ADVERTISEMENT

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Alphabets

Feb 4, 2014
Big game tonight. Not a lock by any means, but definitely a game that the U.S. can win and should win in Seattle. Expecting 60k in the stands.

C'mon!!!!

Reactions: LionJim and bmw199
I would have liked to see Pulisic crack the lineup with Yedlin's attacking presence out. we got the 12th man though...

Yes, Besler at LB does make me a bit nervous, hope we can get an early goal to settle the side. Being in Seattle is a huge plus.

So far the team is playing fast. I like what I am seeing. Aggressive.

Brooks has taken his game to a new level. He reminds me a lot of Gooch in his prime, but Brooks' ceiling is so much higher.

Still don't quite get why Jurgen doesn't go with Cameron on the outside, keeping Fabian on the left and putting Besler in the center. Cameron has a lot more experience playing on the outside in this type of environment. (then again, I've wondered about a lot of the lineup/roster decisions over the past few years, but winning sure hides those issues)

Brooks has taken his game to a new level. He reminds me a lot of Gooch in his prime, but Brooks' ceiling is so much higher.

Still don't quite get why Jurgen doesn't go with Cameron on the outside, keeping Fabian on the left and putting Besler in the center. Cameron has a lot more experience playing on the outside in this type of environment. (then again, I've wondered about a lot of the lineup/roster decisions over the past few years, but winning sure hides those issues)
I think simply bc the Cameron/Brooks pairing in the center has been so good he just doesn't want to disrupt it. Can't blame him, they've been fantastic.

Bradley -- outside one very dangerous turnover -- had played an excellent game thus far. Bedoya on the other hand.......

USA hangs on for the 2-1 victory. It was a real struggle, but we advance to the semis for the first time since 1995.

Bedoya, Woods, and Jones out for the semi. Bedoya and Woods for 2 accumulated yellows in the COPA America (1 previously and 1 2nite), and Jones for receiving the red 2nite.

Woods is a huge loss. Jones played very well 2nite, and as such will be an absence. Bedoya has been inconsistent in the COPA, but I suspect he'll be missed.

Bedoya, Woods, and Jones out for the semi. Bedoya and Woods for 2 accumulated yellows in the COPA America (1 previously and 1 2nite), and Jones for receiving the red 2nite.

Woods is a huge loss. Jones played very well 2nite, and as such will be an absence. Bedoya has been inconsistent in the COPA, but I suspect he'll be missed.
Who would you go with? Nagbe, Pulisic, and Beckerman? I will not be pleased to see Wondolowski...

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Who would you go with? Nagbe, Pulisic, and Beckerman? I will not be pleased to see Wondolowski...
I think Nagbe and Zusi are in for sure for Jones and Bedoya. I'm not sure what they do to replace wood.

If Argentina wins, I'd look for us to go more defensive and hopefully try to clog the midfield. I'm thinking something like a 4-5-1 with...

----------------------------Guzan--------------------------------
Yedlin-------The Berlin Wall----Cameron----F Johnson
--------------Beckerman-------Bradley-----------------------
---------Zusi-------------Nagbe----------------Zardes---------
---------------------------Dempsey------------------------------

I know that Bradley seems to have more success further up the field, but if Jurgen isn't willing to break up Cameron/Brooks, then I think it's our best bet. If it was my decision, I'd pair Besler with Brooks, move Cameron into a defensive midfield role with Beckerman, and have Bradley play an attacking-mid role.

You either decide to play fast with confidence against Argentina or they will pick you apart no matter what. Fortunately Jurgen understands this and has this team clicking. I am anxious to see the Semi final match.

If Bradley insists on always reviewing the landscape and then turning and passing backward he is going to get robbed. The Argentines will expose that type of play time and again. They will press forward fullbacks just to pressure him and counter attack. clogging the midfield is a bad strategy, taking it to them is in my mind the way to attack Argentina.

You either decide to play fast with confidence against Argentina or they will pick you apart no matter what. Fortunately Jurgen understands this and has this team clicking. I am anxious to see the Semi final match.

If Bradley insists on always reviewing the landscape and then turning and passing backward he is going to get robbed. The Argentines will expose that type of play time and again. They will press forward fullbacks just to pressure him and counter attack. clogging the midfield is a bad strategy, taking it to them is in my mind the way to attack Argentina.

I want to go to this match so badly and I if I was still in NOLA I would be booking my hotel right now. Oh well, Bradley has been giving the ball away at bad times for a while now. Great effort player with a ton of heart, but his touch and decision making at times drives me nuts. If you are going back, you ensure that pass is safe of clear it wide as a last resort. I don't mind the passes that are ambitious when attacking, but these bad passes in their own third of the field are too frequent for me. It won't get any easier for him, but I too expect this US team to put up a ton of effort on Tuesday night. You cannot question their heart as they all were working back and defending the last 2 matches and the results keep coming.

If Argentina wins, I'd look for us to go more defensive and hopefully try to clog the midfield. I'm thinking something like a 4-5-1 with...

----------------------------Guzan--------------------------------
Yedlin-------The Berlin Wall----Cameron----F Johnson
--------------Beckerman-------Bradley-----------------------
---------Zusi-------------Nagbe----------------Zardes---------
---------------------------Dempsey------------------------------

I know that Bradley seems to have more success further up the field, but if Jurgen isn't willing to break up Cameron/Brooks, then I think it's our best bet. If it was my decision, I'd pair Besler with Brooks, move Cameron into a defensive midfield role with Beckerman, and have Bradley play an attacking-mid role.

I think what is a strong possibility is with Yedlin coming back a back line of Yedline/Brooks/Cameron/Besler and move Johnson up to mid field with Bradley. Let Johnson push more forward with the offense and create (which is a strong suit for him) and Bradley hang back more with the back line. Just what I am hearing no idea if it's true.

What are your thoughts on the damage done to the lineup without these guys? My thoughts: I'm worried most about losing Woods, he was kickin' it last night. I disagree on Jones and don't think he played well at all. Bedoya looks like he could benefit the team most by taking a break. Looks worn out.

What are your thoughts on the damage done to the lineup without these guys? My thoughts: I'm worried most about losing Woods, he was kickin' it last night. I disagree on Jones and don't think he played well at all. Bedoya looks like he could benefit the team most by taking a break. Looks worn out.

Jones is a card a game for the most part as he has never had any emotional control. He knew the card was coming last night and had to throw his 2 cents in. I love his effort on the field, but I cannot stand just pure mental breakdowns by a "professional".

Reactions: LionJim and bmw199
I think what is a strong possibility is with Yedlin coming back a back line of Yedline/Brooks/Cameron/Besler and move Johnson up to mid field with Bradley. Let Johnson push more forward with the offense and create (which is a strong suit for him) and Bradley hang back more with the back line. Just what I am hearing no idea if it's true.
Yeah, that might be the way he goes. I don't want to see Beckman on the field, but it might happen.

They might try to have one or both of the Wood yellow and Jones red rescinded. I think even though Jones never contacted him the stupidity of it warrants the call. I can see Wood having a case though as play never should have restarted while players were still exiting the field. Probably US soccer would lose both but worth a try, especially for Wood.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...maine-jones-suspension-appeal-red-yellow-card

They might try to have one or both of the Wood yellow and Jones red rescinded. I think even though Jones never contacted him the stupidity of it warrants the call. I can see Wood having a case though as play never should have restarted while players were still exiting the field.

What I bolded isn't all that valid, IMHO. A red card is usually reserved for a serious incident, or a situation where it's pretty much mandated by the rules. Jones's action would not even warrant a yellow in most games. The new FIFA rules do warrant a red IF Jones struck the face of Arroyo. I didn't think he did so in real time, and the slo-motion replays didn't seem to show him touching the face.

Klinsmann has reason to be mad about the call, but not for the reasons quoted in the article you linked. The referee can't see everything. The 2 ARs and the 4th official are trained to communicate to the ref any cardable actions they observe that they feel the ref could not see.

IMHO, Wood has a far weaker case. While play should not have been restarted until Jones had exited the field, it had, so by FIFA rules anything that takes place once play is started is valid. Woods's foul was pretty dumb on his part. It's a judgement call as to whether or not it warranted a yellow card, but the ref administered the caution, so US Soccer doesn't have much to challenge.

Returning to your "stupidity of it (the foul) warrants the call," the foul committed by the Ecuador player (which resulted in the stoppage of play, and then the tussle where Jones received a straight red) was a far stupider play/foul, and all it received was a yellow. The stupidity of an action is something that a ref might consider, but it's more for whether to call a foul or to call a foul and also issue a yellow card.

________Russia 2018___Qatar 2022___Combined US/CA/MX 2026
Player_____Age__________Age_____________Age
Brooks_____25___________29______________33
Wood______25___________29______________33
Yedlin______24___________28______________32
Pulisic_____19___________23______________27

Reactions: MichaelJackSchmidt
________Russia 2018___Qatar 2022___Combined US/CA/MX 2026
Player_____Age__________Age_____________Age
Brooks_____25___________29______________33
Wood______25___________29______________33
Yedlin______24___________28______________32
Pulisic_____19___________23______________27
Damn, some young talent that will be around for a while!!!

What I bolded isn't all that valid, IMHO. A red card is usually reserved for a serious incident, or a situation where it's pretty much mandated by the rules. Jones's action would not even warrant a yellow in most games. The new FIFA rules do warrant a red IF Jones struck the face of Arroyo. I didn't think he did so in real time, and the slo-motion replays didn't seem to show him touching the face.

Klinsmann has reason to be mad about the call, but not for the reasons quoted in the article you linked. The referee can't see everything. The 2 ARs and the 4th official are trained to communicate to the ref any cardable actions they observe that they feel the ref could not see.

IMHO, Wood has a far weaker case. While play should not have been restarted until Jones had exited the field, it had, so by FIFA rules anything that takes place once play is started is valid. Woods's foul was pretty dumb on his part. It's a judgement call as to whether or not it warranted a yellow card, but the ref administered the caution, so US Soccer doesn't have much to challenge.

Returning to your "stupidity of it (the foul) warrants the call," the foul committed by the Ecuador player (which resulted in the stoppage of play, and then the tussle where Jones received a straight red) was a far stupider play/foul, and all it received was a yellow. The stupidity of an action is something that a ref might consider, but it's more for whether to call a foul or to call a foul and also issue a yellow card.

They barely ever walk back a card once it is given. Jones was an idiot and you saw Bradley immediate pull the hot head away and point to his head, but it was 2 seconds too late. He may have missed touching him but he gave the intent that he was bringing his hand up to another players face. It was beyond dumb and didn't have to happen. I don't cry foul for stupidity just because he's our guy. Jones is good for a card a game and while everyone loves his hustle and tenacity, this is the one side of his game that never matured. At 34 and being up late in a QF match with a huge player for the other team to be sent off, he had to get his 2 cents in. The US could have coasted a man up for the rest of the match, but instead they had to really sweat it out.

I'll be shocked if they take that back because you are correct by the letter of the law....but it was just so dumb that he almost needs to be punished.

Damn, some young talent that will be around for a while!!!

Plus Hyndman just made the move to the Premier League today (Bournemouth), and guys like Zelalem, Green, Rubin, Carter-Vickers, Arriola, and Steffen give us a nice group of more young talent on the horizon.

For clarification (or confusion), here is the new FIFA rule that caused Jones to be given a red card:

Law 12: Fouls and Misconduct
3. Disciplinary action
Violent conduct
"In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible."

So the USA appeal could be focused on 3 issues:

1. Jones did not strike the opponent (from the videos)
2. Jones did not deliberately strike the opponent (even if he did, it appeared he was reaching out and Arroyo's hand/arm bumped Jones's hand, which caused it to move toward and/or hit Arroyo)
3. Jones used negligible force

For clarification (or confusion), here is the new FIFA rule that caused Jones to be given a red card:

Law 12: Fouls and Misconduct
3. Disciplinary action
Violent conduct
"In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible."

So the USA appeal could be focused on 3 issues:

1. Jones did not strike the opponent (from the videos)
2. Jones did not deliberately strike the opponent (even if he did, it appeared he was reaching out and Arroyo's hand/arm bumped Jones's hand, which caused it to move toward and/or hit Arroyo)
3. Jones used negligible force

Watching the replay, I think that #3 is the only option. Jones did definitely get him in the face, and it didn't look like Jones arm got touched until he already got him in the face. However, it was a pretty soft blow (heck, the opponent didn't even dive on the ground and pretend that he got a solid shot in on him).

But I don't see us having much, if any, chance of winning an appeal. Especially since Jones was already on a yellow, and even if the card was downgraded, he'd still be out. There was enough there that I don't see any way they completely wipe the card off the books.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT