ADVERTISEMENT

Which BIG team is most likely to win its bowl game? Which BIG team is most likely to lose?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Which Big 10 team is most likely to win its bowl game and which Big 10 team is most likely to lose its bowl game? In terms of likelihood of winning how do you rank the following for Big 10 victories? Of course, I hope the Big 10 goes 1-7 this bowl season.

Pinstripe: Iowa vs. Boston College
Foster Farms: Purdue vs Arizona
Holiday: Michigan State vs. Washington State
Music City: Northwestern vs. Kentucky
Cotton: Ohio State vs. USC
Fiesta: Penn State vs. Washington
Orange: Wisconsin vs. Miami
Outback: Michigan vs. South Carolina

Most likely to win: Michigan
Most likely to lose: Purdue

There aren't many impressive bowl records among B1G teams. PSU is the sole exception.

Big Ten East
Michigan: 21-23
Penn State: 28-16-2
Ohio State: 22-24
Michigan State: 11-15
Maryland: 11-13-2
Rutgers: 6-4
Indiana: 3-7

Big Ten West
Wisconsin: 13-14
Nebraska: 26-26
Minnesota: 6-12
Iowa: 14-14-1
Northwestern: 2-10
Purdue: 9-8
Illinois: 8-10

Which Big 10 team is most likely to win its bowl game and which Big 10 team is most likely to lose its bowl game? In terms of likelihood of winning how do you rank the following for Big 10 victories? Of course, I hope the Big 10 goes 1-7 this bowl season.

Why are you rooting against teams like Purdue and Northwestern? smh

Most likely to win. Wisconsin or Northwestern
Least likely. Michigan

Last edited:
There aren't many impressive bowl records among B1G teams. PSU is the sole exception.

Big Ten East
Michigan: 21-23
Penn State: 28-16-2
Ohio State: 22-24
Michigan State: 11-15
Maryland: 11-13-2
Rutgers: 6-4
Indiana: 3-7

Big Ten West
Wisconsin: 13-14
Nebraska: 26-26
Minnesota: 6-12
Iowa: 14-14-1
Northwestern: 2-10
Purdue: 9-8
Illinois: 8-10

Joe had 24 bowl wins. That's more than any of those teams except Nebraska. He had 13 of those wins in "major" bowls.

Typically the B1G teams "play up" in the bowl matchups. With no teams in the playoff it seems like this year everyone is playing down and is the favorite. Hopefully, the teams perform well.

Joe had 24 bowl wins. That's more than any of those teams except Nebraska. He had 13 of those wins in "major" bowls.

At one point Joe had more bowl victories than Michigan and Ohio State in their "illustrious" histories COMBINED!

Reactions: Sharkies
Why are you rooting against teams like Purdue and Northwestern? smh

Most likely to win. Wisconsin or Northwestern
Least likely. Michigan
Not rooting against anyone. Just taking an objective look and thinking Purdue has a bad matchup against Arizona. I think AZ blows them out.

At one point Joe had more bowl victories than Michigan and Ohio State in their "illustrious" histories COMBINED!

To be fair for many of Joe's years no big 10 team other than the Rose Bowl representative went to a bowl game.

I don’t see a problem as long as the 1 is PSU.
Right conference strength means nothing. We haven't been an independent in more than 20 years. My mistake for hoping/believing our fan base would ever grasp this simple concept

And how exactly does any other Big school winning benefit us? If Ohio State and Wisconsin lose and we beat Washington, we'll finish higher ranked than any other Big 10 school.

As I said at the beginning...why exactly are you rooting against Northwestern and Purdue

Unlike you I want to be ranked high because we're beating quality teams not hoping others beat our conference.

I believe we're the only fan base that doesn't conprehend the conference power argument. Look at the pride the SEC and ACC take in it. Step out of the 80s

Also beginning the top team in a perceived weak conference does what for you?

As I said at the beginning...why exactly are you rooting against Northwestern and Purdue

Unlike you I want to be ranked high because we're beating quality teams not hoping others beat our conference.

I believe we're the only fan base that doesn't conprehend the conference power argument. Look at the pride the SEC and ACC take in it. Step out of the 80s

Also beginning the top team in a perceived weak conference does what for you?

Anything that helps Ohio State and Michigan hurts us. We recruit head to head against them. I don't care if Northwestern or Purdue win but I do want Ohio State and Michigan to lose. I am way more concerned about us finishing ahead of other BIG ten teams than any concerns about conference pride.

Anything that helps Ohio State and Michigan hurts us. We recruit head to head against them. I don't care if Northwestern or Purdue win but I do want Ohio State and Michigan to lose. I am way more concerned about us finishing ahead of other BIG ten teams than any concerns about conference pride.

I'll never understand the logic behind this. Do you think there's a single recruit that cares who wins these bowl games? I want a strong conference and I want us to win that conference. Winning a weak conference means nothing to me. Nothing. For example, the Steelers winning the AFC North is great only because they make the playoffs but it's not much of an accomplishment given the rest of the division. Same with the AFC East.

Did this conference and its commissioner come to Penn State's defense in its darkest honor in national perception or pile on with others? Does it act in the same manner towards Michigan State now?

Did its commissioner help Penn State's cause last year for making the playoffs or did he choose to bolster another school? Did he act in the same manner this year towards this year's conference champion like he did Penn State last year?

The AFC East have been door mats for the most part the last 15 years.

It hasn't affected the Patriots performance one bit and that result is ultimately their perception to others. When they win a Super Bowl do they care that their division mates stink?

Did this conference and its commissioner come to Penn State's defense in its darkest honor in national perception or pile on with others? Does it act in the same manner towards Michigan State now?

Did its commissioner help Penn State's cause last year for making the playoffs or did he cide to another school? Did he act in the same manner this year towards this year's conference champion like he did Penn State last year?

It hasn't affected the Patriots performance one bit and that result is ultimately their perception to others. When they win a Super Bowl do they care that their division mates stink?

When your own BOT doesn't defend you no one else should or even can. When Michigan State starts blaming their own program you let me know

Ohio State had a better resume than us last year. Beat Pitt or Michigan and there's no issue

Unfortunately in college football winning a conference isn't enough. Perception matters and you're rooting against that which is rooting against us. Simple concept

I'll never understand the logic behind this. Do you think there's a single recruit that cares who wins these bowl games? I want a strong conference and I want us to win that conference. Winning a weak conference means nothing to me. Nothing. For example, the Steelers winning the AFC North is great only because they make the playoffs but it's not much of an accomplishment given the rest of the division. Same with the AFC East.
So, you are emotionally invested in rooting for other B1G teams in their bowl games to make the conference stronger while, at the same time, claiming that recruits don't care who wins these games? I'm pretty sure you referred to these bowl games as meaningless a couple weeks ago. Are you off the Lithium again?

Did its commissioner help Penn State's cause last year for making the playoffs or did he choose to bolster another school? Did he act in the same manner this year towards this year's conference champion like he did Penn State last year?

Much of the reason OSU didn't make it into the playoffs this year is because of the Big's performance in the playoffs the last two years with OSU and MSU getting blown out, so conference perception does matter. So I'd really hate to see PSU not get in at some time in the future because the Big is looked at as a conference that can't win bowl games and playoff games. I'm not a fan of the Big either, but in college football perception is reality. The NFL is a whole different ball game.

Right conference strength means nothing. We haven't been an independent in more than 20 years. My mistake for hoping/believing our fan base would ever grasp this simple concept

No, it really doesn't mean that much as PSU's marque remains the same. Better to simply enjoy college football for the entertainment that it is. If one is entertained rooting against other Big Ten teams, so be it.

Are you under some impression that this so-called playoff and bowl system is something more than making money and generating ratings?

Much of the reason OSU didn't make it into the playoffs this year is because of the Big's performance in the playoffs the last two years with OSU and MSU getting blown out, so conference perception does matter. So I'd really hate to see PSU not get in at some time in the future because the Big is looked at as a conference that can't win bowl games and playoff games. I'm not a fan of the Big either, but in college football perception is reality. The NFL is a whole different ball game.

If PSU wins bowl games, it shouldn't matter what OSU and MSU do. The playoff system is nonsense anyways. I mean really, people like Condi Rice making selections? About as meaningful as sports writers that don't know how to put on a jock strap, deciding who is the best team.

When your own BOT doesn't defend you no one else should or even can. When Michigan State starts blaming their own program you let me know

Ohio State had a better resume than us last year. Beat Pitt or Michigan and there's no issue

Unfortunately in college football winning a conference isn't enough. Perception matters and you're rooting against that which is rooting against us. Simple concept

No, Ohio State did not have a better resume. They finished 2nd in their division, didn't qualify for the conference championship game and lost twice. If losing to Pitt disqualifies one, then it was wrong to invite Clemson last year, right? Perhaps Ohio State should have beat Oklahoma so there would be no issue.

Teams I expect will win, and teams I'll like root for (for entertainment purposes only)

- Iowa to win, root for Iowa
- Arizona to win, no preference
- toss up, root for Wazzu
- Northwestern to win, root for Northwestern
- Ohio State to win, root for USC
- PSU and PSU
- Miami to win, no preference
- Michigan to win, root for South Carolina

Going out on a limb here on my first pick...

Most likely to win: Wisconsin
Miami is not impressive. Lost to Pitt, didn't get off the bus against a Clemson team who lost to Syracuse. Several close wins that could have easily been losses. I think they're down and not getting back up this season. I know the bowl is a "home game" for them but let's just say their home games aren't exactly white-out level attendance or enthusiasm.

Lost to Rutgers and Nebraska.

Reactions: Madsol
Ohio State did have a better resume than us last year and everyone outside our fan base accepts that reality. We had a better resume than Washington but because of the perception of the Big Ten they decided against taking two teams from one conference unlike the SEC this year

No one is saying you must be emotionally invested in the other Big Ten programs but you should be intelligent enough to comprehend why a 1-7 bowl season for the Big Ten is awful given our cupcake non-conference schedule. And to be emotionally invested to want to root agaist Purdue, NW, Wisconsin and Iowa is scary. Also rooting against the teams that beat us make those losses look worse

Yeah, there's only 3 meaningful games left on the schedule IMO and the Big Ten plays in none of those but we all should know that perception is reality in a sport where a committee selects who advances

Wanting the Big Ten to do well doesn't mean you have to like the other programs. It's about YOUR program. Just like most here wanted the Big Ten to do well in the WVB Tournament

Ohio State did have a better resume than us last year and everyone outside our fan base accepts that reality. We had a better resume than Washington but because of the perception of the Big Ten they decided against taking two teams from one conference unlike the SEC this year

No one is saying you must be emotionally invested in the other Big Ten programs but you should be intelligent enough to comprehend why a 1-7 bowl season for the Big Ten is awful given our cupcake non-conference schedule. And to be emotionally invested to want to root agaist Purdue, NW, Wisconsin and Iowa is scary. Also rooting against the teams that beat us make those losses look worse

Yeah, there's only 3 meaningful games left on the schedule IMO and the Big Ten plays in none of those but we all should know that perception is reality in a sport where a committee selects who advances

Wanting the Big Ten to do well doesn't mean you have to like the other programs. It's about YOUR program. Just like most here wanted the Big Ten to do well in the WVB Tournament
Of course it really doesn't make a bit of difference in the games who we cheer for....so there's that.

Reactions: demlion

Interesting posit. IMHO the most intriguing match-up is Purdue vs. Arizona. It should be a barn burner! But back to the question, I think the sure loss is Ohio State and the sure win is Wisconsin. I think USC is going to embarrass Ohio, and I think Wisky will run all over Miami and beat their speed with ball control.

One major advantage to the B1G getting shut out of the playoff is that the conference is left with quite a few favorable matchups. Wonder how the SEC with 2 playoff spots matches up? My guess is that they lose a lot of bowl games playing up.

One major advantage to the B1G getting shut out of the playoff is that the conference is left with quite a few favorable matchups. Wonder how the SEC with 2 playoff spots matches up? My guess is that they lose a lot of bowl games playing up.

Not really. The Big Ten & SEC have 3 teams in the playoff/NY6 so it hurt both of us equally

When I went to PSU, the Big 10 was an outfit last relevant in the 50s.

When PSU joined the B 10, I did not join it. Nor did I join a frat or a religion or a political party. Doofus lectures like this regarding how, for my self-interest, I have to root for big ten teams in bowl games are bullshit. Moreover, they are insulting. When these clowns were rooting for us to get the death penalty, where was this fellow feeling you are so fired up about?

Nope. Screw em. Just like us, they are on their own. Tell me, have you heard even a whisper about the B10 giving MSU the boot since their scandal involving 5 times as many victims? Even a peep? No? Me neither.

Stop insulting people with this lame bs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT