ADVERTISEMENT

Rec Hall observations that probably didn't come through the broadcast.

I follow the Premier League and always wonder why American fans never get into songs for athletes. It would be awesome to be at a Phillies game and hearing 44,000 people singing out the players' names. Wrestling would be perfect for this too.
My personal favorite was about Luis Suarez. For those who don’t follow world football, Suarez is a fantastic goal scorer from Uruguay while also being a very divisive player - constantly bitching at the ref, diving and always trying to gain an edge, etc. Anyway, he also has an amazing overbite. While he played for Liverpool, the fans at rival Manchester United came up with this classic:

“Your teeth are offside, your teeth are offsiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside.”

My personal favorite was about Luis Suarez. For those who don’t follow world football, Suarez is a fantastic goal scorer from Uruguay while also being a very divisive player - constantly bitching at the ref, diving and always trying to gain an edge, etc. Anyway, he also has an amazing overbite. While he played for Liverpool, the fans at rival Manchester United came up with this classic:

British people making fun of other peoples teeth. Priceless

311WWM.gif

When I was in high school and the other team’s cheerleaders would take the court at basketball games, we would sing Old McDonald while they performed.

Klink threatened Schultz.
I did Google it.

I saw on YouTube where Klink threatened some unnamed party on the other end of a phone call. Then I saw another where he was sympathetic to Schultz after the Love Boat captain informed Klink that Schultz was going to be transferred there.

I saw Burkhalter threaten people (Schultz and Klink), which was my main recollection.

I read Hogan would imply to Klink it could happen to him.

Klink didn't have the heart to send anyone or go himself. He was just parroting his superiors. I feel bad for all the psychological torture Klink had to endure as middle management.

Who would have predicted that of only 3 TD's by OSU, one would be against RBY? That kid was the back-up I think, but he sure came to wrestle!
By the reactions of his coaches they had worked on that specific TD vs RBY. They were surprised at the shot, long before the finish. It was so short into the period too.

Reactions: tomsc
Certain sports fans are there to watch and enjoy the finer points of the game or match. Having played college baseball, I am constantly watching and appreciating positioning, good fundamentals, thinking through the game and hustle. Hustle may be the only part that spawns a visceral response from me. Mostly I watch, evaluate and appreciate. In my late 60’s I take great pleasure in that.

I am not one to join in the wave or stomp, cheer or boo uncontrollably. Instead I take a lot of amusement watching others do it. It’s an important part of the event for some. I enjoy watching them enjoy their game in the manner of their choice.

I never understood why Beatle fans were so loud and out of control that they could not possibly hear the music. Eventually, even the Beatles said “the hell with this” and went into the studio. Too much of a distraction for the true artist. What do you think baseball players think about the wave? A distraction or not?

Age has taught me that the finer things in life need to be sipped, not gulped or chugged. And it’s the afterglow where all the pleasure comes.

That’s how I enjoy watching our boys wrestle. I never listen to the audio of the broadcast. I put the feed on mute and dial up WRSC and listen to Iron Head.

Sipping, listening, enjoying. 😉

2. Most of the fans (especially the Boomers) really know what they’re watching and are so intent on the technique they don’t do much else beyond really stare at the action. The octogenarian in front of me was coaching under his breath through every situation, and almost every time the wrestler ended up doing exactly as the man instructed, with successful results. He wasn’t loud, but man did the guy know and appreciate wrestling.
RightO! I sit a couple of rows below where Rich stands up on the track. Our section is 60-70% boomer and older. Several former refs, a couple of retired coaches and lots of former wrestlers (HS & PSU). These folks have studied the sport and know when to get fired up. I can’t tell you how many times the dudes in my row have jabbed me with their bony elbows just before a big move unfolds. 95% of the time they sit quietly and study the subtle intricacies of hand fighting, positioning, and misdirection.

Who would have predicted that of only 3 TD's by OSU, one would be against RBY? That kid was the back-up I think, but he sure came to wrestle!
Just got my PSU wrestling media guide from the PSWC in the mail today. I looked at RBY'S stats from last year and he had 81 takedowns and gave up 1. He led the team in takedowns. It definitely was a surprise to see him get taken down. Kudos to Oregon State for coming to wrestle and the only back points coming from Greg in the last match.
The flow of the match was funky and contributed to the crowd being lethargic. The other possibility is I am pretty spoiled at the level of wrestling I've witnessed at Rec the last 11 years.

Sorry but someone born in 1946 has zero in common with someone born in 1964.
Most generations have been defined to be 20-year spans and are tied to some impactful societal event/characteristic. This one reflects the start of post WW II peaceful times and prosperity. So they're thought to share a certain vibe. That's just how it is.

Back points and pins create excitement for a crowd. We have become spoiled by all the great big move guys and pinners that have come through the program the last 10 years.
Speaking of which.
What Penn State wrestler will have the most pins this year?.? I'm guessing Kerk.
I think it is all this.. I think that you combine the advanced age of many in the arena with the fact this team is not the big move/back point/pinning machines of years past and I think it leads to quieter crowds.. there is definitely and element of the fan base being spoiled by what we have had to watch over the last 10 years..

Reactions: creamery freak
I agree but I like it when RBY gives up his leg just like Nolf did. They challenge themselves from that position. If they do get taken down, you knew something exciting was going to happen soon.

I thought RBY was looking to hit the Winn Dixie on several occasions and that leaves him vulnerable.

I also liked seeing RBY ride more to work on that part of him game.

As to excitement in Rec Hall this boomer is always distracted as I'm usually planning which weight class to miss as I go to the men's room. I wish this lineup wasn't so good.

If I were on the Rules committee, screw what stalling is and what is a takedown, they need to add two more intermissions for us dinosaurs. Or put TVs in restroom.

Scratch that last idea the lines are already too long and some would turn it into their living rooms.

Personally--I think our crowd is fine. Not superior (a more balanced demographic would help that--It'd be great if we could add 2-3k seats to an upper bowl at rec, lol)--but fine. I'm just looking for something novel to develop in the form of a chant, cheer, etc. I definitely don't have any great ideas, but the old ones just seem so stale to me. Ultimately, I think I'm just jealous of Iran's fanbase.

Personally--I think our crowd is fine. Not superior (a more balanced demographic would help that--It'd be great if we could add 2-3k seats to an upper bowl at rec, lol)--but fine. I'm just looking for something novel to develop in the form of a chant, cheer, etc. I definitely don't have any great ideas, but the old ones just seem so stale to me. Ultimately, I think I'm just jealous of Iran's fanbase.
The cats meow sounds more like a mountain lion than a roar.

Back points and pins create excitement for a crowd. We have become spoiled by all the great big move guys and pinners that have come through the program the last 10 years.
Speaking of which.
What Penn State wrestler will have the most pins this year?.? I'm guessing Kerk.
I’m putting my $ on SVN. I think that kids going to have a lot of pins in his PSU career

The lack of crowd excitement and involvement was due, not to aging Boomers, but rather to the predictability and sameness of the matches. There were zero back points and zero reversals through the first nine matches. Nearly every start from referee's position involved a stand up attempt and in many instances a gratis release by the top wrestler. Perhaps the most entertaining sequence of the night and the one that garnered the greatest crowd response was Van Ness' decision to ride his opponent rather than give up the one point escape. From an entertainment standpoint, Van Ness' chain wrestling was far superior to seeing him cut the OSU wrestler for a one point escape. Nick Lee was the last PSU wrestler who, from the bottom position, consistently attempted a two point reversal rather than a stand up and escape.

The crowd issues lie not with Boomers, but with current trends in the style of college wrestling.

The lack of crowd excitement and involvement was due, not to aging Boomers, but rather to the predictability and sameness of the matches. There were zero back points and zero reversals through the first nine matches. Nearly every start from referee's position involved a stand up attempt and in many instances a gratis release by the top wrestler. Perhaps the most entertaining sequence of the night and the one that garnered the greatest crowd response was Van Ness' decision to ride his opponent rather than give up the one point escape. From an entertainment standpoint, Van Ness' chain wrestling was far superior to seeing him cut the OSU wrestler for a one point escape. Nick Lee was the last PSU wrestler who, from the bottom position, consistently attempted a two point reversal rather than a stand up and escape.

The crowd issues lie not with Boomers, but with current trends in the style of college wrestling.
I'm not so sure I agree. Sure, when you get 7 pins in a dual, people are going to cheer for each and every one of those pins, but I'm not really talking about cheering for successful results--more about the energy dynamic when the results are in doubt.

Personally--I'm just tired of the "we are" chants, and wish our incredible, once-in-a-lifetime wrestling team this past decade+ had some cool new crowd engagement tools. We've tried having a pep band there before--I always thought that was cool (though obviously, even fewer seats for fans then). Maybe some PSU cheerleaders? I'm not sure. When I was a kid in the 80s going to duals, Rec Hall would get mighty loud for a marquee match-up, and stay pretty polite and quiet otherwise. It's the same today. Nothing can really be done for people being quiet when the result is predictable, and/or there are fewer fireworks. But that's where some interventions can, if done well, get people going some. Iran's fans are loud for each and every one of their competetors at the international level--I want that for us and our wrestlers. Iran has a different relationship to the sport than we do though––so I understand I'm being somewhat unrealistic.

Reactions: Love the lions
I'm not so sure I agree. Sure, when you get 7 pins in a dual, people are going to cheer for each and every one of those pins, but I'm not really talking about cheering for successful results--more about the energy dynamic when the results are in doubt.

Personally--I'm just tired of the "we are" chants, and wish our incredible, once-in-a-lifetime wrestling team this past decade+ had some cool new crowd engagement tools. We've tried having a pep band there before--I always thought that was cool (though obviously, even fewer seats for fans then). Maybe some PSU cheerleaders? I'm not sure. When I was a kid in the 80s going to duals, Rec Hall would get mighty loud for a marquee match-up, and stay pretty polite and quiet otherwise. It's the same today. Nothing can really be done for people being quiet when the result is predictable, and/or there are fewer fireworks. But that's where some interventions can, if done well, get people going some. Iran's fans are loud for each and every one of their competetors at the international level--I want that for us and our wrestlers. Iran has a different relationship to the sport than we do though––so I understand I'm being somewhat unrealistic.
In the 80s and 90s there were way more teams capable of beating PSU with many more opportunities for a challenging PSU dual.

If I have to endure a quiet Rec Hall because nobody else outside of Iowa City, Columbus or Stillwater can get the place rocking I am OK with that.

Reactions: papa_ed and Ski
In the 80s and 90s there were way more teams capable of beating PSU with many more opportunities for a challenging PSU dual.

If I have to endure a quiet Rec Hall because nobody else outside of Iowa City, Columbus or Stillwater can get the place rocking I am OK with that.
It's definitely in part a result of all our success, and I"m OK w/ that--but I think we can do better.

If we want to fire up the crowd, we could have Willie introduce a new recruit during stoppages.

Another observation: About 2,000 fans stayed to watch the extra match after the dual was over. I remarked to the guy next to me that most wrestling programs would kill to have half that number for a dual meet. We may be quiet, but we are extremely fond of wrestling.

Last edited:
i'm fine with everyone disparaging the crowd at rec. maybe if enough people think that atmosphere will be dead, then standing room only tickets will drop below $60 for the msu dual. but i won't hold my breath.

If we want a rowdy crowd, serve beer. I’m fine with it as-is (when I go).

Reactions: Creek Side
Thru birth year 1964.
There is some disagreement on when Gen X starts (not the band). Some say 62 and others say 65. 64, my year group, holds the distinction of being the most Incarcerated in history showing a characteristic normally associated with Gen X. Why is this important? Because as the next generation after the Boomers, with the next most disposable income, good luck to any other generation getting any tickets for the next 20 years....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT