ADVERTISEMENT

Somethings not right with Franklin.

Well good to see you are starting to walk back your dumb comment. I guess you aren’t tough enough to stand your ground. He clearly stated that he was very blessed to be in a situation to be able to protect his family. comparing his situation to the military is not a fair comparison. You know going into the service what the deal is. As a football coach, that is not something he signed up for. But he is doing his best, with his means to protect his daughters life.

I am not walking back anything. I said I want him here and am grateful at the job he has done, but I wonder if he is tough enough to handle situations that he can't control.

He is the one that brought up going from great to elite. To do that takes a coach that doesn't roam the sidelines looking like he just lost his puppy. People need to know if a coach isn't going to be worried about being away from loved ones while deciding if he should go for it on 4th down. Sorry also to bring up military but every soldier in every book written has stated that the minute they worry about missing family and home is the day they won't be going home.

I stand 100% behind my question asking if he is tough enough to handle this and continue taking a team from great to elite.

“The only current coaches that have been at their schools longer and have a better winning percentage than Franklin are Saban, Sweeney, Gary Patterson, David Shaw & Chip Kelly so he's in pretty good company.”

This tells you how awesome Chip Kelly did at Oregon, since he sucks at UCLA.
Ah damnit! It should have been Brian Kelly at ND. Mea culpa!!

Ah damnit! It should have been Brian Kelly at ND. Mea culpa!!
But it still makes a great point. What's the difference with the genius Chip Kelly in L.A.(7-17), a recruiting hotbed, and the genius Chip Kelly at Oregon? Nike recruiting?

Before he went to the NFL you all would have sold your soul to land him at PSU...except for the POS trolls here. Did he forget how to coach?

Last edited:
“The only current coaches that have been at their schools longer and have a better winning percentage than Franklin are Saban, Sweeney, Gary Patterson, David Shaw & Chip Kelly so he's in pretty good company.”

This tells you how awesome Chip Kelly did at Oregon, since he sucks at UCLA.

He has to mean Brian Kelly, right?

Who was the coach for Houston who gave up football to buy a Chik-Fil-A franchise?

Or look at Craig Cirbus, who quit football to become a financial advisor. It happens.
to me the most obvious one is Joe Moglia- who I thought would have been a great coach for PSU when they hired BO'B. He had just retired from being CEO of TD-Ameri trade...before that he was DC at Dartmouth...

This is a stupid cheap shot. James is a family guy. If you have has a chance to be around him you will learn that. He admitted he is having a very hard time with out his family Around. He called them his fuel. He also knows he could be looking at nearly a year more of not seeing them until a vaccine is in place. Got give me this tough enough bullshit. Are you tough enough be be without your family for a year or more? He looking at a Lonely at the top situation and no support structure that he has relied upon for his career. Hell I now from many years coaching you need that support, someone on your side. I fully understand how tough it has got to be for him. He is looking at thanksgiving and Christmas without his family.

I thought he was honest and fair during the presser but he stated he was not going to throw people under the bus. He said they are having difficult conversations with players and coaches. This guy has not quit. I know him well enough to know that. Is he having a tough time and maybe a bit distracted. Yup. he talked to the team and staff about It.

What does this taken need? It needs a win. These players, who James loves, need to give to him like him give to them. Win a damn game for your coach.
I agree. Been saying that all along. People can decide how they feel about it but it’s a genuine struggle for him

Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
Franklin will be done coaching Penn State at the end of this season. He is laying the ground work (reasoning) now so that when he does resign in a month and a half, it does not come as a surprise. In addition, by laying the ground work now, other programs/future employers cannot assume that he bailed when the going got tough. I think it is clear that Franklin cannot handle the demands and stress of leading a Top 10 program. The first 4-5 years of his tenure was building and improving a program that was overcoming sanctions. Now it is trying to build a title contender and continue to play for New Year's Day bowl games year after year after year, and I think the stress and demands of leading a Top 10 program have inundated him to the point that he is in over his head and the team has lost focus and accountability.
Right now, CJF is probably at depth of his despair regarding his family situation. I would not be surprised if he has decided to resign after the game on 12/19, isolate for 2 weeks, and then head to FL to reunite with his family and worry about his next step in his career later.

However, he really needs to push through this period and have confidence things will be much better in early 2021. "Follow the science". I am very optimistic that Pfizer is going to start vaccinating tier 1 folks (healthcare workers) before the end of 2020. "But they won't be able to manufacture enough vaccines for the entire population for months after that - he might have to wait until next fall for his daughters to get vacinnated". Maybe not.

Certainly pfizer won't be able to manufacture enough for 300 million people in the first few months. But guess what - there will probably be at least 1 or 2 other manufacturers shortly behind pfizer that will be approved and ready to go. They won't have to start vacinnating the health care workers again, they will drop down the priority ladder of the population - elderly, those with health issues, etc. . This will continue through the first few months of 2021.

I am optimistic by the end of the 2nd qtr of 2021 ( if not sooner), that anybody that wants the vaccine will be able to get it.

So, by the start of fall practice next Aug, things will be close to back to normal. Hang in there coach, we support you!

Reactions: Omar81 and bison13
Right now, CJF is probably at depth of his despair regarding his family situation. I would not be surprised if he has decided to resign after the game on 12/19, isolate for 2 weeks, and then head to FL to reunite with his family and worry about his next step in his career later.

However, he really needs to push through this period and have confidence things will be much better in early 2021. "Follow the science". I am very optimistic that Pfizer is going to start vaccinating tier 1 folks (healthcare workers) before the end of 2020. "But they won't be able to manufacture enough vaccines for the entire population for months after that - he might have to wait until next fall for his daughters to get vacinnated". Maybe not.

Certainly pfizer won't be able to manufacture enough for 300 million people in the first few months. But guess what - there will probably be at least 1 or 2 other manufacturers shortly behind pfizer that will be approved and ready to go. They won't have to start vacinnating the health care workers again, they will drop down the priority ladder of the population - elderly, those with health issues, etc. . This will continue through the first few months of 2021.

I am optimistic by the end of the 2nd qtr of 2021 ( if not sooner), that anybody that wants the vaccine will be able to get it.

So, by the start of fall practice next Aug, things will be close to back to normal. Hang in there coach, we support you!
You have no reason to think this and idle speculation about his personal life isn't appropriate for this forum. Criticize him for recruiting/development/game management etc, but speculation about his wife and kids is bad form.

There's a place for this and it's not here.

I have multiple family and friends in the healthcare industry who are studying/addressing the impact of COVID-19. You are correct that the distribution of a vaccine will occur on a Tiered/Risk-based approach. The current assumption is that a COVID-19 vaccine will be distributed to the general American population during the summer of 2021 (July is the month typically named). As of now, this plan is on track. You are right, even though Pfizer has announced positive results and production has already started, many of us will still be impacted by COVID-19 for most of 2021.

Push through? People in a depression do not push through unless they get help. Send him on sabbatical now. Who cares about the season at this point. The man needs support and assistance. After that presser, the Barron and Barber better have him working on flights to Destin!

I thought the questions at today's meeting with the media were better than usual. But, I didn't hear anything that would make me confident about Saturday.

He talked about Friermouth deciding to stay and not opt-out even though 0-3. I would be shocked if Franklin resigned during the season. He has always been about using football for life lessons. He did say he was having a rough time, and that a recent conversation with his wife helped. He looked tired and beat down at the press conference. He is 0-3 with a team not playing well that has a lot of problems compounding with other things.

to me the most obvious one is Joe Moglia- who I thought would have been a great coach for PSU when they hired BO'B. He had just retired from being CEO of TD-Ameri trade...before that he was DC at Dartmouth...

“Oh, well, I really think I'm falling for you...Joseph Moglia...”

”Delores!”

Franklin is an emotional guy. He's had mostly highs since being our coach, so it's not a surprise that he was full of positivity and energy. Now he's coming of what I consider to be the worst loss since he's been our coach, an 0-3 start and a slew of unforseen off the field nonsense with COVID that nobody could anticipate. I'm not surprised this might have an effect on him. Emotional people tend to get impacted more, the highs are really high and the lows hit really low. This doesn't necessarily mean he needs to go, it's just a personality trait that he needs to figure our how to manage. If he decides that he can't manage it, a personal decision, then I'd agree that he needs to go.

I watched part of Franklin’s press conference from this afternoon using the video link above the McAndrew Board. Franklin seemed far more engaged than he’s been much of this season. He seemed into it. That said, we rarely will direct answers from Franklin regarding issues on the team. Franklin is very protective of his players and coaches. Still, I was encouraged by his engagement today.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
He talked about Friermouth deciding to stay and not opt-out even though 0-3. I would be shocked if Franklin resigned during the season. He has always been about using football for life lessons. He did say he was having a rough time, and that a recent conversation with his wife helped. He looked tired and beat down at the press conference. He is 0-3 with a team not playing well that has a lot of problems compounding with other things.

Perception is the key I guess....problem is everyone sees things differently. I actually thought he seemed a little more upbeat after he said he was having trouble without the family.

You have no reason to think this and idle speculation about his personal life isn't appropriate for this forum. Criticize him for recruiting/development/game management etc, but speculation about his wife and kids is bad form.
"Idle speculation ...personal life ... " Did you watch his press conference?

He spoke very openly about the struggles he is having being separated from his family. I am not criticizing him in the slightest. I just happen to have an opinion and my opinion is that he is going to put his family first and leave his job at the end of the year. There are a lot of people who walk away from careers due to the hardship it places on their family life. He wouldn't be the first .. or last.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
the sad thing is, as someone else mentioned on another message board, is that for the last few years he never put the rumors to bed right away about his name and other jobs. In fact he played the game well to gain leverage and actually get raises each time. He played the game like a true professional because that is what he preached. Now, he is faced with adversity and he can't get his job done because of it. Again, if Noah Cain was homesick and it was affecting his schoolwork or on field play, what would happen to him? I think we all know that answer.

Reactions: Sharkies

You're assuming everyone's equal here. People in positions of influence can magically jump lists. It's called politics.

You're assuming everyone's equal here. People in positions of influence can magically jump lists. It's called politics.

I thought that same thing. I am sure he has some big boy or girl friends that could jump him up the list pretty quickly. And I hope he does, I hate it that a child is invloved.

1. Everything that is happening is too much for a college kid.
2. The fluke loss to Indiana led to a ton of finger pointing throughout the lockerroom.
3. Getting taken behind the shed vs Ohio State was demoralizing.
4. So the team already hates life and now has to play a team they have slept through for years now.
5. Only thing that would stop that from happening is a focused coaching staff that can keep the Maryland,Maryland, Maryland one game at a time.
6. Said Leader of Coaching staff announces he is going through depression as he misses his family.

I feel for JFF and am glad he came out and discussed what is bothering him, he is truly sacrificing to coach this team. But you know what.....the kids he is leading are sacrificing as well. Some are sacrificing already getting paid, some are sacrificing time away from their own family every single day because, you know, they went away to college, some are sacrificing not being able to bang the co-ed after a Saturday night win, some are sacrificing time with others, some are sacrificing a normal college life.....name of the game is everyone in 2020 is sacrificing.

Isn't sacrifice one of the core values of the program?

Reactions: trz103
1. Everything that is happening is too much for a college kid.
2. The fluke loss to Indiana led to a ton of finger pointing throughout the lockerroom.
3. Getting taken behind the shed vs Ohio State was demoralizing.
4. So the team already hates life and now has to play a team they have slept through for years now.
5. Only thing that would stop that from happening is a focused coaching staff that can keep the Maryland,Maryland, Maryland one game at a time.
6. Said Leader of Coaching staff announces he is going through depression as he misses his family.

I feel for JFF and am glad he came out and discussed what is bothering him, he is truly sacrificing to coach this team. But you know what.....the kids he is leading are sacrificing as well. Some are sacrificing already getting paid, some are sacrificing time away from their own family every single day because, you know, they went away to college, some are sacrificing not being able to bang the co-ed after a Saturday night win, some are sacrificing time with others, some are sacrificing a normal college life.....name of the game is everyone in 2020 is sacrificing.

Isn't sacrifice one of the core values of the program?
Who are you responding to? You posted the same damn thing 10 different times with different language. We get your point of view. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: 81b&w
Having just listened to CJFs press conference I think I know what's wrong with the team. There was a heavy political influence going on with him, and IMO it was a distraction.
Well, my wife and I just finished listening to the presser (first one since the JoePa days when I concluded it was worthless to listen to them) and I disagree with your conclusion, in part. I do not believe it was "heavy" political influence, but if you read between the lines it appears that politics have been involved, but is only part of the picture.

Basically CJF said there have been a lot of factors this year and if you are not careful they become distractions. A lot of time and energy has been spent on dealing with things away from football. That is telling, at least to me. Obviously dealing with Covid as well as what has been going on in politics in this country are probably the two biggest things, but there are likely some others (player drug busts, etc.). He bails himself out of this topic by stating that this press conference is really about playing football - that is End of Discussion. Later on when the last reporter asked a directly political question, Franklin stated he was very active himself helping to get people active in politics. So yes, there has been the influence of politics upon the team, some of it brought upon the team by Franklin himself. Maybe not a heavy amount, but at least a moderate amount.

CJF did say that locker room culture this year is part of the problem sort of in a back door way. He said when they were successful in the past that part of the success was locker room culture, but you can't say that when there is lack of success that the culture doesn't play into it.

One of the things that stood out with us is that he said "he leads with love." As soon as my wife heard this, she said "what is he, a late 60's hippy flower child? He needs to stop smoking the doobies." I started laughing, but it is true in some sense. He sounds more like a pre-school or kindergarden teacher than a college head football coach.

A thing that also stuck out to me is that he harped on the "two biggest statistics" important to winning football games. 1 - Turnovers, and 2 - Explosive Plays. Well to many, that is part of the statistical factors that determine the outcome of a game, but not the most important ones. A lot of games can be won being behind in the turnover category or being burned on an explosive play, and the good teams overcome those problems.

My conclusions:

1. There has been a lot of time spent on dealing with things away from football. Some of this has to do with politics as Franklin stated he had been very active himself in this fashion. IMO, this does not belong in the locker room and can be divisive.

2. There is a locker room culture problem which has affected the football team's performance.

3. Franklin is more on the spectrum of a kindergarden teacher type coach rather than a kick'em in the a$$ coach.

4. CJF hones in on 2 statistics that he believes are the most important ones - Turnovers and Explosive plays.

Well, my wife and I just finished listening to the presser (first one since the JoePa days when I concluded it was worthless to listen to them) and I disagree with your conclusion, in part. I do not believe it was "heavy" political influence, but if you read between the lines it appears that politics have been involved, but is only part of the picture.

Basically CJF said there have been a lot of factors this year and if you are not careful they become distractions. A lot of time and energy has been spent on dealing with things away from football. That is telling, at least to me. Obviously dealing with Covid as well as what has been going on in politics in this country are probably the two biggest things, but there are likely some others (player drug busts, etc.). He bails himself out of this topic by stating that this press conference is really about playing football - that is End of Discussion. Later on when the last reporter asked a directly political question, Franklin stated he was very active himself helping to get people active in politics. So yes, there has been the influence of politics upon the team, some of it brought upon the team by Franklin himself. Maybe not a heavy amount, but at least a moderate amount.

CJF did say that locker room culture this year is part of the problem sort of in a back door way. He said when they were successful in the past that part of the success was locker room culture, but you can't say that when there is lack of success that the culture doesn't play into it.

One of the things that stood out with us is that he said "he leads with love." As soon as my wife heard this, she said "what is he, a late 60's hippy flower child? He needs to stop smoking the doobies." I started laughing, but it is true in some sense. He sounds more like a pre-school or kindergarden teacher than a college head football coach.

A thing that also stuck out to me is that he harped on the "two biggest statistics" important to winning football games. 1 - Turnovers, and 2 - Explosive Plays. Well to many, that is part of the statistical factors that determine the outcome of a game, but not the most important ones. A lot of games can be won being behind in the turnover category or being burned on an explosive play, and the good teams overcome those problems.

My conclusions:

1. There has been a lot of time spent on dealing with things away from football. Some of this has to do with politics as Franklin stated he had been very active himself in this fashion. IMO, this does not belong in the locker room and can be divisive.

2. There is a locker room culture problem which has affected the football team's performance.

3. Franklin is more on the spectrum of a kindergarden teacher type coach rather than a kick'em in the a$$ coach.

4. CJF hones in on 2 statistics that he believes are the most important ones - Turnovers and Explosive plays.
Obviously you haven't watched much of CJF if #3 and #4 are just now news to you. He has 3 key stats he talks about for every game for several years now... turnovers, explosive plays and penalties. He mentions them just about every week and talks about whether or not PSU did better than the opponent in those categories. And he's been saying the love stuff forever too. He breaks practice huddles and meetings by saying "it always starts and ends with 'I love you'." This is just his style, he really emphasizes the family aspect of the team. Kick them in the ass style coaches are getting more rare by the day, that style just doesn't fly with many of today's youths anymore.

I really do feel for CJF.

He's a damn good man. A fine representative of the university. And a wonderful role model. In that sense, he's one of the good guys in this sport.

He gets paid huge money to win, and he needs to find ways to do it. Even with the family distraction. But, he's also human. And being apart from his family is obviously very hard on him. It's easy to say, "but the military does it!". Hell, I have many deployments under my belt, and it still never got easier. I had some pretty bad days, and yet I knew exactly what I was getting in to. Now imagine how hard it is for those in professions in which this isn't expected.

So, I truly hope he turns this around. Not only for the team, but for him. I'm rooting for him.

All of that said.........we still have a problem with the game management. The clock management. The stupid 4th and short play calls. The same fundamental problems on both sides of the ball keep surfacing and resurfacing. And now, recruiting isn't where it needs to be. Many of these problems are not new, so the distractions don't account for them. And regardless.....he has other coaches on staff that need to step it the F up. It doesn't appear to be happening.

I hope he rights the ship. But this doesn't look good.

My conclusions:

Of course politics is involved, and nobody can tell me that there aren’t a few kids in the program that vote conservative but would never allude to it for fear of retaliation from the head coach and the group of SJW players on the team.

Obviously you haven't watched much of CJF if #3 and #4 are just now news to you. He has 3 key stats he talks about for every game for several years now... turnovers, explosive plays and penalties. He mentions them just about every week and talks about whether or not PSU did better than the opponent in those categories. And he's been saying the love stuff forever too. He breaks practice huddles and meetings by saying "it always starts and ends with 'I love you'." This is just his style, he really emphasizes the family aspect of the team. Kick them in the ass style coaches are getting more rare by the day, that style just doesn't fly with many of today's youths anymore.
Well if you did read what I wrote at the beginning of my post is that I haven’t seen a HC presser since the Paterno years. So thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Of course politics is involved, and nobody can tell me that there aren’t a few kids in the program that vote conservative but would never allude to it for fear of retaliation from the head coach and the group of SJW players on the team.
Link?

Good Lord.

Never underestimate the ability of people to create controversies without a single bit of evidence.

My conclusions:

your wife sounds like no fun, weed and love are both amazing.

Can you share what you heard from him that had led you to this conclusion?
It was toward the end of the presser, he mentioned the PSA he made asking that ppl vote. It sounded to me that he took a lot of blowback, and he was quite surprised and disappointed at the tone it took.

Reactions: Madsol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT