ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

Justin Shorter looks like a Beast out there. He's going to be a Great One.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The receiver corps looks outstanding and when considering the quality of the running back group will there be enough footballs spread around the offense to satisfy all the hungry young talents? Well there were last year and opposing defenses were not excited to defend our offensive thrust.

It's been so long since we have felt that electricity that pervades what appears to be an outstanding team, ready to achieve greatness. Whether that occurs is up to them and probably some peculiar bounces of the ball at critical times yet their skill is undeniable. I'll go on record as being excited for the 2017 season to begin. I'm very sure our first month won't be like last years first month of the season. Rankings will take care of themselves if we do our work successfully as the season progresses.

We are......

So MSU has their spring game today. Three players have been suspended and thrown out of campus housing. Not named yet. They are among this group.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
disagree to an extent...as Mark Rippetoe would prolly say....if you train for strength you have to use a barbell and you must use the big three lifts at a minimum....If you don't know who Mark Rippetoe is then you shouldn't even be commenting on strength training.

I'm not going to disparage Rippetoe. I actually like the guy, but to paint Mark as the end all be all is a joke and maybe it should be you who refrains from further discussion on the subject. He's a rockhound that found his passion elsewhere and chased his dream. Bully for him. That said, his credentials are suspect at best when trying to make any claims of his standing atop the mountain in this field. John Thomas was/is a very knowledgeable and capable trainer. He worked within the confines of what Joe asked him to do and his training methods are so beyond mis-characterized in this thread and the countless previous ones that it isn't even funny. Over 90% of the posts in this thread and the others contain "alternative facts" or complete bullshit. I'm not in agreement that what JT did was the optimal way to train, not even close, but most of the people that post on the subject here should be embarrassed.

I'm not going to disparage Rippetoe. I actually like the guy, but to paint Mark as the end all be all is a joke and maybe it should be you who refrains from further discussion on the subject. He's a rockhound that found his passion elsewhere and chased his dream. Bully for him. That said, his credentials are suspect at best when trying to make any claims of his standing atop the mountain in this field. John Thomas was/is a very knowledgeable and capable trainer. He worked within the confines of what Joe asked him to do and his training methods are so beyond mis-characterized in this thread and the countless previous ones that it isn't even funny. Over 90% of the posts in this thread and the others contain "alternative facts" or complete bullshit. I'm not in agreement that what JT did was the optimal way to train, not even close, but most of the people that post on the subject here should be embarrassed.
When it comes to Strength Training there is more than one way to "skin the cat." It's like a Lutheran claiming that Baptists are going to hell.

Reactions: Ski
Also, have been told by more than one (but it's only hearsay as I was not there) that JT told players not to take classes taught by Professor Zatsiorsky.

Prof Z knowledge dwarfed JTs and flew in his face as well

IMO JT was he 2nd biggest horse collar around this program the last 10 years of JVP

Edit.: 3rd biggest ^^

Great to see Miller looking big and tough. Our DE's have to be able to play well against the run in order to line up and play toe to toe with oh-high-ya and michigan.....

Miller was a pleasant surprise last year - looks huge now though. Simmons and Sickels look average by comparison.

Miller was a pleasant surprise last year - looks huge now though. Simmons and Sickels look average by comparison.
Agreed. Miller really impressed me last year. I look for him to have a big impact this season

Actually. There's isn't.

Squats
Deads
Cleans

If a football team isn't doing them the S&C coach should be fired. And JT didn't.

More alternative facts. JT did have them squatting and deadlifting. He did choose to have them use a diamond trap bar to unload the spine for these movements vs a traditional Oly bar. He did not have them doing cleans. These choices were not his. They were Joe's directives. Joe was presented with some evidence that the traditional squat was doing long term damage to the lumbar vertebrae, in particular L4 and L5 and that this particular injury had reached an epidemic on the high school level b/c of the lack of proper supervision. The kids were never instructed about pelvic tilt and swayback during the movement and this led to the injury. This was further reinforced for Joe when multiple freshman arrived with this injury. So again, JT was working within the confines that Joe placed on him.

Also, have been told by more than one (but it's only hearsay as I was not there) that JT told players not to take classes taught by Professor Zatsiorsky.

Prof Z knowledge dwarfed JTs and flew in his face as well

IMO JT was he 2nd biggest horse collar around this program the last 10 years of JVP

Edit.: 3rd biggest ^^

There is a long history there between JT, Dr Z, Willie Kraemer and Joe. Honestly, a large part of the issue was ego. If you are ever privileged enough to get some time with Bill Kraemer, he'd probably fill you in as he was never shy about the subject. Dr Yesalis could elaborate as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT