ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Sasso shot

Does anyone know the Ohio State campus well? Is there a fair bit of crime?

I know Austin and Columbus are quite similar in that they were formerly sleepy, state capitols that were college towns but have exploded into proper cities, but Austin’s campus is very safe aside from dodging panhandlers

Reactions: We Are . . .

I know Austin and Columbus are quite similar in that they were formerly sleepy, state capitols that were college towns but have exploded into proper cities, but Austin’s campus is very safe aside from dodging panhandlers
I've only been there once for B1G 10s when tOSU won NCAAs. It's a big campus. It's set to one side of the large city.

as Columbus is large, I'm sure it has pockets of crime. Regardless, criminals can be pretty mobile.

Reported shooting location is on SE side of campus and 2.7 miles from Covelli.

Reactions: pennstatepelly

Campus itself is perfectly fine.
South and east of campus gets shady pretty quick. Its better now, than it was a few decades ago. Lots of money went into buying properties on high street (main road thru Columbus and borders the east end of campus), along the south side of campus and south of campus. Really cleaned it up. No more bars.

The problem with that area (just south/east of campus) has always been that you mix college students and inner city crowd. Used to have a lot of crime on weekend nights involving the mixing of those two, when there were bars/nightclubs. Better now. But, still have to be aware of your surroundings.

From the news information, this was a bit south of campus, on high street at a Kroger. Around 8:30 pm.

My friends who go there all say that the campus is safe but if you bring a car it will be broken into and that outside of campus isnt the best area

Reactions: Str8DBLz

One of my college roommates lives in suburban Reynoldsburg. He said that crime has been way up in the city this year. In the area where Sasso got shot, the main street is gentrified, but you don't wander off the main street. The mayor implemented a curfew there and added police at night after a shootout in the spring.

The Kroger is on the main street but a couple blocks from the restaurant strip -- so just outside the extra police presence. Go figure.

Hope he has a quick and full recovery. And that Ohio throws the book at the perp.

I know this is secondary: would be awful if he can't go to U23s in October.

So sad. The story I just read said.....according to the family......Sammy is expected to make a full recovery. Wishing the best and fastest recovery.
None of us wants to see a fine human being get hurt. Many of our wrestlers are deeply religious and will be praying for him. Strong competitors on the mat but the best friends you could ask for once the match is over.

Reactions: hlstone

Columbus is definitely not safe anywhere after dark. My mom lives in the Arena District which used to be very safe but I would never venture outisde after dark by myself. There was a murder just outside her condo a couple years ago. 10 years ago that would have been unheard of in this area.

I used to visit campus when I was in HS in the early 90s. It scared the crap out of me. Since then, Columbus and Ohio State have made tremendous improvements and are beautiful. Prayers for Sammy.

Not that it matters, I can’t recall anyone on this board knocking Sammy. Either that’s because he’s a PA guy or because he just puts his head down and wrestles, and wrestles incredibly well.

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
Columbus is definitely not safe anywhere after dark. My mom lives in the Arena District which used to be very safe but I would never venture outisde after dark by myself. There was a murder just outside our condo a couple years ago. 10 years ago that would have been unheard of in this area.
I respectfully disagree. I’ve spent many enjoyable, safe, and unafraid evenings in Columbus. Granted, I don’t venture too far off the beaten path.

I respectfully disagree. I’ve spent many enjoyable, safe, and unafraid evenings in Columbus. Granted, I don’t venture too far off the beaten path.
Unafraid doesn't equate to safe. Sure if you are in the Short North or German Village on a Friday night and there are lots of ppl around of course you are generally safe. Anywhere after dark though with little to no ppl around then you are not safe IMO. Of course it also all depends on your definition of safe. I'm sure Sammy felt safe just before he got shot..

Last edited:
I saw that after this post. No shame in breaking it out tho. Could use some more attention than ppl not caring about the TOSU lineup.
This terrible news....so sad and senseless.

BTW, news of this importance definitely deserves its own thread. Placing in the tOSU line thread is callous IMO. Wrestling and sports takes a backseat to someone fighting for their life....puts things in perspective.

Unafraid doesn't equate to safe. Sure if you are in the Short North on a Friday night and there are lots of ppl around of course you are generally safe. Anywhere after dark though with little to no ppl around then you are not safe IMO. Of course it also all depends on your definition of safe. I'm sure Sammy felt safe just before he got shot..
Columbus is no different than any other big city. It’s a great city. I’m in Atlanta. Great city. But I make sure I’m not in the wrong places at night.

Columbus is no different than any other big city. It’s a great city. I’m in Atlanta. Great city. But I make sure I’m not in the wrong places at night.
Exactly...I don't disagree with that statement at all...all cities in America are dangerous nowadays. And Atlanta is WAY more dangerous than Columbus IMO. I work part time in Roswell FWIW.

I think the point is and what the person who originally asked the question was wondering is YES Columbus is significantly more dangerous now than it was say 10 years ago. For example we would routinely walk to and from the Arena late at night 6 or 7 years ago and wouldn't even think about doing it now.

Last edited:
Exactly...I don't disagree with that statement at all...all cities in America are dangerous nowadays. And Atlanta is WAY more dangerous than Columbus IMO. I work part time in Roswell FWIW.

I think the point is and what the person who originally asked the question was wondering is YES Columbus is significantly more dangerous now than it was say 10 years ago.
We’re practically neighbors! I live in East Cobb and work by the ballpark. Pretty scary event over there a couple months ago where we had to shelter in place all afternoon.

Anyway, back to well wishes for Sammy and all the Buckeyes, even the tan man.

Reactions: fronk71
Damn…you wanna get shot….come to philly for the weekend. Love Philly and it’s my home, but the gun play there is second to no where but Chicago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT