ADVERTISEMENT

What are the job requirements to lead the NCAA?

psu7981

Jan 28, 2004
I was thinking today about who would be the perfect choice to lead the NCAA. First and foremost should be - educate the student athletes. Get them a quality education so that they can find a good job after "graduation". Monitor the athletes to make sure that they are going to class. Fulfill the promises made to the athletes during their recruitment - you will graduate!

Who would you pick - Joe Paterno or Mark Emmert?

Well, honesty and integrity clearly are not high on the list to become the head of the NCAA.

Originally posted by psu7981:
I was thinking today about who would be the perfect choice to lead the NCAA. First and foremost should be - educate the student athletes. Get them a quality education so that they can find a good job after "graduation". Monitor the athletes to make sure that they are going to class. Fulfill the promises made to the athletes during their recruitment - you will graduate!

Who would you pick - Joe Paterno or Mark Emmert?
There was a time when I thought Joe would retire as Coach and respond to a general clamor for him to head the NCAA. Given how few rose to his defense in the aftermath of our BOT's rush to judgment, I realize that was a pipe dream. I have no doubt had he been offered the job, and accepted, the NCAA today would be an entirely different organization, representing a true balance between academics and athletics.

Full frontal lobotomy with dull drill bit.....

Emmett had two of them and Delaney thought it was a good idea.

Seems like you have to be an academic who has risen to president at one of the major member schools. At least that was the case with Brand and Emmert. You'd think it would make more sense if they were putting ADs in that job instead of presidents. I think it is basically a job for somebody who only cares about money and has abandoned their own intellectual capacity. Like at Penn State - athletics are a big operation, but kind of small in relation to a $4.5 billion budget. Why a career academic would want to step from that world into full time athletics is kind of unknowable.

What are the requirements to lead any coercive cartel?

Let's see - you must manage and lead the cartel to distort markets to exploit artificially created inefficiencies. Most importantly, you must be willing to creatively use coercion to keep members in line. That is, threaten and make good on threats when necessary. Extortion is both a by product of making good on the threats and also a necessary tactic in and off itself. Of course, sometimes the willingness to just use scare tactics will suffice. Force the members who contribute to the overall resources of the cartel to use up a disproportionate amount of resources to defend themselves when they stand up to the cartel's coercion tactics. Orchestrate PR campaigns to shape and influence the public and politicians to see the cartel in a positive light. Through cartel activities generate huge cash flow dollars to shore up relationships with corporations and government that grows the cartel's power and seeming invulnerability.

This post was edited on 3/27 2:39 PM by mn78psu83

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT