ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kibe

We're in pretty good shape at 197 barring injury.

Kibe 157 does not seem reasonable. He has wrestled every match this year at 170-182 and still has a year left in HS. Hopefully the real path is getting Crookham and moving Boone up to 157.

We need help at the lightweights too. I like Howard but doubt he can hold 125 forever. If he can, then we need 133 help unless Bartlett can drop and stay -- and Bartlett can, then we need 141 help.

Nice problems to have.
Any truth to the rumor Kibe can handle the cut to 125?;)

From Penn Live article posted 30 min ago

The early thought for Kibe, he said, is to settle in at 184 pounds, but much can happen between now and then. He will wrestle this postseason at 170 pounds again, then have his senior year and likely a redshirt season at Penn State to see how his body develops.

“We talked about it, and they see me mainly as a 184-pounder, but later in my career I could possibly be a 197,” he said. “There’s still possibly a redshirt year, and I still have my senior year of high school left. There’s still at least two years, I’m thinking I’m going to grow at least into 184 by then.”

Great pickup. Looks like more log jams in the upper weights. Surprised he committed to us right after Facundo did. I'm assuming they are projected at the same weight(s). Perhaps he's a fan and this is his dream, regardless if he starts all 4 years? Someone noted his dad went to PSU.

Reactions: diggerpup
Great pickup. Looks like more log jams in the upper weights. Surprised he committed to us right after Facundo did. I'm assuming they are projected at the same weight(s). Perhaps he's a fan and this is his dream, regardless if he starts all 4 years? Someone noted his dad went to PSU.

Noticed Brady Berge's younger bro Bennett also at the same weight. He's a Sophomore ranked #9 at 170 according to Intermat.

Did you just not even see the post immediately previous about Kibe’s projected Weight?

What’s the problem here? Damn, Cael recruits too much talent.

it’s like the football board bummed out when a 5 star commits early - “oh, just gives him more time to decommit”

Reactions: Grass
Did you just not even see the post immediately previous about Kibe’s projected Weight?

What’s the problem here? Damn, Cael recruits too much talent.

it’s like the football board bummed out when a 5 star commits early - “oh, just gives him more time to decommit”
I'm not bummed out at all. Quite the opposite actually. I'm guessing by your post that Facundo isn't projected at 184? I flipped back through the Facundo commitment thread. Seems 165 to 184 is possible for him.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Facundo projects 74/84 and Kibe 84/97. Kids grow and have changes that are unexpected but I think this is what they are being looked at for the future.
Okay, that's reasonable so let's use it as a working assumption. Let's also assume both guys redshirt their first year at PSU (2021-22). After that redshirt year, Joe Lee, Starocci, and Beard still have 2 years remaining, while Brooks has 1 year (plus an available redshirt). So how's that gonna work? I guess both Facundo and Kibe could greyshirt prior to the redshirt year, which would alleviate the logjam to some degree, but that's still a bunch of pieces to juggle.

Reactions: diggerpup
Okay, that's reasonable so let's use it as a working assumption. Let's also assume both guys redshirt their first year at PSU (2021-22). After that redshirt year, Joe Lee, Starocci, and Beard still have 2 years remaining, while Brooks has 1 year (plus an available redshirt). So how's that gonna work? I guess both Facundo and Kibe could greyshirt prior to the redshirt year, which would alleviate the logjam to some degree, but that's still a bunch of pieces to juggle.
I have to admit, I much prefer this type of problem versus the why can't we get a 125 pounder type of problem.

yeah it is going to be a crowded room but with the transfer portal it gives these kids the shot to make the starting lineup for Cael and the dynasty he has built and move on if they aren’t able to.

Facundo projects 74/84 and Kibe 84/97. Kids grow and have changes that are unexpected but I think this is what they are being looked at for the future.

Makes me wonder why the wrestling world seems to be so secretive about wrestler heights.

Reactions: Tjsch1
Seems like we’re pretty stacked now everywhere but 133 and 197, agree?

You never know, but Bartlett 141, Boone 149, Kibe 157, Facundo 165/174 (he's pretty big) seems reasonable based on where they are today. Obviously we've got Joe Lee 165 and Busiello 149/157 in there as well.
I either missed something or else it's just too early in the morning and my brain's not working yet, but who is Boone?

What Cael does in his spare time:
81zQGlKs9oS._SL1500_.jpg

yeah it is going to be a crowded room but with the transfer portal it gives these kids the shot to make the starting lineup for Cael and the dynasty he has built and move on if they aren’t able to.
I’m wondering if you’re on to something here that is going to push PSU to another level going forward. The transfer portal seems to be providing top high school wrestlers an opportunity to basically come in, redshirt, get the best training from the best coaches, measure themselves against superior competition and basically try out for the varsity team. Perhaps the mindset evolving out there among recruits is even if I have to transfer, I will be better off wherever I land from what I learned from a year in the PSU room. This might explain the overlap of quality wrestlers we’re seeing at so many of these weights.

I’m wondering if you’re on to something here that is going to push PSU to another level going forward. The transfer portal seems to be providing top high school wrestlers an opportunity to basically come in, redshirt, get the best training from the best coaches, measure themselves against superior competition and basically try out for the varsity team. Perhaps the mindset evolving out there among recruits is even if I have to transfer, I will be better off wherever I land from what I learned from a year in the PSU room. This might explain the overlap of quality wrestlers we’re seeing at so many of these weights.

Or these guys believe they can come in and win a spot. Gotta think these top tier wrestlers all have tremendous self confidence.

There might be some of that thought process out there, but as posted right below your post most of these guys think it is their world. Heck, I was never good enough to wrestle at this PSU level and any match I lost I was shocked that could even happen.

Or these guys believe they can come in and win a spot. Gotta think these top tier wrestlers all have tremendous self confidence.

Bingo. I really don't understand the fan angst of getting multiple top notch wrestlers just because some may be at the same weight. Depth is a GREAT thing to have. Something we could have used more of this season with injuries to Berge, Cassar, Conel, Rasheed, and now possibly Nevills.

Bingo. I really don't understand the fan angst of getting multiple top notch wrestlers just because some may be at the same weight. Depth is a GREAT thing to have. Something we could have used more of this season with injuries to Berge, Cassar, Conel, Rasheed, and now possibly Nevills.
I didn't see or detect any angst in this thread. I saw some questions wondering about how all the pieces would fit together. But if you consider that to be angst, so be it.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I didn't see or detect any angst in this thread. I saw some questions wondering about how all the pieces would fit together. But if you consider that to be angst, so be it.

Well, to be fair it really was pretty much just you with the angst.

Like it, but if folks were wondering where Facundo fits in, what about Kibe? Seems like there will need to be some serious greyshirt/redshirt juggling and mixing/matching.

Just watched his state finals win from back in March. That Ulrey kid he beat looked pretty damn good. Kibe was on defense (and really good defense at that) almost the entire match.
Video here (not paywalled):
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6390557

Ulrey committed to VT and is Flo's #2 at 170, so they both moved up. Ulrey looks like a D1 wrestler already. Kibe is a good recruit. Not flashy but appears to have solid fundamentals and scrambles well.

Here's his semi from the same tournament, less than a year ago:
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...rey-kibe-mifflin-county-vs-luca-frinzi-becahi

Thanks! I did miss that one, and he's not listed on Dice's spreadsheet which is my go-to source for our roster.
WrestleStat has the same breakdown for the team + commits -- see Eligibility Breakdown tab.

Might not yet have Kibe yet but otherwise should be up to date.

Won't have grayshirts or wish list guys ... still really good.

Nothing against Dice,, he just might be busy with his team.

WrestleStat has the same breakdown for the team + commits -- see Eligibility Breakdown tab.

Might not yet have Kibe yet but otherwise should be up to date.

Won't have grayshirts or wish list guys ... still really good.

Nothing against Dice,, he just might be busy with his team.
Updated. You are right, I've been slacking lately - it's a pretty busy time of year for me!
Took some time this morning and got things pretty squared away. Of course I may have missed some potential recruits committing elsewhere.

Updated here

Well yeah. that is implied.. but the risk now of being stuck behind someone, IF they don't win the spot is negligible so they can commit to the team they want with less concern of not being a starter.. All these top kids think they are going to be THE guy at their weight..
You’re absolutely right, but what better place to ultimately find out whether you have the right stuff than the PSU room.

I agree that they all believe they will be multiple time NC’s. But I also think most of these elite high school wrestlers understand that thanks to the portal they have everything to gain and nothing to lose by committing to start their quest in the best collegiate wrestling environment in the country. If they don’t rise to the top, they know there will still be numerous programs waiting in the wings to accept them. No one has to sit behind anyone anymore. I think that, at least in part, is what we are seeing with this possible overlap of top talent.

:D:D:D
Updated. You are right, I've been slacking lately - it's a pretty busy time of year for me!
Took some time this morning and got things pretty squared away. Of course I may have missed some potential recruits committing elsewhere.

Updated here

Niiiiiice. You know we’re getting old when the name Cunningham officially appears on Dice’s sheet.

:D:D:D

Niiiiiice. You know we’re getting old when the name Cunningham officially appears on Dice’s sheet.
We aren't getting older, they are just catching up.
It occurred to me that I must be when I was describing the talents of a young guy who works for me. He is closer to 40 than 30 and I was going through a laundry list of his positive attributes when I paused to summarize and I said he is really bright. He is just a really good kid.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Well, to be fair it really was pretty much just you with the angst.

Like it, but if folks were wondering where Facundo fits in, what about Kibe? Seems like there will need to be some serious greyshirt/redshirt juggling and mixing/matching.
Yeah, that's some legit angst right there. o_O:confused:

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT