ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Iowa match

I'm sure I'll "upset" people here but, in spite of his contributions to wrestling, I can't stand John Smith. Another whiney, constantly complaining coach who has both a smug, yet "someone shit in his cornflakes" look on his face. I rather see PA guys go to Iowa than that puke orange stalling dust bowl.

If they meet, I can't wait to see Zain torture Stallica and, of course, Nolf light up junior again.

Can anyone imagine a Cael coached team providing as little offense as EITHER Iowa or OkSt did today? I didn't actually see the match, but I'm grateful for that. Listening to the audio was painful enough.

Last edited:
No, it would make me sick to watch such a thing. With OSU, you're used to it. With Iowa, you're only used to it in last 6-7 years.

Question...did Iowa's disgusting performance hurt us, even a little, in the title hunt because OkSt is sure to have improved their seeds in several spots?

Not at all, but it potentially hurts Iowa down the road @ 133 (Clark loses the top spot but Cortez isn't even in the conversation here) and 149 (Sorensen will fall behind Collica for the time being; doesn't matter to Zain or Penn State).

For OSU, Nolan Boyd potentially hurt himself getting demolished by Brooks. He's now lost to Dean twice and Brooks, and he only has one ranked opponent left on the conference schedule (Downey) before potentially meeting up with Nickal at NWCAs. Boyd surprises me. He finished last season on a tear, including a very impressive showing at NCAAs.

Az compared Gilman's remarks to the quotes of some of America's finest generals. I took issue with said comments however in retrospect he was right, you can compare Gilman's motivational skills to a famous america general, General Custer.

Come on, FT, that's not what happened. The quotes were in direct response to me essentially claiming that a military leader wouldn't talk trash in the media but, rather, would be more PC about how business is conducted. Chief provided a few examples to the contrary. It was only tangentially related to Gilman's behavior, which at that point in the discussion, we had moved past.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/gilmans-thoughts-on-the-pokes.176532/page-3

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Gilman popped off and then stepped on the mat and competed his ass off.

Gilman (as well as Clark, Kemerer and Brooks) is/are not what is wrong with Iowa.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Gilman popped off and then stepped on the mat and competed his ass off.

Gilman (as well as Clark, Kemerer and Brooks) is/are not what is wrong with Iowa.

The problem is that Gilman put his teammates in a difficult situation. If it was a one-man match, just his match, then fine. However, this is a team sport too and an argument could be made that by spouting off before the match, he hurt his team by providing bulletin board material for his opponents.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Can anyone imagine a Cael coached team providing as little offense as EITHER Iowa or OkSt did today? I didn't actually see the match, but I'm grateful for that. Listening to the audio was painful enough.

The audio had a lot of dead air .... probably because the announcers were struggling to invent new terms for stalling, edge "wrestling" and collar ties.

Not at all, but it potentially hurts Iowa down the road @ 133 (Clark loses the top spot but Cortez isn't even in the conversation here) and 149 (Sorensen will fall behind Collica for the time being; doesn't matter to Zain or Penn State).

For OSU, Nolan Boyd potentially hurt himself getting demolished by Brooks. He's now lost to Dean twice and Brooks, and he only has one ranked opponent left on the conference schedule (Downey) before potentially meeting up with Nickal at NWCAs. Boyd surprises me. He finished last season on a tear, including a very impressive showing at NCAAs.
Collica right now is the #2 seed at nationals. If he had lost, he might have been #4 or #5. IMO 149 is 5 deep (Zain, Collica, Mayes, Sorensen, Jordan), so this win made his path 1 round easier in March.

The only way I see him not being the #2 seed is if he loses to both Zain and Mayes. Even then he could still be anywhere from 2 to 4.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
The problem is that Gilman put his teammates in a difficult situation. If it was a one-man match, just his match, then fine. However, this is a team sport too and an argument could be made that by spouting off before the match, he hurt his team by providing bulletin board material for his opponents.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I suppose if there was anything to the notion that Gilman's words had an impact.
Gilman pounded his kid, no surprise.
Brock beat Clark by a point, not any huge surprise.
Heil managed to squeak by an undermanned opponent.
Collica in 11 minutes of wrestling was so rip roaring fired up he scored 3 escapes and won with tied score and 2 additional OT riding time seconds.
Smith got his ass kicked.
Rodgers pinned an overwhelmed opponent.
Crutchmer beat Meyer (however u spell) it. Again not surprising.
Boyd laid down like a scared pup and accepted his beating.
Weigel (sp?) won against someone he should beat every time they wrestle.
Stoll underwhelmed more than the Pokie Hwt.

Exactly where do you believe Gilman's words negatively impacted Iowa's performance or maybe juiced a Pokie performance?

I saw zero impact from his words other than he did get himself fired up and apparently Brooks and Kemerer had no problem cashing checks.

I suppose if there was anything to the notion that Gilman's words had an impact.
Collica in 11 minutes of wrestling was so rip roaring fired up he scored 3 escapes and won with tied score and 2 additional OT riding time seconds.

Exactly where do you believe Gilman's words negatively impacted Iowa's performance or maybe juiced a Pokie performance?

I saw zero impact from his words other than he did get himself fired up and apparently Brooks and Kemerer had no problem cashing checks.

Maybe without Gilman's words Iowa would've done even worse o_O

Reactions: Dogwelder and SRATH

We'll have to agree to disagree here. His team lost by 13 points in a dual that was essentially a toss-up.
Not to mention, Gilman got a major, barely. He didn't get 5 or 6 points. Others have pinned Picc this year. Not Gilman.
I like the way he wrestles, just not the extracurricular, WWE garbage.

Reactions: dropster45
“If you wanna be a tough guy, be it on the mat,” Smith said. “You don’t need to be a tough guy off the mat. Be a tough guy on the mat.

“I appreciate how tough he is, but do it on the mat. That’s where it needs to stay.”

Despite Iowa’s loss, Gilman added more comments toward the Cowboys after the dual. Smith or OSU wrestlers did not say what Gilman said, but their reactions emphasized the rivalry between the two programs.

“I don’t listen to that kid,” Collica said. “He’s not the brightest.”

Rogers took a different approach.

“I didn’t hear them, but I’ll be praying for him,” he said.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cowboys silence Iowa in rivalry win

Why is Gilman pointing to the hardwood floor during the blowup? Don't quite understand what he is trying to say? "Meet me here for a game of one on one hoops, Heil, and we'll REALLY see what is up!"

We'll have to agree to disagree here. His team lost by 13 points in a dual that was essentially a toss-up.
Not to mention, Gilman got a major, barely. He didn't get 5 or 6 points. Others have pinned Picc this year. Not Gilman.
I like the way he wrestles, just not the extracurricular, WWE garbage.
I get that people do not like his routine and that's personal. I just think it's kinda silly to put anything on him for the loss. There was nothing about Oklahoma State's performance to indicate they got any extra performance motivation form Gilman's words. Belittling the earned MD as though the Okie St kid is some sort of pushover gives no credence to the disagreement.

We don't need to agree to disagree.
You don't like the kid's routine and I understand why. His schtick doesn't really bother me, mostly because I like the way he competes.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
Thomas Gillman thanks for the pep talk!

1. mike tognettiHR All-American
    NewYou should of talked to your teammates before you ran your mouth! LOL
Look at the post from Tognetti over on HR. This kind of banter makes me laugh.
I have no idea how he survives over there. I've been banned twice and I could never ever reach the levels of making those guys miserable that ol' Mikey does.

Whether we like to admit it or not, that's part of the contest - staying healthy, that is. Always has been, always will be.

It certainly is. Fine line to be walked in terms of when to get a kid out of there, and when to bring a kid back in there. One of the challenges of coaching, at any level, really. If Stoll cannot go, it's understandable, he must sit this one out, regardless of team score. Looking at Clark out there with the bowling hand on and the shoulder harness on at the same time, impossible to believe that wasn't a factor today vs Brock.

Seeing the Iowa Vs. Okie State match made me even more excited for this upcoming match on Friday the 20th.

125 - Suriano Vs Gilman - I think Gilman is too much for Suriano at this point but i do think that with Surianos defense that he will hold it to a decision. Iowa 3-0

133 - Carpenter Vs. Clark - I think Clark is gonna win by Major. He is a good scrambler and a very good wrestler. The only question i have is about Clarks health, he was pretty wrapped up vs Okie State. Iowa 7-0

141 - Gulibon Vs. Carton - This one is tricky i think Gulibon looked solid recently despite the losses but Carton looked pretty good and strong against Okie St. I am gonna give Gulibon the decision here. Iowa 7-3

149 - Retherford Vs. Sorenson - Sorenson has never impressed me and the last time that these 2 met Retherford won by Major and i think the same thing will happen. Tied 7-7

157 - Nolf Vs. Kemerer - Kemerer is having a very solid freshman campaign but Nolf is gonna be too much for him to handle in my opinion. Nolf by Major PSU 11-7

165 - Joseph Vs. Gunter or St John - I think St. John will go here and i think Joseph gets the Tech Fall. He has been wrestling very tough recently and suspect the same to be the case. PSU 16-7

174 - Morelli Vs. Meyer - I think Meyer gets the decision for Iowa here. But i hope that i am wrong. PSU 16-10

184 - Nickal Vs. Brooks - I think that Bo is gonna beat brooks pretty convincingly here. Bo by Major. PSU 20-10

197 - McCutchen Vs. Wilcke - Wilcke looked okay but i think that Cutch is gonna beat him by Decision. PSU 23-10

285 - Nevills Vs. Stoll - Against Okie St we saw that Stoll is very big but is susceptible to lose to quicker more athletic heavyweights. I am gonna pick Nick here to win by Decision. PSU 26-10

125 - Gilman by dec., Iowa 3-0
133 - Clark by tech, Iowa 8-0
141 - Carton by dec., Iowa 11-0
149 - Zain by major, Iowa 11-4
157 - Nolf by dec, Iowa 11-7
165 - Joseph by major, 11-11
174 - Meyer by dec., Iowa 14-11
184 - Bo by dec., 14-14
197 - Mouse by dec., PSU 17-14
285 - Nevills by dec., PSU 20-14

I hope we boat race Iowa! However, strange things tend to happen in Carver. I expect Iowa to come out firing and expect they will have a sizable lead after 141. They are back home and will be smarting from the beat down they just took.

The pressure will be on for us between 149 - 165 to rack up bonus points and catch up. Not sure how this pressure will affect our guys and how aggressive Iowa will be in these matches. It could be a very very close match that comes down to heavy. I hope Stoll goes! Would love to see Nevills knock him off and predict he will.

I'll watch this Okie State/Iowa dual tonight. Had to run errands yesterday, but given these results, it really hasn't changed much in terms of what I thought about regarding Okie State or Iowa. I still like our chances in March unless the tape shows me something different.

I hope we boat race Iowa! However, strange things tend to happen in Carver. I expect Iowa to come out firing and expect they will have a sizable lead after 141. They are back home and will be smarting from the beat down they just took.

The pressure will be on for us between 149 - 165 to rack up bonus points and catch up. Not sure how this pressure will affect our guys and how aggressive Iowa will be in these matches. It could be a very very close match that comes down to heavy. I hope Stoll goes! Would love to see Nevills knock him off and predict he will.

I predict that the NCAA ill-enforced "Stalling" rules will be turned on their head yet again in CHA and heavily factor into the scoring of the match in Iowa's favor both in terms when it is called (and providing points to assist bonus points) and when it is absurdly and inconsistently ignored to prevent bonus scoring in Iowa's favor... Anybody who has watched through the years realizes this is certainly nothing new, but to me is what made Gilman's statement before the Okie State match so pathetic - and why he looked so foolish after the match....and he did make a complete fool and clown of himself (preemptive strike against the "I have no problem with what he said" crowd....go back and read his comments, he used the reference "we" multiple times in his statement referring to Iowa as a team - not just himself. He declared that Okie State's "style" of wrestling sucks as compared to Iowa's....and that Iowa aggressively wins matches and takes what is theirs....while OSU attempts to back into wins....blah, blah, blah. The performance that Iowa turned in overall [and how Iowa has wrestled the last 6 years] relative to those comments demonstrated how asinine and foolish those comments were - I don't think his comments provided any additional motivation for OSU [any respectable team has maximum motivation going into a match regardless of whether their opponent stays classy or goes classless with their public comments], I just think he made an idiot and clown of himself via those comments to anybody whose watched Iowa wrestle over the last 5 years and watched that match.).

If anybody should be making the comments made by Gilman, it should be Zain, Jason or Bo in regards to their up coming Dual Meet with Iowa @CHA this Friday as to the absurd way "Stalling" rules will likely be called there, but they aren't going to worry about because they're just going to go into CHA and take what is theirs regardless of how absurdly the homer-officials want to call the Dual... Now Zain, Jason, Bo nor their Coaches would ever waste their breathe making such useless statements, but if they did say it, at least they would be speaking simple facts and the truth rather than absurd, asinine ridiculousness like Gilman.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I predict that the NCAA ill-enforced "Stalling" rules will be turned on their head yet again in CHA and heavily factor into the scoring of the match in Iowa's favor both in terms when it is called (and providing points to assist bonus points) and when it is absurdly and inconsistently ignored to prevent bonus scoring in Iowa's favor... Anybody who has watched through the years realizes this is certainly nothing new, but to me is what made Gilman's statement before the Okie State match so pathetic - and why he looked so foolish after the match....and he did make a complete fool and clown of himself (preemptive strike against the "I have no problem with what he said" crowd....go back and read his comments, he used the reference "we" multiple times in his statement referring to Iowa as a team - not just himself. He declared that Okie State's "style" of wrestling sucks as compared to Iowa's....and that Iowa aggressively wins matches and takes what is theirs....while OSU attempts to back into wins....blah, blah, blah. The performance that Iowa turned in overall [and how Iowa has wrestled the last 6 years] relative to those comments demonstrated how asinine and foolish those comments were - I don't think his comments provided any additional motivation for OSU [any respectable team has maximum motivation going into a match regardless of whether their opponent stays classy or goes classless with their public comments], I just think he made an idiot and clown of himself via those comments to anybody whose watched Iowa wrestle over the last 5 years and watched that match.).

If anybody should be making the comments made by Gilman, it should be Zain, Jason or Bo in regards to their up coming Dual Meet with Iowa @CHA this Friday as to the absurd way "Stalling" rules will likely be called there, but they aren't going to worry about because they're just going to go into CHA and take what is theirs regardless of how absurdly the homer-officials want to call the Dual... Now Zain, Jason, Bo nor their Coaches would ever waste their breathe making such useless statements, but if they did say it, at least they would be speaking simple facts and the truth rather than absurd, asinine ridiculousness like Gilman.
Like they used to tell us, "If you have to tell somebody who you are, then you probably aren't".
On top of that, there's the whole matter of making a scene, not once but twice, before and after.
And if that wasn't enough, they got their asses handed to them!
But, he is just a kid, and therefore this is where the leadership should come in to alter his path.
Let's see what the leadership does with this...

Reactions: Dogwelder
Like they used to tell us, "If you have to tell somebody who you are, then you probably aren't".
On top of that, there's the whole matter of making a scene, not once but twice, before and after.
And if that wasn't enough, they got their asses handed to them!
But, he is just a kid, and therefore this is where the leadership should come in to alter his path.
Let's see what the leadership does with this...

The closest thing to calm brands displayed at the match was the end where he was holding up 4 and 5 fingers showing what the score should have been in the stoll match.

Last edited:
I love the quotes Chief put up of some of our great military leaders, but they are not what sticks in my mind. Brands galaxy domination battle plans and Gilman's harsh words for OSU remind me more of Kim jong-un and his North Korean team. " we will not hesitate to slap them" tell me you can't hear Brands or Gilman breaking out this quote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT