ADVERTISEMENT

Police: LSU player kills man trying to rob him, teammate

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
This is going to be interesting.

Two LSU football players were trying to sell an electronic item when one of them fatally shot an 18-year-old man trying to rob them, police said Sunday.

A statement released by Baton Rouge police does not identify the players, but a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that the players are running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and linebacker Jared Small. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because LSU and police have not released the players' names.

The man killed was identified by police as Kobe Johnson. He was not an LSU student and died at the scene Saturday.

LSU players called police, waited at the scene, were questioned and were released while the investigation continues.

After Johnson displayed a weapon, one of the players pulled out a handgun and fired multiple times, police said. Authorities have not said whether the player was licensed to carry the firearm he used.

Edwards-Helaire, a Baton Rouge native, has rushed for 626 yards and seven touchdowns in 12 games this season. Small, a freshman who also is from Baton Rouge, has played sparingly.

It remains to be seen how LSU will handle their playing status when the Tigers finish the season against UCF in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

The only comment so far from LSU has come from athletic director Joe Alleva, who said in a statement that the university was "in constant contact with law enforcement regarding this terrible situation."

"Right now, our concern is for the safety and well-being of our student-athletes," the statement said. "They have been involved in a traumatic incident and we have made our counselors available to assist immediately."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-lsu-player-kills-man-trying-rob-him-192731101--spt.html

If this is true what is the big deal?? Shouldn’t matter if they are LSU players. If they were being robbed with a gun they had a right to defend themselves.
....unless the player with the gun was not licensed to carry. Then he violated the law.

I suspect the police will delve into where they got the Play Station or whatever it was they were selling.

Look up the felony murder rule Nate. No idea if it applies. Also, hardly a slam dunk to say self defense applies here.

This could be way more complex than what you say.

....unless the player with the gun was not licensed to carry. Then he violated the law.

I suspect the police will delve into where they got the Play Station or whatever it was they were selling.

Look up the felony murder rule Nate. No idea if it applies. Also, hardly a slam dunk to say self defense applies here.

This could be way more complex than what you say.

Good luck finding a jury that will find them guilty if they acted in self defense. Did you read that the robber pulled a weapon out??

If this is true what is the big deal?? Shouldn’t matter if they are LSU players. If they were being robbed with a gun they had a right to defend themselves.
In some states you would actually have to avoid a shot, then attempt to run away, and only then return fire, in order for it to be justified. Just because someone shows you something that looks like a gun, that's not always a justification to shoot first.

And apparently this guy says Baton Rouge is pretty liberal about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.no...ing-involving-lsu-players.html?outputType=amp

Reactions: N&B4PSU
In some states you would actually have to avoid a shot, then attempt to run away, and only then return fire, in order for it to be justified. Just because someone shows you something that looks like a gun, that's not always a justification to shoot first.

So if someone pulls a gun on you. Run and get shot in the back.

It clear says the robber pulled a weapon. Fleeing was out at that point.

Pull a gun on me and I will shoot you if i get the chance and take my chances with a jury... who will acquit. And it won't mean sheiss to any jury whether or not my weapon was licensed. They will put themselves in my shoes (cuz my lawyer will put them there) and realize what they have to do.

Unless I'm selling something illegally procurred, in which case it gets all muddled. THAT is the white elephant (ahem) in the room. At least in this room.

And that's a fair heads up to any of you thinking about pulling a gun on me when we're conducting bizness :)

Pull a gun on me and I will shoot you if i get the chance and take my chances with a jury... who will acquit. And it won't mean sheiss to any jury whether or not my weapon was licensed. They will put themselves in my shoes (cuz my lawyer will put them there) and realize what they have to do.

Unless I'm selling something illegally procurred, in which case it gets all muddled. THAT is the white elephant (ahem) in the room. At least in this room.

And that's a fair heads up to any of you thinking about pulling a gun on me when we're conducting bizness :)

If this was two of our players everyone on here would say how heroic they were.

Bottom line 2 LSU players acted as heroes and got a scumbag off the street.

If this was two of our players everyone on here would say how heroic they were.

Bottom line 2 LSU players acted as heroes and got a scumbag off the street.

That’s pretty simplistic. It’s possible the two LSU students were scumbags themselves, selling stolen property. Not saying they were right or wrong to shoot the other kid, just that it’s possible they were not on the straight and narrow here.

That’s pretty simplistic. It’s possible the two LSU students were scumbags themselves, selling stolen property. Not saying they were right or wrong to shoot the other kid, just that it’s possible they were not on the straight and narrow here.

Looks like police cleared them. Keep sticking up for your criminals.

There's no chance the Baton Rouge police would help a fb player out, right? Just like there's no chance the police might overcharge a fb player for whatever reason.

Silly question. Have you ever had anyone pull a gun on you? :rolleyes:

I’m not sticking with the criminals by any means. Guy pulled a gun and got shot? That’s the risk you run. He played the game and he lost. I’m just not ready to assume these two were altar boys on their way back home from confession when this happened.

So selling a PS4 or IPod on the net is unheard of.

I forgot it’s the SEC So the kids are automatically guilty.

My oldest son just sold a older iPhone on Craigslist. He must be a criminal

So selling a PS4 or IPod on the net is unheard of.

I forgot it’s the SEC So the kids are automatically guilty.

My oldest son just sold a older iPhone on Craigslist. He must be a criminal

Holy crap, you taking a massive leap. Nowhere have I said they were guilty of anything. I have said that it is possible that they may have not been acting in the best fashion. Again, possible. No probable, not guaranteed, but possible. And again, sounds like the other kid put himself in a situation where the outcome he ended up with was a possibility. Poor, ultimately deadly, choice by the kid. I hope these LSU kids were just innocently selling their own equipment and acting in self defense as the story says.

Silly question. Have you ever had anyone pull a gun on you? :rolleyes:
Not silly at all... I've traveled all over the world performing security services... so yes, the possibility of it happening was there. Thankfully no, that never happened. But I am armed and if someone pulls a gun and I actually have the chance to shoot first, i will. That said, first gun out usually wins. Bringing me to...

In the situation described, the perp either used his gun in a threatening manner and waved it around... bad idea. Or the shooter anticipated the act and beat him to the moment.

Holy crap, you taking a massive leap. Nowhere have I said they were guilty of anything. I have said that it is possible that they may have not been acting in the best fashion. Again, possible. No probable, not guaranteed, but possible. And again, sounds like the other kid put himself in a situation where the outcome he ended up with was a possibility. Poor, ultimately deadly, choice by the kid. I hope these LSU kids were just innocently selling their own equipment and acting in self defense as the story says.

You totally questioned the electronics they were selling. Believe it or not 18-19 kids don’t sale stuff at yard sales. They sale stuff online and meet people.

You totally questioned the electronics they were selling. Believe it or not 18-19 kids don’t sale stuff at yard sales. They sale stuff online and meet people.

Right, I wondered what they were selling. Huge difference between questioning what the whole story is and assuming that I think they are guilty because they go to an SEC school. I mean, that doesn’t even make sense.

Reactions: tmacpolo
Not silly at all... I've traveled all over the world performing security services... so yes, the possibility of it happening was there. Thankfully no, that never happened. But I am armed and if someone pulls a gun and I actually have the chance to shoot first, i will. That said, first gun out usually wins. Bringing me to...

In the situation described, the perp either used his gun in a threatening manner and waved it around... bad idea. Or the shooter anticipated the act and beat him to the moment.
Believe me it's not fun and shouldn't be judged unless it happens to you.

Right, I wondered what they were selling. Huge difference between questioning what the whole story is and assuming that I think they are guilty because they go to an SEC school. I mean, that doesn’t even make sense.
Believe me it's not fun and shouldn't be judged unless it happens to you.

I believe you because I know others who have been... and no amount of training in the world can prepare you for it (you can think you'll be quicker, anticipate faster, draw down faster, even use other means if drawing is not an option... but in most instances paralysis is the outcome -- long before a bullet is fired).

Not sure if it happened to you as result of LE scenario or personal bad luck... either way, you survived it and i'm happy for you.

Most do not.

Why the rush to judgement (guilt or innocence)? One person shoots and kills another person and one should just assume the story is what happened? After all, living must mean they're telling the truth, dying means the victim was guilty. Used to be they had investigations and possibly even trials to determine guilt or innocence.

Moral of the story. Meet in a public place during the day to sell stuff. I’m all for self defense but if I think carrying may be a good idea I don’t want to be there.
A reasonable thought, but sadly in today’s world criminals have been known to inhabit public places during the day.

This statement is everything that’s wrong with America.

Robber pulls unregistered, unlicensed gun out. Victimmpulls gun out to defend and the victim is the one that broke the law.

Seems like player provided a public service here.

Reactions: RussianEagle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT