ADVERTISEMENT

US Senior Nationals

So: does Mirasola the Smaller slot right in at 197 for us next season?

The kid looks the part. He’ll have the best 86kg partners and coaches he could imagine.

Reactions: hlstone
So: does Mirasola the Smaller slot right in at 197 for us next season?

The kid looks the part. He’ll have the best 86kg partners and coaches he could imagine.
He would be our best option but no, needs significant mat work. Struggled against Sinclair on that front at WNO. Also imagine he wants to be in a lineup going back to back with his brother (Kerk is returning) Guessing it'll either be a portal addition or Donovan Ball/Lucas Cochran.

He would be our best option but no, needs significant mat work. Struggled against Sinclair on that front at WNO. Also imagine he wants to be in a lineup going back to back with his brother (Kerk is returning) Guessing it'll either be a portal addition or Donovan Ball/Lucas Cochran.
In which case it would probably be Cochran. Ball does have 1 year left but has graduated and wasn't planning to return -- so him returning again next year seems unlikely.

Cochran could be an adequate starter, but I suspect the coaches will be shopping in the portal. We likely won't have much team title margin next year after losing Starocci, Brooks, Truax, and maybe Bartlett.

Reactions: Ja1339
In which case it would probably be Cochran. Ball does have 1 year left but has graduated and wasn't planning to return -- so him returning again next year seems unlikely.

Cochran could be an adequate starter, but I suspect the coaches will be shopping in the portal. We likely won't have much team title margin next year after losing Starocci, Brooks, Truax, and maybe Bartlett.
Brooks yes but I have a feeling Barr will be quite a fine replacement for Truax. Bartlett I think stated he plans to wrestle out his eligibility. Also if (I hate jinxing) Starocci wins 4 this year, I say keep an eye out of him.

Brooks yes but I have a feeling Barr will be quite a fine replacement for Truax. Bartlett I think stated he plans to wrestle out his eligibility. Also if (I hate jinxing) Starocci wins 4 this year, I say keep an eye out of him.
I like Barr but there will likely be some dropoff, unless he is ready to finish top 3 next year.

And if Carter becomes open to returning (despite everything he's said for a long time): the coaches aren't going to wait for him to change his mind, before making a decision about going portal for 197.

I like Barr but there will likely be some dropoff, unless he is ready to finish top 3 next year.

And if Carter becomes open to returning (despite everything he's said for a long time): the coaches aren't going to wait for him to change his mind, before making a decision about going portal for 197.
I think the portal is independent of what Carter will do.

I think he will be ready to finish Top 3 next year seeing how he was beating Top 12 opponents a month into his college career and he is nowhere close to a finished product.

Reactions: Ja1339
He has said he’d come back if they could arrange a match in beaver stadium. Kraft needs to get working on that ASAP…LOL.

I think Beau returns but like Kasak/Evans to score meaningful points if he doesn’t.

We’ll have some combination of Barr, Facundo, Sealey, Ryder, Fricchione, Cochran and Mirasola available at 174, 184 and 197. Mirasola in particular looks like someone that might contend as a true freshman.

Prob portal shopping at 285.

And what if Carter returns?

What are the odds that Cassioppi would lose to Schultz? Do you think he took too much of a gamble in going down in weight? I think he would have been better off staying up at 125kg and just playing the hand he was dealt.
Cass ran out of gass. Looked good until the final minute.

Connor Misarola leading Max 3-0 early. Geez. Hard to believe how good the wrestling is in high school these days. Now 5-0. Sorry; not early. It’s 2nd period. WowYikesWhoa! TD Dean 5-2 Mirasola. Counter TD And turn by Dean and it’s 6-5 Max with 19 secs to go. Mirasola off whistle scores 4!!!! No freaking way! Mirasola over Dean 9-6. You have got to be kidding me!
@GogglesPaizano still not impressed

Reactions: mcpat
Change to mat 1 and Spencer leg lace is up 10-1. TD Spencer wins 12-1. Brick thrown. No time on clock at end of period 1. No TD. 10-1 Spencer at break.

Rodriquez has a single but Spencer kicks out. Spencer TD wins 12-1.

Bartlett vs McKenna

McKenna taking ground early. Step out. 1-0 McKenna. Beau continues to wrestle backed up. Warned. McKenna faking and Beau reacting, Beau on shot clock. Beau in deep on a single. TD to back is four for Beau! 4-1 Beau. That was pretty. McKenna in on a single. Gets step out. 4-2 Beau at the break.

Beau front headlock. McKenna grounded on pushout. Still 4-2. Beau continues to wrestle backed up. Step out on McKenna shot and it’s 4-3. Beau gets behind on McKenna shot. Can’t break tripod but gets step out. 5-3 Beau. Step out for McKenna and it’s 5-4. Step out makes it 5-5. Beau wins on criteria!!!

Basing purely on last years score a third place would require a team score greater than 64. If you split the teams (Brooks, Beau, Truax, Nagao= 65) and (Carter, Kerk, Haines= 61) which would require Messenbrink, Kasak, Davis, etc to score 3.5 points to have 2 top 3 teams.

I understand this is last years stats and it creates 2 upper level tournament teams at the expense of a dominant team but it is possible.
It’s not that hard to find two teams that are in the run when you have:
Nagao
BB
Haines
Messenbrink
Carter
Truax
AB
Kerk
Averaging 20 points ( at least three of our guys are scoring crazy bonus points in March) That’s 80 points per team plus our bench scoring a little. Plus both teams are training in our room coached by our staff. They will be peaking. Just saying

Reactions: mcpat
That was too dam close. Jesus Beau!
Public Works Water GIF by US National Archives

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Facundo vs Marinelli

I expect Alex to win.

Marinelli winning the push game early. Facundo warned. Facundo on clock. Double unders Marinelli. 1-0 as clock expires. They trade shots. Kind of. 1-0 Marinelli at the break. Marinelli was in on a single at end of period.

Marinelli winning the ground location game. Backing Facundo up. Lateral drop by Marinelli. 5-0 Marinelli. It was impressive. He had Facundo at edge then used Facundo pushing back to throw him. Step out and it’s 6-0 Marinelli. 6-0 is the final. All Marinelli in that one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT