ADVERTISEMENT

Some sanity on hoops transfers

BlueBand

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
The freak out over players jumping in the portal... can we try to calm ourselves a little before declaring the program dead for a decade or more? I get everyone (OK, the core group of hoops supporters) is anxious. I am too. The histrionics are a bit much, though. ;) So, consider...

1.) If you follow the threads on here, we’ve known for months this was happening, and you have had time to gird your loins.

2.) The program isn’t imploding. That happened months ago. Like a distant star that supernovas, by the time the light travels to us and we see it in the night sky, the event is long over. We’re just now seeing the roster implosion.

3.) Almost everyone thought we would never pony up the cash to get a coach on the level of Shrewsberry. When Chambers was let go, people were placing bets on the Vermont coach. Instead, we have a highly respected coach with a great pedigree and experience, albeit in his first major head coach role. And he’s been instrumental in attracting and developing some high level recruits and NBA players. Freaking Brad Stevens hired him twice. Let’s see what a coach of his caliber can do before declaring the program dead.

4.) Speaking of cash... while an investment in the program still means our budget will be in line with Rutgers, look where Rutgers is this year. Dancing.

5.) Rumors are the big man coach at Purdue might be coming with Shrewsberry (which would be huge, no pun intended). Another possibility is an assistant at Miami (the U, not of Ohio). With a better budget, let’s see what the assistants look like, which could really help with attracting recruits and transfers.

6.) People saying we can’t replace players like Sessoms and Brockington in the portal. Hello? Where did they come from?

7.) I think people are underestimating the possibilities of the transfer portal. This isn’t the old transfer system. It’s much easier for players to leave now, and there are good players who in the past would have stayed with a program who now are able to look for greener pastures. And we have an abundance of playing time in the B1G under a respected coach to sell. And most transfers are looking for? More playing time. Maybe we end up with a bunch of 2 stars no major teams wanted, but until then, let’s see what plays out. Granted, the number of players we will need is high.

8.) The tourneys are just starting. Most of the better kids who end up in the portal won’t go in until their season is done. For all we know, Shrewsberry may already have backchannel communications going with a number of potential quality players. One good thing about having our coach lined up, instead of just starting the search process.

9.) While we are losing some good players and people (players I would prefer stay to build around), let’s not forget they played on a team with a losing record. We’re not losing the equivalent of Michigan’s or Illinois’ roster. And if we are, then we should be glad Chambers was let go, and Ferry wasn’t retained, because neither was getting those results with these players.

10.) Yeah, the situation with transfers sucks. But what’s done is done. We can’t change it. So, we can complain, or we can look at the positives that are happening, focus on them, and support the new coach, staff, players that stay and new players that come in.

I’m in no way downplaying the effect of losing all of these players. But I am saying, the sky isn’t necessarily falling (yet). Could be short term pain for long term gain.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News