ADVERTISEMENT

"See what a blocked Field Goal

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
Can do to a team's confidence?"

I am not one to get too upset over anything Herbie says. Firstly, I think he has been fair to Penn State over the years....not complimentary or promoting, but fair to Penn State, which is more than we can say about a sea of "journalists" and "analysts."

That being said, I have great disdain for what he said last night and its caused me to question any formed opinions I have had of Herbie in the past. "See what a blocked FG can do to a team's confidence," is at minimum highly condescending. More realistically, it minimizes our effort against OSU and plays into the "fluky" narrative describing Penn States win over OSU that has been so predominant the last few weeks. I understand why they are employing this tactic, its to "minimize" OSU's loss and promote them, but they are beating teams 62-3, they don't need help! All it does is detract from the kids at Penn State, which is total garbage for myriad reasons. Penn State beat the snot out of OSU in the fourth quarter and they folded like a cheap suit. Don't cherry-pick one play, that was a sensational play/effort btw, and act like that is the only reason they won.

These ESPN guys are so caught up in their own personal agendas that they don't realize the best story in college football is happening right under their noses, and they are too busy promoting their teams or how they think this playoff should pan out. Shame on Herbie.

I am not one to get too upset over anything Herbie says. Firstly, I think he has been fair to Penn State over the years....not complimentary or promoting, but fair to Penn State, which is more than we can say about a sea of "journalists" and "analysts."

That being said, I have great disdain for what he said last night and its caused me to question any formed opinions I have had of Herbie in the past. "See what a blocked FG can do to a team's confidence," is at minimum highly condescending. More realistically, it minimizes our effort against OSU and plays into the "fluky" narrative describing Penn States win over OSU that has been so predominant the last few weeks. I understand why they are employing this tactic, its to "minimize" OSU's loss and promote them, but they are beating teams 62-3, they don't need help! All it does is detract from the kids at Penn State, which is total garbage for myriad reasons. Penn State beat the snot out of OSU in the fourth quarter and they folded like a cheap suit. Don't cherry-pick one play, that was a sensational play/effort btw, and act like that is the only reason they won.

These ESPN guys are so caught up in their own personal agendas that they don't realize the best story in college football is happening right under their noses, and they are too busy promoting their teams or how they think this playoff should pan out. Shame on Herbie.

Too bad it didn't work for the Bucks in the first half.....

He leaned anti-Penn State all night long last night, and it was obvious. His defenders are on here making personal straw man attacks, but I don't care: Herbstreit was a shill last night, and your post is five stars. Well done.

Reactions: ram2020
Hmm....wonder why he didn't say "see what relentless defense with two straight sacks on 3rd and 4th down when the game was on the line can do for you?"

Hmmm, strange he didn't say that as well.

I'm sure he and Urban tugged each other off over a Papa John's pizza while sitting in a golf cart after the game. Par for the course.

daO$U scored their final points of the PSU game with 8:31 remaining in the 3rd Qtr - 2 pts off a PSU bad snap to the tune of -35 yards for a safety. During the final 23 minutes and 29 seconds of the game, daO$U had 5 possessions - they punted on 3 of these possessions, turned the ball over on downs at their own 29 yard-line on the final possession and had a long FG attempt blocked on their next to last possession!

Even worse if you go back to their last offensive score which came at 10:10 of the 3rd Qtr. IOW, daO$U's offense was held scoreless for the final 25 minutes and 10 seconds of the game!!! Given that daO$U's offense was also held scoreless for the first 15 minutes of the game, that would mean that daO$U's Offense was held scoreless for fully two-thirds of the PSU game and PSU gave daO$U a free possession in PSU territory in the 2nd Qtr on Reid's muffed punt reception......2 pts and a FREE KICK (i.e., tons of field position) on the -35 yard snap over the punters head......and PSU also muffed a chip-shot FG on their first possession due to a dropped snap!

Yea, holding a team scoreless for two-thirds of the game and outscoring them 17-0 in the final 23 and one-half minutes of the game is just such a "fluke" LMFAO!

He leaned anti-Penn State all night long last night, and it was obvious. His defenders are on here making personal straw man attacks, but I don't care: Herbstreit was a shill last night, and your post is five stars. Well done.

So they are blowing teams out now...there were 4+ minutes left in our game with them and all they needed was a field goal to tie it! We dominated them in the final 1.5 quarters. We came back against a 21-7 deficit in the 2nd half. NO ONE else has come close to that. That counts more than these hacks want to believe and I have (perhaps naive) faith that if we run the table, the committee will see it too.

They are a legit team and contender. We could both go. But we beat them fair and square and didn't allow them to do what they do to everyone else, despite multiple gifts. It wasn't some gd fluke.

daO$U scored their final points of the PSU game with 8:31 remaining in the 3rd Qtr - 2 pts off a PSU bad snap to the tune of -35 yards for a safety. During the final 23 minutes and 29 seconds of the game, daO$U had 5 possessions - they punted on 3 of these possessions, turned the ball over on downs at their own 29 yard-line on the final possession and had a long FG attempt blocked on their next to last possession!

Even worse if you go back to their last offensive score which came at 10:10 of the 3rd Qtr. IOW, daO$U's offense was held scoreless for the final 25 minutes and 10 seconds of the game!!! Given that daO$U's offense was also held scoreless for the first 15 minutes of the game, that would mean that daO$U's Offense was held scoreless for fully two-thirds of the PSU game and PSU gave daO$U a free possession in PSU territory in the 2nd Qtr on Reid's muffed punt reception......2 pts and a FREE KICK (i.e., tons of field position) on the -35 yard snap over the punters head......and PSU also muffed a chip-shot FG on their first possession due to a dropped snap!

Yea, holding a team scoreless for two-thirds of the game and outscoring them 17-0 in the final 23 and one-half minutes of the game is just such a "fluke" LMFAO!
I hope our offensive woes don't repeat last year's. We didn't use Elliott right versus MSU and he complained after the game. It appears Zeke was right.

Just remember, these talking heads don't run the CFP. The people running the CFP know that game wasn't a fluke, they know with a young team how good PSU could be in years to come. We played O$U tough that night, kept them in check and beat them. We rolled Iowa who just upset Mich. We kept it a close game against sPitt with the amount of injuries we had. The CFP committee knows PSU is for real, no need to worry about ESiPN or other media outlets. We need to focus of Rutgers...

Last edited:
I've written this before but it is kudos to the staff and players.
Von Walker ( one of my favs) said sometime this summer that the team
Had worked harder on special teams than anytime in his four years.
When Franklin came aboard we were 123rd in the nation
On special teams. I love our kicking game.
Coverage is excellent.
Sanders or/ and Reid are going to break one this weekend.
We are playing all aspects of the game.

I love that all the talking heads are in a tizzy over us. This is our big FU to all the haters out there. I really hope we win our last two and Ohio State beats Michigan. And then I really hope we play and beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship Game.
I would love to see and hear all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that one.

tumblr_inline_n3dkhvrUyu1rszbcl.gif

tumblr_m4iwvfTZ7y1qbjwbn.gif

What is most annoying with this line of thought is Herbie and others fail to state minus one long run from Samuels and OSU didn't do JACK SH!T against PSU. They had a special teams score of their own and one long run that led to 9 of their 21 points. You can call it flukey if OSU was actually truely dominating the game, but they had one GD long run....that was it. Other than that it was a defensive battle. The long run was a flukey play on that night as they were getting under 3 YPC and the OSU OL was being abused.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. You may think it is corny that Coach Franklin says each week that the team is looking to go 1 and 0. They only thing PSU can do is play the games each week as they come. Can't worry about a game weeks from now if you don't win this week.

I really wish Fox sports would do more shows and take away viewers from ESPN. They are such trash. I typically like Herbie. He is less so biased then the rest. But his comments last night were ridiculous. I think they see their ACC 2 team playoff selection slipping away and the bosses are cracking the whip

Reactions: 91Joe95
See what a snap over the head of a team's punter can do to a team's confidence?

O$U has scored in an incredible 37 of the 40 quarters they have played and averaged 49.3 points in the nine games other than the PSU game. PSU is responsible for 2 of those 3 scoreless quarters and held them to 24 points (2 of which were handed to them on the safety). Some people might call that a "fluke" but I believe the term they are looking for is "ass whoopin"!!

Listen up. Kirk Herbstreit is a phuckin GASBAG who spews platitudes about CFB. He's all for the flavor of the day. He doesnt know when to STFU, especially as a game commentator. Jebus, dont hang on every word that clown has to say.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. You may think it is corny that Coach Franklin says each week that the team is looking to go 1 and 0. They only thing PSU can do is play the games each week as they come. Can't worry about a game weeks from now if you don't win this week.
I'm not playing this week so it doesn't matter what I worry about.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

The team has to focus. The fans and the media get to talk. It's his job to keep them in check and get the actual team ready. This thread isn't tackling anyone wearing Red this weekend.

Sorry to high jack the thread but I am so sick and tired to people saying "don't look ahead" "focus of Rutgers" "one week at a time"

Look, we're fans, that's what we do. It's up to the team and the coaches to stay focused, as fans we have the luxury of being all over the place all the time. Without dreaming, conjecture, and what if's and shoulda, woulda, coulda heck, we might just as well go watch golf..........

When PSU was down Herbie was fair in his assessments of PSU football placing the blame on the sanctions. Now that PSU is a legitimate threat to his bucknuts his tune has changed.

What does any of it matter. If we win out PSU has a great chance of being in the final 4. If either OSU or Mich. win out they will have only 1 loss and they will be in the final 4. The real question is will they take 2 from the same conf. I am sure Wisc has the same feelings we have.

What does any of it matter. If we win out PSU has a great chance of being in the final 4. If either OSU or Mich. win out they will have only 1 loss and they will be in the final 4. The real question is will they take 2 from the same conf. I am sure Wisc has the same feelings we have.
The Huskies may drop a game and maybe Houston upsets UL tomorrow night...you never know. Hell IU could upset UM with a new QB and UM could turn around with that front 7 and upset OSU. People are in love with OSU's big scores, but UM's front 7 >>>>> than PSU's. They can really get after a QB and disrupt a backfield. Clemson has shown average teams can stick around with them and UNC or VT could shock them in the ACC championship. Too many games left to even worry about. I just want PSU to get to 10 and see what happens after that.

Reactions: doublehaul

I happen to agree with you. If OSU wasn't shut down the last 23 minutes of the game, winning time, they might not have had to worry about a blocked kick. PSU put themselves in position to win and did! *%^#(@ the Buckeyes!

When PSU was down Herbie was fair in his assessments of PSU football placing the blame on the sanctions. Now that PSU is a legitimate threat to his bucknuts his tune has changed.
Herbie's facial expressions were a little off last night too. I even saw him shake his head a couple times at the comments of others in a disrespectful kind of way. Even though he was terrible on the scandal, the guy that's been very complimentary of our team this year has been Joey Galloway. He's been on the ball with Penn State this season.

Wow, so special teams don't matter. They aren't an important phase of the game. It's all just quirky dumb luck. That's a new one on me. Oh well, he's the "expert". I sure hope Meyer is preaching that to his team. LOL

Reactions: Howie'81
The term "Fluke Win" term is pretty weak in this regard. Just because it was a blocked field goal towards the end, shouldn't downplay the fact that OSU had some gimme points earlier, and PSU was dominating on defense towards the end. That game was pretty even the whole game.

Our special teams has improved more than any unit on the team in my opinion. Our kickoff coverage has been very good. We have a very steady fg kicker who has shown he can make a big kick. Our punter has been fantastic and has shown he can keep his head if all goes to hell with his recovery of the snap over his head vs OSU and his drop of the snap vs Indiana this past weekend. Our kick and punt returners have been solid. Field position has improved tremendously making us a much better all team. The blocked kicks are great, but the 10-15 yards in field position on offense and defense has made a world of difference. Now when we go for it on 4th down and don't get it around midfield.. that's a complaint for another day. Guys made plays for us. I don't know how a great play made is a flukey play. Now a bounced interception that can't get overturned because the video review equipment is down.. that seems a little flukey. Someone on offense, defense AND special teams is stepping up to help us win each week. This is a very good TEAM when all put together.

Reactions: joeparules
Herbie's facial expressions were a little off last night too. I even saw him shake his head a couple times at the comments of others in a disrespectful kind of way. Even though he was terrible on the scandal, the guy that's been very complimentary of our team this year has been Joey Galloway. He's been on the ball with Penn State this season.
It almost appears they have to assign good cop/bad cop when it comes to PSU. It was Herbie (good) and Mush Mouf (bad) the last five years, while now it is Galloway (good) and Herbie (bad). As we've learned controversy sells and they can't have everyone agreeing on every topic/team.

Bottom line....If Ohio State wins vs MSU and Michigan....they will be playing in the CFP, IMO.

It almost appears they have to assign good cop/bad cop when it comes to PSU. It was Herbie (good) and Mush Mouf (bad) the last five years, while now it is Galloway (good) and Herbie (bad). As we've learned controversy sells and they can't have everyone agreeing on every topic/team.
Yeah, you know, this stuff is probably scripted.

See what a front line defense will do for a teams confidence ya mean!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT