ADVERTISEMENT

PSU seems to be waking up earlier in the games.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
I am relieved to see PSU playing a little better in the first half of games. They have to be awake BEFORE the game starts this week if we are to have a chance vs OSU.

I am relieved to see PSU playing a little better in the first half of games. They have to be awake BEFORE the game starts this week if we are to have a chance vs OSU.
This has been such a strange team in that they play like a true top 5 team in the second half of games, but stumble and bumble through the first half of games. I do believe that the second half of the Wisconsin game was their best half of football in any game this season, as they totally dominated a decent team in a truly tough environment.

This has been such a strange team in that they play like a true top 5 team in the second half of games, but stumble and bumble through the first half of games. I do believe that the second half of the Wisconsin game was their best half of football in any game this season, as they totally dominated a decent team in a truly tough environment.
Now, I have a buddy, blindly positive PSU fan, who says it only seems like they sleep through the first half. He says that the real thing we are seeing is PSU beating down their opponents physically until they finally collapse. Hope he is right, but I still do not think that is gonna work vs top 5 teams.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Now, I have a buddy, blindly positive PSU fan, who says it only seems like they sleep through the first half. He says that the real thing we are seeing is PSU beating down their opponents physically until they finally collapse. Hope he is right, but I still do not think that is gonna work vs top 5 teams.
For whatever reason, they play like two different teams in the first and second halves of games.

Reactions: demlion
For whatever reason, they play like two different teams in the first and second halves of games.
I am a Bills fan, too, and they have done a lot of the same thing this year, but like PSU they seem to be finally waking up a little earlier.

I do believe that is Franklin's overall philosophy, to be more conservative and wear down the opponent with a deeper team in the 2nd half. However, the change in our team, especially the defense, seems to begin suddenly starting with the first snap of the 3rd quarter. The wearing down of the other team wouldn't be so abrupt if they are fresh out of the locker room.

I don't think that will cut it against OSU. They have three outstanding WRs who can carve up a zone and are all deep threats. The interior of the DL has to get pressure to limit Howard's time to process, throw, and it causes their running game problems. The defense must play disciplined football with sure tackling. OSU RBs have speed to break long gainers. This game the defensive and offensive staffs have to adjust as the game progresses. I don't care how OSU looked against Nebraska, their offense can be explosive and their defense has many athletes.

We scored 7 pts in the 1st half vs Wisconsin

Our pattern vs Ohio State in recent years has been to start well and stay close until the 4th quarter, when the Buckeyes make winning plays.

But PSU has been really strong in the second half, and does seem to be wearing other teams down. So at the line of scrimmage, we appear to have the depth to play strong late vs Ohio State.

Start reasonably well, and I like the chances of flipping the script and finishing better than Ohio State.

We scored 7 pts in the 1st half vs Wisconsin
I actually don’t think that we played that poorly in the first half overall; it’s just that the punter running for a first down on their first drive, Fleming dropping that pass on our first drive, and the Dinkins’ holding penalty at the end of the first half skewed everything.

Reactions: lazydave841
Our pattern vs Ohio State in recent years has been to start well and stay close until the 4th quarter, when the Buckeyes make winning plays.

But PSU has been really strong in the second half, and does seem to be wearing other teams down. So at the line of scrimmage, we appear to have the depth to play strong late vs Ohio State.

Start reasonably well, and I like the chances of flipping the script and finishing stronger than Ohio State.
The staff definitely should’ve reviewed tape of OSU’s last three games against Michigan and how Michigan attacked that team because their are some comparisons there.

Also, the fact that OSU has o-line issues now could make them more one dimensional.

We've had an interesting schedule.

• WVU at their home opener when they've had us in their sights in forever was a tough ask to start the year
  • BG is much better than anyone thought
  • ILL is a good, but not great, team. They beat UM and lost to us and Oregon.
  • UCLA beat Rutgers and has had a brutal schedule (Indy, LSU, Oregon and PSU)
  • USC at UCS, 4.5 hour flight and three time zones after they got embarrassed at Minny was a tough ask
  • Wiscy, on the rise at Wiscy, is a tough ask

We were also losing at halftime although we outplayed Wisconsin in every way. We missed a 4th down when we could have kicked a FG.

I don't think we've played our best football yet, assuming Allar is OK.

I actually don’t think that we played that poorly in the first half overall; it’s just that the punter running for a first down on their first drive, Fleming dropping that pass on our first drive, and the Dinkins’ holding penalty at the end of the first half skewed everything.
We dominated the first half versus Wisconsin. Could have easily been 21-3 at the break. Just a few mistakes. If Fleming catches that pass, the badgers start to press even more and that's not their game.

The only thing Wisconsin had was that fake punt which was a fluke, one long pass play and some pretty good punting.

We dominated the first half versus Wisconsin. Could have easily been 21-3 at the break. Just a few mistakes. If Fleming catches that pass, the badgers start to press even more and that's not their game.

The only thing Wisconsin had was that fake punt which was a fluke, one long pass play and some pretty good punting.
This--it wasn't really close in the first half. We were clearly better--just not on the scoreboard--that's what has to change
And, I do agree--that in the first half we seem to be trying to establish our physicality knowing teams won't be able to hang in the second half
Ohio State can match us their though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT