ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

Since it is likely that both of those things will be happening a lot, they will have multiple opportunities to disparage them.

Reactions: Ski
UK got 37,000? Don't know what they usually get for their spring game, but that level of interest for them is interesting. So either Butch has had their expectations high for a while (and I just didn't notice), or they are climbing now and the results need to get in line soon.

That university has been willing to institutionalize corruption in order to win at all costs in basketball. It always mystified me why they would not attempt at least to try to be solid in football. It's like a mafia family who takes the time to be really good at running numbers but won't take the time to get good at prostitution too.

That university has been willing to institutionalize corruption in order to win at all costs in basketball. It always mystified me why they would not attempt at least to try to be solid in football. It's like a mafia family who takes the time to be really good at running numbers but won't take the time to get good at prostitution too.

What corruption? Just curious what facts you know.

Reactions: TheGLOV
What corruption? Just curious what facts you know.
Apocrypha is that the money changes hands, or used to, at Spindletop Hall on Iron Works Pike, not far from the Kentucky Horse Park. I've been by there many times but you can't see much from the road. It's quite a spread to say the least.

Do your own research. Start with the death penalty they got in the 1950s and then research John Calipari.

So there's either ancient history, I got nothing so go find something yourself.....

Apocrypha is that the money changes hands, or used to, at Spindletop Hall on Iron Works Pike, not far from the Kentucky Horse Park. I've been by there many times but you can't see much from the road. It's quite a spread to say the least.

...or just speculation.

Look, I'm all for bashing a program for stuff like the "academics" at UNC, the "shopping policy" for FSU football stars, and so on. But the only thing I've ever heard anybody say specifically about Calipari & UK has to do with one-and-dones. Which is permissible however much it might rankle some people.

As for money changing hands, if that's the case, they need a more competent bag man. Two trips to the championship game with a 1-1 record hardly seems worth the risk! Hell, UK is only 4-4 since Adolph Rupp won his last ring almost 60 years ago!

So there's either ancient history, I got nothing so go find something yourself.....

...or just speculation.

Look, I'm all for bashing a program for stuff like the "academics" at UNC, the "shopping policy" for FSU football stars, and so on. But the only thing I've ever heard anybody say specifically about Calipari & UK has to do with one-and-dones. Which is permissible however much it might rankle some people.

As for money changing hands, if that's the case, they need a more competent bag man. Two trips to the championship game with a 1-1 record hardly seems worth the risk! Hell, UK is only 4-4 since Adolph Rupp won his last ring almost 60 years ago!
I used the word apocrypha, not speculation. As for money changing hands, the name I last heard was John Wall. Have you spent any time in Lexington? Spoken to UK grads? They kid about it and Spindletop Hall is mentioned. Did you even look it up? It's quite impressive, spectacular even, not to mention a seductive setting -- all of which proves nothing and is why I used the word apocrypha. Money doesn't guarantee a NC.

Getting off topic here. Sorry. No more.

Last edited:
Nice block by Miranda on Givens.

Sure seems like he is going to be in the mix this year.

Well, I think they are keeping Mahon out of contact drills/scrimmaging. They have him at guard. Looks like the other guard is going to be Gonzalez, Menet, Nelson (when he is full go), and Miranda fighting it out. But there is no doubt that they love Miranda. With all the depth we have there, really hope he gets a redshirt though. He'll be a nightmare is he gets up to 315 next year.

Yeah, had the good fortune of checking out the place -- my brother married the daughter of a UK faculty member, and the reception was held at Spindletop

As to the UK basketball program -- to my knowledge, no violations reported under Calipari; they do have history of NCAA problems going back to Adolph Rupp days, and an instance where an air-express package being sent to a UK recruit popped open and was full of cash, that was back in the late 1980's

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/20/s...-program-and-2-players-heavily-penalized.html

The recent 30/30 documentary on John Calipari was very well done, and interesting. The 30/30 pieces are the best part of ESPN

Yeah, had the good fortune of checking out the place -- my brother married the daughter of a UK faculty member, and the reception was held at Spindletop

As to the UK basketball program -- to my knowledge, no violations reported under Calipari; they do have history of NCAA problems going back to Adolph Rupp days, and an instance where an air-express package being sent to a UK recruit popped open and was full of cash, that was back in the late 1980's

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/20/s...-program-and-2-players-heavily-penalized.html

The recent 30/30 documentary on John Calipari was very well done, and interesting. The 30/30 pieces are the best part of ESPN
This is what I know about UK basketball, football. My HS FB teammate was a scholarship OT for 3 yrs at UK in the early 70's. He was a starter. Biggest human being I've ever been around, and I've been around a bunch. No one, repeat no one above the Mason Dixon line would look at him academically. He had poor grades, no SAT's scores and was in Vo-Tech for car repairs I believe. Good guy, we were in boy scouts together. UK was like meh, academics? No problem. He told me he had a sponsor who bought him clothes and a car (Chevy Cheville? ) his tutors did his work, and he played football.
My sister in law was a teacher at Sam Bowies HS, she said after Sam signed, his mom had a new Cadillac, everybody knew it came from UK that's why he signed.
Mummy Dummy sent some kids tape back with a wad of cash in it, that was well known. As you pointed out, hoops did it as well.

Do I think they've changed? No not really. Hoops? with all the one and dones, maybe UK doesn't have to pay them anymore, the agents do, sent them there, knowing they will be looked after, athletically and academically, they turn pro, and a new set arrives on campus. too much work for the NCAA to follow anything, unless of course a package with a bunch of money falls into their laps.

Reactions: TheGLOV
This is what I know about UK basketball, football. My HS FB teammate was a scholarship OT for 3 yrs at UK in the early 70's. He was a starter. Biggest human being I've ever been around, and I've been around a bunch. No one, repeat no one above the Mason Dixon line would look at him academically. He had poor grades, no SAT's scores and was in Vo-Tech for car repairs I believe. Good guy, we were in boy scouts together. UK was like meh, academics? No problem. He told me he had a sponsor who bought him clothes and a car (Chevy Cheville? ) his tutors did his work, and he played football.
My sister in law was a teacher at Sam Bowies HS, she said after Sam signed, his mom had a new Cadillac, everybody knew it came from UK that's why he signed.
Mummy Dummy sent some kids tape back with a wad of cash in it, that was well known. As you pointed out, hoops did it as well.

Do I think they've changed? No not really. Hoops? with all the one and dones, maybe UK doesn't have to pay them anymore, the agents do, sent them there, knowing they will be looked after, athletically and academically, they turn pro, and a new set arrives on campus. too much work for the NCAA to follow anything, unless of course a package with a bunch of money falls into their laps.
Derrick Ramsey and Art Still, two great FB players at Camden High in NJ went to UK. Camden High basketball coach Clarence Turner sent his basketball players to Louisville, some great ones like Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson and Kevin Walls. Why Ramsey and Still chose UK I don't know, but I'm certainly suspicious. Ramsey went on to play with the Raiders and spent many years in the NFL. Art Still was an AA and the second overall pick in the draft. He was All Pro 3 or 4 times. These are two great football players. Why UK of all places. Something about Camden High and the state of Kentucky.:cool:

No coincidence, Valerie Still, Art's younger sister, went to UK for basketball. She's the all time leader scorer and rebounder in UK history among women and men.

Devon Still is their cousin.

Derrick Ramsey and Art Still, two great FB players at Camden High in NJ went to UK. Camden High basketball coach Clarence Turner sent his basketball players to Louisville, some great ones like Milt Wagner, Billy Thompson and Kevin Walls. Why Ramsey and Still chose UK I don't know, but I'm certainly suspicious. Ramsey went on to play with the Raiders and spent many years in the NFL. Art Still was an AA and the second overall pick in the draft. He was All Pro 3 or 4 times. These are two great football players. Why UK of all places. Something about Camden High and the state of Kentucky.:cool:

No coincidence, Valerie Still, Art's younger sister, went to UK for basketball. She's the all time leader scorer and rebounder in UK history among women and men.

Devon Still is their cousin.
didn't that UK team (Still, Ramsey) beat PSU at least once?

looks like they did, and cost us an undefeated season.

Last edited:
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch

Agreed, they pulled some crappy moves. But I tend to think they didn't do much differently re PSU than many other B1G programs during the down years of the sanctions. All took advantage.

But I'm amazed when I think of all the ways, the fallout from Sandusky, those sanctions, etc. v. PSU helped other FBS programs. Osu, Um, msu, Pitt, temple, ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT