ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl Ratings, worst in ten years

Another reason the NFL is losing popularity is tickets prices and access for younger people. They are doing a terrible job of cultivating younger fans. Take for instance the NHL (the Penguins, at least). They do a great job of cultivating new fans by setting aside X number of tickets for students to purchase at a discounted price. How does the NFL expect to get new fans when parents are tuning out and young generations can't afford to go to the games?

As for me, it's losing popularity because of the new rules for player safety. I hate to say it, but I don't care about player safety. They are supposedly modern day gladiators fighting in the arena, and they are payed handsomely to do so. If they suffer from CTE or whatever the hell it is, I don't really care, so long as I'm entertained. I didn't start watching football because players played patty-cake... I watched it because guys were getting crushed and lit up going over the middle. Now, I just don't care.

are-you-not-entertained-gif-2.gif

Right? I don't know how the rule reads, but plays like this should be allowed. I saw nothing dirty in the play and I didn't feel sorry for the receiver. You know who put the receiver in that position? Tom Brady, his QB.

It was just another terrible call that ended up miraculously going in favor of the Patriots. There were also a couple of hits on Goff that would have been penalties if the same hit had been on Brady. C'est la vie. Goff wasn't going to win that game for the Rams yesterday anyway, but it was maddening to see.

Reactions: Howie'81
Patriots fatigue on full display with those numbers. And I am perfectly happy with that #wegoteverything

Reactions: Mister Magoo
It was just another terrible call that ended up miraculously going in favor of the Patriots. There were also a couple of hits on Goff that would have been penalties if the same hit had been on Brady. C'est la vie. Goff wasn't going to win that game for the Rams yesterday anyway, but it was maddening to see.
Based on the rule, it was the right call.

Based on the rule, it was the right call.
we'll have to agree to disagree. he didn't target him or hit him with the crown of his head. He came in with his head up and bodied him. Bad call.

we'll have to agree to disagree. he didn't target him or hit him with the crown of his head. He came in with his head up and bodied him. Bad call.

Yep they were going to call this no matter what the flag came out just as fast as the play happened.

It doesn’t have to be the crown. Defenseless receivers are protected against any forcible contact to the head or neck area. By rule, he was obviously a defenseless receiver. And it seemed pretty obvious that there was forcible contact to the head.

Here is the rule...
  1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him
And the play...

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I don't care about player safety. They are supposedly modern day gladiators fighting in the arena, and they are payed handsomely to do so. If they suffer from CTE or whatever the hell it is, I don't really care, so long as I'm entertained. I didn't start watching football because players played patty-cake... I watched it because guys were getting crushed and lit up going over the middle. Now, I just don't care.

are-you-not-entertained-gif-2.gif
What a terrible take. Disgusting in fact.

It was a pretty boring game. Tough for the Rams O when the Pats know their plays when they are called. Tough for the Pats O because they just aren't that good.

Brady has become somewhat robotic in personality... so the big moment he got to speak with the trophy was even quite bad.

I watched some of the first half. Then the final 5 minutes. Maybe I missed some excitement.

LdN
Well the commercials were worse than either offense. Loved the NFL commercial, but overall, was a wasted night for those sitting in front of the TV. Imagine how bad it must’ve been for those who spent thousands of dollars to go in person.

It doesn’t have to be the crown. Defenseless receivers are protected against any forcible contact to the head or neck area. By rule, he was obviously a defenseless receiver. And it seemed pretty obvious that there was forcible contact to the head.

Here is the rule...
  1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him
And the play...
Fair enough . if they enforce that rule, the game is over. In this case, you have one of two options: hit him in the knees, which presents a whole new set of problems or just let him go. No way that defender can hit him in any other way than to let him go.

Reactions: Howie'81
Fair enough . if they enforce that rule, the game is over. In this case, you have one of two options: hit him in the knees, which presents a whole new set of problems or just let him go. No way that defender can hit him in any other way than to let him go.
Yup.

BTW, Josh Gordon gets his ring!

Pawn shops already gearing up a couple of years down the road.

1) People are tired of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl
2) It was a boring game. You lose the casual viewer really fast that way.
So, obviously people must have got tired of seeing the Steelers in the 70’s and the 49ers in the 80’s. Did viewing drop then?

I will take a stab at the Factors of why:

Rams do not have a strong fan base and alot of people do not think they belong there (Saints fans probably did not watch)

I think america is exhausted by the Patriots as they have become a team that was great story in there first couple SB to now being the hated aka the Yankees effect either you love them or you hate them.

Most people probably thought the Pats were going to win anyways, so people tuned out.

NFL is hard to watch anymore because you need the rule book in front of you to know what they are calling and looking at.
What about if you can't stand for the flag I can't support you people?

My cool story of the day....my son is an intern at Disney and a huge football fan. Ran into Brady and Edelman today and shook hands with both. He's not been a Pats fan but I'm sure he was smiling big time today

Reactions: PSUdraw
Why is the viewing numbers so important to some people? What does knowing this do for you?

If you like the teams - watch. If you like the event - watch. If you don't - then don't watch.

What's the big deal? Or more importantly, what is your ultimate motive in addressing these numbers?

I work in TV and I don’t care about the numbers. I still think they’re inflated a bit to justify boosting ad rates in order to make more money.

I’m with you - if people are fans of the sport or the game, they’ll watch. If they don’t care that much, then they’ll go elsewhere.

I work in TV and I don’t care about the numbers. I still think they’re inflated a bit to justify boosting ad rates in order to make more money.

I’m with you - if people are fans of the sport or the game, they’ll watch. If they don’t care that much, then they’ll go elsewhere.
Agree but I don't think it is that simple. Numbers are marginal: a 5% swing really affects what you can pay and profit margins. NFL is a money making machine so there is no real end in sight, but they want to maximize. The team itself, the business of football, is a fraction of what these owners make on these teams. Regardless, NFL has got to be concerned with the lagging interest in younger generations. I've got two boys and I raised them on football and PSU. Neither one gives a crap about football other than when it happens to be on TV in the background. They'd really perfer to spend their time gaming. Great kids, successful...just don't care and think it is a scam. One went to tOSU and didn't attend a game (sold his student tickets for gain and profit).

Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low In Historic NFL Game & Patriots’ Win

Shown on CBS for the first time since 2016 and with ad spots going for around $5 million each, the Rams’ loss scored a 44.9 in metered market results.

To put that in the starkest light of day, that’s a dip of just over 5.2% from the big NFL battle of February 4, 2018 on NBC. On a larger playing field, that metered market result for yesterday’s game is the worst the Super Bowl has done in the early numbers since the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals on February 1, 2009.

Yesterday’s Super Bowl is also down a bit over 8% from the metered markets of the last time CBS had the game three years ago.

Super Bowl 50 saw the Denver Broncos top the Carolina Panthers 24-10 on February 7, 2016 in a gridiron clash that eventually resulted in 111.9 million viewers and the honor at the time of being the third most watched show in U.S. TV history.

The lowest rated Super Bowl in eight years in the early metrics, last year’s Philadelphia Eagles’ victory 41-33 over the Patriots ended up with 103.4 million viewers, a nine-year low – so far.​

Do you check the ratings of all the shows you watch or, is it just for football?

The whole thing has lost its luster. It sucked the head. Kind of like Wrestlemania. The first few, amusing, after that repetitious BS.

Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low In Historic NFL Game & Patriots’ Win

Shown on CBS for the first time since 2016 and with ad spots going for around $5 million each, the Rams’ loss scored a 44.9 in metered market results.

To put that in the starkest light of day, that’s a dip of just over 5.2% from the big NFL battle of February 4, 2018 on NBC. On a larger playing field, that metered market result for yesterday’s game is the worst the Super Bowl has done in the early numbers since the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals on February 1, 2009.

Yesterday’s Super Bowl is also down a bit over 8% from the metered markets of the last time CBS had the game three years ago.

Super Bowl 50 saw the Denver Broncos top the Carolina Panthers 24-10 on February 7, 2016 in a gridiron clash that eventually resulted in 111.9 million viewers and the honor at the time of being the third most watched show in U.S. TV history.

The lowest rated Super Bowl in eight years in the early metrics, last year’s Philadelphia Eagles’ victory 41-33 over the Patriots ended up with 103.4 million viewers, a nine-year low – so far.​

And your point is?

Trey TALKS LOUDLY!!! He must be right.
Well, it would be nice if he actually accomplished something. his father was one of the founders of people magazine so he hasn't really had to worry where his next meal comes from. I understand he's got to say cool stuff to keep the viewership up, but I'd prefer the drunk guy at the end of the bar. They typically have just as much knowledge and more interesting things to say.

giphy.gif

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Well, it would be nice if he actually accomplished something. his father was one of the founders of people magazine so he hasn't really had to worry where his next meal comes from.
Lol, I’m sure that most people in the world would be thrilled with accomplishing a fraction of what Trey has accomplished in his career.

Lol, I’m sure that most people in the world would be thrilled with accomplishing a fraction of what Trey has accomplished in his career.

For an East Coast yuppie, I'm sort of shocked he ended up at....*checks notes*.... Baylor? Ok, weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT