ADVERTISEMENT

US Senior Nationals

BB gets a great win in the semis without really taking any risks. His style is really starting to show how much he has learned in that room over the years. You can't get him out of his center. Yes he is not a classic PSU bonus machine but he has the poise and the wrestling IQ of a Mark Hall. The finals will tell us a lot.

BB gets a great win in the semis without really taking any risks. His style is really starting to show how much he has learned in that room over the years. You can't get him out of his center. Yes he is not a classic PSU bonus machine but he has the poise and the wrestling IQ of a Mark Hall. The finals will tell us a lot.
Not everyone has Nolf’s style, but I’ll take a Mark Hall Lite any day and be grateful!

As a fan of another team, I don't follow quite as closely as most of you. From my view, I think BB is the most improved wrestler on your team the last few years.

Last edited:
Yeah - and he’s not as good as he is now if he hadn’t stayed and trained here. But I get the idea of going somewhere else in your last year to start one year and see how high you can place.
He said that he would go somewhere else except that if he did, he would miss watching everyone beat Nico in the room.

86kg Olympic team trials will have at least 5 past ,current or future Nittany Lions. DT, Brooks, Hall, Dean and Mirasola. Dean and Mirasola are all but guaranteed a spot as McFadden suffered a nasty ankle injury in his semi against Dieringer and is almost certain to forfeit out.

As a fan of another team I don't follow quite as closely as most of you. From my view, I think BB is the most improved wrestler on your team the last few years.
Granted BB has definately improved but you cant really go by the year he was wrestling up at 149.

I'm excited to watch Ryder. Have a good feeling about him
Admittedly irresponsible specilation on my part, but I agree whole hartedly, with the thought. Hence, eventually, Barr is probably the odd man out for 2-3 years, even with red shirts. Facundo 174, Ryder 184, Marisola 197.

As a fan of another team I don't follow quite as closely as most of you. From my view, I think BB is the most improved wrestler on your team the last few years.
He was pretty honest in an interview this summer about the PSU room really breaking him early on. Said he considered quitting. He didn’t get a takedown for months. He was getting ragdolled by a stud (maybe Zain? Lee?). Some guys deal with that process better than others. Some guys find it really hard to go from being a HS All American to being 0-October in the room.

He was pretty honest in an interview this summer about the PSU room really breaking him early on. Said he considered quitting. He didn’t get a takedown for months. He was getting ragdolled by a stud (maybe Zain? Lee?). Some guys deal with that process better than others. Some guys find it really hard to go from being a HS All American to being 0-October in the room.

Same with CStar about not getting a takedown for months in the room. He turned out pretty well.

Reactions: PASLP2
What about Barraclough at 174 next year? He and Alex could potentially wrestle for 3rd at 74 kgs today. That could tell us a lot.

What about Barraclough at 174 next year? He and Alex could potentially wrestle for 3rd at 74 kgs today. That could tell us a lot.
They already wrestled earlier in this tournament in the 3rd round. It was a very close match, and the next one could go either way.

A.Facundo DEC T. Barraclough 3-2

Last edited:
Admittedly irresponsible specilation on my part, but I agree whole hartedly, with the thought. Hence, eventually, Barr is probably the odd man out for 2-3 years, even with red shirts. Facundo 174, Ryder 184, Marisola 197.
Facundo will be a very small 174.
I was talking to a guy who is very involved with Michigan HS wrestling, and he doesn't think Alex is big enough for 174. But I guess we will see.
He actually started the conversation with, "where do you think Facundo will transfer to next year?" - not starting any rumors as he was mostly joking around and giving me shit as he is a big UM fan.

Reactions: hlstone

I was talking to a guy who is very involved with Michigan HS wrestling, and he doesn't think Alex is big enough for 174. But I guess we will see.
He actually started the conversation with, "where do you think Facundo will transfer to next year?" - not starting any rumors as he was mostly joking around and giving me shit as he is a big UM fan.

Even if Facundo was too small for 174, which I don't believe, there's still the possibility that he'd have a place, at least for next year. IF the rumor is true that Messenbrink is likely slated for 157 next year, Haines still has a redshirt available and Facundo could wrestle 165 at least for a year before needing to either bump up to 174 or think about something else. I like Facundo a lot and think the criticism that he received after a couple of bad tournaments last year was really unfair.

Last edited:
Facundo wrestled his last 2 years of HS at 171. How small could he be at 174?

Consolation matches (our guys):

Lilledahl vs Deshaver consi semifinal
Rodriquez vs Cronin consi semifinal
Facundo vs Berger consi semifinal
Barraclough vs Jacques consi semifinal
Sealey vs LaVallee for 7th
Mirasola vs Wick consi semifinal
Dean vs McFadden consi semifinal

Facundo wrestled his last 2 years of HS at 171. How small could he be at 174?
One could argue that his frame is better suited for 174 than Carter. He is definitely long and lean. The only real question is can he put on the 'good' weight in a year? Optimally his walking around weight should be near 180 to be properly sized.

There was a time in college where I routinely ate large pizzas all by myself, would order 4-5 burgers everytime I hit Arby's or McDonalds, and I couldn't gain an ounce. I suspect if needed the nutritionists will have a solid plan. Protein shakes 3x/day... They got Cassar up there just fine and look at him now. He was 20 lbs above his natural weight.

All of the talk of MM to 157 next year may have merit, but I don't practically see Levi shirting 2 years into his career.

The most logical scenario is Facundo needs to figure a way to 174.

One could argue that his frame is better suited for 174 than Carter. He is definitely long and lean. The only real question is can he put on the 'good' weight in a year? Optimally his walking around weight should be near 180 to be properly sized.

There was a time in college where I routinely ate large pizzas all by myself, would order 4-5 burgers everytime I hit Arby's or McDonalds, and I couldn't gain an ounce. I suspect if needed the nutritionists will have a solid plan. Protein shakes 3x/day... They got Cassar up there just fine and look at him now. He was 20 lbs above his natural weight.

All of the talk of MM to 157 next year may have merit, but I don't practically see Levi shirting 2 years into his career.

The most logical scenario is Facundo needs to figure a way to 174.
He’s not going to start any such plan until after his freestyle season is over, however. 74kg or bust for now.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Barraclough is lanky & he looks better at 165 than 157, to me. He seems to have jumped another level this year too. Maybe he could keep moving up & be in the picture at 174 next year?
Well one thing seems certain. That is one kid who is committed and had not placed limits on himself. How can you not be impressed with what he has accomplished? I don't know where his ceiling is, and it seems neither does anyone else.

McKenna over DeSanto 9-5. McKenna to 3rd place match; DeSanto to 5th place match

Reactions: danoftw
Shot clock point has Berger up 1-0 on Facundo at the break.

Facundo feet to back over head elevator type throw defending a Berger shot makes it 4-1 Facundo in 2nd.

Facundo wins 4-1.

Berger was in Final X last year and two of our backups (I think Facundo is a backup this year) beat him in this tournament.

Joining Barraclough vs Jacques and it’s 2-0 Barraclough at the break. Looks like a shot clock point so I assume also a step out.

Barraclough doing the early shooting in 2nd period. And then they put him on shot clock. I’ll never understand passivity in freestyle. 2-1 after clock expires. Jacques in deep. Gets an exposure in the scramble. It’s 3-2 Jacques. Under a minute to go. Barraclough in on a single. OOB. No points. Damn. Thought he was going to score there. Jacques over Barraclough 3-2.

It’ll be Facundo vs Jacques for 3rd and Batraclough vs Berger for 5th (and final trials qualifying spot).

Dean FFT win over McFadden. Ankle injury they say.

Rolling right into 3rd and 5th place matches it sounds like. Top 5 qualify

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT