ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

Northwestern always feasted on Penn State's zone secondary with West Coast dink passing and wideouts who get yards after the catch. But now PSU has talent and experience in the secondary and can play more sophisticated coverages. And if PSU wants to play extra DBs, they have some tremendous cover corners they can put on the field. It will be fun to see what the coaching staff comes up with.

The other thing about NW that doesn't get enough attention is that they're usually physical up front. They were just too much physically for PSU two years ago. Hopefully that is rectified now. A lot will be depend on PSU's DEs. If PSU has an end who's too much for the NW tackles (i.e. Jack Crawford in 2009), that makes it a lot harder for them to run that west coast offense.
Northwestern???

Northwestern has a lot of holes to fill this year not worried at all

Actually, they lose Carr but I think otherwise they return everybody of importance. They could be pretty rugged defensively, and Thorson is a very good athlete. He's kind of like Tommy Stevens -- a tall strong QB who can run well.

And the game's at Evanston. I would dearly love to see PSU go into Evanston and really spank them, which I don't think PSU has done since Fitz took over. NW usually has an ok-not-great secondary and if they don't get pressure from their DEs, they can't run with PSU's wideouts. So there is the potential, if PSU goes in sharp, with the right game plan, for this not to be a nailbiter.

But .... more likely it's tight, because it's Evanston, and a Pat Fitz defense usually finds a way to get the job done and his offense will be super aggressive. Maybe PSU is close or even behind at halftime. I'm sure Franklin will be happy to just get the W.

Actually, they lose Carr but I think otherwise they return everybody of importance. They could be pretty rugged defensively, and Thorson is a very good athlete. He's kind of like Tommy Stevens -- a tall strong QB who can run well.

And the game's at Evanston. I would dearly love to see PSU go into Evanston and really spank them, which I don't think PSU has done since Fitz took over. NW usually has an ok-not-great secondary and if they don't get pressure from their DEs, they can't run with PSU's wideouts. So there is the potential, if PSU goes in sharp, with the right game plan, for this not to be a nailbiter.

But .... more likely it's tight, because it's Evanston, and a Pat Fitz defense usually finds a way to get the job done and his offense will be super aggressive. Maybe PSU is close or even behind at halftime. I'm sure Franklin will be happy to just get the W.

Yeah, happily, I believe the days of worrying about a win over Northwestern are over. But, have to play the game, right?

NW will battle for the first half. They will not cut the grass all week trying to slow the Nits down. But no defense will keep these boys under 35 but maybe O$U in the shoe...

Brown leaves after 2018, but Miller is just a redshirt soph in 2017 with 3 more years of eligibility, just like Buchholz. But to be fresh in the 4th quarter CJF will play at least 4 DE's and more likely 5 or 6 when he has 5 or 6 good one's.

Hope you are correct about Simmons, but he really does not have a big frame for a DE and I will be surprised if he is a legit 260+ a year from now.

Well, obviously I was talking about Lirpaloof Miller, the former five-star just coming back from.......ah, forget it. I just goofed. Must have been having a senior moment (see what I did there?)!

NW will battle for the first half. They will not cut the grass all week trying to slow the Nits down. But no defense will keep these boys under 35 but maybe O$U in the shoe...

If they can fill Godwin's role, and the OL lives up to its promise, it could be flashes of 1994 this fall.

But still, I'd rather see PSU go to Evanston and just physically beat on them. Fitz's defense (and I respect this, to a point) uses intimidation, hits late, hits knees - they're dirty like Chicago street fighters. They skate the line of personal foul every single play. And I understand why they do it.

This year, finally, PSU should have the players to hit back. One of my favorite things about this team last year was how they beat up opponents in the 2nd half to the point where teams were removing hurt/exhausted players every few minutes or so. Penn State had more personal fouls last year than I ever remember -- and some of them were stupid, but some were the result of good old honest physical defense.

So I'd be very happy with a 24-10 kind of win where Northwestern, by midway through the 4th quarter, basically just wants the game to be over.

• Juwan Johnson has received great praise thus far in spring practices, and my expectations of him this season are simple: remain the starting mix and develop as a real red-zone threat. Beyond the departed Chris Godwin, Penn State wideouts accounted for only six touchdowns last year. The Lions have plenty to make up there, and standing at 6-foot-4, Johnson should get his shot.
  • I believe you'll see a small rotation at linebacker and offensive line from Penn State early in the season, which tightens as the weeks wear on. Yes, they boast greater depth up front and quality 'backer back-ups. But ideally you develop strong chemistry along the line with the same five players, and the Lions' starting linebackers seem pretty entrenched on the first team.
  • Keep an eye on Chasz Wright this season. His rise from spring 2016, when offensive line coach Matt Limegroverwasn't sure if he could use him, to starting the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl Game (albeit with some injury help) was really remarkable. If his growth continues at such a rapid rate, Penn State's offensive line could have two strong bookends.
  • On the open safety job: I like Nick Scott, but it's a real close call, and truthfully I don't have many concrete reasons for that. But I'm sticking to it. Also, I think Ayron Monroe's ceiling is likely highest and Troy Apke should be the most consistent. He or Scott would fight it out for highest floor.
  • When asked how I would defend Joe Moorhead's (RPO-heavy) offense with average cornerbacks, I offered two options: You play man-to-man anyways or do your best to pattern match. We'll get more into pattern matching this summer.
  • No updates on how men's basketball will fill its three scholarship vacancies.

Reactions: WeR0206
I just watched a video in which 247's Sean Fitz was asked to name two players, one from each side of the ball, who have stood out so far this spring. His response was Juwan J. and Christian C.

Saw that. Our secondary is deep, fast, and freaky athletic. If our front 4 can get any consistent push it's going to be very tough to move the ball on our D to keep pace with what the O will do.

Reactions: LionJim
Saw that. Our secondary is deep, fast, and freaky athletic. If our front 4 can get any consistent push it's going to be very tough to move the ball on our D to keep pace with what the O will do.

We will see how this unfolds.

If the defense is strong and stuffs the opposition, it returns the ball to the offenses. In the past, we've seen concerns that the offense doesn't get much time to recoup.​

It we are blessed to have a potent quick scoring offense and a stuffing stifling defense, at what point does time on the field become a factor for either the PSU offense and defense?

If the defense is strong and stuffs the opposition, it returns the ball to the offenses. In the past, we've seen concerns that the offense doesn't get much time to recoup.​

It we are blessed to have a potent quick scoring offense and a stuffing stifling defense, at what point does time on the field become a factor for either the PSU offense and defense?

This staff loves to get the depth PT and it's even more possible along the OL this year.

• Juwan Johnson has received great praise thus far in spring practices, and my expectations of him this season are simple: remain the starting mix and develop as a real red-zone threat. Beyond the departed Chris Godwin, Penn State wideouts accounted for only six touchdowns last year. The Lions have plenty to make up there, and standing at 6-foot-4, Johnson should get his shot.
  • I believe you'll see a small rotation at linebacker and offensive line from Penn State early in the season, which tightens as the weeks wear on. Yes, they boast greater depth up front and quality 'backer back-ups. But ideally you develop strong chemistry along the line with the same five players, and the Lions' starting linebackers seem pretty entrenched on the first team.
  • Keep an eye on Chasz Wright this season. His rise from spring 2016, when offensive line coach Matt Limegroverwasn't sure if he could use him, to starting the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl Game (albeit with some injury help) was really remarkable. If his growth continues at such a rapid rate, Penn State's offensive line could have two strong bookends.
  • On the open safety job: I like Nick Scott, but it's a real close call, and truthfully I don't have many concrete reasons for that. But I'm sticking to it. Also, I think Ayron Monroe's ceiling is likely highest and Troy Apke should be the most consistent. He or Scott would fight it out for highest floor.
  • When asked how I would defend Joe Moorhead's (RPO-heavy) offense with average cornerbacks, I offered two options: You play man-to-man anyways or do your best to pattern match. We'll get more into pattern matching this summer.
  • No updates on how men's basketball will fill its three scholarship vacancies.

Chasz Wright is really starting to make noise on the Oline and becoming an everyday starter. Sounds like he is making it very tough on the coaches to keep him off the field. Love the competition on the Oline along with the depth. Been so long since PSU has had that kind of luxury

Chasz Wright is really starting to make noise on the Oline and becoming an everyday starter. Sounds like he is making it very tough on the coaches to keep him off the field. Love the competition on the Oline along with the depth. Been so long since PSU has had that kind of luxury
He was a guard, only used as a tackle because of dire need. Is Wright a tackle now? RT, I mean.

Sorry. I think Judge answered my question above already. Wright is the RT.

Reactions: bwifan
I just watched a video in which 247's Sean Fitz was asked to name two players, one from each side of the ball, who have stood out so far this spring. His response was Juwan J. and Christian C.

Really bodes well. Having that long corner can take away what might have been considered one of this D's bigger weaknesses. This along with hopefully finding depth at LB and DE and this becomes a very well rounded D. (I'm not worried about S to be honest)

I've been around football all my life as a player/coach/fan and I can honestly say I've never, not even once heard an OC complain about getting the ball back too soon. It's not an issue. Fatigue factors more heavily on the one who is forced to react to a situation(the defense). Even if an offense is getting tired because they are getting the ball back constantly after only a few snaps, they are still fresher than the defense they are going to face. That would be the definition of first world problems right there.

The issue is the front 7, not just the front 4.
DT: 4 solid players with experience.
DE: Two new starters + 1st year backups.
LB: Cabinda, Bowen, and ???

I think we're going to have a very average defense in spite of a strong secondary. The offense should be great if the OL lives up to the hype. Probably more running and fewer long passes this year. Could be reminiscent of 1994. I just think the schedule will be too difficult to go undefeated.

If they remain healthy, the D will be even better in 2017. Older, stronger, wiser.... Sickkes, Schwan, Bell, Golden were valuable but will be replaced with better athletes.
Better athletes than Schwan and Sickles, yes, with Brown and Miller. Bell and Golden, I'm not so sure. Golden was the best tackler on that defense. I'm curious to see Buchholz's role with pass rushers like Simmons and Toney now available. He may see more action at DT, next to Givens in passing situations.

DE is the biggest question mark to me. Could be a weakness or a strength. Brown, Miller, Bucholtz all showed flashes last year, and now we get to see Simmons/Toney/Joseph. Not relying on any true freshman, which is good, but still it's two new starters and overall a group without a ton of experience. They could get fooled by stuff early. But once they get situated, PSU might get a better pass rush from the ends than they got last year.

I don't think people appreciate how good Golden was last year. I have a lot of confidence in Scott and Apke but I don't know that they'll be able to do everything Golden did.

If they remain healthy, the D will be even better in 2017. Older, stronger, wiser.... Sickkes, Schwan, Bell, Golden were valuable but will be replaced with better athletes.

Reactions: 83wuzme
DE is the biggest question mark to me. Could be a weakness or a strength. Brown, Miller, Bucholtz all showed flashes last year, and now we get to see Simmons/Toney/Joseph. Not relying on any true freshman, which is good, but still it's two new starters and overall a group without a ton of experience. They could get fooled by stuff early. But once they get situated, PSU might get a better pass rush from the ends than they got last year.

I don't think people appreciate how good Golden was last year. I have a lot of confidence in Scott and Apke but I don't know that they'll be able to do everything Golden did.
Agree Golden was underappreciated. He was a gamer.

Agree Golden was underappreciated. He was a gamer.

I thought Golden missed a ton of tackles through the year. Overall, yeah we was ok, but Penn State needs to generate way more turnovers on defense and they should be coming from the safeties much more than they do.

I thought Golden missed a ton of tackles through the year. Overall, yeah we was ok, but Penn State needs to generate way more turnovers on defense and they should be coming from the safeties much more than they do.

Yeah, 10 interceptions -- put PSU about 68th in the nation last year. That's on Marcus Allen's list -- if he wants to be a high round pick he needs to be stronger in pass defense, and I think he will be. That total was partly a reflection of the opposition last year though. Teams that are usually sources of interceptions, Purdue/Indiana/MD/Minnesota -- had experienced QBs last year and took pretty good care of the ball.

Yeah, 10 interceptions -- put PSU about 68th in the nation last year. That's on Marcus Allen's list -- if he wants to be a high round pick he needs to be stronger in pass defense, and I think he will be. That total was partly a reflection of the opposition last year though. Teams that are usually sources of interceptions, Purdue/Indiana/MD/Minnesota -- had experienced QBs last year and took pretty good care of the ball.
Agree. Pass defense is the biggest area for improvement IMO, which is partly the pass rush, but also on the secondary. Certainly, the Southern Cal QB had an exceptional game, but lesser programs also, such as those tboyer mentions, were able to move the ball steadily through some accurate passing and mediocre defensive coverage.

I'm looking for Nick Scott and Lamont Wade to be additions that can help, and hope to see improvement from Allen, plus other contributors.

The other factor that needs to be kept in mind is that LB was chaotic for most of last season, so the PSU secondary needed to emphasize run support even more than usual. The corners made tons of plays when teams ran wide, which is great. But in the future LB and DE will be making more of those tackles.

Anyway, if there's ever a year for a secondary to really improve, it's this year. The starters will be juniors and seniors, and experienced players are usually the ones who can bait QBs and jump routes.

It's looking more and more likely that true sophomore Connor McGovern is Penn State's starting center in 2017, assuming spring practice offers a pretty good glimpse of the program's future plans.

Speaking to the school's official website, returning quarterback Trace McSorley, the player arguably most affected by the quest to find a replacement for Brian Gaia in the middle of the Lions' line, said things are coming along for McGovern, who played guard in 2016.
"He has done a great job, having experience on the offensive line last year, he knows the plays, he knows how we're getting combos and working toward things and I think he'll get more and more comfortable conducting the offensive line from the center as he gets used to playing the position," McSorley said.
If McGovern does indeed lineup at center, then the guard spots will be up for grabs in a battle that will pit the likes of Steven Gonzalez, Michal Menet, Ryan Bates, Mike Miranda, and other in a race for the top two spots. Of course, Bates could slide out and start at tackle this season, which would make the battles for the interior spots are the more interesting.

This much is clear no matter: Penn State has good, legitimate competition in the trenches for the first time in some time.

Power success rate (118th)/ Stuff rate (119th)
The percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer; The percentage of runs where the runner is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Now if you watched just one Penn State game from start to finish last season, these rankings shouldn't surprise. Short-yardage was a Nittany Lion killer.

6_4936261.jpg

Barkley often found himself swarmed in the backfield in 2016. (Photo: Marc Lebryk, USA TODAY Sports)
I've conjoined these stats into one entry because of their similarity on the surface and their common culprit (a subpar, injury-riddled offensive line). Given the ongoing infusion of talent and experience up front, there's little reason to believe the Lions won't improve here in 2017. Yet given how poor they performed in these situations mere months ago, improvement doesn't necessarily mean they'll become above average over a single offseason.

DB Havoc rate (78th/128)
The percentage of plays in which a defense either recorded a tackle for loss, forced a fumble, or defensed a pass.

Of note: If QB hurries were a reliable stat (at the college level, there is far too much inconsistency in how they are recorded), they would be included here, too.

6_4972371.jpg

(Photo: Matthew OHaren, USA TODAY Sports)
I wrote about this particular area last month, citing the fact that Penn State cornerbacks have somehow only accounted for 11 interceptions the last two seasons. And as a whole, the Lions' secondary isn't much better when it comes to getting its hands on passes.

The good news for Penn State next season is blue and white defensive backs are plenty aware of their lack of disruption. Here's Marcus Allen from a week ago: "The secondary needs way more turnovers. We need to make a lot of plays, and that means we have to put in the work."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT