ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Indiana Game Thread

The way we have played the last couple of weeks, we will be very, very lucky to escape Columbus with less than 28 points on the loss. They are going to take us to the woodshed, if something doesn't change drastically.

Without Hamler we easily lose by 30 or more next week. With him we can possibly keep it to a two score game.

Not sure I remember a team getting this much worse as season progresses. And please don't give me a line of bull about how I should just be happy to win. Almost everything about this team is regressing: pass rush, defensive backfield, passing offense all so much less effective. Disorganization before the snap looks like the circus that we would see in game 1, not 10.

OSU wins something like 58-10.
Honestly, I can't point to any aspect of the game we do well. Kickers and punters are really good, but return game sucks. Offense is sort of "just enough," poor in the redzone, we don't run the ball particularly well and we are not some prodigious pass game. We hit a couple long shots here or there, but we don't have a real identity. We are not a power run game and we are not a spread west coast offense that has open receivers running open all over the place. Defensively, we are a porous pass defense, not great at rushing the QB against big tough O-lines. I guess we are a good run defense statistically, but I am not sure teams are really committing to run it against us anymore with our pass defense being exposed. We are not tremendously coached. I just don't know, we are 9-1 and I think Franklin has gotten some bugaboos off his back(beating a very down michigan state, not losing 2 games in a row), but I just don't see how we even hang with OSU. Honestly, I can't figure it.

Last edited:
Another snowflake who doesn't know sarcasm even when it kicks him in the *ss.
But I know someone being a dick...might want to take some lessons on being humorous, otherwise you just continue to be the overbearing dufus that others make fun of.

Anyone have a "glass half full" perspective?

This team is 9-1 despite how poor it has looked at times, meaning that the ceiling has certainly not been reached as of yet...
doesn't mean it will ever be reached, but on a positive note, it is clear that the ceiling is higher than what has been demonstrated thus far, even at 9-1.

Reactions: palmettolion
O$U is going to kick our teeth in and beat us by 30

Only 30? ;)

I would probably consider that a moral victory!

Eric Stratton after next week:

Otter%20beat-up.png

Not sure I remember a team getting this much worse as season progresses. And please don't give me a line of bull about how I should just be happy to win. Almost everything about this team is regressing: pass rush, defensive backfield, passing offense all so much less effective. Disorganization before the snap looks like the circus that we would see in game 1, not 10.
Of course, not having Cain and Windsor last week or Cain and Hamler for a large part of the game this week doesn’t help a team get better.

The way we have played the last couple of weeks, we will be very, very lucky to escape Columbus with less than 28 points on the loss. They are going to take us to the woodshed, if something doesn't change drastically.

That

That would be a coaching change, correct?

Considering how bad this team has looked for long stretches in games this season, I'll be very happy with 10-2 and a good bowl game.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Today we witnessed a coach actually dumber than Franklin. If IU goes for it on 4th and 1 in a conventional style instead of faking a punt....there's a good chance this game turns out differently.

From one idiot to another, Franklin should send Allen a "Thank You Gram"

Anyone have a "glass half full" perspective?

This team is 9-1 despite how poor it has looked at times, meaning that the ceiling has certainly not been reached as of yet...
doesn't mean it will ever be reached, but on a positive note, it is clear that the ceiling is higher than what has been demonstrated thus far, even at 9-1.
Glass half full is we played like crap and still beat a pretty good team, so there’s that.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Pondering what the hell that was. Have to think team is more banged up than we know. Just unfocused and sloppy. Indiana pushed us all over the field, getting extra yards. Seemed lethargic on both sides. Conditioning seems to be a problem. Now, CF admits Clifford is banged up. Not looking forward to next week.

I've given up trying to figure out what it is. Whatever it is, it's not working.
I think a lot of it is opponents see our blitzes coming and they target the open areas. A lot of those blitzes are safeties so CBs don't have help. TCF has been exposed for the second week in a row.

This pass defense is embarrassing. I wouldn't want to see this team in a New Year's Six bowl anymore, only to be shredded with passes by mediocre QBs at will.

Today we witnessed a coach actually dumber than Franklin. If IU goes for it on 4th and 1 in a conventional style instead of faking a punt....there's a good chance this game turns out differently.

From one idiot to another, Franklin should send Allen a "Thank You Gram"
its particularly obtuse to think that you can predict how the game would have gone if you change one play in the early 3rd quarter

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
How on earth could we let that receiver get behind coverage? There is simply no excuse for that guy to have been open at that point in the game. This pass defense is killing us. I shudder to think what OSU is going to do next week against it.

How on earth could we let that receiver get behind coverage?

Had to be the coach's fault. How could we call a coverage there that allows the WR to get behind the Secondary!!??

(sarcasm alert)

first down marks for Indiana

on two occasions, a WR for Indy caught a pass and advanced past the 1st down mark, but then without any contact with PSU player, the Indy WR gave up the FD and was tackled short. In both cases the refs gave Indy the FD. once the announcers said Franklin should challenge the spot, as it would have been 4th down.

anyone familiar with the rule on spots? i thought you only got forward progress if you were hit and stopped by the other team and then pushed back short of FD line. in both these cases the Indy WR retreated with an intent to get more yards. if they gave the WR the FD location, then would they have stopped the play if they broke free for a much longer gain?

on two occasions, a WR for Indy caught a pass and advanced past the 1st down mark, but then without any contact with PSU player, the Indy WR gave up the FD and was tackled short. In both cases the refs gave Indy the FD. once the announcers said Franklin should challenge the spot, as it would have been 4th down.

anyone familiar with the rule on spots? i thought you only got forward progress if you were hit and stopped by the other team and then pushed back short of FD line. in both these cases the Indy WR retreated with an intent to get more yards. if they gave the WR the FD location, then would they have stopped the play if they broke free for a much longer gain?
Should not have been first downs....Indy got a few really generous spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT