ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

Thank you everyone for providing updates!

Is it just me or has Bajrang fallen off considerably over the last few years? It seems like right about the time he came and did his U.S. trip and wrestled Zain on the NLWC card he peaked, and after he lost, hasn't been the same.
It may be that Bajrang has fallen off of late. Call it the Cliff Keen effect if you want, lol. But 65kg is probably the toughest weight in the world--I think unquestionably the one w/ the most parity. There are killers all over the bracket.

It may be that Bajrang has fallen off of late. Call it the Cliff Keen effect if you want, lol. But 65kg is probably the toughest weight in the world--I think unquestionably the one w/ the most parity. There are killers all over the bracket.
Good point. He just seemed head and shoulders ahead of everyone just a few years ago. Amazing how many hammers closed the gap and passed him up!

Seth Gross up at 61kg v Rei Higuchi (JPN) semis
  • Higuchi in deep on a leg, Gross scrambling, but Higuchi scoots behind, 2-0, can't do anything with it.
  • Gross dives in on a leg, Higuchi trying to get behind but Gross holds tight at the edge
  • Higuchi shoots again, Gross looking for exposure points, but Higuchi gets the points instead; Gross escapes backdoor for the reversal, 4-1 Higuchi
  • Higuchi fails with an arm throw, Gross gets behind but it's ruled a slip
  • Break
  • Gross shoots, Higuchi gets position, but Gross scores 4-3
  • Higuchi shoots, Gross gets behind and rolls him but it's ruled 2 and 2; Gross up 7-6
  • Higuchi low leg, Gross on his butt and in trouble, gives up two, but Gross looked to get exposure as well; only Higuchi is awarded. It stands 8-7 Higuchi pending a challenge. :49 seconds remaining.
  • Challenge lost, plus a caution against Gross (?); up 10-7, Gross on bottom.
  • Higuchi gets 2 and 2 more, up 14-7 with time winding down, and that'll be it.
  • It was hard to imagine Seth Gross getting this far his first time out but great showing. He'll wrestle for Bronze.
  • That was only the third US loss this tournament (Zilmer and Zain the other two)

Last edited:
Yianni v Seabass (PUR) now in the 65kg semi
  • Yianni in fast and adds a gut, 4-0
  • Another fast single followed by two guts and it's over. 10-0. Yianni is in the finals.
  • Yianni will face Amouzadkhalili (IRI), who convincingly beat Aliyev (AZE)

Last edited:
Traveling today (passenger), thanks for all of the updates.
What is the best site for upcoming matches and times?

Kyle Snyder up now v Mohammadian (IRI), who beat Snyder four years ago
  • Snyder doubles off the whistle, up 2-0
  • Snyder the more active wrestler so far; Mohammadian now on the clock
  • Break, Snyder up 3-1
  • Snyder holding center but not looking to do much
  • Mohammadian drives Snyder oob, 3-1
  • 1:34 remaining, Snyder warned for passivity
  • Snyder looked double, abandoned it
  • 1:00 remaining
  • Mohammadian shoots, Snyder front headlock D, step out point makes it 4-1
  • Snyder back in the finals

Last edited:
Kyle Snyder up now v Mohammadian (IRI), who beat Snyder four years ago
  • Snyder doubles off the whistle, up 2-0
  • Snyder the more active wrestler so far; Mohammadian now on the clock
  • Break, Snyder up 3-1
  • Snyder holding center but not looking to do much
  • Mohammadian drives Snyder oob, 3-1
  • 1:34 remaining, Snyder warned for passivity
  • Snyder looked double, abandoned it
  • 1:00 remaining
  • Mohammadian shoots, Snyder front headlock D, step out point makes it 4-1
  • Snyder back in the finals
Does this clinch team title for US?

Something else I haven't seen discussed yet, but Thomas, Zain, DT, and Snyder all get to sit to Final X next year (as well as Dake, Burroughs, Cox). Shoot, it could be 9 of 10 weights that way. The 10th? Paging Dr. Kerkvliet!
Good thoughts I didn’t consider that either. That’s going to be a really small event.

2ca34n.jpg

Gilman up now vs Abakarov (ALB) for gold
  • Abakarov with an arm throw; no points awarded b/c there was no exposure; white paddled but now they're having a conference, and Abakarov is awarded two.
  • Abakarov with another TD and being given a lot of time to get more; Gilman given a caution and one for fingers. 5-0.
  • Abakarov can't turn with the lace but Gilman in a hole.
  • Gilman with a leg, skips him out for a step out. 5-1
  • Gilman pressing now with time winding down in the first. Warned for fingers but no caution.
  • Break
  • Abakarov has the most severe 'wrestling face' I've ever seen.
  • Gilman guesses wrong on an exchange, winds up in the air, and taken down. 7-1, 2:30 remaining
  • Gilman gets another step-out point.
  • Abakarov in on ankle, Gilman spins out but it's stalemated. 1:33 left
  • Gilman low shot, leg in the air, Abakarov jumps out of it. :45 remaining.
  • Gilman wrestling from his knees with time winding down.
  • 7-2, Albania's first world champ. Nice wrestling from Abakarov.

Last edited:
Sorry for the tardiness, Dake v Salkazanov (SVK)
  • Dake up 3-0, (I'll figured out how after match)
  • High-C to a step out for one 1--0
  • Seatbelt scoot-behind for two going OOB 3-0
  • Break
  • Salkazanov not very active, but neither is Dake; judge awards Salkazanov a caution point for Dake dancing around
  • :30 remaining, Dake content to run clock out
  • Dake holds on, and that's his fourth world championship

Last edited:
What a tale of 2 periods. I don't think I've ever seen Kyle be that aggressive offensively in the 1st. Then, he goes in full reverse for nearly all of the 2nd. Hangs on though, and is now 4 for 4 in World Championships. 3-2

What a tale of 2 periods. I don't think I've ever seen Kyle be that aggressive offensively in the 1st. Then, he goes in full reverse for nearly all of the 2nd. Hangs on though, and is now 4 for 4 in World Championships. 3-2
Dake is a pretty cerebral guy. This coupled with being arguably one of the best defensive wrestlers in the world, I think he instinctively runs the math and manages risk to victory often against the very top competitors. The very best have a lot of tricks up their sleeves, and one miscue can cost a match. Frustrating to watch but a sound approach.

Cox v Ghasempour (IRI) for gold at 92kg
  • Ghasempour goes on clock
  • Ghasempour immediately in on a double, lifts Cox and finishes. 2-0
  • Cox pressed late in first but can't score
  • Break
  • Heavy collar ties leads to warning for both
  • A bit of a scramble but nothing comes of it
  • Ghasempour bleeding from above his left eye, getting bandaged up. Takes a knee as he's being tended to.
  • 1:42 remaining
  • Cox almost hits a really nice single, switching legs at the last moment, but nope
  • Ghasempour with a single, Cox looked to leverage that leg, called for potentially dangerous
  • Time running out, and that's it, Cox loses 2-0, takes silver
  • Ghasempour had ridiculous defense, and Cox wasn't creative enough to get through it
  • Cox embraces Ghasempour, has some words for him.

Last edited:
Man, Cox is frustrating. I think he's the stingiest of them all, but he waits too long for offense. The Iranian was super slick and never really seemed in danger,

I never thought J'den would meet an athletic equal on the mat. I think he has. Unreal defense from the Iranian. I don't feel like Cox wrestled a very good tactical match though. Didn't stick w/ the hand fighting he was making some hay with in the 1st. Easy for me to say though. I think that's the one and only head-to-head win for Iran vs. US this year.

Reactions: diggerpup
Good thoughts I didn’t consider that either. That’s going to be a really small event.
Not really accurate.
USA medal winners will all automatically advance to Final X. Sure.
But -

1. Still need the full US Open tourney to determine the opponent for Final X
2. US Open winner still is entitled to the “Best of 3” at Final X to knock off the USA medal winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT