ADVERTISEMENT

Poor TV ratings for the Rose Bowl

even UTAH you tube sites were surprised at the physical nature of penn state. Prior to the game the consensus was that UTAH would "out physical" PSU.
After the game, the "experts" were surprised at PSUs big plays - apparently UTAH had given up few this year- and came to the conclusion that even if Rising would have continued in the game, penn state would have won

It was a great game.😄

If you’re going to lie, don’t lie and say they went back Wednesday. Say they went back Tuesday, which is when the schools that did not go back on Monday started. I’ll stick with my statement from above. Probably half the country was working on Monday.

The SEPA district where I live and work was off on Monday, as was one other district that borders us. The other two with which we share borders had school.

Admittedly small sample size, but 2/4=50%

Reactions: bison13
The SEPA district where I live and work was off on Monday, as was one other district that borders us. The other two with which we share borders had school.

Admittedly small sample size, but 2/4=50%
I am from Pennsylvania so I have lots of friends who still live there and agree with your assessment. My sister’s kids went to school Monday but she did not work. Her husband worked as well as their neighbors. The high school where I went to school was back on Monday as well as every other school in their county except one. here in Maryland Hey, we were off Monday as were my kids, but the neighboring ones went to school on Monday.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Teachers in Southwest Virginia had a work day Monday (students returned on Tuesday).

It's still not identifying the issues.

1. Ratings are down in general for a lot of television.

2. It wasn't a playoff, therefore national interest isn't as high.

3. A 6 million drop from last year to this year indicates either OSU bring about double the eyes as PSU or the way Ratings are calculated is flawed. I don't know that Neilson accounts for all the streaming, particularly the people who watched but don't pay for the account.

4. What were the playoff game ratings? Did OSU/UGA beat TCU/Michigan by 6 million or more? (I don't have the info)

5. If the Rose Bowl was the highest rated game of the bowl season (not including playoff games), where are the articles talking about the others being down? Or is this an anomaly with the Rose?
My holiday was Friday. Same with a lot of people I know.

To clarify you're telling me your employer gave your company a day off in 2022 for 2023? Making sure I understand before I explain
It’s fairly common place for an employer to give some thing like 10 or 12 paid holidays for the year. That doesn’t mean they have to be the official state or county associated days for them. When I worked for Cutler hammer and New Year’s was on a weekend they always gave us the Friday before rather than January 2.
And no, they did not take one away from the next year. They saved one from the prior year and gave it at the end

It’s fairly common place for an employer to give some thing like 10 or 12 paid holidays for the year. That doesn’t mean they have to be the official state or county associated days for them. When I worked for Cutler hammer and New Year’s was on a weekend they always gave us the Friday before rather than January 2.
And no, they did not take one away from the next year. They saved one from the prior year and gave it at the end
Be patient, Grasshopper. Sensi will be along shortly to explain it

Be patient, Grasshopper. Sensi will be along shortly to explain it

I assure you companies will not provide a 2023 holiday in 2022 and they aren't going to create an extra one in 2023 to allow you an extra day in 2023. Corporate lawyer--not how this works. If you claimed you got the Friday and Monday off I'd buy that but there's only one way you wouldn't get a day off in 2023 for 1/1 but that's not what you're saying here.
Again, the majority of the people that are going to watch bowl games didn't work on the 2nd. Hell, most of the people that care about bowls games are retire or close to it which is why we're seeing change to entice the younger generations to follow college football.

I assure you companies will not provide a 2023 holiday in 2022 and they aren't going to create an extra one in 2023 to allow you an extra day in 2023. Corporate lawyer--not how this works. If you claimed you got the Friday and Monday off I'd buy that but there's only one way you wouldn't get a day off in 2023 for 1/1 but that's not what you're saying here.
Again, the majority of the people that are going to watch bowl games didn't work on the 2nd. Hell, most of the people that care about bowls games are retire or close to it which is why we're seeing change to entice the younger generations to follow college football.

I'm a lawyer, too, since apparently you felt the need to tell everyone to get into a dick measuring contest.

You're actually taking time out of your weekend to attempt to denigrate someone's post about a day off from work. Anyone with 2 brain cells clearly understands the concept except you.

Why exactly are you on this board? I'm beginning to believe that you have a certifiable condition such as oppositional-defiant disorder or traces of anti-social personality disorder.

Can anyone else on here find out if we can break this clown's posts down and run analytics on the meaningful posts he has made compared to contrarian, argumentive posts on his personal tropes such as:

1. Psu hasn't played anyone compared to any other P5 team;

2. Bowls are meaningless;

3. Michigan is really good and elite;

4. Alabama should be in playoff over TCU; and

5. Underclassmen projected to be free agents should opt into draft rather than attempt to improve.

The act is seriously old at this point.

I'm a lawyer, too, since apparently you felt the need to tell everyone to get into a dick measuring contest.

You're actually taking time out of your weekend to attempt to denigrate someone's post about a day off from work. Anyone with 2 brain cells clearly understands the concept except you.

Why exactly are you on this board? I'm beginning to believe that you have a certifiable condition such as oppositional-defiant disorder or traces of anti-social personality disorder.

Can anyone else on here find out if we can break this clown's posts down and run analytics on the meaningful posts he has made compared to contrarian, argumentive posts on his personal tropes such as:

1. Psu hasn't played anyone compared to any other P5 team;

2. Bowls are meaningless;

3. Michigan is really good and elite;

4. Alabama should be in playoff over TCU; and

5. Underclassmen projected to be free agents should opt into draft rather than attempt to improve.

The act is seriously old at this point.
We played Ohio State and Michigan--we just lost to both. We don't have a quality win as everyone knows.
The Bowls are meaningless because of the playoff--ask Nick Saban
Are you saying Michigan isn't "really good" or "elite"? I've never said they're elite but they're getting close to that level of Georgia and Bama
Yes, Bama was one of the best 4 teams this year
I never said that--I think anyone who wants to move on should move on regardless of their draft status. See the number of opt outs this year. Pretending that someone returning makes them better is a false belief.
There's no act--the fact you have a problem with any of those statements is an issue.

So you are saying you are a corporate lawyer?

Let me go through this slowly for you. Typically the company would give Christmas Eve and Christmas off. But since this year those two days were Saturday and Sunday many of them gave either the 23rd and the 30th off or the 26th and the 30th off.

Reactions: Obliviax and jjw165
Let me go through this slowly for you. Typically the company would give Christmas Eve and Christmas off. But since this year those two days were Saturday and Sunday many of them gave either the 23rd and the 30th off or the 26th and the 30th off.
Most companies do not provide Xmas Eve
What did they do with the 1/1 holiday? There's an answer that could make your story plausible but not based on what you've said so far.

Most companies do not provide Xmas Eve
What did they do with the 1/1 holiday? There's an answer that could make your story plausible but not based on what you've said so far.
Again when I worked for Cutler hammer, we were given a listing of our 12 holidays at the beginning of the year so if they already used January 1 of 2022, as a holiday early in the year, they very well have the right to use the Christmas day holiday as the last day of the year.

To clarify you're telling me your employer gave your company a day off in 2022 for 2023? Making sure I understand before I explain
Yes, let me explain for you - my work holiday for New Years was 12/30. If you wanted off on 1/2, you needed to take vacation. It's pretty simple. The previous year, it was 12/31 and next year it will be Monday 1/1. I guess on some years, you could have two paid New Year's holidays in one calendar year. That's happened at previous companies I've worked for too so what's the big deal?

Yes, let me explain for you - my work holiday for New Years was 12/30. If you wanted off on 1/2, you needed to take vacation. It's pretty simple. The previous year, it was 12/31 and next year it will be Monday 1/1. I guess on some years, you could have two paid New Year's holidays in one calendar year. That's happened at previous companies I've worked for too so what's the big deal?
My company had a policy where they had "floating holidays" that were electives. So many people took Fridays off before Xmas and NY weekend. Why? Use up vacation times in 2022 and hold them in 2023. The idea is for employees to be able to take holidays like Friday after Thanksgiving, a Jewish holiday, or MLK day off (etc); days that may be meaningful for you but not the entire employee base.

I think the Rose Bowl was the perfect storm for weak viewership:
  • Utah is not a national program, yet
  • Utah backed into the Rose, as did PSU
  • The traditional J-1 holiday landed on J-2 due to J-1 being a sunday
  • The playoffs were on Saturday with a full suite of NFL on Sunday...this led to football overload by Monday

As others have pointed out, it still was the top-rated non-playoff game. This is what you'd expect for the Rose Bowl. But the timing was bad. PSU is often one of the top draws in all of college football year in and year out.

This has to be associated with several things. One is that it was two lower-ranked teams. Some have to be associated with Utah, not a traditional national power, but they had much better ratings last year. The second is that it was played on Jan 2nd, and not the first. It was also after football overload in NFL, college playoffs and all of the other bowls.

Regardless, it only had 10.2 million viewers. Contrast that to last year's 16.6m.

It was a bad time slot. Most people had off on Jan. 2 so that was a travel day for tons of people, or if they were home they were getting ready for the work week.

Also didn't help that it had absolutely no significance for college football -- like all the non-playoff bowls, the RB was an exhibition game.

Maybe it will help persuade the Tournament of Roses committee that they need to be part of the playoff ASAP. That's where the viewers and money will be.

It was a bad time slot. Most people had off on Jan. 2 so that was a travel day for tons of people, or if they were home they were getting ready for the work week.

Also didn't help that it had absolutely no significance for college football -- like all the non-playoff bowls, the RB was an exhibition game.

Maybe it will help persuade the Tournament of Roses committee that they need to be part of the playoff ASAP. That's where the viewers and money will be.
good point...I didn't think about the travel day aspect.

All true. The second paragraph is the key

good point...I didn't think about the travel day aspect.
The Rose Bowl does this to themselves insisting on that 5pm time slot on Jan 1st most years. They should have seen this coming (Jan 2nd date, football overload, no significance on playoff and varsity games played already).

Their solution should have been to move up the Rose Bowl to Fri Dec 30th prime time at 8pm EST/5pm kickoff in Pasadena. Move the Orange Bowl to 4pm EST that day. This way you pack 5 of the 6 NY6 bowls back to back on the 30th and 31st. You could have even stuck the Cotton at noon on the 30th. This way the last two major bowls are the playoffs.

Then you just move the Citrus and Outback or whatever it is called now to Thursday sometime or even Wednesday and all the college bowls are done by 12/31 and the last two are the most important meaning playoff games. Yeah no college football on Jan 2nd but that is okay. You still would have had Bengals vs Bills like any other Mon night football day.

The Rose Bowl does this to themselves insisting on that 5pm time slot on Jan 1st most years. They should have seen this coming (Jan 2nd date, football overload, no significance on playoff and varsity games played already).

Their solution should have been to move up the Rose Bowl to Fri Dec 30th prime time at 8pm EST/5pm kickoff in Pasadena. Move the Orange Bowl to 4pm EST that day. This way you pack 5 of the 6 NY6 bowls back to back on the 30th and 31st. You could have even stuck the Cotton at noon on the 30th. This way the last two major bowls are the playoffs.

Then you just move the Citrus and Outback or whatever it is called now to Thursday sometime or even Wednesday and all the college bowls are done by 12/31 and the last two are the most important meaning playoff games. Yeah no college football on Jan 2nd but that is okay. You still would have had Bengals vs Bills like any other Mon night football day.
Yep...Rose Bowl has been kind of full of themselves. But the world has moved on. They did cave on the playoff and will become one of the rotating national championship sites.

The rose bowl has determined the national champion three times in the last 55 years, so by your definition, it hardly ever has mattered.
Before a playoff the bowl games meant more (something) as we all know. We also all know when it goes to 12 it will make the bowls completely irrelevant hence the meetings that will be taking place on what to do in the future.

Yep...Rose Bowl has been kind of full of themselves. But the world has moved on. They did cave on the playoff and will become one of the rotating national championship sites.
They still think it is 1975 with Curt Gowdy and NBC broadcasting Mich or Ohio State (losing of course) playing USC and only 3 other bowl games so they have a built in audience of 50 million households watching because there are no other entertainment options. No competition. As you say, the world has moved on.

They still think it is 1975 with Curt Gowdy and NBC broadcasting Mich or Ohio State (losing of course) playing USC and only 3 other bowl games so they have a built in audience of 50 million households watching because there are no other entertainment options. No competition. As you say, the world has moved on.
Right...I do recall Herbie lobbying to have the national championship played there.

I'll also add that one of the values of the rose bowl, and I took painstaking measures to assure I could see it, is the sunset over the mountains (which I never saw due to the rain). And that is why they do a twilight game.

Regardless, I suspect that the SEC and B1G will pull away from the NCAA and come up with their own football league. it may include others. NCAA has become kaput and the conferences are moving to craft their own path. I suspect you'll see a collective bargaining agreement with players at some point. Ultimately, a national champion crown with a game between the B1G and SEC champion and that game could be played at the Rose Bowl. Probably rotate like the Super Bowl (ATL, Vegas, LA, Jerry's World).

Before a playoff the bowl games meant more (something) as we all know. We also all know when it goes to 12 it will make the bowls completely irrelevant hence the meetings that will be taking place on what to do in the future.
Please explain how bowl games meant more before there were playoffs? Was there ever a time when more than two or three bowl games were important in declaring a national champion?

Please explain how bowl games meant more before there were playoffs? Was there ever a time when more than two or three bowl games were important in declaring a national champion?
Because when there wasn't a playoff the goal was to make a bowl game. Now the goal is to make the playoff. Yes, a lot of bowls were always irrelevant but it's even worse now and will continue to lose relevance as we go to 12 then 16 then 20 and beyond.

Because when there wasn't a playoff the goal was to make a bowl game. Now the goal is to make the playoff. Yes, a lot of bowls were always irrelevant but it's even worse now and will continue to lose relevance as we go to 12 then 16 then 20 and beyond.

My bad, I thought the goal was always to win a NC. How could I be so stupid?

Reactions: AvgUser
ADVERTISEMENT