ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting other team's commits

With the death of NLI, I'd be asking athletes to sign an agreement that says you ain't visiting or floating your market value after. Can these "scholarship agreements" range in length? If I got a Bassett/Forest/Blaze/Vega type signed, I'd make sure it's ironclad or that the new school could buy it out.

I totally understand athletes getting more power, but this shit is absurd. "Commitment" means nothing beyond a twitter graphic. Additionally, once that kid is signed... You absolutely gotta pay it all out over the length of the contract. You want someone else? Pay them both.

We're gonna have 16/17 year olds signing contracts worth more than I've made in 10 years. You sign to a school/team and not to a coach.

See ya never, academic-based athletics.

With the death of NLI, I'd be asking athletes to sign an agreement that says you ain't visiting or floating your market value after. Can these "scholarship agreements" range in length? If I got a Bassett/Forest/Blaze/Vega type signed, I'd make sure it's ironclad or that the new school could buy it out.

I totally understand athletes getting more power, but this shit is absurd. "Commitment" means nothing beyond a twitter graphic. Additionally, once that kid is signed... You absolutely gotta pay it all out over the length of the contract. You want someone else? Pay them both.

We're gonna have 16/17 year olds signing contracts worth more than I've made in 10 years. You sign to a school/team and not to a coach.

See ya never, academic-based athletics.
This all goes down to, how greedy are we.

That's a statement and a question. Answer yourself the question and you'll get your answer.

The NIL situation is some of the reason for the late offers. A program gets more funds than they had earlier in recruitment and it's like a shopping spree for the coaches if a kid hasn't locked up NIL money .
The NIL is flawed and is getting worse for the overall picture of college sports. Read an article that Ohio State NIL provided 20+ million for current football team.
A potential correction for the situation is, make NIL money tied to a non compete clause for one year . College sports is big business and should be treated like one. It doesn't stop a kid from transferring and wrestling. A grad student would reset his opportunity for NIL money.

A potential correction for the situation is, make NIL money tied to a non compete clause for one year . College sports is big business and should be treated like one. It doesn't stop a kid from transferring and wrestling. A grad student would reset his opportunity for NIL money.
A non-compete like that is only as good as a school's willingness to enforce it in court.

For football and basketball, maybe. For wrestling, not a chance, too little return on the attorney costs.

And if the kid declines or refunds the original school's money, then what standing does the school have?

After all of that, the schools would still have to win the cases. That's hardly a given.

How bad do we think Blaze beats Vega? Blaze is looking for his first Ironman title I think.
I heard tonight Sunny side and Gilroy are going to Ironman. Bassett vs Zepeda IV. Blaze vs Vega???
Are there any younger, smaller Pinto brothers? We need another Pinto/Vega matchup after 50 years.

A non-compete like that is only as good as a school's willingness to enforce it in court.

For football and basketball, maybe. For wrestling, not a chance, too little return on the attorney costs.

And if the kid declines or refunds the original school's money, then what standing does the school have?

After all of that, the schools would still have to win the cases. That's hardly a given.
All I know, something has to be initiated to stop the separation of the haves and have nots.
The NCAA shut down SMU years ago for what is the norm now .
A smaller size program hits a couple of home runs on recruits in basketball or wrestling and doesn't get to see the long term results. It truly is not what is fair to the coach, the fan base or the overall dynamic of College Sports.
I'm not nieve to think this situation just started. Outside of the Academies and maybe Ivy League Schools this situation has been around for years. Now it involves a couple of more zeros on the end of base number for the"student" athlete.🤨

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
Maybe, but if you're Taylor, why not go after both? Vega is already at 138, so maybe he could go 149. Or maybe he thinks Blaze could stay at 133. OKST could use long-term help at 2 of the 3 weights (with RSFR Cael Hughes being at the other of 141 or 149).
Heck, Blaze is only a year removed from being recruited to be Okie State's 125 pounder. So 133 should be easy as pie in Stillwater.

I heard an ungodly amount, but what is everyone hearing Vega is getting per year.
Cornell was giving him an Ivy League degree but DT is giving him some serious $$$

Maybe, but if you're Taylor, why not go after both? Vega is already at 138, so maybe he could go 149. Or maybe he thinks Blaze could stay at 133. OKST could use long-term help at 2 of the 3 weights (with RSFR Cael Hughes being at the other of 141 or 149).
Because:

“Over the last 15 years, Penn State has shown that if you want to be a national champion, you come to Penn State.”

-David Taylor

Reactions: Creek Side
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT