ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday games of interest

USCs lost to unranked Michigan.
PSUs performance in LA looks terrible
You’re such a silly goose! USC lost to Minny on the road the week before. We got the BEST USC team anyone (other than LSU who lost them) would get and we won on the road coming from behind. Plus a HUGE confidence boost for Drew. And then following that loss they had to fly cross country to play Maryland. They lost twice to PSU. Stop being a negative Nancy. These are 18 year old Kids. Every game outcome is week to week. Be happy we are 6-0 and enjoy the weekend

Me everytime Iowa loses:

IMG-6799.gif

The fact is USC played their second best game after LSU against us. They have high level talent but obviously are underachieving and don't know how to close games and win. This over reaction that our win now versus them looks terrible or means we aren't as good now is such a ridiculous knee jerk reaction. What...now we are going to lose to Wisky and Minny because USC sucks and we barely beat them? Get off the ledge.
Respectfully, USC is 3-4 and has losses against 3 teams that are now unranked. They will likely have at least 6 losses on the season. You can describe PSUs win against them however you like, but that doesn't change reality.
FWIW, it's possible to say that PSUs win was terrible w/o believing it means losses to wisky and minny are imminent.

Further, the jury is out on PSU. JFs teams have routinely fallen down against teams of similar talent. Will this year vs OSU be any different? Nov 2 is coming fast. PSU has better lines than past years, but we'll see. If I'm OSU, I'm loading the box to take away the run and #44 trickery and daring the WRs to beat me.
It's been a decade. It's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical until there is reason to think differently. Remember UGA under Mark Richt?

Last edited:
Most people care simply because it gives you insight on how you're viewed
Why wouldn't people discuss resumes?
And, if we take care of business we're 13-0 and the #1 or #2 seed--not sure why we considering losing to Ohio State as "getting the job done"
Looking at reality. Taking care of business is doing what you are supposed to do in my mind. We aren't supposed to beat them but maybe we can.

Nevertheless, my point is resume comparison cannot really hurt us much at all if we are 11-1 losing to OSU.

-We will be ahead of Bama after their 2nd loss.
-Tennessee gets 2nd loss vs UGA so we are ahead of them.
-LSU will lose another one to either A&M on the road or at home to Bama plus we beat USC and they lost to them. They drop behind us.

So we are looking at a one loss Texas vs a one loss Georgis rubber match in SEC championship game. Loser will have two losses. That loser could get to #6 and we go to #7. Probably depends how "good" our OSU loss is and how the Horns and Dawgs look in SEC CCG. Remember also that yes USC is looking more and more like a unimpressive win but the Illinois win is looking better and better. It would be nice if USC could run the table from here on out. We have a big advantage of only one loss. If Texas loses to Georgia in the SEC championship game then their biggest win will be A&M who could lose at South Carolina in two weeks.

So with all that, if we "take care of business" we have an excellent shot to be a #6 seed.

Respectfully, USC is 3-4 and has losses against 3 teams that are now unranked. They will likely have at least 6 losses on the season. You can describe PSUs win against them however you like, but that doesn't change reality.
FWIW, it's possible to say that PSUs win was terrible w/o believing it means losses to wisky and minny are imminent.

Further, the jury is out on PSU. JFs teams have routinely fallen down against teams of similar talent. Will this year vs OSU be any different? Nov 2 is coming fast. PSU has better lines than past years, but we'll see. If I'm OSU, I'm loading the box to take away the run and #44 trickery and daring the WRs to beat me.
It's been a decade. It's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical until there is reason to think differently. Remember UGA under Mark Richt?
I hear you about Franklin. I think it will be very difficult to beat them and Franklin's track record in these matchups is horrible.

My overall point, though, is that even if we lose to OSU and finish 11-1, I don't think that the fact USC limps to the finish line really negatively impacts us much at all. I mean when it comes to playoff seeding jockeying.

A win being described as “terrible”…that’s funny.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Iowa State remains undefeated. I see way too many games like this. UCF has the ball in Iowa State territory with just over minutes remaining. Another 1st down gets them into FG position for an 8 pt lead. But they go conservative to run down the clock. Run, run, short safe pass, punt into the end zone (net 26 yds). Iowa State goes down the field to win.

Iowa State remains undefeated. I see way too many games like this. UCF has the ball in Iowa State territory with just over minutes remaining. Another 1st down gets them into FG position for an 8 pt lead. But they go conservative to run down the clock. Run, run, short safe pass, punt into the end zone (net 26 yds). Iowa State goes down the field to win.
Seen it a million times

Reactions: bdroc
1 Oregon
2 Georgia
3 Penn State
4 Ohio State
5 Texas
HUGE GAP
6 Miami
Then it's just which decent team you think is better than the next. I'd have it
7 Clemson
8 LSU
9 Iowa State
10 Tennessee
11 Indiana
12 Kansas State
13 Notre Dame
14 Illinois
15 Alabama
But that's all interchangeable along with schools like Boise State and A&M
The top 5 is pretty clear cut IMO

1 Oregon
2 Georgia
3 Penn State
4 Ohio State
5 Texas
HUGE GAP
6 Miami
Then it's just which decent team you think is better than the next. I'd have it
7 Clemson
8 LSU
9 Iowa State
10 Tennessee
11 Indiana
12 Kansas State
13 Notre Dame
14 Illinois
15 Alabama
But that's all interchangeable along with schools like Boise State and A&M
The top 5 is pretty clear cut IMO
Side note...it looks like Miami won't play a ranked team all season... crazy

The first round byes go to the 4 highest ranked conference champions. The only way PSU can get a bye is to win the BiG title game. Two of the 4 spots will go to teams not in the SEC or BiG (like Iowa State or Miami).
Everyone with a clue knows that. My post you responded to only had 5-6 seeding listed.
For PSU to be seeded 5 or 6 they would probably have to be the loser of the BiG title game. I struggle to believe that OSU or Oregon would be seeded 5th and PSU would be seeded 6th.
To be 5, likely.
That would mean the second best team in the SEC would be no higher than 7th but I guess it's possible.
An unbeaten Texas handing as many other teams a 2nd loss before the CCG would have been a good way of making that a possibility. It’s moot now that Texas lost.

Two 1-loss SEC teams meeting in their CCG isn’t as favorable as one of them being a 2-loss team that eventually loses.

The caveat is that if one of those 1-loss teams were LSU. If they were able to make it and then lose, there would need to be a lot of mental gymnastics used to have post CCG 2-loss LSU ranked above a theoretical 1-loss PSU.

Most people care simply because it gives you insight on how you're viewed
Why wouldn't people discuss resumes?
And, if we take care of business we're 13-0 and the #1 or #2 seed--not sure why we considering losing to Ohio State as "getting the job done"
If PSU should get blown out by Ohio State and wins all other games (meaning 11-1), does that give the playoff committee pause?

11-1 PSU is definitely going to the playoffs.

The playoff selections will be interesting this year. Let’s say PSU loses to OSU (shocking, I know) but wins out at 11-1. OSU finishes the year 11-1. Oregon finishes 12-0. Indiana finishes 11-1.

1. Who goes to the Big Ten championship game?

2. The Big Ten champ is in the playoff. Who would be the second team? 11-1 PSU or 11-1 Indiana or 11-2 OSU (or 12-1 Oregon)?

3. Would Herbstreit et al again be saying we shouldn’t punish a team for playing in a championship game and losing? They’ve done that in the past. I doubt the Big Ten gets 4 teams in.

The playoff selections will be interesting this year. Let’s say PSU loses to OSU (shocking, I know) but wins out at 11-1. OSU finishes the year 11-1. Oregon finishes 12-0. Indiana finishes 11-1.

1. Who goes to the Big Ten championship game?

2. The Big Ten champ is in the playoff. Who would be the second team? 11-1 PSU or 11-1 Indiana or 11-2 OSU (or 12-1 Oregon)?

3. Would Herbstreit et al again be saying we shouldn’t punish a team for playing in a championship game and losing? They’ve done that in the past. I doubt the Big Ten gets 4 teams in.
1 Ohio State plays Oregon
2 Penn State or Ohio State depending on how competitive the game is--Indiana is 3rd
3 Yes he would

Why don't you think the Big Ten would get in 4? We're actually in better shape to get 4 than the SEC because of how schedules fell?
Indiana at 11-1 with their only loss to Ohio State (assuming Rourke is able to play) over the Big XII runner up isn't even really a debate.

Oregon, Penn State and Ohio State are locks with 1 or less loses. Indiana would have a shot at 11-1 depending on how things shake out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT