ADVERTISEMENT

Police: LSU player kills man trying to rob him, teammate

Self defense eliminates civil case.
Wrong. The police announcement of no charges is MEANINGLESS in the civil context. It could be exactly correct, or it could be based on the one guys dad being a cop, or anything in between. This is a little more complex than what typically goes on in your head, Nate.

You might want to take a nap.

Reactions: step.eng69
Hey, hes the one telling me that displaying a weapon justifies shooting. As nonlawyers, you and he know that. Again speeding while armed does not raise the severity of the speeding charge, so no, I don't know that.

Your example of speeding while armed is irrelevant. Try again.

Wrong. The police announcement of no charges is MEANINGLESS in the civil context. It could be exactly correct, or it could be based on the one guys dad being a cop, or anything in between. This is a little more complex than what typically goes on in your head, Nate.

You might want to take a nap.

Wanna bet if a civil case goes anywhere with self defense being determined?

Bet me big mouth. Louisiana offers the Armed Citizens Defense which can block civil suits.

If you are a true lawyer. You absolutely suck.

Last edited:
Wanna bet if a civil case goes anywhere with self defense being determined?

Bet me big mouth. Louisiana offers the Armed Citizens Defense which can block civil suits.

If you are a true lawyer. You absolutely suck.

Geez, doesn’t the story say that both guys have been cleared but that they are still investigating? Certainly sounds good for the LSU kids, but doesn’t sound like it’s case closed.

Pretty sure the enhancement of criminal penalties only works with certain crimes. So, gun possession would not enhance speeding or embezzlement penalties, but WOULD enhance assault, drug dealing, robbery. @crazytoadie

And how can anyone refute them? The other party to this sordid ordeal is dead.

quote-simply-put-success-in-lsu-football-is-essential-for-the-success-of-louisiana-state-university-mark-emmert-64-8-0810.jpg

It seems a bit strange the deceased would attempt a robbery in broad daylight 500 feet from the home he lived in with his parents. But, I guess we'll find out more after their bowl game.

The apple doesn't tend to fall far from tree

Reactions: nittnee
It seems a bit strange the deceased would attempt a robbery in broad daylight 500 feet from the home he lived in with his parents. But, I guess we'll find out more after their bowl game.
So the deceased is not, ever, going to be charged with a crime. Because he is too dead to punish. He has been dead since before the cops knew about the investigation. The investigation, says every news story, is continuing.

But Justice Nate of the First Circuit Court of Self Abuse says the players have been cleared. Ok. So wtf are they investigating? Just guessing they might be trying to answer some of the hinky questions this case throws off, that have been noted by several other posters.

So I just caught this guy red handed in the middle of a home invasion. I have no idea how he got in. Seemed unstable, dressed funny in a red suit, unkempt appearance, kept calling me a "ho" over and over. I felt no other choice but to defend myself, took him down with my glock.

You can all sleep better tonight, one less ruffian on the streets tonight!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I can buy almost any gun you can name on the private market, with cash, with no documentation of any kind. The "gridlock" of which you speak does not exist in WV. At all.

No question that some states are easier to live in with regards to gun control laws. But in my opinion even if a private transaction can be done with cash, no documentation of any kind (assuming no background checks, no serial number checks, etc.) it is still preferable to use an FFL to handle the transfer.
But what if you wanted to buy a gun in Pa. as a WV resident? Now what? Is that transaction just as easy. If you buy a gun from an FFL like Cabela's in Pa. the gun has to be shipped to an FFL in WV for you to take possession. That kind of sounds like grid lock. And this has nothing to do with either Pa. or WV. A non-resident buying from an FFL in any state other than his own has to have the gun shipped to an FFL in the buyers state of residency.
No need to boil the ocean with examples of grid lock. Check the link and read some examples and it makes sense that even private transactions that can be hidden from scrutiny are safer handled by an FFL. https://www.durysguns.com/news/gun-transfer-laws-buying-out-of-state

The problem is if a 6' 5" 275lbs criminal breaks into your home that is not armed. That's when you have to make some very tough decisions.

Ha, are you kidding. I make tougher decisions at the beer store. And it doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the intruder. Not sure why some folks are so willing to be a victim.

I can buy almost any gun you can name on the private market, with cash, with no documentation of any kind. The "gridlock" of which you speak does not exist in WV. At all.

Sure, you can buy opioids on the private market, with cash, no prescription of any kind.

Not sure what the point is

Reactions: Hotshoe
The problem is if a 6' 5" 275lbs criminal breaks into your home that is not armed. That's when you have to make some very tough decisions.

Ha, are you kidding. I make tougher decisions at the beer store. And it doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the intruder. Not sure why some folks are so willing to be a victim.
Am I in a Miller Lite mood, a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat mood, or a trying something new mood? Tough one... I could also move back to Arizona where I can buy liquor in the grocery store.

I’m an average sized guy against that big a guy...he’s getting smoked. Easy disparity of force issue and he’s already committing a felony by attempting to burglarize my home.

Reactions: RU31trap
Sure, you can buy opioids on the private market, with cash, no prescription of any kind.

Not sure what the point is
Hard to know how to answer this. We were talking about guns and how buying them legally is difficult in lots of states. Not so in WV. Buying them legally is easy.

OPIODS are restricted to prescriptions. Anything else is illegal. Has nothing to do with LEGAL gun purchases. ???????

Pretty sure the enhancement of criminal penalties only works with certain crimes. So, gun possession would not enhance speeding or embezzlement penalties, but WOULD enhance assault, drug dealing, robbery. @crazytoadie

So sounds as if we agree then...possessing a gun during a robbery increases the penalty because it introduces the threat of deadly force. And possessing a gun while speeding, which in many cases is an infraction or civil penalty rather than a crime, does not increase the penalty because the weapon does not aid or contribute to the crime. So armed speeding does not present a relevant analogy to armed robbery because they differ in whether the weapon contributes to the crime.

I was debating that armed robbery increases the likelihood that deadly force in self defense is justified versus simple robbery without a weapon. This point doesn’t require all crimes to have stiffer penalties when armed, which seems to be what you are contending. It only requires that some crimes have stiffer penalties, particularly when a gun is used on commission of the crime. Your point is irrevelant in because it is comparing incomparable crimes.

So sounds as if we agree then...possessing a gun during a robbery increases the penalty because it introduces the threat of deadly force. And possessing a gun while speeding, which in many cases is an infraction or civil penalty rather than a crime, does not increase the penalty because the weapon does not aid or contribute to the crime. So armed speeding does not present a relevant analogy to armed robbery because they differ in whether the weapon contributes to the crime.

I was debating that armed robbery increases the likelihood that deadly force in self defense is justified versus simple robbery without a weapon. This point doesn’t require all crimes to have stiffer penalties when armed, which seems to be what you are contending. It only requires that some crimes have stiffer penalties, particularly when a gun is used on commission of the crime. Your point is irrevelant in because it is comparing incomparable crimes.
So, when you said "having a weapon on you while committing another crime does raise the severity even if not used...." you were wildly off base, because that enhancement only occurs with some crimes. Just pointed it out to you.

So, when you said "having a weapon on you while committing another crime does raise the severity even if not used...." you were wildly off base, because that enhancement only occurs with some crimes. Just pointed it out to you.

Wildly off base? That’s interesting...you agree that in the case at hand (robbery of LSU players) that my point is 100% correct and on point. Forgive me for not explicitly stating my point as displaying a weapon in the commission of a crime to make it clearer for you.

Further, let’s remind ourselves that my response was directly pointed to your argument that display of a weapon legally by open carry would give the same justification to self defense as to the display of a weapon in commission of a crime. Those are two completely separate and opposed scenarios. One scenario is a completely legal display protected by our Constitution and the other display is in a completely illegal display during robbery that explicitly results in a crime, namely armed robbery, with explicitly harsher penalties. Your suggestion that those displays would be equivalent is clearly a situation that our legal system would never contemplate as true. If my interpretation is widely off base than yours isn’t even on the field of play.

Last edited:
Sorry but bringing a gun to a “sale” reflects more than just profound stupidity. At least in my book.

Point being that it could be nefarious, could be kids posturing, could be kids just being kids and knowing what they are getting themselves into.

Wildly off base? That’s interesting...you agree that in the case at hand (robbery of LSU players) that my point is 100% correct and on point. Forgive me for not explicitly stating my point as displaying a weapon in the commission of a crime to make it clearer for you.

Further, let’s remind ourselves that my response was directly pointed to your argument that display of a weapon legally by open carry would give the same justification to self defense as to the display of a weapon in commission of a crime. Those are two completely separate and opposed scenarios. One scenario is a completely legal display protected by our Constution and the other display is in a completely illegal display during robbery that explicitly results in a crime, namely armed robbery, with explicitly harsher penalties. Your suggestion that those displays would be equivalent is clearly a situation that our legal system would never contemplate as true. If my interpretation is widely off base than yours isn’t even on the field of play.

If you're gonna use the term display (not brandish or point) you'll confuse the matter.

If you're gonna use the term display (not brandish or point) you'll confuse the matter.

That may be true and it will vary state to state. I simply used display to use the same term as your original post.

Louisiana’s statute for armed robbery states “Armed robbery is the taking of anything of value belonging to another from the person of another or that is in the immediate control of another, by use of force or intimidation, while armed with a dangerous weapon.”

That may be true and it will vary state to state. I simply used display to use the same term as your original post.

Louisiana’s statute for armed robbery states “Armed robbery is the taking of anything of value belonging to another from the person of another or that is in the immediate control of another, by use of force or intimidation, while armed with a dangerous weapon.”
Read post 109. Both what ram2020 and what I said. Sheesh.

Shouldn’t matter. Read that the robber pulled a weapon. You have the right to stand your ground.
Also, we are only hearing their side of the story. Maybe they are telling the truth. Maybe not. Don’t think we are going to hear the other guy’s version of what happened.

Reactions: Roar More
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT