ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

The reports early on on JJ have me pretty excited. The dude is just a freak in terms of size and athleticism. Hopefully it all comes to together for him and Charles this year...it could be downright scary if they do.
MG had his problems with drops etc. as a soph. Reasonable to assume one of them will reach a comfort zone and make a similar break through. I also feel defenses will adapt and better defend our "big" play potential in the passing game. That will open up more opportunities for possession type receivers.

Northwestern and Indiana worry me. Indiana absolutely shut down our running game last year. At Northwestern a week before our bye is not going to be easy.

Northwestern and Indiana worry me. Indiana absolutely shut down our running game last year. At Northwestern a week before our bye is not going to be easy.

At Northwestern for sure. Indiana.... that game is at the Beav, plus Indiana is a little bt of a wild card with a new coach. To me Iowa at Kinnick is a bigger worry.

Reactions: Obliviax
At Northwestern for sure. Indiana.... that game is at the Beav, plus Indiana is a little bt of a wild card with a new coach. To me Iowa at Kinnick is a bigger worry.

Iowa loses their starting QB. When Penn State is solid along both lines of scrimmage, I don't think Iowa has the athletes to keep up with us. We held them to 30 yards rushing, I don't think the game in 2017 will look substantially different.

Road games in conference always tend to be tough for the most part. For some reason PSU tends to spot NW 20+ before they turn it around. At Iowa at night is a tough out no matter who is playing. Both are trap games IMO, but both can be won.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Road games in conference always tend to be tough for the most part. For some reason PSU tends to spot NW 20+ before they turn it around. At Iowa at night is a tough out no matter who is playing. Both are trap games IMO, but both can be won.
It will be interesting to see if our struggles with NW's offense were more of a Shoop thing. He had issues stopping them at Vandy as well. I tend to think that their coaches figured him out and Shoop was too stubborn to adjust.

Iowa loses their starting QB. When Penn State is solid along both lines of scrimmage, I don't think Iowa has the athletes to keep up with us. We held them to 30 yards rushing, I don't think the game in 2017 will look substantially different.

Iowa also loses Jaleel Johnson who was their best player, and their TE Kittel. They just didn't have enough outside speed last year. Still, Wadley is dangerous and he's back. If Ferentz can train up one of his vintage OLs they could be a problem on the strength of the OL alone.

Penn State is going to have better players and better depth than a lot of teams this year.

Still, just about all the away games are teams that could potentially beat PSU. Even Maryland. With all the talented freshman they're going to be playing this year -- they will be terrible initially but by late November, they might be very tough.

It will be interesting to see if our struggles with NW's offense were more of a Shoop thing. He had issues stopping them at Vandy as well. I tend to think that their coaches figured him out and Shoop was too stubborn to adjust.

Forget Shoop and the D...PSU has historically gotten off to slow starts at NW. Maybe that is more my perception, but this dates Franklin and OB. It just seems like PSU would be down 2 TD's before you would blink an eye. Some great comebacks occurred, but it just seemed that always is the case there.

Reactions: getmyjive11

Northwestern always feasted on Penn State's zone secondary with West Coast dink passing and wideouts who get yards after the catch. But now PSU has talent and experience in the secondary and can play more sophisticated coverages. And if PSU wants to play extra DBs, they have some tremendous cover corners they can put on the field. It will be fun to see what the coaching staff comes up with.

The other thing about NW that doesn't get enough attention is that they're usually physical up front. They were just too much physically for PSU two years ago. Hopefully that is rectified now. A lot will be depend on PSU's DEs. If PSU has an end who's too much for the NW tackles (i.e. Jack Crawford in 2009), that makes it a lot harder for them to run that west coast offense.

Forget Shoop and the D...PSU has historically gotten off to slow starts at NW. Maybe that is more my perception, but this dates Franklin and OB. It just seems like PSU would be down 2 TD's before you would blink an eye. Some great comebacks occurred, but it just seemed that always is the case there.

This is such a different team than what played NW two years ago. I don't think Northwestern will go up by two scores on us and I think our offense will score lots of points. This team is on a different level. NW loses their top receiver and with the increased speed on the defense, JJ can be stopped.

Northwestern always feasted on Penn State's zone secondary with West Coast dink passing and wideouts who get yards after the catch. But now PSU has talent and experience in the secondary and can play more sophisticated coverages. And if PSU wants to play extra DBs, they have some tremendous cover corners they can put on the field. It will be fun to see what the coaching staff comes up with.

The other thing about NW that doesn't get enough attention is that they're usually physical up front. They were just too much physically for PSU two years ago. Hopefully that is rectified now. A lot will be depend on PSU's DEs. If PSU has an end who's too much for the NW tackles (i.e. Jack Crawford in 2009), that makes it a lot harder for them to run that west coast offense.
Against Shoop they killed us in the seam. It was open all day long in both games and it drove me nuts.

Also, remember this PSU team is playing a sort of West Coast offense so the defense is going against that type of offense every day in practice. Not so much the case two years ago when they played them.

Reactions: 81b&w
This is such a different team than what played NW two years ago. I don't think Northwestern will go up by two scores on us and I think our offense will score lots of points. This team is on a different level. NW loses their top receiver and with the increased speed on the defense, JJ can be stopped.
This same team struggled against IU on the road. There will be a road game or two where this team struggles. It happens to pretty much every team sooner or later. Looking at the schedule you know OSU will be a battle...beyond that I would say Iowa and NW are the prime candidates for a tougher game. I hope they blow them both away, but part of me knows they will struggle somewhere.

Reactions: Bob78 and mn78psu83
This same team struggled against IU on the road. There will be a road game or two where this team struggles. It happens to pretty much every team sooner or later. Looking at the schedule you know OSU will be a battle...beyond that I would say Iowa and NW are the prime candidates for a tougher game. I hope they blow them both away, but part of me knows they will struggle somewhere.

Agree, it won't be easy, but they can definitely win all their road games. To win at OSU, they'll need to be darn near perfect.

Of course, the real killer in the schedule is the back to back to back games against OSU, Michigan and Michigan State.

Reactions: OhioLion
Yeah, in the Big Ten, where and when the game is played is every bit as important as the two teams playing. Timing is everything. You get a team on the rise, healthy, playing in front of their home fans - that is usually going to be a tough game.

There will be a road game or two where this team struggles. It happens to pretty much every team sooner or later.

Reactions: Bob78
Luckily, it looks like MSU might be imploding, if this spring is any indication.

Trace hurt his ankle (badly) early in the Indiana game and other than a scramble or two didn't attempt a run for the rest of the game. Without the threat of Trace running they just keyed on the running back. It was very similar to how the team played prior to half-time of the Minny game.

Reactions: Judge Smails

While I can't remember every game we've played @ NW since we joined the B1G, I think you may be right. Of the NW away games I can remember, none of them were easy, at least early on. In 2009, we won by 3 TDs but I think we score a couple of TDs late to stretch the lead. Maybe someone can chime in with a game @ NW where we were just in cruise control from the beginning. I don't remember the 1993 game but that might be the only one.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
We have two separate DE positions in our scheme, it isn't a balanced line. Toney will play the wDE role without any position flexibility between the 2. Simmons is more of the type of kid that could eventually slide to sDE but it's unlikely. A kid like Matos is going to be your true sDE type. This staff likes position flexibility whenever possible. That's why you will see many kids come in with two possible homes. Think Bucholtz flipping back and forth from DE to DT. All our LB's are cross trained at 2 different spots. Our 2 safety positions are basically interchangeable. We have the Star which is the transition position between LB and S. Many of our corners move to S. In this day and age when you are battling the 85 man limit, it only makes sense to try to maximize your chances with a system that emphasizes position flexibility. Toney might be one of the few exceptions that really only has one hole in the roster he can fill. I don't think he can ever get to the size needed for sDE and he doesn't have the ability to play in space.(IMO) I liken him to Wake in that sense except Wake had a little thicker frame.

I agree with your post, and I think that as the program goes forward, there will be fewer (zero) players who are limited to just one position. I wonder if a kid like Toney, with his quickness and athleticism, couldn't play a little TE?

Trace hurt his ankle (badly) early in the Indiana game and other than a scramble or two didn't attempt a run for the rest of the game. Without the threat of Trace running they just keyed on the running back. It was very similar to how the team played prior to half-time of the Minny game.
I read the first five words and almost shat myself...

Reactions: Pocono Lion
While I can't remember every game we've played @ NW since we joined the B1G, I think you may be right. Of the NW away games I can remember, none of them were easy, at least early on. In 2009, we won by 3 TDs but I think we score a couple of TDs late to stretch the lead. Maybe someone can chime in with a game @ NW where we were just in cruise control from the beginning. I don't remember the 1993 game but that might be the only one.

Blowout wins vs NW
1993 43-21
1994 45-17
1996 34-9
1998 41-10
2002 49-0
2006 33-7
2009 34-13

Since 2009 all games have been close games except when they waxed us 29-6 at home in 2014

Remember back in the day during DWill's freshman year when someone (to remain unnamed, but I remember who it was) posted, as a joke, that DWill had broken his leg during practice? The board really brought out the torches and pitchforks. Of course, two weeks later he broke his arm. I guess that if he hadn't broken his arm then that jokey post would have been forgotten......

Blowout wins vs NW
1993 43-21
1994 45-17
1996 34-9
1998 41-10
2002 49-0
2006 33-7
2009 34-13

Since 2009 all games have been close games except when they waxed us 29-6 at home in 2014

Pretty sure 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002 and 2006 were all home. The question was about games @ NW. So it would seem that your post would confirm the thought that most of our games @ NW have been struggles.

Pretty sure 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002 and 2006 were all home. The question was about games @ NW. So it would seem that your post would confirm the thought that most of our games @ NW have been struggles.

should have just posted the link earlier (btw this website is great)

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...9&end=2016&team1=PennState&team2=Northwestern

Opponent (record) Result Score Site
11/7/2015 @ *Northwestern (10-3) L 21 23
9/27/2014 vs. *Northwestern (5-7) L 6 29
10/6/2012 vs. *Northwestern (10-3) W 39 28
10/22/2011 @ *Northwestern (6-7) W 34 24
11/6/2010 vs. *Northwestern (7-6) W 35 21
10/31/2009 @ *Northwestern (8-5) W 34 13
9/30/2006 vs. *Northwestern (4-8) W 33 7
9/24/2005 @ *Northwestern (7-5) W 34 29
11/6/2004 vs. *Northwestern (6-6) L 7 14
11/8/2003 @ *Northwestern (6-7) L 7 17
10/19/2002 vs. *Northwestern (3-9) W 49 0
10/20/2001 @ *Northwestern (4-7) W 38 35
11/14/1998 vs. *Northwestern (3-9) W 41 10
11/1/1997 @ *Northwestern (5-7) W 30 27
11/2/1996 vs. *Northwestern (9-3) W 34 9
11/4/1995 @ *Northwestern (10-2) L 10 21
11/19/1994 vs. *Northwestern (3-7-1) W 45 17
11/20/1993 @ *Northwestern (2-9) W 43 21

Last season, PSU started diversifying it's offense. Teams that shut down our run increasingly found themselves unable to shut down our pass. Morehead is a smart guy, and I am sure there will be new wrinkles.

The only game where PSU will be an underdog is at Columbus. At Iowa, at NW, at MSU, at Md... they will be favored. They are clearly the hunted this year. Franklins coaching ability will be thoroughly tested as this team should be shooting for nothing less than the NC!

Remember back in the day during DWill's freshman year when someone (to remain unnamed, but I remember who it was) posted, as a joke, that DWill had broken his leg during practice? The board really brought out the torches and pitchforks. Of course, two weeks later he broke his arm. I guess that if he hadn't broken his arm then that jokey post would have been forgotten......
jokey post about injuries are never very funny, especially during the season. I half think there is karma attached.

That's back in the day already... it was my freshman year too
Yeah, and some day your freshman year is going to be 43 years in the past. Ah, the girls were beautiful then.

1970sgirls.jpg

Yeah, and some day your freshman year is going to be 43 years in the past. Ah, the girls were beautiful then.

1970sgirls.jpg
Jim, I see you're from Levittown. Were you around when they won the Little League WS in 1960 (I think)? My dad took me. The Levittown star was pitcher/SS Bobby Marmelo (sp?). I looked him up. I think he's a chiropractor in the Levittown area. Did you know him or of him?

Jim, I see you're from Levittown. Were you around when they won the Little League WS in 1960 (I think)? My dad took me. The Levittown star was pitcher/SS Bobby Marmelo (sp?). I looked him up. I think he's a chiropractor in the Levittown area. Did you know him or of him?
I was three back then. I was into chicks back then, not baseball.

Reactions: artsandletters
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT