ADVERTISEMENT

Trojan Wars

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Taking a look at Trojan war results while stuck at work. M2 dominated this one as well. Warrior run is very tough. I enjoy seeing public schools doing great. The Milheim’s are off to great starts. Their dad has been saying it was their time. He isn’t joking.

South Carroll won the event with only 10 wrestlers. BEA had a strong showing. Burgettstown really under performed with all the hype they were getting. Then they hire Sonny Abe. I can only imagine what their workouts will look like this week. PittBull style will be coming back.

Detar of trinity wins a tough bracket. He transferred from Cumberland valley this year. He beat a tough Max Tancini in the round of 16 and Will Yordy from Gettysburg. Detar is going to have a strong Fresh season. Is Trinity aa or aaa

Bainey gets to the finals and beats a tough Major Lewis in the semis. The Dolan kid from WV beats him in the finals. Dolan has also spent some time in the M2 room. Bainey is off to an impressive start.

M2’s Lucas Frye cruised to a title. I like this kid alot and he is often over looked. The kid just wins. He beat a tough Jackson rush in the finals.

Older Bainey pinned everyone into the finals. Then gets beat 3-1 but still an impressive week. Ulrich is another m2 guy who did well.

Reagan Milheim is going to be the best brother. He made the finals as a fresh. Lost to Owen from Md. Milheim beat the Corbin kid from vA in the semis.

Kaden Milheim makes the semis and loses to Jordon. He battled back for third.

Cameron Milheim has also into the semis and lost. He also battled back. Those d4 kids are tough.

M2’s dom Frontino gets it done. He knocked off top seed Rodrigues from Md.
Caleb Close wins a title for BEA. He won some wars along the way. Wrestling Quentin Wright definitely helps him

Ok

Reactions: Antaeus and danoftw
There are 2 Trinity High Schools in PA. The one near Pittsburgh is AAA. The one in Camp Hill is AA.

here are 2 Trinity High Schools in PA. The one near Pittsburgh is AAA. The one in Camp Hill is AA.
Shouldn't there be another to, you know, complete the trinity?

MV5BM2E1NGIwMjQtZjliMi00ZTQ1LWFjYzQtNWNlMjdiMGVlNzU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzNTE2NzQx._V1_UX200_CR0,0,200,200_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
No disrespect to Chambersburg which has done a nice job of making Trojan Wars into a tough tournament, but are you serious with your thread title???

You need to get out of D4 and or D6 more often. There's s a big wrestling world out there.

Taking a look at Trojan war results while stuck at work. M2 dominated this one as well. Warrior run is very tough. I enjoy seeing public schools doing great. The Milheim’s are off to great starts. Their dad has been saying it was their time. He isn’t joking.

South Carroll won the event with only 10 wrestlers. BEA had a strong showing. Burgettstown really under performed with all the hype they were getting. Then they hire Sonny Abe. I can only imagine what their workouts will look like this week. PittBull style will be coming back.

Detar of trinity wins a tough bracket. He transferred from Cumberland valley this year. He beat a tough Max Tancini in the round of 16 and Will Yordy from Gettysburg. Detar is going to have a strong Fresh season. Is Trinity aa or aaa

Bainey gets to the finals and beats a tough Major Lewis in the semis. The Dolan kid from WV beats him in the finals. Dolan has also spent some time in the M2 room. Bainey is off to an impressive start.

M2’s Lucas Frye cruised to a title. I like this kid alot and he is often over looked. The kid just wins. He beat a tough Jackson rush in the finals.

Older Bainey pinned everyone into the finals. Then gets beat 3-1 but still an impressive week. Ulrich is another m2 guy who did well.

Reagan Milheim is going to be the best brother. He made the finals as a fresh. Lost to Owen from Md. Milheim beat the Corbin kid from vA in the semis.

Kaden Milheim makes the semis and loses to Jordon. He battled back for third.

Cameron Milheim has also into the semis and lost. He also battled back. Those d4 kids are tough.

M2’s dom Frontino gets it done. He knocked off top seed Rodrigues from Md.
Caleb Close wins a title for BEA. He won some wars along the way. Wrestling Quentin Wright definitely helps him

Ok

This is how some of the better D4 teams finished at Powerade:

22. Montoursville
30. Muncy
32. Williamsport
37. Benton

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Should we show him how D7 and D11 do at states every year? M2 is great and it’s definitely shifting some, but come on here.

Relax everyone! It got you all reading this. I was at Powerade to watch Benton and the other D4 kids. Of course I know which is better but my point is Trojan wars is creating a good event.

Here is a question for you all-

Is AA closing the gap with AAA with the birth of Faith, McDevitt and Mcort?

Relax everyone! It got you all reading this. I was at Powerade to watch Benton and the other D4 kids. Of course I know which is better but my point is Trojan wars is creating a good event.

No. The very top of AA has always been at least competitive individually with AAA. It's just depth. One or two new teams doesn't make a dent in that.

I agree, the depth will be hard to overturn, how about the top three in AA vs Top three in AAA. Is that closer now.

Seems like some wrestlers made moves/transferred to AA schools, avoiding AAA states.

Dice- how does ETR and Powerade compare? I would those two are very close competition wise.

I agree, the depth will be hard to overturn, how about the top three in AA vs Top three in AAA. Is that closer now.

Seems like some wrestlers made moves/transferred to AA schools, avoiding AAA states.
I don't think the top 3 have been far apart - ever. You can do it every year, probably a slight edge to AAA but not a chasm.

Is it easier to get on the podium in AA? Yes, clearly. Is it easier to get to a state final in AA? Probably, but it may depend on the weight class. I don't see much change in that over the years.

Reactions: Sullivan
Also, you seem obsessed with the new "super" teams popping up - especially Faith, McCort to a lesser degree - like it is something new going on.

This has been going on for decades. The names change but the game remains the same.
I don’t remember any Super Teams like Faith academy in the last 20 years coming together that quick. Maybe Northampton and Easton in the 90’s or Franklin, Becca or Canon mac in the 2000’s. I still think Faith is going to be better.

McDevitt and Mcort aren’t super teams. They each have a few good guys and nothing else. I don’t think either would fill a full team. They are far from super teams imo.

Reactions: PerryLion1997
I don’t remember any Super Teams like Faith in the last 20 years coming together that quick. Maybe Northampton and Easton in the 90’s r Franklin or Canon mac in the 2000’s. I still think Faith is going to be better.

McDevitt and Mcort aren’t super teams. They each have a few good guys and nothing else. I don’t think either would fill a full team. They are far from super teams imo.
Do you think Faith will be better than some of the D11 teams in the 90s that were #1 in the country? Good luck with that.

Definitely will be comparable
We'll see. I think I told you to reign it in this summer when you were declaring they would lay waste to AA this year, but it took a few months to get you on board with that.

Can they be a top 10 team in the country over the next few years? Yeah, probably. But we've had plenty of teams in PA do that. Are they going to threaten Blair or Sem anytime soon? I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: BrockBronson
We'll see. I think I told you to reign it in this summer when you were declaring they would lay waste to AA this year, but it took a few months to get you on board with that.

Can they be a top 10 team in the country over the next few years? Yeah, probably. But we've had plenty of teams in PA do that. Are they going to threaten Blair or Sem anytime soon? I seriously doubt it.
Reign it in! Lol.
They will win AA starting next year. NDGP just adds a clear cut State Champion with Bouzakis which will help them win another state title.

When the D11 back in the day were top 3-5,,, Blair and Sem weren’t nearly as good as they are now. I’m my opinion.

I don’t remember any Super Teams like Faith academy in the last 20 years coming together that quick. Maybe Northampton and Easton in the 90’s or Franklin, Becca or Canon mac in the 2000’s. I still think Faith is going to be better.

Listen man, you follow these kids at this age very heavily so it’s easy to digest these top teams are better. Faith can be very good, that’s wonderful. So were Blair, St Ed’s, etc. forever. They plucked PA kids. The difference now more so is that non-PA kids are coming in at a little more cadence. As Iowa fans say to us, wrestling didn’t get invented in the 2010s, certaintly really good kids in PA at top teams didn’t get start in 2022.

Franklin Regional was going to get rid of wrestling. They did ok after Nico.

Reign it in! Lol.
They will win AA starting next year. NDGP just adds a clear cut State Champion with Bouzakis which will help them win another state title.

When the D11 back in the day were top 3-5,,, Blair and Sem weren’t nearly as good as they are now. I’m my opinion.
You are out of your mind. Totally lost it.

Watch this video on repeat until you regain reasonableness.

There are 2 Trinity High Schools in PA. The one near Pittsburgh is AAA. The one in Camp Hill is AA.
I can only remember the AAA version, then again I have been trying to forget for decades. A state champ named Dan Oliverio made pretty quick work of me. He had a twin brother almost as good as I recall who made quick work of one of the other kids on our team as well.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
L
You are out of your mind. Totally lost it.

Watch this video on repeat until you regain reasonableness.

Led by the late Gus DeAugustino, who my friend from J.P. McCaskey still holds a grudge against for 'telling his wrestler to stay down after an "illegal' slam thereby "costing his team" a state championship.'

Also the brother of my late teacher and coach, Steve DeAugustino, whom seemed universally liked by all who ever met him.

West Mifflin North regularly wrestled North Allegheny.

DeAugustino brothers are PA and Lock Haven wrestling royalty.

No question D4 runs AA. AAA is D7 and D11.
One argument, Waynesburg is a AA school and would have dominated for awhile. In the 90s/early 2000s, McGuffey was a AA school. Both D7 programs. Both school chose to wrestle up in AAA. Burrell people don’t like to hear this.

One argument, Waynesburg is a AA school and would have dominated for awhile. In the 90s/early 2000s, McGuffey was a AA school. Both D7 programs. Both school chose to wrestle up in AAA. Burrell people don’t like to hear this.
Could you imagine. Waynesburg is a force in AAA.
I think BEA did the same thing. They had some tough teams 15-20 years ago.

I think Clearfield is going to shock some AA trams this year. They were AAA for years and now dropped down. Are have a rich tradition in wrestling.

Reactions: therod
Do you think Faith will be better than some of the D11 teams in the 90s that were #1 in the country? Good luck with that.
It’s different to compare. You look at like, the Easton team that finished #2 in 2002 and took 6 from Blair in a dual, beat St. Ed’s handily, won Reno with Great Bridge - all is those other top 5ish teams were still pretty local. Blair had Perry from Oklahoma, but the rest of the roster was pretty much New Jersey kids. You didn’t have to be “as good” to be nationally ranked, but those national rankings were also reflections of what a lot of people think of as more traditionally built HS teams.

That Easton roster had two state champs, three in finals, and looking forward had one future All American (a freshman on that roster), four other NCAA qualifiers, two D2 All Americans, and an FBS football player. That’s obviously a lot of talent - but I don’t know how well that stacks up to #2 teams nationally over the last decade or so as we’ve seen extreme talent consolidation amongst the top programs. And for those of you wondering - I count three transfers.

Similarly, when Northampton was #1 in 1993, I think they had one state champ and medaled 4 at states. They romped through Virgins Duals, but I think if you put them guy-for-guy with the Blair’s and Sems of the last few years, it’s not close. That’s not to take anything away from them - it’s a totally difference in eras and how teams were built. And I don’t think that team had a transfer - Whitey came in the next year, which was kind of Typhoid Mary of D11 wrestling transfers.

Reactions: danoftw
It’s different to compare. You look at like, the Easton team that finished #2 in 2002 and took 6 from Blair in a dual, beat St. Ed’s handily, won Reno with Great Bridge - all is those other top 5ish teams were still pretty local. Blair had Perry from Oklahoma, but the rest of the roster was pretty much New Jersey kids. You didn’t have to be “as good” to be nationally ranked, but those national rankings were also reflections of what a lot of people think of as more traditionally built HS teams.

That Easton roster had two state champs, three in finals, and looking forward had one future All American (a freshman on that roster), four other NCAA qualifiers, two D2 All Americans, and an FBS football player. That’s obviously a lot of talent - but I don’t know how well that stacks up to #2 teams nationally over the last decade or so as we’ve seen extreme talent consolidation amongst the top programs. And for those of you wondering - I count three transfers.

Similarly, when Northampton was #1 in 1993, I think they had one state champ and medaled 4 at states. They romped through Virgins Duals, but I think if you put them guy-for-guy with the Blair’s and Sems of the last few years, it’s not close. That’s not to take anything away from them - it’s a totally difference in eras and how teams were built. And I don’t think that team had a transfer - Whitey came in the next year, which was kind of Typhoid Mary of D11 wrestling transfers.
If I recall correctly, Northampton had very few state champs that wrestled for their junior high team.

If I recall correctly, Northampton had very few state champs that wrestled for their junior high team.
Yeah, but that all came after ‘93, which was their highest national ranking. Northampton certainly got a lot of kids (though, judging from my handle, this is an obvious glass houses situation) but it most came after the national champions year.

Although looking at their champs on pa-wrestling, I think it’s just Whitey, Hard, and McCallum who were transfer champs (with Whitey and McCallum only at Northampton for their senior seasons). Christian Luciano is the one I don’t remember. But the Ecklofs, Haines, Oplinger, Tomsic, Billy, Liberto, all I think were KKids through and through.

I think that is the norm in a lot of these older school and public school transfer situations - their true studs tend to be homegrown kids, and it’s a couple kids come in on the margins as medalist, state qualifier types who end up filling out good lineups. And how far back are we looking for transfers? I always hear about Seth Lisa as a transfer to Northampton, but I think he moved in 5th grade.

I think Clearfield is going to shock some AA trams this year. They were AAA for years and now dropped down. Are have a rich tradition in wrestling.
Bald Eagle did the same under Dick Rhoades. They were a AA team that wrestled up for years and finished 1999 as the #1 ranked team in the country and they were all home grown. Absolutely amazing accomplishment by that team.

Bald Eagle did the same under Dick Rhoades. They were a AA team that wrestled up for years and finished 1999 as the #1 ranked team in the country and they were all home grown. Absolutely amazing accomplishment by that team.
Key words Home Grown. That was a great team

They beat the McGuffey team in the semis which came down to heavyweight. There was a very controversial call at 112 that could have swung that match. Again all homegrown kids for McGuffey. BEA won the next round in the finals by shutout.

I also will throw in an argument today vs. yesteryear, someone told me at a New Years party a D7 championship between Canon Mac and McGuffey had 13 decisions. I think there were 5-6 eventual state champs in that dual and numerous state placers/qualifiers. The point being, there is 0 depth now. While these top schools are way more concentrated, I would agree, the programs from top to bottom and the level of kids in totality isn’t even remotely close. So it’s easier to be elite. To have 13 decisions when the talent is so high there makes this point.

Full disclosure, I don’t know if that 13 decisions is accurate, but I’m not going to let that get in the way of a good point. I saw that guy fish out IPAs for 5 hours.

Reactions: BrockBronson

McDevitt isn't even gunna win its own district so I'd say no 👎 they have 3-4 state medalists on the team and none of them would win AAA except the heavyweight, maybe. So no the gap isn't really closing because a few private schools got a good recruiting class or two.

Waynesburg over the years has gotten a bunch of kids that "moved" into the school district, they should stay up in AAA

Reactions: El-Jefe

RoverNation,
What year did you attend Easton?
I graduated in 78.

Jeff

Waynesburg over the years has gotten a bunch of kids that "moved" into the school district, they should stay up in AAA
Beat me to it. Waynesburg has had a bunch of out-of-state transfers too -- offhand as many as Beca + NDGP combined. And unlike Beca and NDGP getting kids from neighboring NJ, Waynesburg got kids from across the Mississippi River.

Beat me to it. Waynesburg has had a bunch of out-of-state transfers too -- offhand as many as Beca + NDGP combined. And unlike Beca and NDGP getting kids from neighboring NJ, Waynesburg got kids from across the Mississippi River.
Henson had ties to neighboring Morgantown, WV. What are the other ones?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT