ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla - exited short sale

The only two individual stocks that I own at the moment are TSLA and AAPL.

I bought some TSLA stock at $170 recently. I believe it has the potential to go very high due to some of the innovations associated with self-driving features and AI, while they have no real competition in the EV space.

I sold some AAPL stock to fund the TSLA purchase, as I think AAPL has been making some questionable moves lately. AAPL has been a good holding for me historically, but I believe their transition from being an innovator to a behemoth that merely rests on its laurels is nearly complete. The same thing happened to IBM a few decades ago.

In any event, I’m intrigued by TSLA’s ability to innovate. I believe we are seeing something special underway here.
Just wait until it replaces Uber with unattended cars and long haul trucks

Reactions: NewEra 2014
That’s rich coming from you. Your every thought is political based on the media you consume.
Don't think so. But here you are trying your best to talk down clearly one of the most innovative and successful people in our lifetime because that's what you've been instructed to do. And a few years ago, you were told to cheer him on, so you did.

It's like you have no conscious awareness of how much of a hypocrite you are and just how tightly your owners control you.

Reactions: Ski
Don't think so. But here you are trying your best to talk down clearly one of the most innovative and successful people in our lifetime because that's what you've been instructed to do. And a few years ago, you were told to cheer him on, so you did.

It's like you have no conscious awareness of how much of a hypocrite you are and just how tightly your owners control you.
I’m not the one who is constantly throwing a fit because my political posts are being moved off the board. That would be you. In fact you have now made this Tesla thread about politics too.

I’m not the one who is constantly throwing a fit because my political posts are being moved off the board. That would be you. In fact you have now made this Tesla thread about politics too.
You have been attacking Telsa in this thread because of politics. You made the thread political, like you do to others, before I even commented here.

My pointing out that you cheered them on a few years ago because you were told to and are now attacking Elon because you were told to is merely an observation of your hypocrisy and lack of independent thought.

You have been attacking Telsa in this thread because of politics. You made the thread political, like you do to others, before I even commented here.

My pointing out that you cheered them on a few years ago because you were told to and are now attacking Elon because you were told to is merely an observation of your hypocrisy and lack of independent thought.
Incorrect. I simply linked a tweet that showed Tesla’s safety study was flawed and you became triggered and went on a bizarre political rant about my motives.

It was you sir who once again brought politics to the football board.

Musk's Boring Company Las Vegas Loop is open, BTW. Musk planning to do to mass transit, what he's done for EVs and space travel.

So, someone presents objective facts ... and only presents objective facts ... and because you don't like those facts, you rage. You go on a rant that Musk is one of the most innovative and successful people in our lifetime (irrelevant to the facts presented), and then throw in an irrelevant conspiracy theory on top of it (the media is controlling you!). And you never addressed the actual facts presented in the initial posts.

You have failed. Again.

I took a day trip to the far southeast side of Tucson yesterday. I can make it roundtrip to downtown and back on a single charge with no range anxiety (200 miles). For this trip, I needed a quick charge to go the extra distance. (240).

Fees to charge in and around Phoenix were listed at .20 to .24 per kWh for the stations around me. The prices in Tucson were between .40 and .44 per kWh.

If you live in Tucson and can’t charge at home, you’d be crazy to buy an EV. At that rate, there’s little to no fuel savings depending on mpg and cost per gallon.

I took a day trip to the far southeast side of Tucson yesterday. I can make it roundtrip to downtown and back on a single charge with no range anxiety (200 miles). For this trip, I needed a quick charge to go the extra distance. (240).

Fees to charge in and around Phoenix were listed at .20 to .24 per kWh for the stations around me. The prices in Tucson were between .40 and .44 per kWh.

If you live in Tucson and can’t charge at home, you’d be crazy to buy an EV. At that rate, there’s little to no fuel savings depending on mpg and cost per gallon.
I am seeing a lot of noise about increased per-mile fees by states to make up for lost revenue compared to ICE cars who pay a heavy per gallon tax of gasoline. In Ohio, my PHEV comes with an increase in the annual license fee.

So the govt gives you come kind of tax credit to buy the car. The car maker simply increases the car price so that they get the credit and the buyer does not. The buyer pays a premium for the EV or PHEV. Then the govt sticks you with an additional fee to supplement the gas tax revenue they are losing. Now they are wondering why EV sales are suffering.

I have a PHEV and like it (Jeep 4xe). But I just bought a lightly used, three-year-old Mercedes SUV and never considered a PHEV or EV at all. I have no idea of the mathematical logic to justify it other than you want to save the planet. OK, I'd consider Teslas new model S Plaid.

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
I am seeing a lot of noise about increased per-mile fees by states to make up for lost revenue compared to ICE cars who pay a heavy per gallon tax of gasoline. In Ohio, my PHEV comes with an increase in the annual license fee.

So the govt gives you come kind of tax credit to buy the car. The car maker simply increases the car price so that they get the credit and the buyer does not. The buyer pays a premium for the EV or PHEV. Then the govt sticks you with an additional fee to supplement the gas tax revenue they are losing. Now they are wondering why EV sales are suffering.

I have a PHEV and like it (Jeep 4xe). But I just bought a lightly used, three-year-old Mercedes SUV and never considered a PHEV or EV at all. I have no idea of the mathematical logic to justify it other than you want to save the planet. OK, I'd consider Teslas new model S Plaid.

The idea of electric cars, which seems lost today, is to not pump poisonous fumes into the air in cities for people to breathe.

Back in the day before globalists got control of everything, the obvious was... obvious.

Don't litter. Not to save sea otters in Alaska but to clean up your city.

Smaller engine vehicles, and now EVs to not save sea ice in the Antarcitc but because Carbon Monoxide is poison.

EVs make a lot of sense to a good portion of drivers. People lost sight of the benefits.

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
The idea of electric cars, which seems lost today, is to not pump poisonous fumes into the air in cities for people to breathe.

Back in the day before globalists got control of everything, the obvious was... obvious.

Don't litter. Not to save sea otters in Alaska but to clean up your city.

Smaller engine vehicles, and now EVs to not save sea ice in the Antarcitc but because Carbon Monoxide is poison.

EVs make a lot of sense to a good portion of drivers. People lost sight of the benefits.
Agree...but few are going to drive EVs unless it makes sense economically. The idea to subsidize cars on one side only to tax them on the other is just dumb. Right now, EV programs are a complete mess.

I said, I don’t make the rules. I just play by them. If you’re going to give me $7500 to buy a car, I’ll take it. I wouldn’t have purchased the Tesla without it. The fact that I paid so little for it compared to comparable models, AND I will save a couple of hundred a month on gas because I can charge at home, it’s a no-brainer.

Reactions: Obliviax
when I hear people complain about Musk I post something like this. I don't know of a single company that open sources their technology. Not one. Especially one that is revolutionizing so many types of businesses.

Reactions: Ski
For all you Tesla haters. Here’s some FUD.

But before I share that, I have to say, it’s been 10 months and I still absolutely love the car. Not a single issue in 13k miles. Knock wood. The only maintenance was a tire rotation and another that is due and cabin air filters that I replaced.

I’ve charged a total of 4344 kWh. Virtually all at home overnight at $.08 per kWh (all in) for a total cost of ~$348. That equates to about 2.67 cents per mile. Gas near me is currently 4.19 per gallon. You can do the math on you car’s avg mpg to see what gas costs you per mile.

Now, the FUD part. The summer heat in AZ is absolutely destroying my battery performance. During the cooler months, I was getting about 4 miles per kWh. Now, with temps hovering at 110-118 the last couple of weeks, my economy is down to about 1.6 miles per kWh. The AC is the major drain and the cabin overheat protection is working overtime when parked.

Still, I LOVE the car. That said, if you rent and/or can’t charge at home, you’d be crazy to buy a fully electric vehicle.

when I hear people complain about Musk I post something like this. I don't know of a single company that open sources their technology. Not one. Especially one that is revolutionizing so many types of businesses.

Are there any schematics of Tesla cars available to mechanics who don't work for Tesla? Any schematics available online? There has not been any schematics available anywhere that I know of. Why doesn't Tesla have the computer port that almost every other has been required by law to have since 1996? Law does not require it in electric cars yet but he certainly could install it. It would be very helpful to many and lower consumer costs and delays in getting your car serviced. You can't diagnose your own car. You likely can't take it to a local mechanic you trust because they are handicapped by not having needed information. That is not exactly "open"

Are there any schematics of Tesla cars available to mechanics who don't work for Tesla? Any schematics available online? There has not been any schematics available anywhere that I know of. Why doesn't Tesla have the computer port that almost every other has been required by law to have since 1996? Law does not require it in electric cars yet but he certainly could install it. It would be very helpful to many and lower consumer costs and delays in getting your car serviced. You can't diagnose your own car. You likely can't take it to a local mechanic you trust because they are handicapped by not having needed information. That is not exactly "open"
All great points. But I do know that tesla hasn't enforced their patents.

I'll also share that at a shareholder meeting, Tesla introduced the ability for the owner to schedule when charging would start. In other words, the owner can delay charging in cases where the electric company may give benefits for charging for low stress times. A shareholder asked Elon why Tesla was making the owner responsible for all the math that goes into that decision. Why not just ask the owner when the next time they needed to use the car and let the car do the math to decide when is the best time to start and complete charging? Tesla made that change in the next software release.

So I googled this and rereading your post, I am assuming you are talking about the diagnostic port that ICE vehicles have. In googling it, I saw three responses:
  1. being an EV, there isn't a lot of stuff that has to be monitored. Like Oil, catalytic converter, and other ICE specific things
  2. most of what is needed to be monitored is available to view in Tesla's standard center iPad-ish thng. You can get diagnostic information without having to plug anything in.
  3. for several years, some chips were left out due to COVID supply chain issues. So that may add to the confusion.
In looking for schematics, when I googled it, I got tons of information so I am not sure what, specifically, you have found to be deficient.

All great points. But I do know that tesla hasn't enforced their patents.

I'll also share that at a shareholder meeting, Tesla introduced the ability for the owner to schedule when charging would start. In other words, the owner can delay charging in cases where the electric company may give benefits for charging for low stress times. A shareholder asked Elon why Tesla was making the owner responsible for all the math that goes into that decision. Why not just ask the owner when the next time they needed to use the car and let the car do the math to decide when is the best time to start and complete charging? Tesla made that change in the next software release.
I am not anti-Tesla. I like some of the things he is doing. But I certainly will call out what I think is unfair. I stated the most obvious. Several Tesla owners have expressed to me that getting parts and scheduling repairs supposedly covered by the warranty has been the worst part of owning a Tesla. In 2023 I talked my son into buying a hybrid because I was very concerned that as more people bought electric cars there would be a big competition for electricity and that those charging stations would essentially have you by the short hairs. The prices are rising fast in many areas. Tesla added a surcharge if you wanted more than a certain % charge. My son is very happy with his hybrid. I told him that for every thousand of new EVs ....electricity would go up and the demand for gas would not.....keeping it's price more stable. So far....it seems to be leaning that way.

I am not anti-Tesla. I like some of the things he is doing. But I certainly will call out what I think is unfair. I stated the most obvious. Several Tesla owners have expressed to me that getting parts and scheduling repairs supposedly covered by the warranty has been the worst part of owning a Tesla. In 2023 I talked my son into buying a hybrid because I was very concerned that as more people bought electric cars there would be a big competition for electricity and that those charging stations would essentially have you by the short hairs. The prices are rising fast in many areas. Tesla added a surcharge if you wanted more than a certain % charge. My son is very happy with his hybrid. I told him that for every thousand of new EVs ....electricity would go up and the demand for gas would not.....keeping it's price more stable. So far....it seems to be leaning that way.
I totally agree. But I think Tesla has operated under two major challenges. First, the moved away from a dealership model. This has great benefits relative to eliminating the middle-person to lower costs. The downside is that the consumer has less options from a support standpoint. This is clearly part of their parts and parts availability issue. Also, it is not realistic to expect a company like AutoZone to stock up when there weren't a lot on the road. One also has to consider that there were supply chain problems across the board but when there was already an availability and supply chain problem, this made parts more acute.

the good news is that the drive train is substantially more reliable. The biggest problem is recovery from accidents and new part failures.

I told him that for every thousand of new EVs ....electricity would go up and the demand for gas would not.....keeping it's price more stable. So far....it seems to be leaning that way.
It will be interesting to see in the long term but I don’t think there are enough pure EVs to substantially move the needle on electricity pricing - yet.

I do know that Tesla continues to add capacity with charging stations. But still, I would not buy an EV if I couldn’t charge at home. The cost and inconvenience are too much to overcome at this point.

It costs me .08 to charge at home and the cheapest Supercharger near me is usually .23 but surges to .47 at times. On the drive to CA, Supercharging costs about the same or more as gas - and that’s just crazy.

It will be interesting to see in the long term but I don’t think there are enough pure EVs to substantially move the needle on electricity pricing - yet.

I do know that Tesla continues to add capacity with charging stations. But still, I would not buy an EV if I couldn’t charge at home. The cost and inconvenience are too much to overcome at this point.

It costs me .08 to charge at home and the cheapest Supercharger near me is usually .23 but surges to .47 at times. On the drive to CA, Supercharging costs about the same or more as gas - and that’s just crazy.

Cars are getting to be like phones and computers. Buy as much as you can afford and be prepared to throw it away after 4-5 years. 😂
Agreed. one of the "promisses" of EVs is Wifi updates. These will affect things like UI/UX and driverless driving. But they won't affect hardware updates like batteries or body/interior changes.

Agreed. one of the "promisses" of EVs is Wifi updates. These will affect things like UI/UX and driverless driving. But they won't affect hardware updates like batteries or body/interior changes.
I read that the battery in this new model is not an LFP like some of the older Model 3s (like mine). LFP you can charge to 100% daily. Non-LFP they recommend only charging to 80% and then 100% before long trips or weekly. I wonder if they are moving away from LFP???

I read that the battery in this new model is not an LFP like some of the older Model 3s (like mine). LFP you can charge to 100% daily. Non-LFP they recommend only charging to 80% and then 100% before long trips or weekly. I wonder if they are moving away from LFP???
You are way beyond me. But I did relay the story I heard that Testla announced a way that you can schedule when your charging takes place. An audience member suggested that the car should just ask when the next time is that you'll need it. Tesla had that on the next release. My point is that Tesla can easily program in logic as to when and how to recharge given the user's history and available resources. My iPhone and MacBook have this capability.

You are way beyond me. But I did relay the story I heard that Testla announced a way that you can schedule when your charging takes place. An audience member suggested that the car should just ask when the next time is that you'll need it. Tesla had that on the next release. My point is that Tesla can easily program in logic as to when and how to recharge given the user's history and available resources. My iPhone and MacBook have this capability.
Yea. I plug in when we get home for the night then have it set to start charging when my electric plan rates fall. I can also have it set to start charging based on when I leave in the morning. That way, I can have the car charged to 100% and the cabin cooled or heated to my temp

The knock on some of the previous models was that while they tout X range, it’s lower because they don’t recommend charging to 100% on most batteries. But, you can charge to 100 if you plan on a long drive. 🤷‍♂️

With the LFP chemistry battery, constantly charging to 100 doesn’t affect battery health. Allegedly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT