ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

Penn State will most likely face six rookie starting QBs this season
It won’t hurt that, of the 10 Power Five opponents Penn State plays this season (including nine Big Ten teams and Pittsburgh), four are guaranteed to field quarterbacks who can be counted as rookie starters. Nathan Peterman (Pitt), C.J. Beathard (Iowa), Tommy Armstrong (Nebraska) and Hills (Maryland) are all graduated. Rutgers is probably going to replace second-half starter Giovanni Rescigno with a heralded freshman. And though senior Damion Terry is technically in the mix at Michigan State, he is a tenuous bet for November, too, with Brian Lewerke having looked good as the MSU spring game starter for the first-team offense.

Moreover, many of the names who remain aren’t exactly scary as passers. The best of the lot will probably be a pair of seniors who man the Lions’ most imposing East Division opponents – Michigan’s Wilton Speight and Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett. Speight was efficient if not flashy the first two months of the season before fading in November with a shoulder injury. Barrett, limited by OSU’s clunky offense and its underachieving receiving corps, never found much of a groove through the air. New coordinator Kevin Wilson should help.

Elsewhere, you have Indiana’s Richard Lagow being saddled with a new QB coach and a lifetime defensive coordinator as a new head coach in Tom Allen. Clayton Thorson is still trying to fulfill his potential at Northwestern. Rutgers has seen senior Chris Laviano transfer to San Diego State, sophomore Tylin Oden dismissed and very possibly will have switched out Rescigno for true freshman Johnathan Lewis by November when PSU hosts the Knights.

The other two opponents are minor-conference foes Akron and Georgia State, neither of which had accomplished passing attacks last season.

speightjpg-581e9a5787591b68.jpg

Last year's starter Wilton Speight (3) is frontrunner in Michigan quarterback competition.

lagowjpg-4cf1d719175a2f6b.jpg

Fifth-year senior Richard Lagow (21), here during Indiana spring practice, had turnover issues a year ago.

This article reminded me that Max Browne, ex-USC starting QB in early 2016, is Pitt's latest rent-a-QB for 2017.
No doubt my bias is showing, but I'm amazed that Pitt gets relatively good quality QB transfers. What he and they do with whatever talents he brings is another thing.
I remain highly confident of a solid win over them in week 2 regardless of who starts at QB. They have some talent, they will be ready to play, but the match-ups are overwhelmingly in our favor.

This article reminded me that Max Browne, ex-USC starting QB in early 2016, is Pitt's latest rent-a-QB for 2017.
No doubt my bias is showing, but I'm amazed that Pitt gets relatively good quality QB transfers. What he and they do with whatever talents he brings is another thing.
I remain highly confident of a solid win over them in week 2 regardless of who starts at QB. They have some talent, they will be ready to play, but the match-ups are overwhelmingly in our favor.

USC fans who know him well say two things...

1) He processes information VERY slowly...he is not quick picking up on reads and where to go with the ball.
2) He is unathletic. Doesn't move well in the pocket. Not a runner at all.

He's in a new offense, will be playing his second game. Assuming that PSU and Pry have figured out how to defend the sweeps that they shredded us with last year, would be nice to get Browne behind the chains and then let loose blitzes from everywhere against him.

1) He processes information VERY slowly...he is not quick picking up on reads and where to go with the ball.

He's in a new offense, will be playing his second game. Assuming that PSU and Pry have figured out how to defend the sweeps that they shredded us with last year, would be nice to get Browne behind the chains and then let loose blitzes from everywhere against him.

Right. I remember seeing the "highlights" of his early-season game vs. Bama, and other clips when he lost his job to Darnold. He's not elite. Maybe the Pitt scheme suits him better (what did they sell each other on for him to sign there?!)? In any event, I think Pitt needs to have Darnold or Trace at QB to beat us this Sept. And I agree our D will be far better at the same stage of the season this year, and ahead of their O.

I would make an early guess that they will have to throw to their RBs on swing routes on 1st downs enough times to not get behind the chains too often. They will need to occupy the LBs somehow.

The two NFL offensive linemen that are gone, and the NFL full back, that is gone, will probably play a larger role in that game, than anything else.

The job is to play better up front against the 3 remaining guys and their two additions, stop them in the middle of the field, and then pursue and make the tackle on Henderson.

The only player that can hurt us in Henderson. Take Henderson away, and it's over.

Right. I remember seeing the "highlights" of his early-season game vs. Bama, and other clips when he lost his job to Darnold. He's not elite. Maybe the Pitt scheme suits him better (what did they sell each other on for him to sign there?!)? In any event, I think Pitt needs to have Darnold or Trace at QB to beat us this Sept. And I agree our D will be far better at the same stage of the season this year, and ahead of their O.

I would make an early guess that they will have to throw to their RBs on swing routes on 1st downs enough times to not get behind the chains too often. They will need to occupy the LBs somehow.

They will not have time to go deep downfield. Count on that.

Any word on how Tommy Stevens looks versus Jake Zembiec ? I thought Stevens showed all the skills to be a successful QB in this system. Pretty shifty for a bigger guy.

JF has been alluding to the fact that Zembiec can't seem to get any bigger, no matter how hard he tries.

Any word on how Tommy Stevens looks versus Jake Zembiec ? I thought Stevens showed all the skills to be a successful QB in this system. Pretty shifty for a bigger guy.
I think Jake will need to be concerned with Clifford more than Stevens. Tommy has cemented his place as the backup.

Franklin has some very positive comments about Stevens, how he is getting bigger and stronger (up to approx. 230#) and doing good work on his mechanics to get more strength and velocity. As noted by lionlurker, Franklin indicates Jake Zembiec has so far not been able to get the gains in weight and strength the staff would like to see.

JF has been alluding to the fact that Zembiec can't seem to get any bigger, no matter how hard he tries.

I really had a feeling that Zembiec had and "it" factor and he'd eventually pressure Stevens for the back up. Is Zembiec really too small for the position? McSorely isn't exactly Cam Newton either, and relies on moxie and guile as opposed to pure athletic gifts. I wonder whether the size thing is the real issue or maybe Stevens is just clearly better?

The two NFL offensive linemen that are gone, and the NFL full back, that is gone, will probably play a larger role in that game, than anything else.

The job is to play better up front against the 3 remaining guys and their two additions, stop them in the middle of the field, and then pursue and make the tackle on Henderson.

The only player that can hurt us in Henderson. Take Henderson away, and it's over.

I certainly don't take Pitt for granted. PSU's defense has to replace 5 starters (Reid, Golden, Bell, Sickels, and Schwan) from a squad that was only 8th in the B1G last year. Pitt has to replace their starting QB Peterman but they're getting Browne who was the #2 QB prospect in the country back in 2013. That might actually be an improvement. The bigger question for Pitt is that they have to replace Bisnowaty & Johnson on the OL. Pitt still has play makers with guys like Henderson & Ollison.

The good news is that PSU's offense should be really good this year. This might be like 1994 when we had a great offense and a very average defense.

Browne didn't have many options. He didn't even know who the offensive coordinator was until a month after he enrolled. Peterman, on the other hand, turned himself into an NFL prospect. I don't see any way that they are improved at the QB position.

Both Penn State and pitt have new pieces on their respective defensive and offensive lines this year. pitt's veteran offensive line pushed Penn State around last year. I don't expect that to happen this year. If Penn State can control pitt's ground game, that of course will put more pressure on their new quarterback.

I certainly don't take Pitt for granted. PSU's defense has to replace 5 starters (Reid, Golden, Bell, Sickels, and Schwan) from a squad that was only 8th in the B1G last year. Pitt has to replace their starting QB Peterman but they're getting Browne who was the #2 QB prospect in the country back in 2013. That might actually be an improvement. The bigger question for Pitt is that they have to replace Bisnowaty & Johnson on the OL. Pitt still has play makers with guys like Henderson & Ollison.

The good news is that PSU's offense should be really good this year. This might be like 1994 when we had a great offense and a very average defense.

Pitt's defense has to replace 7 starters from one of the worst defenses in the NCAA last year. And Peterman led the ACC in passing efficiency last year. Word out of Pitt practices is Browne hasn't looked good.

I'm not going to sleep on Pitt. You have to go out and there and beat them. The ball can take funny bounces, never know what is going to happen.

With Elite 11 Sean Clifford and #1 overall Justin Fields coming in, writing is on the wall for Zembiec. He'll never play here.
I was going to like this, but there's nothing to like other than the fact that we're set at QB for a good while.

It must be hard to be the player in such a situation, knowing that he's going to be passed by. Hard. But it's a hard business.

I was going to like this, but there's nothing to like other than the fact that we're set at QB for a good while.

It must be hard to be the player in such a situation, knowing that he's going to be passed by. Hard. But it's a hard business.
I wouldn't be so sure. Nobody expected McGloin to start, let alone two years and have a good career in the NFL. The five star isn't here yet and kids get in trouble all the time. You keep grinding and wait for your opportunity

I'll be shocked if Pitt is able to keep the game competitive. Their team definitely lost a good bit of talent. While our talent is maturing on the field. Take Penn State and give the points.

I'll be shocked if Pitt is able to keep the game competitive. Their team definitely lost a good bit of talent. While our talent is maturing on the field. Take Penn State and give the points.

I agree ... Pitts only hope will be to pray that somehow that sieve of a defense can keep it close. If PSU gets out front like they should Pitt doesn't have the horses to catch up. PSU will win in a romp. I just don't see how the Pitt defense can keep it close losing 7 starters off the defense and having the same horrible defensive head coach calling the defensive schemes and plays. If PSU gets out front 14-0 21-7 in the first half this game it could get ugly quick. Franklin also doesn't seem to let his foot off the gas either. Pitt has to hope their defense keeps it close and they can somehow find a way to win late in the game via special teams or a freak play

I agree ... Pitts only hope will be to pray that somehow that sieve of a defense can keep it close. If PSU gets out front like they should Pitt doesn't have the horses to catch up. PSU will win in a romp. I just don't see how the Pitt defense can keep it close losing 7 starters off the defense and having the same horrible defensive head coach calling the defensive schemes and plays. If PSU gets out front 14-0 21-7 in the first half this game it could get ugly quick. Franklin also doesn't seem to let his foot off the gas either. Pitt has to hope their defense keeps it close and they can somehow find a way to win late in the game via special teams or a freak play
I'd love to see a Wade pick 6 and a Sanders rushing touchdown

On Pitt, they lost Dorian Johnson and Bisnowanty off the OL, but have some quality OL guys returning -- Brian O'Neill at T and Bookser at G got some All-Conference votes; it's possible Pitt will still have somewhat of a power running game, but the jet sweep stuff will not be a surprise to PSU. Their gameplan will have to be ball control, maybe some big plays on returns, and limit their mistakes.

That said, I don't see how they hold PSU under 30 points, and 40+ seems more likely IMO.

A very minor issue, but I think the 1994 defense gets a bad rap. PSU demolished most opponents that year, and was out to big leads in many of the games. As a result, Joe put the second and third teamers out there early, which helped make some final scores closer than they should have been (like the 35-29 Indiana final). The defense certainly was not as good (great) as the offense, but they came up big on the rare occasions it was needed (e.g., against Illinois) and did their share of the work in getting PSU out to those big leads in the first place.

I think losing 7 starters off of that awful defense may actually work in Pitt's favor . . . but I hope you're right.

How about this for a 2nd string offensive line in the fall:

LT Fries
LG CJ Thorpe
C Menet
RG Miranda
RT Jenkins/Gellerstadt

They LOVE Miranda for the amount of times that his name has been brought up by coaches and players. Getting time running with the ones as a true frosh. He's at 295, hopefully he can redshirt and get up over 310 for next year. Guard will be a battle between Menet, Miranda, Thorpe, Gonzalez in 2018.

A very minor issue, but I think the 1994 defense gets a bad rap. PSU demolished most opponents that year, and was out to big leads in many of the games. As a result, Joe put the second and third teamers out there early, which helped make some final scores closer than they should have been (like the 35-29 Indiana final). The defense certainly was not as good (great) as the offense, but they came up big on the rare occasions it was needed (e.g., against Illinois) and did their share of the work in getting PSU out to those big leads in the first place.
Might be mistaken, but thought I saw somewhere that PSU had an All-B1G performer in all 3 position groups on D in 1994. Who would they be, other than Phil Yeboah-Kodie? And who would you pick from each position group this year? I'll go with DL Curtis Cothran, LB Jason Cabinda, DB Marcus Allen. Playing it safe with seniors.

LT Fries
LG CJ Thorpe
C Menet
RG Miranda
RT Jenkins/Gellerstadt

They LOVE Miranda for the amount of times that his name has been brought up by coaches and players. Getting time running with the ones as a true frosh. He's at 295, hopefully he can redshirt and get up over 310 for next year. Guard will be a battle between Menet, Miranda, Thorpe, Gonzalez in 2018.
I think there is a real chance this is Bates last year with Penn State before the NFL and Menet could get a look at Tackle also in 2018

With Elite 11 Sean Clifford and #1 overall Justin Fields coming in, writing is on the wall for Zembiec. He'll never play here.
You can't say that for certain. Zembiec will have more than a year in this system on Clifford and Fields is not even a part of the roster and let's face it, may never be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm praying we sign Fields, he could be Franklin's most important recruit going forward, he's that good, but I'm slightly worried about a Brandon Wimbush episode and him succumbing to the pressure of staying in the SEC.

Might be mistaken, but thought I saw somewhere that PSU had an All-B1G performer in all 3 position groups on D in 1994. Who would they be, other than Phil Yeboah-Kodie? And who would you pick from each position group this year? I'll go with DL Curtis Cothran, LB Jason Cabinda, DB Marcus Allen. Playing it safe with seniors.
DL Phil Yeboah-Kodie, Penn State (AP-2)
DL Todd Atkins, Penn State (AP-2)
LB Brian Gelzheiser, Penn State (AP-2)
DB Brian Miller, Penn State (AP-1)
DB Tony Pittman, Penn State (AP-2)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_All-Big_Ten_Conference_football_team

Reactions: T J

LT Fries
LG CJ Thorpe
C Menet
RG Miranda
RT Jenkins/Gellerstadt

It sounds great on paper but we haven't seen any of them play.

I'm not sure what to make of the positive comments about Miranda and others. Coaches and players seldom make negative comments to the public.

It certainly appears like we'll be in the best shape we've been on the OL in quite some time. Maybe we'll see more running and fewer long passes. 3rd and 2 would be a lot better than 3rd and 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT