ADVERTISEMENT

St.. Joes Prep & PSU

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
I read Ohiiio State rc'vd a verbal this week from an SJP DL. What seems to be the problem with PSU recruiting their players? This was a problem even before NIL. Wasn't a former SJP coach on the PSU staff recently as an advisor? Puzzling to me.

Reactions: aworsnup and brupsu
It’s almost like osu is saying we can take anyone anywhere we want and you can’ do a dam thing about
PSU used to never get any Aliquippa kids, but that's changed recently under Franklin. A lot of it has to do with the influence of the coaches and their relationships with the staffs from the colleges.

Also, a lot of kids who attend that school have very little relationship or loyalty to PA.

I read Ohiiio State rc'vd a verbal this week from an SJP DL. What seems to be the problem with PSU recruiting their players? This was a problem even before NIL. Wasn't a former SJP coach on the PSU staff recently as an advisor? Puzzling to me.
Saint joes RB Isiah West also is going to OSU. John Reid was the last player from there.

No, predominantly NJ, PA and Mid-Atlantic. A niece & nephew of mine graduated from there about 8 yrs ago, they lived in South Jersey.
So that program has turned into a mini-version of IMG, in that the latter is national and the former is regional. Regardless, it appears as if both are something much different than the neighborhood high school.

I attended a Catholic high school and so did my siblings and neice and nephew, and I know that a lot of public school parents are upset at the recruting that is done by a lot of them. However, St. Joe's appears to be a Catholic school on steroids when it comes to this. They probably should not be competing against the vast majority of schools that they play during the season.

So that program has turned into a mini-version of IMG, in that the latter is national and the former is regional. Regardless, it appears as if both are something much different than the neighborhood high school.

I attended a Catholic high school and so did my siblings and neice and nephew, and I know that a lot of public school parents are upset at the recruting that is done by a lot of them. However, St. Joe's appears to be a Catholic school on steroids when it comes to this. They probably should not be competing against the vast majority of schools that they play during the season.
This kind of reminds me of Cincinnati Moeller (a Catholic school) during the 1970s. They recruited from all over and won quite a few national championships. Their games - even against the really good competition - was basically over by halftime

Moeller's HC - can't remember his name - was promoted directly to Notre Dame's HC which was a massive mistake. There's - obviously - a big difference between HS and CF

Last edited:
This kind of reminds me of Cincinnati Moeller (a Catholic school) during the 1970s. They recruited from all over and won quite a few national championships. Their games - even against the really good competition - was basically over by halftime

Moeller's HC - can't remember his name - was promoted directly to Notre Dame's HC which was a massive mistake. There's - obviously - a big difference between HS and CF
You’re talking about the legendary Gerry Faust who managed to coach ND into ineptitude. His last game Miami beat them 55 to 7 I believe. And with a minute or two left in the game Jimmy Johnson tried on sides kickoff, just to rub a little salt in the wound.

You’re talking about the legendary Gerry Faust who managed to coach ND into ineptitude. His last game Miami beat them 55 to 7 I believe. And with a minute or two left in the game Jimmy Johnson tried on sides kickoff, just to rub a little salt in the wound.
That's him - thanks

PSU used to never get any Aliquippa kids, but that's changed recently under Franklin. A lot of it has to do with the influence of the coaches and their relationships with the staffs from the colleges.

Also, a lot of kids who attend that school have very little relationship or loyalty to PA.
Maybe it's just that OSU is a better program then Penn State. I wish this board would stop making excuses ...... We're not the program we use to be ...............

Reactions: lion4ever76
Maybe it's just that OSU is a better program then Penn State. I wish this board would stop making excuses ...... We're not the program we use to be ...............
Who’s making excuses? I just pointed out that certain high schools have pipelines to certain schools, and I used Aliquippa as an example under their former long time coach.

You don’t have to be a college football expert to know that OSU is a better program than PSU right now, as it’s probably better than all but two or three if that. I also wish that people would stop acting like PSU is some rum dum program now, which it isn’t; it’s still a top 10 program, and that’s still true regardless of whether kids from one high school choose to go there or not. I’m sure that PSU has pipelines to certain high schools that other schools don’t.

Last edited:

When did that start? Was the program what it used to be after the Toledo loss?

You would lose that bet.

Can you even name a couple players who are not local?
Nope, I have no idea who is on the team now or who was there the last five years. I don’t follow recruiting much because it is mostly manly gossip. And it never mattered until they signed….. now even that doesn’t matter.

Only a couple impact players per recruiting cycle are worth getting excited about. The rest are hope and dreams. And with the portal it’s crazy.

And define ‘not local’. Many people posted that they recruit players from five or more states. That’s not local in my book.

Reactions: bison13
Seems like they ought to just drop St Joes Prep. Not worth getting played every time and losing. Kids get a boost if PSU is recruiting them. Why give them our stamp of approval. Better to just write it off as a lost cause and focus efforts and relationship time elsewhere. Like wasting sales resources on a company that will never buy from you.

Seems like they ought to just drop St Joes Prep. Not worth getting played every time and losing. Kids get a boost if PSU is recruiting them. Why give them our stamp of approval. Better to just write it off as a lost cause and focus efforts and relationship time elsewhere. Like wasting sales resources on a company that will never buy from you.
Though it's probably frustrating for the PSU coaching staff they have to maintain contact hoping for a breakthrough with a major recruit. It paid off with Aiquippa.

Maybe you should stop following recruiting. Do you expect psu to land all 380+ offered recruits? How many schools shutout psu?

I don't follow recruiting, and I know that Penn St gets no top players from St Joes Prep. Your 2 questions are stupid, and don't rate a response.

YES, live in the area and have heard they (OSU) are frequently around the program and it’s not that PSU isn’t, but not to the formers extent or viewed as favorably.

and YES, SJP is a Catholic school on steroids when it comes to football. It’s known in this area that they are a level above everyone in Southeast Pa which is some of the best large school football in the state and there’s a very big number of 6A schools (largest classification) in this area - public and private. Public schools don’t play them until they have to in state playoffs. They should not be in the PIAA.

John Reid

If you don't follow recruiting but then why do you care about psu recruiting SJP?
Of course I know Reid. He was in high school over 10 years ago and was recruited to Penn St by Bill O'Brien. Franklin can't recruit the school. He has struck out on every national caliber player from SJP. Why do you assume I care? I don't. I weighed in because I am familiar with the school, and it's clear there's an issue and Penn St is wasting its time.

YES, live in the area and have heard they (OSU) are frequently around the program and it’s not that PSU isn’t, but not to the formers extent or viewed as favorably.

Not the former extent or viewed as favorably?

Did joe ever get a starter from SJP? One backup. Mark arciadiacono

Of course I know Reid. He was in high school over 10 years ago and was recruited to Penn St by Bill O'Brien. Franklin can't recruit the school. He has struck out on every national caliber player from SJP. Why do you assume I care? I don't. I weighed in because I am familiar with the school, and it's clear there's an issue and Penn St is wasting its time.

Franklin signed Reid TWO years after O'Brien quit on psu. Reid was more productive than any player joe ever got from the prep.

You are so predictable. If they stopped recruiting SJP you would then complain they don't recruit there.

Is psu really wasting time recruiting SJP? Should they have stopped recruiting SJP before hey hot Reid? If psu coaches visit Imhotep, then visit Roman Catholic and they cross Girard Ave is it really a big waste of resources to drive that extra one minute and go to SJP on Girard? The real waste of resources would be to not stop at SJP when you are one minute away.

Psu is going to offer 400 players this cycle. They will get 25-30. They will lose 370. The joebots like you will focus on the 370 because it fits your agenda. There are thousands of schools and psu can go decades between commits. Should we stop recruiting them too?

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Franklin signed Reid TWO years after O'Brien quit on psu. Reid was more productive than any player joe ever got from the prep.

You are so predictable. If they stopped recruiting SJP you would then complain they don't recruit there.

Is psu really wasting time recruiting SJP? Should they have stopped recruiting SJP before hey hot Reid? If psu coaches visit Imhotep, then visit Roman Catholic and they cross Girard Ave is it really a big waste of resources to drive that extra one minute and go to SJP on Girard? The real waste of resources would be to not stop at SJP when you are one minute away.

Psu is going to offer 400 players this cycle. They will get 25-30. They will lose 370. The joebots like you will focus on the 370 because it fits your agenda. There are thousands of schools and psu can go decades between commits. Should we stop recruiting them too?
O'Brien recruited Reid. SJP was not a national player during the Paterno era. It was just another program in the Philadelphia Catholic League Southern Division. No agenda here, I barely care about PSU football these days, and I'm not a joebot. Those 400 offers are not first come first served. How many players have been lost because PSU gave a priority position or held a position for a SJP national recruit. Then when he goes inevitably goes elsewhere (like Georgia, Notre Dame, or Clemson), they tell the next guy we love you, and he says sorry someone else loved me from the start. This is the difference between playing chess and checkers. Franklin is a checkers player and so are you.

O'Brien recruited Reid. SJP was not a national player during the Paterno era. It was just another program in the Philadelphia Catholic League Southern Division. No agenda here, I barely care about PSU football these days, and I'm not a joebot. Those 400 offers are not first come first served. How many players have been lost because PSU gave a priority position or held a position for a SJP national recruit. Then when he goes inevitably goes elsewhere (like Georgia, Notre Dame, or Clemson), they tell the next guy we love you, and he says sorry someone else loved me from the start. This is the difference between playing chess and checkers. Franklin is a checkers player and so are you.

What was joe playing when he lost to Toledo?

Joe lost plenty of recruiting battles. Difference is he was losing them to Pitt, VTech, and Franklin loses them to Georgia, Clemson and bama.

Ps. If we used your dumb plan and stopped recruiting schools that have not sent a player to psu in recent years then Half the team would not be here.

It’s almost like osu is saying we can take anyone anywhere we want and you can’ do a dam thing about
In this case and all cases with SJP it's not the team we are recruiting against the problem is SJP. People can say all they want to that SJP doesn't push their players away from PS BUT THEY DO. SJP wants their players to go to ND first and if ND doesn't want them, then they want their players to go anywhere except PS. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The past is the best predicter of the future.

Gerry Faust.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Franklin’s first season was 2014. Reid played at PSU from 2015 until 2019. So how exactly was he recruited by O’Brien genius? Apparently you aren’t even playing checkers.

In this case and all cases with SJP it's not the team we are recruiting against the problem is SJP. People can say all they want to that SJP doesn't push their players away from PS BUT THEY DO. SJP wants their players to go to ND first and if ND doesn't want them, then they want their players to go anywhere except PS. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The past is the best predicter of the future.
That's the point that I was trying to make with how persuasive high school head coaches can dissuade their players from going to certain schools by using the former Aliquippa coach Mike Zmijanac as an example. It's no coincidence that many of Aliquippa's best players ended up at Pitt like Revis rather than PSU while he was the coach there. Now that he no longer is their coach, Aliquippa kids actually are going to PSU. Another example of a high school coach having an anti-PSU bias is Bill Cherpak at TJ in Pleasant Hills, PA.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT