ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Unfortunately Pulisic (COVID-19) and Steffen (back spasms) will not be playing in tonight's world cup qualifier. US Soccer preview...

I had previously read that Pulisic cleared all Covid protocols and could return. Is his absence still due to Covid or is it just a precaution or maybe to give him more time to recover his fitness?

I had previously read that Pulisic cleared all Covid protocols and could return. Is his absence still due to Covid or is it just a precaution or maybe to give him more time to recover his fitness?
He'll be playing Sunday night I imagine. Precautionary as he wouldn't have come back across the pond to not play.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Not sure if any of the articles covered it, but there are some familiar faces on the El Salvador side, as former USMNT player Hugo Perez is their coach (he was on our 94 squad, and helped us qualify in 90), and his nephew Josh Perez is on the team. Josh played at the youth level for us (he was part of the group that came up with Pulisic and Adams), and played in Serie A for Fiorentina at age 18 (I was really excited about his future), but fizzled our a bit and is now playing in the USL.

The USMNT is going to play 3 world cup qualifiers in 7 days, which is crazy from a fitness and travel perspective. In El Salvador tonight (Thursday), in the USA against Canada on Sunday, and then in Honduras on Wednesday.

The USMNT is going to play 3 world cup qualifiers in 7 days, which is crazy from a fitness and travel perspective. In El Salvador tonight (Thursday), in the USA against Canada on Sunday, and then in Honduras on Wednesday.
They actually have some depth for once so hopefully they can get at least 7 points in the 3.

Reactions: LionJim

Yeah, the 3 games per session thing is crazy for CONCACAF given the distances involved. Canada will have it even worse than the US. Since half the group is Central American teams, most of them won't have nearly the kind of mileage in these sessions that the US or Canada will have to endure.

Better than a loss...about all I can say. The game was there for the taking, but we weren’t good enough in the final third.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Better than a loss...about all I can say. The game was there for the taking, but we weren’t good enough in the final third.

Pretty much it, very poor in that 3rd. Dest again struggled and he and Konrad just didn't look good together. I love that both can take people on, but they just didn't really click last night. The young team got a taste of what is like on the road in the region....they need to do better. POM for me was Ream. Solid pretty much all night.

Somewhat disappointing, Canada is a pretty good side though. I don't think this young American team knows how good they can be quite yet.

Very disappointing game last night against Canada. That game, on home soil, should have been a win for 3 points. Canada is not a good team and has not qualified for the World Cup since 1986.

Next game is Wednesday in Honduras, which is a difficult environment to play in. It puts more pressure on the team to get out of there with at least 1 point, maybe 3 points in order to stay in or close to the top 3.

We'll be lucky to get a point in Honduras. They are not great but are solid. Most of their players play at home so they have more consistency as a team.

What we saw this week, so far, was Berhalter ball (almost a soccer version of Tressel ball). Crew fans got accustomed to that.

But sometimes not being flashy is good.

Reactions: tgar and Alphabets
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT