ADVERTISEMENT

What month and year did you enroll as a freshman

Same as me. First floor Geary
Would you believe east halls had a wet t shirt contest as part of the orientation games. That was brand new for a wide eyed 17 year old. It was won by five dollar Sandy.
Tenth floor Tener.

Fall 1980, Altoona campus, lived on the corner of 4th St and Cherry Ave. Had issues with my acceptance which meant I registered late and had to find off campus housing. Remember the swim test? The person next to me in the pool failed it. All you had to do was tread water for a period of time.

Reactions: lionbacker
Fall 1980, Altoona campus, lived on the corner of 4th St and Cherry Ave. Had issues with my acceptance which meant I registered late and had to find off campus housing. Remember the swim test? The person next to me in the pool failed it. All you had to do was tread water for a period of time.
Had a friend from Philly who could not swim and was terrified. He told the photo ID folks he lost his id, so they gave him a paper temporary replacement. No picture. He gave that and a case of beer (he got from ANOTHER Philly hs buddy) to the first guy, who took and passed the test for him.

I was a country bonehead. It never dawned on me that anyone would even attempt to scam the University like that. Impressed me so much I became an auditor right out of college.

My non swimming buddy? He just retired from Wells Fargo. No lie.

August '61...track orientation and physical exam...new 10wk term system...they weren't completely prepared to a lot the proper amount of course content different from the semester system, so some courses were ridiculously compacted...esp. engineering college.

August 1984 at Altoona campus. First floor. West dorm — ΧΑΟΣ

Fall 1974 at Behrend, fall 1976 at main campus. Dang, that was a long time ago.

Undergraduate at Juniata College just down route 26 from State College.Then began graduate school at PSU in ‘75.

Reactions: Little J
September 1963
04 Nittany 25
1st trip to the PUB, Sugar Shack by Jimmy Gilmer was playing on the jukebox
Remember it like it was yesterday!

August '61...track orientation and physical exam...new 10wk term system...they weren't completely prepared to a lot the proper amount of course content different from the semester system, so some courses were ridiculously compacted...esp. engineering college.
Still much the same in 1963.

I guess I'm the young buck.

August 2006 Altoona campus. August 2008 Main Campus

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
September 68. I think. It was a long time ago. Met my friend there and we have worked together for 51 years now.

Same here.
We did start the Wednesday before Labor Day back then. I thought it was kinda stupid... go three days to start the semester, then get a three day weekend. Why not just wait until after Labor Day?
I wondered the same thing, but since my birthday is September 1, I got to celebrate 3-day weekend style at least twice.

Reactions: PSU87
August 1968, main campus- Pollack Halls first year, then moved off campus for the next three

Had a friend from Philly who could not swim and was terrified. He told the photo ID folks he lost his id, so they gave him a paper temporary replacement. No picture. He gave that and a case of beer (he got from ANOTHER Philly hs buddy) to the first guy, who took and passed the test for him.

I was a country bonehead. It never dawned on me that anyone would even attempt to scam the University like that. Impressed me so much I became an auditor right out of college.

My non swimming buddy? He just retired from Wells Fargo. No lie.
And he probably has a huge house with a pool. And still can't swim.

And he probably has a huge house with a pool. And still can't swim.
He liked playing hockey. I always wondered what he would do if the ice broke.

His kids are excellent swimmers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT