ADVERTISEMENT

What has Allar done to be the undoubted starter?

Amazing the apologists just amazing. Apparently after Saban and maybe Kirby Smart Franklin is the next best coach! What a joke. You are happy with 9-3 seasons like they are the best ever and Franklin is a genius for pulling that off. Oh, he went 10-2 the last two years so he should be anointed the best ever. I am thinking you all would be happy with 6-6. My God you would make excuses for him losing all his games. You people are so soft on this guy it is unbelievable. No one can do better, no one. We should just accept losing to teams of equal or better talent all the time. Pathetic. He is not a good game planner or in game coach. He just isn't but you people are brick walls that will defend everything he does no matter what. Nothing is his fault he does everything well. Flush.
Enjoy your whine.

Amazing the apologists just amazing. Apparently after Saban and maybe Kirby Smart Franklin is the next best coach! What a joke. You are happy with 9-3 seasons like they are the best ever and Franklin is a genius for pulling that off. Oh, he went 10-2 the last two years so he should be anointed the best ever. I am thinking you all would be happy with 6-6. My God you would make excuses for him losing all his games. You people are so soft on this guy it is unbelievable. No one can do better, no one. We should just accept losing to teams of equal or better talent all the time. Pathetic. He is not a good game planner or in game coach. He just isn't but you people are brick walls that will defend everything he does no matter what. Nothing is his fault he does everything well. Flush.
Boofnhoo

Let me know when he goes 6-6 and we can talk. And in case you didn’t know, there’s a bit of a difference between 6-6 and 10-2….i know, not in some posters minds…12-0 or bust!

For everyone who is complaining about Drew Aller returning, just be happy it is not Tony Sacca coming back.

For everyone who is complaining about Drew Aller returning, just be happy it is not Tony Sacca coming back.
I don't know where this came from. Tony Sacca was a good player for Penn State. Specifically his final year. He battled it out with Tom Bill for a while before commandeering the job during his career but he did what was asked of him in the limited PSU running offense.

Sacca was the 46th pick in the NFL draft. I'd like to have lots of QB's that would go in the first 50 picks of the draft.

I don't know where this came from. Tony Sacca was a good player for Penn State. Specifically his final year. He battled it out with Tom Bill for a while before commandeering the job during his career but he did what was asked of him in the limited PSU running offense.

Sacca was the 46th pick in the NFL draft. I'd like to have lots of QB's that would go in the first 50 picks of the draft.
There's certain players, especially QBs, that people blindly hate. Sacca is one of them.

There's certain players, especially QBs, that people blindly hate. Sacca is one of them.
It would be hard to argue that any PSU QB had a better, more efficient passing season than Sacca did his final year to that point of PSU history. Even the Fusina 2nd place Heisman year and the Blackledge 1982 year. Actually it was way better than Fusina's year statistically and Blackledge threw way too many picks. Sacca it is.

What did Allar do to be starting QB. Well!
  • He had few turnovers.
  • He led us to 10 victories as a true Freshman.
  • He is an accurate passer.
  • He runs when it is necessary.
  • Finally, did I mention that he had few turnovers.

• He had few turnovers.

--Yes, he was clean with the football.

--No, the defense and special teams led us to 10 wins. Allar was not the ringleader of those IMO

--An accurate passer based on what measure? His overall comp % wasn't great...his pocket presence and footwork/fundamentals looked terrible. And, in the two biggest games of the year, he looked like a high schooler

--Yes, he learned to run more throughout the year, which is important for him and the offense going forward.

--That's cool... he had few turnovers. When you check it down primarily and don't stretch the field very well, i would expect most QB's to be turnover-free. That has to change moving forward. No offense can function at a high level, playing in a box...and he IS NOT accurate enough to pick apart anybody in tight windows at this stage.

Last edited:

--No, the defense and special teams led us to 10 wins. Allar was not the ringleader of those IMO

--An accurate passer based on what measure? His overall comp % wasn't great...his pocket presence and footwork/fundamentals looked terrible. And, in the two biggest games of the year, he looked like a high schooler

--Yes, he learned to run more throughout the year, which is important for him and the offense going forward.

--That's cool... he had few turnovers. When you check it down primarily and don't stretch the field very well, i would expect most QB's to be turnover-free. That has to change moving forward. No offense can function at a high level, playing in a box...and he IS NOT accurate enough to pick apart anybody in tight windows at this stage.
Yeah he's got some problems but you could have replaced him with any other quarterback in America, college or pro and we still don't beat Ohio State or Michigan. Too many issues in other places.

That doesn't mean he's untouchable but he was by far the best option on our team.

So yeah you can bring Pribula in and he seems to have a spark because he runs the football better but if he's the starter all season suddenly you are losing to Illinois, Maryland or Michigan State in addition to OSU and UM.

Reactions: scrivener
So yeah you can bring Pribula in and he seems to have a spark because he runs the football better but if he's the starter all season suddenly you are losing to Illinois, Maryland or Michigan State in addition to OSU and UM.
Pribula looks like a spark because he's out there fresh in a game that is already out of reach against a bunch of undermanned starters on the opposing team in the 4th quarter of a game that they are tired and less motivated. That matters BIG!

Perspective.

Pribula looks like a spark because he's out there fresh in a game that is already out of reach against a bunch of undermanned starters on the opposing team in the 4th quarter of a game that they are tired and less motivated. That matters BIG!

Perspective.
Agreed. I am not saying who I think is better but defenses game plan against QB1. when QB 2 comes in, their defense isn't geared to stopping him. They'll make that adjustment and then the argument starts anew.

One thing I always watch is the second game of the season against a good coach. WVu had to gameplan with limited film. This was against a very good Illinois defense at Illinois in 2023. At that game, the defense played in our WR's faces and knocked them off the route. They hard rushed after they stopped our run. Then they dared PSU to throw deep against a heafy pass rush and a tightly covered WR. We didn't beat that defense that day. So every defense we played after that did the exact same thing. Many teams didn't have the talent to pull it off (Indiana, MD, Sparty) but the teams that had the DL to stop the run and CBs that could play bump coverage, we lost.

Beau brings a better running game but a worse passing game. So teams will beef up to stop the run more. They'll bring down the S and use the CBs to pinch and set the edge.

Looking at next year, our WRs need to get open. The WR and QB need to be on the same page (I believe this will be the focus of our new OC who is making our O more complex pre-snap and less complex post-snap). We need to be able to throw deep.

So next year, we'll have WVU with a year's experience playing Allar and PSU. Then we have two easier games before playing Illinois, again, but at home. If we beat WVU and the two other teams, the ILL game will be where we see the new offense; if it took or didn't.

• He had few turnovers.
Sophomore*

• He had few turnovers.
He wasn't a true freshman. He played in 10 games and threw 60 passes during his true freshman year in 2022. He'll be a true Junior this year.

Players who don't play

So the offense didn't score? I thought they scored about 36 points per game. The offense had to tally some of those points?

It would be hard to argue that any PSU QB had a better, more efficient passing season than Sacca did his final year to that point of PSU history. Even the Fusina 2nd place Heisman year and the Blackledge 1982 year. Actually it was way better than Fusina's year statistically and Blackledge threw way too many picks. Sacca it is.
Wait. You want Sacca over a QB that won a National Championship? Blackledge came through in big games. Sacca didn't. If the bar is set at undefeated seasons, you want the guy that ran out of gas when he had a chance to knock off a great Miami team on the road?! I agree that Sacca had a great senior season, but, he was never close enough to even sniff a Natty. The first 3 years he got the job due to Tommy Bill's injuries and his off the field problems.

Oh, so we only count points in losses? Unique.
LOL...u only count them when it works to your ultra positive perspective. Who cares what PPG average is against mostly patsies and teams that can't score from the B1G West. Don't be obtuse.

Lets see...

Ohio state gave up
  • 12 (PSU)
  • 30 (Michigan)
Michigan gave up
  • 15 (PSU)
  • 24 (tOSU)
We gave up 20 (tOSU) and 24 (UM). Other than Indiana, the most we gave up on defense all year.

Lets see...

Ohio state gave up
  • 12 (PSU)
  • 30 (Michigan)
Michigan gave up
  • 15 (PSU)
  • 24 (tOSU)
We gave up 20 (tOSU) and 24 (UM). Other than Indiana, the most we gave up on defense all year.
And...so what? I was commenting on marshall's post about 36 ppg etc. We didn't hit that number combined in the games vs OSU and Mich. Some stats are relevant and more meaningful than others. PPG is hugely slanted most of the time for this very reason.

Wait. You want Sacca over a QB that won a National Championship? Blackledge came through in big games. Sacca didn't. If the bar is set at undefeated seasons, you want the guy that ran out of gas when he had a chance to knock off a great Miami team on the road?! I agree that Sacca had a great senior season, but, he was never close enough to even sniff a Natty. The first 3 years he got the job due to Tommy Bill's injuries and his off the field problems.
Tony Sacca's senior season was statistically better than any season Blackledge or Fusina ever had and it isn't really that close. They went 11-2 and lost at Miami and at USC that year and played 4 top 12 teams not including USC who finished unranked. That's a great season. They beat three top 12 teams that season and lost to #2 Miami at their home field. The Alabama of that timeframe.

LOL...u only count them when it works to your ultra positive perspective. Who cares what PPG average is against mostly patsies and teams that can't score from the B1G West. Don't be obtuse.
After more than fifty years I've noticed a trend...in a loss the offense tends to score less and the defense tends to surrender more points.

After more than fifty years I've noticed a trend...in a loss the offense tends to score less and the defense tends to surrender more points.
Whatever, Marshall. You glorify and positive-spin everything on here. No problem. At the end of the day, our PPG means nothing when you lose the biggest games every year. If you think the opposite, that is your right. It's too pollyanna for me.

For the one millionth time, football is the ultimate team sport. Quarterbacks don’t “win” games. It is comical to observe you experts who never wore a jockstrap in your life criticizing elite athletes like Drew Allar.

And...so what? I was commenting on marshall's post about 36 ppg etc. We didn't hit that number combined in the games vs OSU and Mich. Some stats are relevant and more meaningful than others. PPG is hugely slanted most of the time for this very reason.
the point is that we scored well against those defenses based on other teams they played. at the same time, the defense didn't play as well as they did against most other teams. All well and good, it is a team sport. And, this is just as you would suspect because those two teams had much better talent against our offense and defense.

The bottom line is that CJF fired the OC after UM, before the end of the season. while it isn't a reflection of Allar and Beau specifically, it is an indication that the brain trust didn't feel the OC was fulfilling their rule.

These are facts.

Now, my opinion is that the offense was totally out of synch. I am not sure how many times Allar thought the receiver was running an X and he ran a Y. And those are just the cases when Allar threw the ball. I am sure that there were many more where the QB thought the R was going to flood a vacated location due to a blitz but the R went someplace else causing Allar to pull the ball and try to by time to get to the next option.

For the one millionth time, football is the ultimate team sport. Quarterbacks don’t “win” games. It is comical to observe you experts who never wore a jockstrap in your life criticizing elite athletes like Drew Allar.
It's a message board...that's what people do on here. Do you want every thread to be flowers and roses?

the point is that we scored well against those defenses based on other teams they played. at the same time, the defense didn't play as well as they did against most other teams. All well and good, it is a team sport. And, this is just as you would suspect because those two teams had much better talent against our offense and defense.

The bottom line is that CJF fired the OC after UM, before the end of the season. while it isn't a reflection of Allar and Beau specifically, it is an indication that the brain trust didn't feel the OC was fulfilling their rule.

These are facts.

Now, my opinion is that the offense was totally out of synch. I am not sure how many times Allar thought the receiver was running an X and he ran a Y. And those are just the cases when Allar threw the ball. I am sure that there were many more where the QB thought the R was going to flood a vacated location due to a blitz but the R went someplace else causing Allar to pull the ball and try to by time to get to the next option.
Our D (which had six taken off the board thanks to King) played as well as nearly anyone all year vs OSU in Columbus...and certainly played well enough to win. JF and his usual idiocy going for it in our own territory with most of the 4th quarter left, gifted OSU their final points. 20 pts allowed vs OSU should result in a net positive result nearly every year. Bottom line, offensively, from coaching to player performance (not just Allar, but even Olu and the whole OL) malfunctioned. It was brutal to watch in person.

Reactions: ryoder1
I got a kick out of the super bowl. Mahomes comes away as the game hero with incredible skills that many feel makes him challenge as GOAT. Yet, KC only scored 19 points in regulation. Three of those were in the last second to tie the game. The PK went 4/4 with one a super bowl record 57 yards.

But hey, nobody else played. it was Mahomes versus Purdy.

Before the '23 season, we all agreed we had an elite defense and a strong running game. What we needed from Allar was to not turnover the ball and be very good in the Red Zone. If he checks those two boxes, we make the CFP, right? Nope, Allar didn't turn the ball over and he wasn't good in the redzone, the man was ELITE. Only Oregon and Arizona threw more redzone TDs than we did. The issues we had last year run deeper than Allar.
What if you normalize or remove the 2 blow out 63 point games!?

What if you normalize or remove the 2 blow out 63 point games!?
Then you have to do that with every other team to make apples-to-apples comparisons. When you start to pars the data, you lack a baseline to understand if the new number is good or bad.

Reactions: wilbury
Whatever, Marshall. You glorify and positive-spin everything on here. No problem. At the end of the day, our PPG means nothing when you lose the biggest games every year. If you think the opposite, that is your right. It's too pollyanna for me.
If PSU lost to West Virginia, Iowa or Illinois, OSU wouldn't have been a "big game."

Reactions: wilbury
Yeah he's got some problems but you could have replaced him with any other quarterback in America, college or pro and we still don't beat Ohio State or Michigan. Too many issues in other places.

That doesn't mean he's untouchable but he was by far the best option on our team.

I think he was the best option to start that game and still is the starter but he has to take some blame for that OSU loss. The offense lost the game and he leads the offense. The WRs were terrible, yes. The whole offense stunk including Allar. I do wonder if somewhere late 3rd quarterish of that OSU game after the 5th or 6th 3 and out we may have had success bringing Pribula in as a change of pace. We were so out of synch that could have been a good move at that point. Of course had it worked then a huge QB controversy ensues.

It's a message board...that's what people do on here. Do you want every thread to be flowers and roses?
You’ve tried to make your point, as weak as it is. Why continue to beat a dead horse? Move on to your next complaint if that is what “you people do.”

Reactions: marshall23
You’ve tried to make your point, as weak as it is. Why continue to beat a dead horse? Move on to your next complaint if that is what “you people do.”
LOL ok Kasparaitis...you clown everyone who isn't a fanboy blowhard. It's a message board where people have a wide variety of opinions and discussion points. Yes, that means even critical/negative ones. You aren't the ruler here, relax. You can always not read the posts if you can't handle criticism of JF, Allar, or the team.

"You people do?"...sounds like you need to get outside for a walk and breathe some air, or read a book.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryoder1
I think he was the best option to start that game and still is the starter but he has to take some blame for that OSU loss. The offense lost the game and he leads the offense. The WRs were terrible, yes. The whole offense stunk including Allar. I do wonder if somewhere late 3rd quarterish of that OSU game after the 5th or 6th 3 and out we may have had success bringing Pribula in as a change of pace. We were so out of synch that could have been a good move at that point. Of course had it worked then a huge QB controversy ensues.
Good point..I think for a change of pace and just something different for OSU...maybe Beau would have helped as a spark. Similar to what Potts did earlier in the year for the RB's. He seemed to bring energy. But, JF is always so cautious about ruffling feathers, that no way he was going to make that move...but I agree with you on trying something different.

Good point..I think for a change of pace and just something different for OSU...maybe Beau would have helped as a spark. Similar to what Potts did earlier in the year for the RB's. He seemed to bring energy. But, JF is always so cautious about ruffling feathers, that no way he was going to make that move...but I agree with you on trying something different.
I really hope JF didn't do it because he thought he would ruffle feathers (as in Allar and Allar's parents) but who knows. That game was such a nightmare given how pathetic we were on offense. It was analogous to a golfer who started to lose it and then the last 6 holes the wheels just come completely off. Maybe with the threat of Pribula running it could have softened up their secondary a little for our WRs to get open. Just keep on speaking the truth despite the fan boys belief JF has never done anything wrong nor ever made a bad coaching decision...LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT