ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

lotta crying in here, today, boys!

and not a lot of reality.
I was wrong about Wilson needing 9th to be in at-large consideration. I deleted that post and issued a correction.

Manning accused Cael of deliberately keeping another team’s wrestler out of 2017 NCAAs, doing so knowing the entire time that Suriano wasn’t going to wrestle.

Three PSU wrestlers on the 2017 roster said it wasn’t true.

Who is crying? The guy that went to Twitter with a false accusation about something that happened 7 years ago or the folks pointing out the falsity of it?

Manning is getting ready for the Diaper Dan Wrestling Classic. Is that still in Pittsburgh?

DP_1.jpg

Here's the thing about guys like Manning. There are coaches out there at all levels, and in all sports, whose toolbox of motivational tricks is about one drawer deep. And usually, as in his case, it only has one tool in that one drawer, which generally revolves around some sort of I-got-screwed/negative/revenge-oriented motivation. And the thing is, athletes that are actually motivated by that sort of thing are generally meatheads, and tend to not win the big one when push comes to shove.

As I tell my kids, in life, you will do much better if you are actually able to define what you are affirmatively "for," and work toward it, rather than simply being a contrarian motivated by what they are simply "against."

Willy’s main point was that the rules allowing the Suriano or Carter situations should NOT exist, not that Carter and Cael did anything he wouldn’t do.

However, he kept repeating that it is Carter’s fault that another team didn’t get their athlete in since he chose not to wrestle. Basically, Willie believes it’s Penn State/Carter Starocci’s job to look out for the well-being of teams with bubble athletes. Totally ludicrous.

Last edited:
Willy’s main point was that the rules allowing the Suriano or Carter situations should exist, not that Carter and Cael did anything he wouldn’t do.

However, he kept repeating that it is Carter’s fault that another team didn’t get their athlete in since he chose not to wrestle. Basically, Willie believes it’s Penn State/Carter Starocci’s job to look out for the well-being of teams with bubble athletes. Totally ludicrous.
umm... seems like holding cstarr out created an allocation for a bubble athlete from his own conference. That is selfish... :)

lmao.

that is 100% not what my point was.

but it is 100% accurate that Carter's season/situation affected not one but 2 allocations.

@smalls103 you said Carter didn’t earn a conference allocation. No RPI, but 100% win pct and #1 coaches ranking didn’t earn a conference allocation?

9:27 - 10:15 of podcast

Willy’s main point was that the rules allowing the Suriano or Carter situations should exist, not that Carter and Cael did anything he wouldn’t do.

That's also just wrong, though, too. By not wrestling, he didn't use an AQ, so an extra guy got an AQ and one less (maybe) got an at-large that Starocci needed, so it's a wash. The only way Willie would be right is if he thought that if Starocci would have wrestled, he would have done so poorly that he wouldn't have even been considered for an at-large anymore, which is nonsense.

It also makes sense if Cael/Carter did this knowing already that he wouldn't be able to go at nationals, which is also nonsense, and was nonsense with Suriano as well, since Cutch, Mark, and Bo all confirmed that Nick in fact was "down in the room" trying to give it a go but just couldn't in the end.

I'll give the podcast a listen this evening.

Here's the thing about guys like Manning.
here's the thing about guys like you:

you've never talked to Manning in your life.

it was a bad/dumb tweet by a guy whose passion is seeing his guys achieve things.

but by all means, blow it out of proportion.

• Wow
Reactions: Hotshoe
It’s always a fine line. Frank Molinaro thought he was done and Cael gave him some tough love and Frank when out and won.

Nolf wanted to finish the match when he got hurt … “I’ll just ride him out”.. and Cael said no. Someone decided he wouldn’t go at BIGs, and Jason won Nats with a bullet,

Someone this weekend for another team tried to keep going and the corner stopped it after 10 seconds of limping around the mat. Michigan and/or Shane had to make the tough decision to pull
Shane.

Labeling any of it gamesmanship when it is clearly 100% within the rules, not some gray area loophole, is sour grapes. Let alone doing it without knowing what you are talking about.

Fact is, PSU holding Carter out did not hurt anyone else in the BIG field. No one.

If there were no wild card entries? Fine. If that’s the rule Carter goes and we will never know if he wins his Qtrs and gets through… but there aren’t many who would bet against him the way he looked walking to the mat. And the 1-6 Nebraska guy doesn’t get in. Carter absolutely can’t wrestle? BClaw goes and probably takes an allocated spot.
Jadon Nolf wrestled two matches at Bigs.

here's the thing about guys like you:

you've never talked to Manning in your life.

it was a bad/dumb tweet by a guy whose passion is seeing his guys achieve things.

but by all means, blow it out of proportion.
Most people who make a bad/dumb tweets eventually either delete their tweet or retract their comments. Let’s see if he grows up enough to do that. There are a lot of ways to advocate for his guys without making baseless accusations.

lmao.

that is 100% not what my point was.

but it is 100% accurate that Carter's season/situation affected not one but 2 allocations.
Are you netting out that the conf got an AQ from someone who would have needed an at-large?

9:27 - 10:15;

“If Carter would have wrestled one or two more matches in the regular season, defaulted, he could have won one match and defaulted out, and not have needed a wild card because he would have allocated. But he didn’t. So not only did he not wrestle at conference tournament, but he didn’t wrestle enough in the season to get an allocation. Which number 1 means we lost the ability to see Carter Starocci as much as we could, and two, it affected the allocation of someone else. It affected somebody else getting in. Somebody else is not at NCAAs this year, they did not qualify for NCAAs, because Carter Starocci one, didn’t wrestle enough matches, and two, didn’t wrestle in the conference tournament.”

Can someone help me understand how his low match count factored into all this? Because he met the win pct and coaches ranking requirements, and you only need two of three, the third being RPI, I thought.

Reactions: Creek Side and Ski
9:27 - 10:15;

“If Carter would have wrestled one or two more matches in the regular season, defaulted, he could have won one match and defaulted out, and not have needed a wild card because he would have allocated. But he didn’t. So not only did he not wrestle at conference tournament, but he didn’t wrestle enough in the season to get an allocation. Which number 1 means we lost the ability to see Carter Starocci as much as we could, and two, it affected the allocation of someone else. It affected somebody else getting in. Somebody else is not at NCAAs this year, they did not qualify for NCAAs, because Carter Starocci one, didn’t wrestle enough matches, and two, didn’t wrestle in the conference tournament.”

Can someone help me understand how his low match count factored into all this? Because he met the win pct and coaches ranking requirements, and you only need two of three, the third being RPI, I thought.
100% win pct is not good enough. We'Re DoOmEd!!! LOL.

yeah, i goofed that up.

i thought Carter didn't allocate (b/c of low match count) but he did.

which means someone else from the B1G (Brody Baumann) got that spot, but he also took a WC.

the larger point is not that Cael or Carter or PSU did anything wrong, it's that the process is ass.
So the bottom line is that Manning is angry that Wilson didn't place higher than Brody Baumann, who is a 12-14 RS frosh. Maybe Wilson should have just beaten Baumann in their dual and he would have had the favorable seed instead of Brody? Head to head (where Wilson lost) is the reason Baumann was higher than Wilson anyway.

Baumann definitely benefitted in a really absurd way (and this is where the "process is ass" argument is accurate). He lost his opening 7-10 matchup, then got a bye in Consi1 (R16) from the 2-15 match and an inury default in Consi2 (blood round R12) to get a top 8 place without winning a single match then lost in Consi3 and the 7-8 match, so he qualified for an AQ as the 8th place with the benefit of two "byes" and without winning a match. Must be nice, LOL.

yeah, i goofed that up.

which means someone else from the B1G (Brody Baumann) got that spot, but he also took a WC.

the larger point is not that Cael or Carter or PSU did anything wrong, it's that the process is ass.
You realize this thread isn’t about the “process.” The process here isn’t in question.

This is about a head coach blatantly throwing out accusations of “gamesmanship” against PSU. If that’s what he believes, he should have kept it to himself. But to put it out in public, he should have had his facts straight. OR be a bigger man and apologize for throwing out his assumption as facts

You can be upset at the rules and the low match counts but none of it has anything to do with Manning going to Twitter and accusing Cael of cheating 7 years ago.
Yeah I'm confused. He came here to call us out for ridiculing Manning for a dumb tweet then admits it was a dumb tweet. I think there is some degree of backpedaling here, but in the end I think we can all agree that Mark Manning is an incredible butthead (just kidding not really).

yeah, i goofed that up.

All of this because the 34th guy got left out, even after a softer conf tourney than he would have had if Star wrestled. Makes sense.

I don't give a shit about the process being fair or unfair. This crybaby took shot after shot on Us. Period.

I hope all nine of their wrestlers lose every single one of their matches by fall.

Reactions: hansolo67
I don't give a shit about the process being fair or unfair. This crybaby took shot after shot on Us. Period.

I hope all nine of their wrestlers lose every single one of their matches by fall.
Nah. I just want to boo him.

Reactions: Psubiomed
As I said above, it doesn't seem like the at-large system is broken in this case as much as the AQ system. Brody Baumann, as a 10 seed, was guaranteed a top 8 spot & AQ before the tournament even started given that Starocci was defaulting (and got it despite not winning a single match at the tournament). Or, more accurately, the loser of the 7-10 match was guaranteed an AQ, but the winner wasn't. Max Maylor was the 7 seed. He beat Baumann then lost to Griffith in the quarters and had to beat DJ Washington in a blood round match to earn his spot (which he did, but that's not a gimme). That system is broken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT