ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Interview post Silver

He gave the medal to his sister. I guess that's maybe better than the trash??
It's an improvement. IMO, Olympic silver is higher than an NCAA 1st place in the wrestling world. Just look at Gilman. Never won nationals but his bronze will live forever.

Brooks shot while ahead and was countered twice… lost.

Spencer tried to rely on push outs and lost the only scramble…. Lost.

Spencer is wired different and that’s ok.
hes-an-angry-elf-buddy.gif

I thought he wrestled pretty good but that there was a good chance Higuchi would be able to win at least 50% of any scrambles they got in, and the way he wrestled suggests he felt that too, which is why he didn't initiate as much action. They were pretty evenly skilled and I'd like to have seen them just let it fly.

It's not a great idea to psychoanalyze post-match interview statements, but I do think he'd be happier/healthier if he was more honest with himself, instead of telling himself that he didn't wrestle well and would have won if he'd only done x. He did wrestle well, though not good enough to get past this opponent. Build on that, no need to tear it down and start over. He's right there and he's one of the best in the world.

I'd bet Spencer is going to just love life if he ever gets away from wrestling. I know some may feel that's a shitty thing for me to say right now but my God I couldn't imagine the pressure he must have felt pretty much his entire life. There's a reason Cael preaches to his kids that it's just a sport and there's so much more important things in life.

Dake thought his defense could not be beat, that he could scramble out of anything...and lost.
Kyle Dake never crapped on his hardware.

Spencer is a classic Gen Z wuss.

Gave away his medal to his sister and doesn't know where it is. Don't know if he will do this again.

Can't accept the possibility that someone is better than him.

He will be great in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAgeologist and Ski

Spencer is a classic Gen x wuss.

Gave away his medal to his sister and doesn't know where it is. Don't know if he will do this again.

He isn't close to Gem X by age or action.

Spencer is a classic Gen x wuss.

Well hey, I can’t accept the possibility that someone else might be better looking than me but that’s because nobody is! 😆

I'd bet Spencer is going to just love life if he ever gets away from wrestling. I know some may feel that's a shitty thing for me to say right now but my God I couldn't imagine the pressure he must have felt pretty much his entire life. There's a reason Cael preaches to his kids that it's just a sport and there's so much more important things in life.
It’s quite apparent that Spencer needed a Cael in his life to give him some perspective on what’s important. This obsession with being the GOAT has kept Spencer from actually enjoying the sport that has defined his life.

On one hand I love that he is a winner and hates to lose. Most champions are wired that way. But he is wired a bit too tight. If he gave his best effort, which I'm sure he did, he should show a bit more gratitude. Being an Olympian, winning a silver medal, and enjoying the Olympic experience. Learning to give his opponent some credit and praise would be a good start. I almost feel sorry for him that he didn't learn those lessons earlier in life. Those are life lessons most of us learned, that sometimes as hard as you try, you don't always win...and life is still really good. Why do I think this is one young man who no matter what he does in life will always be bitter about something. As much as I love wrestling, there are many more important things in life than this sport.

I think you're spot on with your analysis.

I loved how AB took his time getting to the middle before his first match. He was soaking in the atmosphere and enjoying being there.

I hope Spencer can get some good self introspection going and come back for LA.

I fully expect AB to be there to get his gold.

Spencer is having a hard time realizing he didn't reach the Gold Medal level of Coach Tom or Coach Terry.
I don’t think Terry won gold at the Olympics. He may have won a gold at the World Championships. Tom won gold in 1996.

Reactions: ccdiver
I agree with this. Spencer is a great wrestler but comes off so ungrateful and always so uptight. Spencer needed Cael & Company in his life. That is one of many areas they could have helped him with.

It’s quite apparent that Spencer needed a Cael in his life to give him some perspective on what’s important. This obsession with being the GOAT has kept Spencer from actually enjoying the sport that has defined his life.
This is spot on!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
On one hand I love that he is a winner and hates to lose. Most champions are wired that way. But he is wired a bit too tight. If he gave his best effort, which I'm sure he did, he should show a bit more gratitude. Being an Olympian, winning a silver medal, and enjoying the Olympic experience. Learning to give his opponent some credit and praise would be a good start. I almost feel sorry for him that he didn't learn those lessons earlier in life. Those are life lessons most of us learned, that sometimes as hard as you try, you don't always win...and life is still really good. Why do I think this is one young man who no matter what he does in life will always be bitter about something. As much as I love wrestling, there are many more important things in life than this sport.

We will never know, but I found myself wondering if LLLLLLee would have wrestled for bronze if he had lost in the semis.

Holy F&&k. This is a horrible thread. Give Spencer his dues and stfu. He's an American, a Pennsylvanian. Wtf with the bullsh&t comments. Y'all make us look like a$$holes. For God's sake, he's a Silver Medalist.
Who isn’t giving Spencer his due? Everyone agrees he is an awesome, amazing wrestler. Being an Olympic Silver Medalist is also awesome and amazing. It’s just too bad that Spencer doesn’t think so.

By publicly shitting on his own Silver medal, he is de facto disrespecting all other non-Gold Olympians as well. That’s what’s pathetic.

But for an illogical rule that doesn’t reward pushing out a kneeling opponent, Spencer wins gold. It’s easy, even funny, to ridicule the post-loss actions of the ever-bitter Lee. We all wish the tormented young fella could appreciate his amazing successes, even in defeat (see thankful Helen and cheerful, lighthearted AB). Until he learns to, it’s comforting to know many of our virtual selves would’ve handled the loss far better in the fantasy that has us competing at his level. For now, pending what we hope is Snyder’s gold, let’s leave it at Spencer’s silver being our men’s team’s best showing, bitterness and all.

Holy F&&k. This is a horrible thread. Give Spencer his dues and stfu. He's an American, a Pennsylvanian. Wtf with the bullsh&t comments. Y'all make us look like a$$holes. For God's sake, he's a Silver Medalist.
Then shouldn’t he appreciate that? He crapped all over the medal he won and asked if anyone remembers silver medalists.

But for an illogical rule that doesn’t reward pushing out a kneeling opponent, Spencer wins gold.
But it is the rule. So why reward for an effort that doesn’t have a point associated. It was a good match and maybe a little more luck and he wins. It’s simple.

It’s his career consistent response that warrants criticism, and now he’s done it representing our country. Let see how Kyle Dake responds after losing twice….this time on a quest to win gold for his dad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT