ADVERTISEMENT

What is taking Duke so long to hire a HC?

Everything that involves PSU seems to go quiet which makes me think PSU involvement in this is going on. Maybe MD is trying to decide whether to take the job, maybe PSU has put out a big offer to keep him?
My guess is PSU is trying hard to keep Manny. I believe he will eventually leave for a head coaching gig but I don’t see Duke as a good situation for him.

They can take as long as they want with the transfer portal opening. Bold move Cotton.
That’s the thing. I’m sure they want to “get it right” but it’s not ideal to not have a HC in place at this point. Both from current players who will portal out and bring late in getting kids to portal in to your program. I’m a little surprised it’s taken them so long.

If I was a Duke football fan, I’d be panicking as recruiting and portal have passed them by. It’s too late to have any sort of leg up on prospects that have entered the portal.

Which makes me wonder if they’re going to hire someone already on staff?

I think Manny is a great candidate for Duke, but I just can’t come up with a scenario where I’d take that job. But maybe Manny just wants to be HC again.

If I was a Duke football fan, I’d be panicking as recruiting and portal have passed them by. It’s too late to have any sort of leg up on prospects that have entered the portal.

Which makes me wonder if they’re going to hire someone already on staff?

I think Manny is a great candidate for Duke, but I just can’t come up with a scenario where I’d take that job. But maybe Manny just wants to be HC again.
Duke has football fans?

I do wander how much Manny has grown in terms of his ability to become a head coach again. I've heard his Miami stay was pretty bad, but then again, it's all hearsay.

I know it's not realistic that he will stay long-term, but I'm sure some coaches are just better suited as coordinators. Head coaching is a whole other animal...

Reactions: pittpsu
Whether it’s Duke or elsewhere, I think Manny will leave for a HC position this year. He’s a very hot commodity now, rightfully so, and I’m sure he’d like another shot at it. Hoping I’m wrong.

Reactions: step.eng69
Yeah its probably just contract negotiations now. Could be a good sign that it seems to be dragging out past the portal opening. But these small details in the contract almost always are worked out.
Franklin could be fighting to get Diaz an Assistant Head Coach title and a salary higher than what Duke would pay a head coach....

I know, wishful thinking........

Franklin could be fighting to get Diaz an Assistant Head Coach title and a salary higher than what Duke would pay a head coach....

I know, wishful thinking........
I’m sure Franklin is pulling out all the stops to keep him here. That said, I think we all knew Manny was not gonna be here long-term. I was hoping for three years, but I’m not optimistic.

I’m sure Franklin is pulling out all the stops to keep him here. That said, I think we all knew Manny was not gonna be here long-term. I was hoping for three years, but I’m not optimistic.
I was happy we had him for a second year. I thought he'd be gone last year.

I still think Duke's the wrong job but his mistake to make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT