ADVERTISEMENT

VA Tech/NC St., IA/OK St., MO/IA St. duals

giphy.gif

Any predictions for Iowa vs Oklahoma State?

I need to watch more Spratley matches. I haven't watch many yet. Looks like a toss up match right now

I need to watch more Spratley matches. I haven't watch many yet. Looks like a toss up match right now
125: Spratley v Ayala looks like a toss-up to me. Home mat advantage to Spratley, for the slightest of advantages. Not enough to bet the farm, and I'm actually going Ayala on gut.

133: Fix v Teske, big advantage Fix. Fix won by MD last season 11-3, so with the 3-pt takedown and home mat, a Okie St Major is possible.

141: Jamison v Woods, the Hawkeye a solid favorite, but not to bonus.

149: Williams v Voinovich is close on paper, if anything slight edge to Williams wrestling in front of a home crowd.

157: Travis v Franek is another close bout on paper. Franek with the edge as Travis' schedule and good record is misleading due to competition. He does have an early season 1-pt win vs Ed Scott. I'll go Franek.

165: Olejnik v Caliendo looks like a dynamite bout on paper. I've seen both wrestle and I'm not sure who to pick. Will this be a bout that the home team's fans affect? I'm going Olejnik.

174: Thompson v Kennedy has a clear favorite and it is Kennedy though I wouldn't say it's a bonus bout.

184: Plott vs Riggins should be a Cowboy MD. Simple decision if Arnold goes.

197: Surber v Glazier should be a decision either way. I like Glazier in this one, he is wrestling really well.

285: Doucette v Hill is hard to read. Hill actually appears by his record to have better offense and Doucette better defense. Doucette favored at home in a low scoring affair.

I have it 5-5 with bonus points playing a part in the decision. Home mat is likely to be a factor. 17-15 Okie State.

125: Spratley v Ayala looks like a toss-up to me. Home mat advantage to Spratley, for the slightest of advantages. Not enough to bet the farm, and I'm actually going Ayala on gut.

133: Fix v Teske, big advantage Fix. Fix won by MD last season 11-3, so with the 3-pt takedown and home mat, a Okie St Major is possible.

141: Jamison v Woods, the Hawkeye a solid favorite, but not to bonus.

149: Williams v Voinovich is close on paper, if anything slight edge to Williams wrestling in front of a home crowd.

157: Travis v Franek is another close bout on paper. Franek with the edge as Travis' schedule and good record is misleading due to competition. He does have an early season 1-pt win vs Ed Scott. I'll go Franek.

165: Olejnik v Caliendo looks like a dynamite bout on paper. I've seen both wrestle and I'm not sure who to pick. Will this be a bout that the home team's fans affect? I'm going Olejnik.

174: Thompson v Kennedy has a clear favorite and it is Kennedy though I wouldn't say it's a bonus bout.

184: Plott vs Riggins should be a Cowboy MD. Simple decision if Arnold goes.

197: Surber v Glazier should be a decision either way. I like Glazier in this one, he is wrestling really well.

285: Doucette v Hill is hard to read. Hill actually appears by his record to have better offense and Doucette better defense. Doucette favored at home in a low scoring affair.

I have it 5-5 with bonus points playing a part in the decision. Home mat is likely to be a factor. 17-15 Okie State.
Fair assessment. Thanks Roar. If it's that close going into Heavyweight maybe Keuter gets the nod.

My prediction is that they’ll split the matches 5-5 and Ok St will win 17-15 based in bonus points at 133 and possibly 184. There are at least 5 toss up matches, though, so it could easily go either way.

Spratley has looked really good this season. Spratley vs Ayala and Olejnik vs Caliendo are the two matches I’m looking most forward to.

BK at Oregon State pinned Spratley. He caught him with a nice suck back from a sitout position.

Spratley Dec
Fix Major
Woods Dec but if he’s not right yet he loses. Karin close enough to matter.
Rat Gene Dec
Franek Dec
Izzy Dec
Kennedy Dec
Plott Dec, Major if they keep Arnold out of the lineup (btw, not wrestling him at that weight this year should be something every Iowa fan is questioning- makes no sense)
Glazed Donut Dec
Doucet Dec

So that’s what 16-15 Pokes? I think that Oklahoma State wins this dual 51 times out of the 100 so I’ll give tiebreaker at home at 125 and heavy.

125: Spratley looks good, but Ayala's defense is probably too tough right now. 3-0 Iowa

133: I'd say Fix puts bonus on whoever goes for Iowa here, but both good enough to keep it to a major. 4-3 OSU

141: If Woods is healthy, this could be bonus territory. I won't call it because Jamison has looked pretty solid all year, but not too surprised if Woods gets a major late. 6-4 Iowa

149: Williams vs Voinovich or Rathjen is a tough call! I'm impressed with Rathjen, he's a fighter, but I'll take Williams by 1 or 2. 7-6 OSU

157: Franek should beat Travis here, but can he bonus? I'm not sure Travis has the defense to prevent a late push. Franek by major. 10-7 Iowa

165: Olejnik vs Caliendo might be the match of the dual. Both guys are aggressive and that should give us a really fun match. The winner here could go a long way in deciding the dual's victor. I think Caliendo is the slightly better wrestler, but this could really go either way. 13-7 Iowa

174: Kennedy should handle Thompson in a low scoring affair. 16-7 Iowa

184: Plott has looked great this season, and will be a tough out for anyone Iow throws out there. Maybe we see Arnold? I think Plott could tech Riggins and decision Arnold. Split the difference and call it a major. 16-11 Iowa

197: Glazier has been the most improved Hawkeye, and it's not really even close. He wrestled Brooks very well. Surber is decent, but Glazier should win this fairly easily. 19-11 Iowa

285: I admit I haven't seen much of Doucette this year but it looks like he's having a nice season. Maybe we see Kueter again? I'll take Doucette by the slightest of margins, but could easily be convinced of an Iowa victory here. 19-14 Iowa wins.

OSU needs some toss up matches to go their way or they could get blown out at home, actually. They'll need to win 149, 165, and HWT to have a chance.

Reactions: WildTurk
PSU will have more individual champs this year than Iowa has had in the past 5. They can have their history. I'll take our present...
U bet. And not to take away from Gables success and the moderate success brought by previous PSU wrestling coaches, but imo,PSU could have been much more competitive in decades past. Two reasons this didn't occur was a lack of commitment (passion) and support from coaches and administration. Second reason, in defense of PSUs former coaches, all that PA talent was divided among PAs numerous D1 programs. Years ago I couldn't understand why Penn State wrestling wasn't more successful. Cael new it all along.

U bet. And not to take away from Gables success and the moderate success brought by previous PSU wrestling coaches, but imo,PSU could have been much more competitive in decades past. Two reasons this didn't occur was a lack of commitment (passion) and support from coaches and administration. Second reason, in defense of PSUs former coaches, all that PA talent was divided among PAs numerous D1 programs. Years ago I couldn't understand why Penn State wrestling wasn't more successful. Cael new it all along.
When I was in junior high and high school, Clarion was consistently a top 10 program.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
As I recall the universities of Rome and Florence dominated for nearly two centuries 100-300 AD.
Yeah, but Florence had a bag man in Medici and Rome was offering impermissible benefits from Vatican clergy back then.

Starting off at 149 with probably the best match up of the night. #2 Caleb Henson vs #3/4 Jackson Arrington.
I was going to say that Henson looks a little sluggish without the recovery time from weigh ins but that was a nice td at the end of the first.

Reactions: jmadden1998
Hipolito doesn't have much defense, if you get to his leg he's going down.

Hipolito doesn't have much defense, if you get to his leg he's going down.
He’s a bjj guy. Those guys are used to giving up tds to go into guard. He definitely gives guys a different feel coming from that background

Reactions: RB-Old
TJ Stewart vs Fishback has been good. Beautiful td by Stewart late in the first. Stewart looks good at 184. Wrestled 220 last year in high school. He looks really quick and powerful. I thought he would be good in college but I wondered if his lack of length similar to Gabe Arnold would hinder him at all especially up at 184 or 197. So far he seems to be doing just fine. And Stewart with another beautiful td. Damn does he look good tonight. Fishback is ranked 7th and beat Foca just last week. Score is 7-2 Stewart and that’s how it ends. Impressive performance

Last edited:
I mean, WildTurd isn't wrong about "history", but it should definitely scare the hell out of the other programs that the guys growing up and coming into college wrestling now know only of Penn State dominance in their wrestling lives, while the Ok St and Iowa dynasties were the teams their fathers and grandfathers witnessed and are only written about in history books now. Truax ditched Slumlord Millionaire's bag to come to Penn State and then the picture surfaced of him at like 10 with a Penn State national champ shirt on. Mesenbrink in his latest interview talked about how giddy he was when he was in the portal and Cael called him because he knew Penn State as the best room and the place he always wanted to be. Guys like Duke and Henckel and Gibson committed to PSU despite elite recruits at their weights already committed. The program is selling itself to the best wrestlers in the country now. NLWC could produce multiple Olympic champs in this cycle. Kids like Haines are spending their senior year training with those guys instead of high school kids and are ready to step in and dominate year one, then stay on and train for the Olympics themselves.
I feel like Hencke and Gibson may have a hard time cracking the lineup but Duke seems like he's going to be ready to be a star after a rs season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT