ADVERTISEMENT

Police: LSU player kills man trying to rob him, teammate

Many states, NY,NJ, CA, Maryland Etc, deny you to right to even have the option to have the weapon to return fire.

This is what you have to understand if you ever consider having a Concealed Carry Permit. The 2nd Amendment is part of the U.S. Constitution but each state seems to make up their own rules regardless of "rights reserved". Southern states allow more latitude to civilians with regards to concealed carry rules. In the northeast it varies but most are more restrictive excepting maybe Vermont, NH, and Maine.
NJ requires some kind of need or reason to apply for a CCP and it is very restrictive. NY depends upon where you live. NYC generally does not give them out but rural towns upstate would be a different situation.
CT. has very strict gun laws. You need a permit to even buy ammo. But this has driven lots of sportsmen and others to getting a CCP which takes time (as a deterrent to applying) but it allows them the ability to buy ammo, long guns, hand guns, etc. and it is the ultimate ID to prove you have had extensive background checks. It is one reason I have a Florida CCP which is good in something like 37 states because I hunt in multiple states and as a non-resident with long guns could be questioned if stopped for some reason. The CCP shows I have been vetted.
In Ct. these two guys would be facing some kind of charges and a detailed investigation by the prosecutors office. For instance, Ct. has no "stand your ground" law. And they are probably not of age for a Ct. CCP.
One of the propaganda campaigns the public constantly gets bombarded with is the need for gun control. Once you understand the various gun control laws by state and at the Federal level you start to understand that this grid lock already exists. In Ct. even private sales require a certificate of sale approval from the state police. But each state is different and if you have guns you need to know what the rules are if you are going to be in that state with those guns.

I like the fact that even though he gets away with killing the guy, he did it in the truck they drove there in! So either the shooter or his buddy got the back seat of his truck drenched with blood. I bet the PS3 was seized as evidence, AND they got no money out of the guy they killed.

These 2 guys have an exciting future in retail!

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
This is what you have to understand if you ever consider having a Concealed Carry Permit. The 2nd Amendment is part of the U.S. Constitution but each state seems to make up their own rules regardless of "rights reserved". Southern states allow more latitude to civilians with regards to concealed carry rules. In the northeast it varies but most are more restrictive excepting maybe Vermont, NH, and Maine.
NJ requires some kind of need or reason to apply for a CCP and it is very restrictive. NY depends upon where you live. NYC generally does not give them out but rural towns upstate would be a different situation.
CT. has very strict gun laws. You need a permit to even buy ammo. But this has driven lots of sportsmen and others to getting a CCP which takes time (as a deterrent to applying) but it allows them the ability to buy ammo, long guns, hand guns, etc. and it is the ultimate ID to prove you have had extensive background checks. It is one reason I have a Florida CCP which is good in something like 37 states because I hunt in multiple states and as a non-resident with long guns could be questioned if stopped for some reason. The CCP shows I have been vetted.
In Ct. these two guys would be facing some kind of charges and a detailed investigation by the prosecutors office. For instance, Ct. has no "stand your ground" law. And they are probably not of age for a Ct. CCP.
One of the propaganda campaigns the public constantly gets bombarded with is the need for gun control. Once you understand the various gun control laws by state and at the Federal level you start to understand that this grid lock already exists. In Ct. even private sales require a certificate of sale approval from the state police. But each state is different and if you have guns you need to know what the rules are if you are going to be in that state with those guns.
IN WV, no trainin' necessary, no permit, nothing. If you can pass the basic fed background check to buy a handgun, you can legally carry it concealed in your clothing.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
giphy.gif
Wait, Pitt football has nothing to do with this!

I can buy almost any gun you can name on the private market, with cash, with no documentation of any kind. The "gridlock" of which you speak does not exist in WV. At all.

Reactions: step.eng69
One of the LSU boards suggests one of the players is a son of a cop and would have a CCP.

Please cite a reference on what state says you must run and be shot at before you can return fire. Thanks.
I asked a police officer in NJ the following question. If someone broke into my home do I have the right to use deadly force. He said, you do not have the right to use deadly force, so the answer is no. The law states that you must exercise every avenue to get out of the house and retreat before using any force. He went on to say, if you shoot and kill the intruder and we determine that you could have left the premises you will be arrested and will most likely be facing a Manslaughter charge. However, if it can be proven that you were cornered and afraid for your life you have a right to use deadly force under the Castle Doctrine.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
NJ has the castle doctrine in place.

From lexusNexus

“Duty to retreat” (on the part of the homeowner) is a key component of castle doctrine. Some states impose this requirement, while others do not. In most cases in New Jersey, the defendant is “not obliged to retreat from his dwelling,” unless he or she was the “initial aggressor,” or person who started the conflict.

Again, if a armed intruder breaks into your home. Find a jury that will convict you.

NJ has the castle doctrine in place.

From lexusNexus

“Duty to retreat” (on the part of the homeowner) is a key component of castle doctrine. Some states impose this requirement, while others do not. In most cases in New Jersey, the defendant is “not obliged to retreat from his dwelling,” unless he or she was the “initial aggressor,” or person who started the conflict.

Again, if a armed intruder breaks into your home. Find a jury that will convict you.
The problem is if a 6' 5" 275lbs criminal breaks into your home that is not armed. That's when you have to make some very tough decisions.

I asked a police officer in NJ the following question. If someone broke into my home do I have the right to use deadly force. He said, you do not have the right to use deadly force, so the answer is no. The law states that you must exercise every avenue to get out of the house and retreat before using any force. He went on to say, if you shoot and kill the intruder and we determine that you could have left the premises you will be arrested and will most likely be facing a Manslaughter charge. However, if it can be proven that you were cornered and afraid for your life you have a right to use deadly force under the Castle Doctrine.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree "IF" you are not in danger and have a chance to escape... why kill a person (as in the example that you gave). In the LSU situation it was entirely different. I don't think the the players were going to outrun a bullet when a gun was pointed at them. In your later response... about giving them the "game" you as well be correct. However, who is not to say he would not have shot the two players anyway. It's a tough situation and one that I would not want to be in (taking of a human life). Interesting discussion.

Last edited:
The problem is if a 6' 5" 275lbs criminal breaks into your home that is not armed. That's when you have to make some very tough decisions.

If he is unarmed. You can rough him up.

It’s time for citizens to fight back. Why the 2nd Amendant is in place.

Reason number 854 NOT to live in NJ

I am glad that the two young men were able to get themselves out of a dangerous situation but I don't understand....and never will understand....people who dance around in joy when someone is killed

I am glad that the two young men were able to get themselves out of a dangerous situation but I don't understand....and never will understand....people who dance around in joy when someone is killed

And who should mourn a death of someone who at 18 is robbing people with a firearm.

Reactions: dailybuck777
wait....also some people are saying that the guy who was robbing people might not have threatened them but the two guys selling the electronics had probably stolen them?

there is some messed up crap on both sides of this

And who should mourn a death of someone who at 18 is robbing people with a firearm.
um....his parents....his school teachers...society at large?

you mourn the fact that a young person full of potential.....and they all are.....ended up dead after trying to rob someone....no matter what lead them to that fate

um....his parents....his school teachers...society at large?

you mourn the fact that a young person full of potential.....and they all are.....ended up dead after trying to rob someone....no matter what lead them to that fate

Sorry I don’t mourn people who commit violent crimes.

right....ok....so at least don't celebrate the death of a human being

I don’t celebrate it but don’t for one second mourn the death of violent criminals. Odds are probably pretty good that this POS would have harmed or killed others if he continued to be allowed to live. Got what he deserved? Maybe, maybe not. But what he got he brought it on himself.

So I am carrying concealed on the street. Here comes a guy who is open carrying. His weapon is displayed to me. I can kill him, right?

That display is a lawful display...there is no crime so deadly force wouldn’t be authorized. But as a lawyer, you know that...having a weapon on you while committing another crime does raise the severity even if not used...again you know that.

Reactions: nittnee
That display is a lawful display...there is no crime so deadly force wouldn’t be authorized. But as a lawyer, you know that...having a weapon on you while committing another crime does raise the severity even if not used...again you know that.
Hey, hes the one telling me that displaying a weapon justifies shooting. As nonlawyers, you and he know that. Again speeding while armed does not raise the severity of the speeding charge, so no, I don't know that.

It is always a shame when an 18-year kid puts themselves in a position where they are risking their own lives. As I said earlier, the kid put himself in this situation so there was a chance this would be the outcome. I certainly don’t celebrate it. I also won’t cry myself to sleep over it. It just is what it is.
That said, I don’t see it as a failure of society. It is likely a major failure of parents. I am not taking responsibility for what this kid was doing.

Last edited:
Hey, hes the one telling me that displaying a weapon justifies shooting. As nonlawyers, you and he know that. Again speeding while armed does not raise the severity of the speeding charge, so no, I don't know that.
I thought several years ago that Pennsylvania instituted a law providing any crime committed with a gun resulted in additional prison time.

Thta's w
After you shoot and kill the big SOB, if you live in NJ, stick the kitchen knife in his hand.

Another guy who can’t read?
They have been cleared. Robber is dead. How is it going to trougn judicial system.
Well there could easily be civil claims from the estate in which the burden of persuasion will be preponderance of evidence.

It's a bit odd that kids decide to not meet in a public location and they let a complete stranger in the backseat of their vehicle. Could be self defense, sure seems to be poor judgement nonetheless. Of course a lack of common sense isn't against the law... .

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Your right. They should fry both these kids. When you are being robbed by force you should have zero right to defend your self
Better??

what exactly does "robbed by force" mean? If one is using force on another, then it is not far fetched for them to believe that their life is in danger.

It's a bit odd that kids decide to not meet in a public location and they let a complete stranger in the backseat of their vehicle. Could be self defense, sure seems to be poor judgement nonetheless. Of course a lack of common sense isn't against the law... .
Or, maybe all the “kids” in this particular transaction were not model citizens.

Or, maybe all the “kids” in this particular transaction were not model citizens.

Or that all the “kids” in this particular were just “kids” and didn’t really know better how to do what they were doing, on all accounts.

Not saying it couldn’t be a justified homicide in self defense but a lot of things seem to raise red flags here. As someone who has sold stuff online and met people out I would never invite them in my vehicle especially if I was concerned enough to have packed a firearm for the transaction. I’ve sat in the rain and freezing cold meeting people. Also this dude is really robbing them for a used video game console. Would be more plausible if he was trying to steal their truck. Seems to be pretty low stakes. I mean these go on EBay for maybe 75 bucks. Also if they guy had the weapon in my face I’m not sure I’d feel confident even at close range to take the shot without him getting off a shot of his own. Granted none of us know the whole story but what is being reported certainly has some holes and sounds off to me.

This statement is everything that’s wrong with America.

Robber pulls unregistered, unlicensed gun out. Victimmpulls gun out to defend and the victim is the one that broke the law.

Seems like player provided a public service here.

Seems that way Nate, the victims must prove it is their playstation that they are selling and it is there fault they shot someone who brandished a gun. Wonder if their opinion would be different if instead of LSU football players, the people selling the playstation were Morman kids wearing a dress shirt and tie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT