ADVERTISEMENT

Police: LSU player kills man trying to rob him, teammate

`

good questions-

1- we don't know
2- we don't know
3- we don't know

but some of us seem to have opinions- and those opinions don't weigh as much as a light breeze

And people ignore two huge facts.

1) the person murder displayed/pulled a gun during a robbery.

2) police have said no charges will be filed.

Reactions: RussianEagle
Omg Demlion give up. They aren’t getting charged. You really can’t be this stupid, right?? The robber pulled a gun on them, that gave them right to stand their ground.
They have been cleared. They did nothing wrong outside of meeting in a unsafe place.
You may be right, but I wouldn’t be so definitive in my comments. Please allow me to explain. I’m retired now, but I spent my adult career as a criminal defense attorney. While I never worked the Government side of the fence, I’m not seeing some key elements yet resolved here. ( And I’m not even considering what and how they acquired what they were selling as that’s not directly germane to a potential claim of self defense ).

Quite frankly, unless I missed it, there has been no comment from the local Parrish Procecuting Attorney ( although it’s still quite early in the process ). I say this because the Parrish Prosecutor will make the final determination to charges, not the police. Believe me, policemen ( even approved spokesmen ) often blurt out things they shouldn’t that the press erroneously run with. And if the local police made this determination alone there’s going to be one pissed off procecutors office.

It’s also very probable that we haven’t heard from all the different political factions that may or may not have an axe to grind. These also effect procecutorial discretion.

Personally, I hope it is clearly self defense and that no more lives are potentially ruined. But I wouldn’t be shutting the book so soon.

In some states you would actually have to avoid a shot, then attempt to run away, and only then return fire, in order for it to be justified. Just because someone shows you something that looks like a gun, that's not always a justification to shoot first.

And apparently this guy says Baton Rouge is pretty liberal about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/crime/2018/12/how-do-louisiana-self-defense-laws-apply-in-fatal-shooting-involving-lsu-players.html?outputType=amp
Please cite a reference on what state says you must run and be shot at before you can return fire. Thanks.

I think waiting for the official report makes a lot of sense- there is always a lot of assuming going on early in these situations.

What official report do you expect to be available. Police investigated and said the player acted in self defense. Their lives were in danger.

Most importantly, what does this mean for lsu football? mark emmert wants to know.

Many states, NY,NJ, CA, Maryland Etc, deny you to right to even have the option to have the weapon to return fire.

Also if you are in danger. There is no jury in the world that will find you guilty of homicide. Especially in course of being a victim of a violent crime.

I believe you because I know others who have been... and no amount of training in the world can prepare you for it (you can think you'll be quicker, anticipate faster, draw down faster, even use other means if drawing is not an option... but in most instances paralysis is the outcome -- long before a bullet is fired).

Not sure if it happened to you as result of LE scenario or personal bad luck... either way, you survived it and i'm happy for you.

Most do not.
It wasn't a LE situation and yes I'm very fortunate.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
So selling a PS4 or IPod on the net is unheard of.

I forgot it’s the SEC So the kids are automatically guilty.

My oldest son just sold a older iPhone on Craigslist. He must be a criminal

Your kid take a gun with him to the transaction?

This is going to be interesting.

Two LSU football players were trying to sell an electronic item when one of them fatally shot an 18-year-old man trying to rob them, police said Sunday.

A statement released by Baton Rouge police does not identify the players, but a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that the players are running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and linebacker Jared Small. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because LSU and police have not released the players' names.

The man killed was identified by police as Kobe Johnson. He was not an LSU student and died at the scene Saturday.

LSU players called police, waited at the scene, were questioned and were released while the investigation continues.

After Johnson displayed a weapon, one of the players pulled out a handgun and fired multiple times, police said. Authorities have not said whether the player was licensed to carry the firearm he used.

Edwards-Helaire, a Baton Rouge native, has rushed for 626 yards and seven touchdowns in 12 games this season. Small, a freshman who also is from Baton Rouge, has played sparingly.

It remains to be seen how LSU will handle their playing status when the Tigers finish the season against UCF in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

The only comment so far from LSU has come from athletic director Joe Alleva, who said in a statement that the university was "in constant contact with law enforcement regarding this terrible situation."

"Right now, our concern is for the safety and well-being of our student-athletes," the statement said. "They have been involved in a traumatic incident and we have made our counselors available to assist immediately."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-lsu-player-kills-man-trying-rob-him-192731101--spt.html

giphy.gif

Reactions: Nitt1300
Yep, thanks to a Football Culture that produces brave young men, a thug had been taken out before he had the chance to murder someone

Right, because dead men tell no tales. How do you know the football players didn't pull first? You don't.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Heroes? Let’s not go overboard.

I will say I am curious about the pedigree of the items being fenced...Er, sold.

Well, this crook apparently pulled first and was gunned down without firing a shot. Them LSU boys are quick on the draw I’d say...

Are we sure that there were only three wise men? I'm having doubts.

Heroes? Let’s not go overboard.

I will say I am curious about the pedigree of the items being fenced...Er, sold.
Let's suppose the items were stolen, the players knew it, and they were of a value sufficient to make their sale a felony.

Then let's suppose Louisiana has a felony murder rule. Would it apply to make the shooter guilty of murder?

Well, this crook apparently pulled first and was gunned down without firing a shot. Them LSU boys are quick on the draw I’d say...

I suppose so. Look, it sounds as though they may have been legitimately selling something. And at this point law enforcement has spoken, for better or worse.

Sad though that, rather than feeling they had to come to the exchange packing heat, they didn’t just think of taking the simpler course and making the transaction at a busy public place. Now some kids dead, and just in time for Christmas. Oh well, “sec! Sec! Sec!” I guess.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I suppose so. Look, it sounds as though they may have been legitimately selling something. And at this point law enforcement has spoken, for better or worse.

Sad though that, rather than feeling they had to come to the exchange packing heat, they didn’t just think of taking the simpler course and making the transaction at a busy public place. Now some kids dead, and just in time for Christmas. Oh well, “sec! Sec! Sec!” I guess.

Right, because it’s easier to bring a gun to a bad part of town than meet in a public place at a reasonable hour to make the sale.

We’re tracking here.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Let's suppose the items were stolen, the players knew it, and they were of a value sufficient to make their sale a felony.

Then let's suppose Louisiana has a felony murder rule. Would it apply to make the shooter guilty of murder?
One should never guess about Louisiana state law since its code based but in some places it could.

In some states you would actually have to avoid a shot, then attempt to run away, and only then return fire, in order for it to be justified. Just because someone shows you something that looks like a gun, that's not always a justification to shoot first.

And apparently this guy says Baton Rouge is pretty liberal about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/crime/2018/12/how-do-louisiana-self-defense-laws-apply-in-fatal-shooting-involving-lsu-players.html?outputType=amp
Please
You are in a car
A guy pulls a gun out on you in backseat
In that circumstance it is permissible even in the most liberal jurisdictions to defend yourself and the kid did so

Reactions: Hotshoe
So I am carrying concealed on the street. Here comes a guy who is open carrying. His weapon is displayed to me. I can kill him, right?

You are mixing apples and oranges if he is robbing you. Yes.

If they have a gun on there side and not doing anything no you can’t. Did you mIss the mention of robbing idiot??

You are dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT