on the Lair, and they know it. The recruiting war, the win/loss war, the series war, all of them are over, and we've won. The only thing they have left is ripping on Franklin, and except for the brainstem-functional Daminals, even that is rather half-hearted. They'd all take Franklin in a millisecond if they could.

Agree, it's sad. Sometimes complete total victory can be boring.

McKee Place

You mean like the golden panthers used to do?

The gig's up on the Lair, and they know it. The recruiting war, the win/loss war, the series war, all of them are over, and we've won. The only thing they have left is ripping on Franklin, and except for the brainstem-functional Daminals, even that is rather half-hearted. They'd all take Franklin in a millisecond if they could.

Even if Pitt were to somehow pull off the upset for the ages and beat PSU this season to bring the 4 game series to 2-2, PSU would still win the series via tiebreaker of points scored in the series. (Unless of course Pitt could win by 62 points. Considering Pitt has only scored 62 points in all 3 games so far, most of them coming in the 2016 fluke game.)

PSU has won 9 of the last 11 meetings. 29.5 of the last 40 meetings, and still lead the series. Since they aren't on the schedule again, most Pitt fans will go to their graves remembering being totally dominated by PSU.

Even the trolls over here have given up.

iu

iu

Today they are suggesting that Franklin's recruiting success stems from having put together a bevy of lovely undergraduate women who apparently cater to every recruits needs and desires.

I mean, that is just weak. They used to be so much better than that.

Franklin is always a huge hit with the parents. I'm sure he manages that by getting their sons drunk in bars and then parading sluts to their rooms. Parents love that.

GIS for "college sluts" to avoid a flag.

iu

Reactions: JJTopp99 and 81b&w
Today they are suggesting that Franklin's recruiting success stems from having put together a bevy of lovely undergraduate women who apparently cater to every recruits needs and desires.

I mean, that is just weak. They used to be so much better than that.

Franklin is living inside of Daminals and the lairs head. Penn State will win this years game by 20 plus and it will eliminate the discussion about this being a rivalry when a team wins the last 3 games by an avg of almost 30 pts.

The lair is better off when these two teams do not play and they can talk about how they would have won if they did play.

I’m adhering to my promise to not visit the Lair until after Lent. Somehow I feel so much cleaner.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Franklin is always a huge hit with the parents. I'm sure he manages that by getting their sons drunk in bars and then parading sluts to their rooms. Parents love that.

GIS for "college sluts" to avoid a flag.

iu

And I thought I’d never have a be-right-back moment reading a pitt thread.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

Imagine losing your past 3 football games. 2 by blowouts to finish 7-7 and losing 9 straight men’s basketball games with 21 straight L on the road and have a local media member write an article about things looking bright

Hope springs eternal at The Lair. They welcomed the NCAA sanctions thinking that they might profit and they actually fell farther behind PSU than ever before. Now, they are convinced the transfer portal is the answer to their prayers. How many players would leave Pitt if they were good enough to play anywhere else?

Even if Pitt were to somehow pull off the upset for the ages and beat PSU this season to bring the 4 game series to 2-2, PSU would still win the series via tiebreaker of points scored in the series. (Unless of course Pitt could win by 62 points. Considering Pitt has only scored 62 points in all 3 games so far, most of them coming in the 2016 fluke game.)

PSU has won 9 of the last 11 meetings. 29.5 of the last 40 meetings, and still lead the series. Since they aren't on the schedule again, most Pitt fans will go to their graves remembering being totally dominated by PSU.
Virtually all the points in the first half of the first game! Using Lair Logic.....we beat ourselves....LOL

Imagine losing your past 3 football games. 2 by blowouts to finish 7-7 and losing 9 straight men’s basketball games with 21 straight L on the road and have a local media member write an article about things looking bright

The next step is for Pitt to win with regularity and compete for ACC championships — and unlike four or five years ago, it is finally poised to do just that.

Would love to get specifics on how Pitt is “poised” to compete with Clemson for ACC Championships.

The best pa
Hope springs eternal at The Lair. They welcomed the NCAA sanctions thinking that they might profit and they actually fell farther behind PSU than ever before. Now, they are convinced the transfer portal is the answer to their prayers. How many players would leave Pitt if they were good enough to play anywhere else?

Penn State is definitely going to have a hard time replacing all these guys who couldn’t get on the field with Elite talent

2 guys in the portal would have been contributors.

Juwan Johnson - he was not starting over Shorter, Dotson, or Hamler. Daniel George is behind them. He didn’t want to be a senior contributing less as he did as a sophomore

Zach McPherson - hasn’t really played much and saw the writing on the wall with Keaton Ellis coming in and others passing him. Had potential to be a # 4 corner

The reality is this allows penn state to take 28 kids in the 2020 class which will be elite and state 3 straight elite classes on top of each other

The next step is for Pitt to win with regularity and compete for ACC championships — and unlike four or five years ago, it is finally poised to do just that.

Would love to get specifics on how Pitt is “poised” to compete with Clemson for ACC Championships.

It’s amazing the amount of delusion these Pitt fanboy writers bring to the table. Pitt is 12-14 in the last 2 years. Against p5 teams under Narduzzi they are abysmal. Sadly, I think this will be Narduzzi’s last year. I am not sure they beat Ohio. They will lose by at least 3tds at penn state. The fan base will quit knowing the penn state series is over and they have nothing to look forward to for at least a decade

It’s amazing the amount of delusion these Pitt fanboy writers bring to the table. Pitt is 12-14 in the last 2 years. Against p5 teams under Narduzzi they are abysmal. Sadly, I think this will be Narduzzi’s last year. I am not sure they beat Ohio. They will lose by at least 3tds at penn state. The fan base will quit knowing the penn state series is over and they have nothing to look forward to for at least a decade

Athletic department is broke and they signed Duzz to an extension. Not sure they can afford to get rid of him.

They don't have the money to fire Narduzzi especially after the $7+ million they paid out to Stallings and the money they had to lay out to get Capel to try to resurrect their basketball program for a few years before he moves onto his real job. He's like Ash at Rutgers. They know he can't do the job but can't afford to fire him. he'll be acting like a crazy man on the sidelines at Heinz Field at least through 2022.

Pitt could be poised to compete for championships in the ACC if a 1. meteor hits the Clemson practice facility or 2. the bubonic plague infects the team.3.All other league members agree to recruit only athletes with no P5 offers.

They don't have the money to fire Narduzzi especially after the $7+ million they paid out to Stallings and the money they had to lay out to get Capel to try to resurrect their basketball program for a few years before he moves onto his real job. He's like Ash at Rutgers. They know he can't do the job but can't afford to fire him. he'll be acting like a crazy man on the sidelines at Heinz Field at least through 2022.
Capel has the right stuff.
“One of the most important things I learned during my time as a collegiate player was you have to fight for everything that you want. It’s not given. It’s not a birthright. You have to earn it,” Capel said. “And you earn it by what you do every day, how you show up every day. You have to keep pushing.”

After college, Capel played pro ball for two years, in France and the Continental Basketball Association, then joined his father’s coaching staff at Old Dominion. At age 27, he became head coach at Virginia Commonwealth, won a ton of games and made the NCAA tournament in 2004. That led to the head coaching job at Oklahoma in 2006. He was 31 years old.

Capel recruited future NBA superstar Blake Griffin, who in 2009 took Oklahoma to the Elite Eight, where the Sooners lost to eventual champion North Carolina. But Oklahoma struggled after Griffin’s departure and a key player’s injury. Capel was fired in 2011. Later that year, Oklahoma admitted one of its players had received $3,000 in impermissible benefits during Capel’s time in charge. Capel was not implicated in the violation.

A few months after his dismissal, Capel was hired as an assistant at Duke, where he remained until getting the Pitt job in March. He’s one of only 73 black head coaches in Division I men’s basketball (245 are white and two are Latino), according to the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport.
That means “brick by brick,” starting with his current players. Capel persuaded five of the eight would-be transfers to stay and signed three freshmen, including top-100 guard Trey McGowens. Sophomore guard Khameron Davis said the new coaching staff has focused on individual skill development, weight training and getting players in better shape to play at a faster pace.

“Being winners and changing a program is not going to be easy. We have to always fight, and we have to always battle with ourselves and with everybody else every day,” Davis said. “None of us have been winners, right? For us to fight with ourselves, it means we have to keep going our hardest every day, because we haven’t won, so we don’t know how hard we’ve got to go.”

Especially in one of the toughest conferences in college hoops. Pitt’s decline began when, in a quest for TV revenue, it left the Big East for the ACC ahead of the 2013-14 season. Recruiting players from Pitt’s traditional strongholds of New York City, Philadelphia and New Jersey got tougher because their league games could be as far from home as Clemson, South Carolina, or Tallahassee, Florida. Meanwhile, competition in the ACC was absolutely brutal.

“I’m not going to lie, last season was really hard,” Davis said. “It got hard to come to the gym every day. Our ACC schedule got harder as time went on … we’ve got Virginia coming up, we’ve got North Carolina coming up, we’ve got Duke twice.”

While an assistant at Duke, Capel led recruiting efforts that landed a series of future NBA lottery picks. Pittsburgh is a harder sell than Durham — Pitt’s last draft pick of note was Steven Adams, who played one season before being drafted 12th by the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2013. But Capel says he doesn’t need one-and-dones to succeed, citing programs such as Virginia and Villanova that win with upperclassmen.

Capel has the right stuff.
“One of the most important things I learned during my time as a collegiate player was you have to fight for everything that you want. It’s not given. It’s not a birthright. You have to earn it,” Capel said. “And you earn it by what you do every day, how you show up every day. You have to keep pushing.”

After college, Capel played pro ball for two years, in France and the Continental Basketball Association, then joined his father’s coaching staff at Old Dominion. At age 27, he became head coach at Virginia Commonwealth, won a ton of games and made the NCAA tournament in 2004. That led to the head coaching job at Oklahoma in 2006. He was 31 years old.

Capel recruited future NBA superstar Blake Griffin, who in 2009 took Oklahoma to the Elite Eight, where the Sooners lost to eventual champion North Carolina. But Oklahoma struggled after Griffin’s departure and a key player’s injury. Capel was fired in 2011. Later that year, Oklahoma admitted one of its players had received $3,000 in impermissible benefits during Capel’s time in charge. Capel was not implicated in the violation.

A few months after his dismissal, Capel was hired as an assistant at Duke, where he remained until getting the Pitt job in March. He’s one of only 73 black head coaches in Division I men’s basketball (245 are white and two are Latino), according to the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport.
That means “brick by brick,” starting with his current players. Capel persuaded five of the eight would-be transfers to stay and signed three freshmen, including top-100 guard Trey McGowens. Sophomore guard Khameron Davis said the new coaching staff has focused on individual skill development, weight training and getting players in better shape to play at a faster pace.

“Being winners and changing a program is not going to be easy. We have to always fight, and we have to always battle with ourselves and with everybody else every day,” Davis said. “None of us have been winners, right? For us to fight with ourselves, it means we have to keep going our hardest every day, because we haven’t won, so we don’t know how hard we’ve got to go.”

Especially in one of the toughest conferences in college hoops. Pitt’s decline began when, in a quest for TV revenue, it left the Big East for the ACC ahead of the 2013-14 season. Recruiting players from Pitt’s traditional strongholds of New York City, Philadelphia and New Jersey got tougher because their league games could be as far from home as Clemson, South Carolina, or Tallahassee, Florida. Meanwhile, competition in the ACC was absolutely brutal.

“I’m not going to lie, last season was really hard,” Davis said. “It got hard to come to the gym every day. Our ACC schedule got harder as time went on … we’ve got Virginia coming up, we’ve got North Carolina coming up, we’ve got Duke twice.”

While an assistant at Duke, Capel led recruiting efforts that landed a series of future NBA lottery picks. Pittsburgh is a harder sell than Durham — Pitt’s last draft pick of note was Steven Adams, who played one season before being drafted 12th by the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2013. But Capel says he doesn’t need one-and-dones to succeed, citing programs such as Virginia and Villanova that win with upperclassmen.
Nobody cares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT