ADVERTISEMENT

TV alert at 7 tonight MBB PSU vs Maryland on BTN

Teams tend to stop taking it to the hoop when they get mugged without a call. If you know your shot is going to be altered, because you are hacked, you sometimes take a chance with an uncontested jumper. Terrible non-charge on MD, with about 6 minutes left. BTN announcers were not much better than the refs. Barely even acknowledged the disparity in fouls.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Teams tend to stop taking it to the hoop when they get mugged without a call. If you know your shot is going to be altered, because you are hacked, you sometimes take a chance with an uncontested jumper. Terrible non-charge on MD, with about 6 minutes left. BTN announcers were not much better than the refs. Barely even acknowledged the disparity in fouls.

The non charge call and not calling over the back when their dude went through Carr were game changing type calls. I can take the disparity in free throws to a point but when our guys are clearly in position and get run over, they have to get some of those calls. Stephens being mugged underneath where they had to review who the ball went off of was another bad one. They couldn't rule the ball was out on Maryland because the Maryland players only hit his arms.. I do think we can be more decisive and go to the basket stronger to get more calls.. Watkins should pretty much always be trying to rip the rim down.

Reactions: johnmpsu
This was the typical PSU hoops game for me. Forget they are playing, stumble across the game half way through the second half surprised they are leading, watch the other team go on a run, record the remainder in case of a miracle and switch to something more interesting. Tonight it was Season 3 of Silicon Valley on demand. Then I check my phone for a miracle and, when that didn't happen, delete the recording. I can take a fair amount of disappointment, but watching PSU hoops is self-torture.

This was the typical PSU hoops game for me. Forget they are playing, stumble across the game half way through the second half surprised they are leading, watch the other team go on a run, record the remainder in case of a miracle and switch to something more interesting. Tonight it was Season 3 of Silicon Valley on demand. Then I check my phone for a miracle and, when that didn't happen, delete the recording. I can take a fair amount of disappointment, but watching PSU hoops is self-torture.

Agree

This was a disgusting display of home cooking. Turgeon knew he got a favorable whistle and said his team deserved it. Id ask, did he payoff the officials. Watkins first travel call was a hard foul from behind on the arm. Carr got mugged every drive to the hole, no call. Hi many times on a box out PSU players were pushed under the basket by MD players on rebounds. Their point guard ran over Step when he was camped out in front of the basket. You can't hide this bias Delany! You bought and paid for this crap.

I find it amusing how I read on this board that the BB team stinks and then I read that we SHOULD beat Maryland at Maryland. Which is it? Do they stink or are they good enough to beat a storied program in their house.

I think the team is vastly improved but still young. I hope they win today. At least I'm certain they will compete.

Awesome! Year 3 of Chambers rebuild should be great haha.

Last edited:
I've watched all their games for years. I see improvement every year but keep my expectations realistic. I think the people calling for Chambers head are the ones who don't watch the games.

I think they can win this game. I hope they do, but I'd never say they should win. Not yet but soon.

Pathetic perspective really but it’s your right to set the bar as low as necessary to get you through a Penn State basketball season

Can someone just please explain to me why our teams basketball IQ appears to be on par with that of a rock?

Why in the world, when numerous Maryland players have been struggling to make free throws, would you allow their best free throw shooter a clear path to receive the inbound pass.....and then you IMMEDIATELY FOUL HIM.

Bostick was knocked to the ground by a moving pick (which they called on PSU to start the game BTW), that's why the guy was open. He immediately got up and looked at the ref, but no call. After that they had no choice but to foul the guy with the ball.
The one that got me was when Shep was called for the block. The announcer immediately said he must not have got his set. Repaly then clearly shows his feet were set, and then the announcer says that it was a blocking foul because the defender hit him in the shoulder and not the chest (ie, Garner had his feet set too long).

Hey that's what I do...... I thought I was the only one. I do it with a lot of sports though :)

I've watched all their games for years. I see improvement every year but keep my expectations realistic. I think the people calling for Chambers head are the ones who don't watch the games.

I think they can win this game. I hope they do, but I'd never say they should win. Not yet but soon.
So PSU's record after 16 games the seven seasons PC has been head coach (with ranked opponents):

2011-12: 9-7 (1-2), Kentucky, Michigan
2012-13: 8-8 (0-4), NC State, IU
2013-14: 9-7 (0-3), MSU
2014-15: 12-4 (0-3), Wisconisn
2015-16: 10-6 (1-2), Maryland
2016-17: 9-7 (1-2), Duke, Cincinnatti
2017-18: 11-5 (1-2), TAM

It appears the only time he has double-digit wins after 16 games is when they've only played one ranked team. I'm really looking for improvement with these stats, but see a team with markedly more talent and similar results. I really am hoping he proves me wrong the rest of the season, but I'm done trying to get excited about this team/program.

Reactions: Nit16
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT