ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, but CJF is a perennial 9-3/10-2 coach!

unfortunately you’re right. We’ve had more talent under Franklin than under Paterno, but the results haven’t improved. We had an offense with Mike Gesicki, Saquon Barkley, Chris Godwin, Trace Mcsorley, DaeSean Hamilton, and Miles Sanders and Franklin still blew 2 games. That was Alabama level offensive talent and Franklin still blew effed it up
That offensive line certainly wasn't "Alabama level"...

...and they still had a case to be in the playoffs

Reactions: jp3272
The free transfer rule and portal have f@cked up college football. Coaches spent 3 years preparing Will Levis for that very situation we faced today. When he left for Kentucky in the off-season, what happened today became a succinct, if not likely, possibility. Sad.

That offensive line certainly wasn't "Alabama level"...

...and they still had a case to be in the playoffs
Give me a break. You want to give Franklin the 85 bears defense and a Tom Brady led offense and still you’ll say “well his fullback really was a sanctions era player, that’s why we lost”.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Give me a break. You want to give Franklin the 85 bears defense and a Tom Brady led offense and still you’ll say “well his fullback really was a sanctions era player, that’s why we lost”.
What a dope. The OL is slightly more important than a fullback.

Reactions: chuckrup
The OP may be right or wrong on how far Franklin will take them. But one thing is clear. We still don't have a deep enough team to win a CFG Championship. Injuries happen. You need quality backups who can step up and do the job. Our lack of depth was on full display tonight. A few weeks ago, an Villanova team score easy TDs on our defensive reserves. Now some may argue that the talent is there. So that begs the question as to why don't they play better. In addition, we have very mediocre running backs. None of them are explosive hard runners. So, bottom line, Franklin needs to continue to recruit hard. We need a string of top ten recruiting classes to obtain the debt needed to win a championship.

You are the one who called that offense Alabama level, not me. If you don't think the comparison fits on further reflection just say so. 🤷‍♂️

But I agree with you about the offensive skill players on that team...the skill players were at that level...but not the OL. Should they have not been in the playoffs as BIG champs and consistent improvement throughout the season? If Hamilton catches that ball in Pittsburgh and PSU only had 1 loss that year, would that make CJF a better coach? Not arguing, just pointing out how easily things can swing based on a single play...step one is being in the discussion and PSU has been almost every year since that turning point season.

Reactions: wlawn
Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.
He’ll never make the playoffs.
This program will never make the playoffs with him as coach.

Anyone care to disagree?
Perhaps.

But are you drawing that conclusion based upon today’s game. Team played great. Tough to win on road against a good team when you lose your staring QB. Can’t blame Franklin for that. We were dominating before Cliff went out.

The OP may be right or wrong on how far Franklin will take them. But one thing is clear. We still don't have a deep enough team to win a CFG Championship. Injuries happen. You need quality backups who can step up and do the job. Our lack of depth was on full display tonight. A few weeks ago, an Villanova team score easy TDs on our defensive reserves. Now some may argue that the talent is there. So that begs the question as to why don't they play better. In addition, we have very mediocre running backs. None of them are explosive hard runners. So, bottom line, Franklin needs to continue to recruit hard. We need a string of top ten recruiting classes to obtain the debt needed to win a championship.
Exactly right...next man up only works if the dropoff isn't SO MASSIVE that u have no shot vs a good football team. Our starting 22 are a very good group at most spots...the next 22 so to speak are very borderline at most positions.

Exactly right...next man up only works if the dropoff isn't SO MASSIVE that u have no shot vs a good football team. Our starting 22 are a very good group at most spots...the next 22 so to speak are very borderline at most positions.
We’ve been saying this for years despite franklins consistently good recruiting. Why are the backups so bad here and not elsewhere.

• Haha
The thing I don’t get about Franklin is that he carries on about the details being important. However, it’s the details in the heat of the moment when he’s at his worst. He puckers up in close games and just stands on the sidelines with his arms crossed. Dabo, Saban, Meyer - they are all chewing asses on the sidelines trying to find a way to win. Franklin just runs around trying to hug people or looks clueless. I mean - does the guy ever actually insert himself into the schemes?
I agree with you about the details. I believe our coaches rely too heavily on our talent and don't work on the fundamentals. Today is not a good measure of this, but in general we make a lot of mental errors. A good example is the poor blocking by many of our skill players. None of our running backs can block. Of our TEs, only Warren seems to be able to block. Blocking is a teachable skill. It is fundamental football. Some of our wr can block. But you have to wonder if they spend much time on practicing blocking.

Reactions: 84Lion
You are the one who called that offense Alabama level, not me. If you don't think the comparison fits on further reflection just say so. 🤷‍♂️

But I agree with you about the offensive skill players on that team...the skill players were at that level...but not the OL. Should they have not been in the playoffs as BIG champs and consistent improvement throughout the season? If Hamilton catches that ball in Pittsburgh and PSU only had 1 loss that year, would that make CJF a better coach? Not arguing, just pointing out how easily things can swing based on a single play...step one is being in the discussion and PSU has been almost every year since that turning point season.
Yeah the oline cost us the rose bowl against USC and the blown leads against OSU and making Don Brown look like a genius in Ann Arbor. That’s Franklin’s ass puckering Occam.

• Haha
We’ve been saying this for years despite franklins consistently good recruiting. Why are the backups so bad here and not elsewhere.
Could it be that when other teams significantly drop off in talent you attribute it to your guys just playing better because you don’t have intimate knowledge of that players role and abilities? There are actual Iowa people thinking their team won due to something other than the Qb injury. They actually needed the dt injury on top of that. But they just think their team started playing better.

Reactions: Cosmos
I get it though. It certainly feels like this will be yet another Franklin team that fails to get over the hump into the playoff. Just not sure if this team will ever be “elite” (Franklin’s words). If you are content with ****ing Bonnie Hunt every year, instead of Ava Addams, that’s kinda where we are at.

Laugh all you want. TR was a train wreck and pulling him would have destroyed him mentally. But by sticking with him we had ZERO chance to win unless our defense scored.
Couldn’t it also (and more likely) be that CV is even more of a train wreck? Now, not having a backup ready to execute fundamental offensive plays is on Franklin as well, but my hunch is his decision had precious little to do with TR’s feelings.

Slam me all you want to, but JF will always find a way to lose games he shouldn’t.

Anyone care to disagree?
I’m willing to say what the faithful won’t. He is an excellent recruiter and an average coach. He will always get us close because of the talent he brings in. He’ll most likely lose going against equal competition. If you don’t believe me? Look at his record. It’s a well established fact.

The thing I don’t get about Franklin is that he carries on about the details being important. However, it’s the details in the heat of the moment when he’s at his worst. He puckers up in close games and just stands on the sidelines with his arms crossed. Dabo, Saban, Meyer - they are all chewing asses on the sidelines trying to find a way to win. Franklin just runs around trying to hug people or looks clueless. I mean - does the guy ever actually insert himself into the schemes?
I know it was with a backup QB, but I would have thought the team would have been prepared and able to use silent counts much more than they were....it's even more painful when the usually clueless announcers are screaming for it for over a quarter of the game. It's just part of the college game in some of the venues this team will play in. For a few of their possessions, the team would have been better off field position wise punting on first down.

Anyone care to disagree?
You might be right, but I know 2 fanbases are dying to have him now as you can throw LSU into the mix..

I’m willing to say what the faithful won’t. He is an excellent recruiter and an average coach. He will always get us close because of the talent he brings in. He’ll most likely lose going against equal competition. If you don’t believe me? Look at his record. It’s a well established fact.
I've said the same thing myself for yrs now, I think the Yurchich addition has really helped though and we will never know, but I think PSU gets the W with SC at the helm..

I'm going to attempt to reply to this slug fest as objectively as I can! Firstly, all these coaches/staff/teams prepare for the season and games about 99% alike! Recruiting wise, perhaps 20% might see something good or bad in talent that the other 80% of the others don't. A loss manifests itself with all kinds of theories. Lets be real, most of the comments are, "we win if QB #1 plays the whole game." That is the real story and end of the story!

Reactions: A2Nit and Shadow99

Anyone care to disagree?
yes- but arguing with morons is a waste of effort

Reactions: A2Nit

Anyone care to disagree?

What a ridiculous take. You do realize we probably win that game comfortably if not for Clifford injury?

Reactions: PsuFsuBri36
Penn State has not been an elite tier 1 team for a long time. Penn State is in the second group of teams that might compete for a playoff spot once in a while. At first, it's hard to accept. I just had a flashback to being seated in WE in 1999 and watching that 4th down Minny pass fluttering in the air for an improbable completion. The symbolical death knell of PSU FB greatness. I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. Our freshman year was 1978. What a stretch. We were remembering some of the games where PSU just physically dominated and broke the other team. I know. Different game and there was 1979. Still. We were lucky.

Penn State has not been an elite tier 1 team for a long time. Penn State is in the second group of teams that might compete for a playoff spot once in a while. At first, it's hard to accept. I just had a flashback to being seated in WE in 1999 and watching that 4th down Minny pass fluttering in the air for an improbable completion. The symbolical death knell of PSU FB greatness. I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. Our freshman year was 1978. What a stretch. We were remembering some of the games where PSU just physically dominated and broke the other team. I know. Different game and there was 1979. Still. We were lucky.
many here remember a history that never was

I've said the same thing myself for yrs now, I think the Yurchich addition has really helped though and we will never know, but I think PSU gets the W with SC at the helm..
Agreed about the OC hire and SC still in there. My biggest complaint with this team over the last few years is the terrible Offensive line play. Inconsistent blocking, inability to open a hole in a critical time, rarely dominant to seal a game, and just thoroughly frustrating. I'm thankful I witnessed their last NC in Tempe in 1987, because I just dont see this guy putting it all together for another one.

Anyone care to disagree?
Yea it’s Franklin’s fault Clifford hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT