ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

PSU has been struggling the last few years to establish their identity. That includes everything from the Admin to the staff and to the fans as well. They can't decide where they want to fit within the framework of CFB. If that decision is ever made and is acceptable to both Admin and fans, everything else will take care of itself.

Actually, Penn State has been on a 9-year odyssey to stamp out a 50year old brand of tough, smart, and hard-nosed football and has replaced it with a soft, undisciplined, and unsound finesse team that is no-competitive in big games.

Sad.

Time to try something new (or better yet, return to our roots).

Come home Matt!

Reactions: manilion
There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about. Lest people forget all the times Paterno’s teams were manhandled by Michigan. They were just better than us today and this season.
Really, when was the last time we were in the CFP? Never, including the 9 great years with Sir James Franklin, the millionaire who underperforms. Only people that get paid to be wrong more are weather people.

when the playoff goes to 12 we should be in almost every year. if he cannot get in by the 2nd year of that, he should be out
This is a strange comment. You are saying we should have a top 12 team almost every year? What team have you been watching the last few years? This team is going backwards we are nowhere near a top 12 team. Not even close. I think you need to lower your expectations. We flat out stink right now

This is a strange comment. You are saying we should have a top 12 team almost every year? What team have you been watching the last few years? This team is going backwards we are nowhere near a top 12 team. Not even close. I think you need to lower your expectations. We flat out stink right now
But we should strive to be regularly in the top 12--if not we have the wrong coach

Reactions: MacNit07
Really, when was the last time we were in the CFP? Never, including the 9 great years with Sir James Franklin, the millionaire who underperforms. Only people that get paid to be wrong more are weather people.
So what? Very few teams have been.

You are caught up in an era of Penn State Football that just doesn’t exist anymore and probably never will again. The early and mid 80’s were the pinnacle. Not a CFP job anymore. Not enough overall talent in our natural area anymore and can’t compete with the warm weather southern schools or the $ behemoth that is tOSU.

Reactions: john4psu
The 2016 team says hi.
Lol. The season known as Franklin‘s best. All because of a close win against OSU. How quickly you forget the loss to Pitt, blown out by UM and choked against and average USC. But a guess your right 11-3 with a Big Championship.

You are caught up in an era of Penn State Football that just doesn’t exist anymore and probably never will again. The early and mid 80’s were the pinnacle. Not a CFP job anymore. Not enough overall talent in our natural area anymore and can’t compete with the warm weather southern schools or the $ behemoth that is tOSU.
Plenty of talent. Franklin just doesn’t bring in the big fish.

Lol. The season known as Franklin‘s best. All because of a close win against OSU. How quickly you forget the loss to Pitt, blown out by UM and choked against and average USC. But a guess your right 11-3 with a Big Championship.
It's amazing how people pretend a Big Ten title is a huge achievement. It's not and it should be expected regularly and not because we won a tiebreaker.

• Haha
All of that is true. Every good season requires close wins. But you implied Franklin has never won anything. That is obviously wrong.

He did--but because of the losses to Pitt and Michigan it was meaningless since we weren't in the playoff.
The idea that you think winning a big ten championship is meaningless just demonstrates that you are:

a) not a PSU fan
b) not a college football fan
c) completely clueless

The idea that you think winning a big ten championship is meaningless just demonstrates that you are:

a) not a PSU fan
b) not a college football fan
c) completely clueless
No, it means I have real expectations. Does winning the MAC matter if you don't make the playoff? The goal is to compete for and win national titles. I'm not cheerleader that is impressed with 11-2 seasons. Those will happen but that should be your best.

don't you know that the big ten championship just rotates? all a coach has to do is stay somewhere for 14 years and he gets one. they don't have to do anything on the field
This doesn't even make sense. Franklin gets credit for winning the conference. A conference title without a playoff berth is meaningless which is why we need a 24 team playoff with all conference winners. Just like every other college sport.

The problem with college football is that it's the one sport where a loss or two eliminates you. That's absurd because it doesn't allow for teams to improve over the course of the season. We still should have been in that playoff over a certain Pac XII team that had no right to be in there but losing to two "average" at best teams killed us.

No, it means I have real expectations. Does winning the MAC matter if you don't make the playoff? The goal is to compete for and win national titles. I'm not cheerleader that is impressed with 11-2 seasons. Those will happen but that should be your best.
If you are a member of the MAC, then yes, winning your conference matters.

It is absurd and delusional to say otherwise.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
If you are a member of the MAC, then yes, winning your conference matters.

It is absurd and delusional to say otherwise.
Why does it matter? What does it do for you if you aren't in the playoff? You get a bowl game against someone from the Sun Belt in mid-December or right after New Year's? Is that a reward?

Why does it matter? What does it do for you if you aren't in the playoff? You get a bowl game against someone from the Sun Belt in mid-December or right after New Year's? Is that a reward?
Go be an NFL fan. You don't understand college football.

Go be an NFL fan. You don't understand college football.
Not agreeing with you isn't not understanding college football.
College football needs to change and the 12 team playoff is a great step in the right direction
Don't forget Paterno supported a playoff for decades. I'm not alone here.

Not agreeing with you isn't not understanding college football.
College football needs to change and the 12 team playoff is a great step in the right direction
Don't forget Paterno supported a playoff for decades. I'm not alone here.
I'm not opposed to a 12 team playoff (if done properly).

But your assertion that "nothing matters except for the playoff" is BS. Rivalry games matter, trophy games matter, bowl games matter, conference championships matter, division championships matter.

I'm not opposed to a 12 team playoff (if done properly).

But your assertion that "nothing matters except for the playoff" is BS. Rivalry games matter, trophy games matter, bowl games matter, conference championships matter, division championships matter.
Trophy games lost meaning when there became too many of them
Bowl games absolutely do not matter
Rivalry games can matter
Conference champions matter--when you make the playoff
See every other collegiate sport.

• Haha
a 12-team playoff is a dream come true for this program

we would have a few more national championships today if that always existed. '94 is a no brainer and i also believe the '91 team would have beaten anyone by bowl season
Agreed--it's a shame this or a 16/24 team didn't happen decades ago
It's always been needed--the FCS playoff is great

Trophy games lost meaning when there became too many of them
LOL
Bowl games absolutely do not matter
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Rivalry games can matter
So close to being accurate!
Conference champions matter--when you make the playoff
Yes....uhhhh, no. You almost had it! Keep trying.
See every other collegiate sport.
CFB is very different than other collegiate sports in that the NCAA does not control the playoffs.

Winning is fun, but it isn't the only reason to play sports.
It's the only reason to win a division or conference which is to extend your season to a playoff. It's why adding the wildcard in MLB sucks because the entire point of 162 games was for the best teams to rise to the top

It's the only reason to win a division or conference which is to extend your season to a playoff. It's why adding the wildcard in MLB sucks because the entire point of 162 games was for the best teams to rise to the top
I guess you can feel this way if you like, but I philosophically disagree. Playing is fun. Winning is fun too, but winning isn't the only reason to play.

I guess you can feel this way if you like, but I philosophically disagree. Playing is fun. Winning is fun too, but winning isn't the only reason to play.
It is at a competitive level. This isn't a pickup game or the family playing before Thanksgiving dinner. Sports are designed to challenge people and that challenge is to beat your opponent. You can enjoy playing but, if you played sports, losing is never fun. Ever. It might make you a better person and a better athlete because it forces you to work harder but it's not fun losing.

It is at a competitive level. This isn't a pickup game or the family playing before Thanksgiving dinner. Sports are designed to challenge people and that challenge is to beat your opponent. You can enjoy playing but, if you played sports, losing is never fun. Ever. It might make you a better person and a better athlete because it forces you to work harder but it's not fun losing.
You say some correct things here ("sports are designed to challenge people", "It might make you a better person/athlete") but your overall assertion is wrong.

No one likes to lose. But the reason to play isn't to win. The reason to play is to play.

(and I've probably played more competitive sports in my lifetime than you have; I'm almost 50 and still play, on average, 150 competitive contests per year)

You say some correct things here ("sports are designed to challenge people", "It might make you a better person/athlete") but your overall assertion is wrong.

No one likes to lose. But the reason to play isn't to win. The reason to play is to play.

(and I've probably played more competitive sports in my lifetime than you have; I'm almost 50 and still play, on average, 150 competitive contests per year)
trying to determine what "sport" it is you're playing 150 times a year BUT I still play competitive hockey yearly and have been playing since as long as can remember as I'm also approaching 50. Notice "competitive" which means with the intent to compete not just to have fun

trying to determine what "sport" it is you're playing 150 times a year BUT I still play competitive hockey yearly and have been playing since as long as can remember as I'm also approaching 50. Notice "competitive" which means with the intent to compete not just to have fun
It's multiple sports. I average three per week across two sports. I used to play hockey, but gave it up awhile ago just because of wear and tear on the body (great sport though).

Competitive does mean to compete. Compete does not mean win.

I am not a distance athlete but according to you anyone who doesn't win a marathon is a loser and shouldn't even bother. That's laughable. It's about the competition (doing your best, making yourself better, and enjoying it), not about winning.

It's multiple sports. I average three per week across two sports. I used to play hockey, but gave it up awhile ago just because of wear and tear on the body (great sport though).

Competitive does mean to compete. Compete does not mean win.

I am not a distance athlete but according to you anyone who doesn't win a marathon is a loser and shouldn't even bother. That's laughable. It's about the competition (doing your best, making yourself better, and enjoying it), not about winning.
You compete to win.
Compete is "strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same:"
I don't running a marathon to be a sport if that makes you feel better or worse I'm not sure.

All of that is true. Every good season requires close wins. But you implied Franklin has never won anything. That is obviously wrong.
I’lol give you one good win in years. Still waiting for him to win with a team full of his players.

ADVERTISEMENT