ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Aaron Brooks' highlights

Must be a fake video. That broomstick couldn't have worked against a foreigner -- our superiors keep telling us folk hinders free.

Seriously: IMO Hidlay will be problems in college -- for just about everybody else. Against Aaron, not so much.

Also gotta love Aaron's Nolf-like openness to giving up points in order to score even more himself. You can have your 2-pt counter exposure, I'm rolling thru it and putting you on your back. Savage.

As soon a Brooks graduates PSU will fall back to earth lol. I drove myself and three buddies to Cedar Falls last night to watch the fighting Schwabies hand our collective asses to us and the conversation was centered around my opinion that the dynasty isn't ending anytime soon. My one buddy said after we parked that I had him depressed mentioning all the pipeline talent at PSU. I think the overall feeling from Cyclone nation is "we wish Cael well, but not that F_cking well!" My bandwagon fandom of PSU is both admired and a source of disgust.
Keep spreading the gospel in Iowa JW. We appreciate it! It’s fun to fathom that this group is better than the previous group. No reason to believe phase 3 won’t better them both... it is insane to see the pipeline.

Well, I can’t wait to see young Mr. Carr on the scene, so the feeling is somewhat mutual. Dresser was a great hire.
Long Time PSU season ticket holder, but, live out west of Blacksburg on VA/TN line. Also a Va Tech season ticket holder. We miss Kevin. Everywhere he’s been (Christiansburg, VA Tech) he has built a program the right way. Cyclones are gonna be there in 2021-2022 .... maybe sooner. Like Cael, .... Kevin gets the right kids and grows em’.

I can't recall ever seeing a HS match where that many points where put on the board by the contestants.

In the 132 lbs final of the National Preps, Beau Bartlett (Wyoming Sem) defeated Shayne VanNess (Blair Acad), 20-13

The match did not go to OT. Here's how the scoring went (BB for Bartlett, and SVN for Shayne VanNess)

Per 1
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
8-4, BB

Per 2
SVN - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Rev
BB - Esc
11-7, BB

Per 3
BB - Esc
SVN - TD
BB - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
SVN - TD
BB - Esc
BB - TD
SVN - Esc
BB - TD

Final: 20-13, BB

PSU recruiting-alumnus Adam Busiello just won his fifth state title, this time at 138lbs. Which weight he'd ultimately wind up wrestling at in college was the subject of a lot of speculation here and elsewhere, and it appears 125 is vanishing in the rear-view mirror.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Long Time PSU season ticket holder, but, live out west of Blacksburg on VA/TN line. Also a Va Tech season ticket holder. We miss Kevin. Everywhere he’s been (Christiansburg, VA Tech) he has built a program the right way. Cyclones are gonna be there in 2021-2022 .... maybe sooner. Like Cael, .... Kevin gets the right kids and grows em’.
I lived in North Carolina back in early 2000s and drove up a couple times to watch Christiansburg wrestle. Also around that time I found a documentary online about Grundy wrestling. It was a very good watch. Some great talent in that area for sure.

Stumbled upon this buried deep in a CP post.

xYArqvYyt908fgyuL2ZPAVgc3T5hnZLy1NFidbtmrt0NvcM1t3M5nmrDwz_I3LEpEgzgOa9ph_uqL2pKqoPVudgrmZadQzbe9t8uO80gJ-sAGCgJNO09WdlbaCQtgBpLvmkpU0RJbhG4qmZ_t7Jw_b0uWlvzv_ZYVlQKprTH-Pb9Ml73H4So_8CeyzOdDHPjpxWKgv9ZDbeJJTIAzTaQ-e2-dgM_izDHxp4546n3imEgXjQhdA4ZVURN8Y8MxIqiVFGz1Q9yIodVXklKTry9mAV9kiKw6L0wQYanMlM221-iMxHZipxGdQ8_4ptBPoOSvqkcsE-tH3E1Ox6so3TXcvl936T_lJR_neS_2TMrVkB1f9Qe4Rfy7HYAZo_ryHjVY9p3ygKq9-QvLnvsctTmcwop61FEjhGxoTlxQV6o5o17gDv4iZ0ftoPt1D9O9vt7eYJ_tuYDfv1taFSOipQFLxyL9AdIOvqBiwsLRxmk0DC0ZWHOMk5tea83MD54ruAX0fEws4nN-KtZLaMAegWa58-5pfxxGpHvk_PjsLRYe6s-EOArOhS8HNgX2zUi2p02dtG1RzmW43lLQ_5mvvOs0awCcIQWj4MCR3l1W8oGN5PLk4mBHgY440Dxg8lyA5LY2MKlFm26Y9YgkPXPJE2WbiTUxqUZrkn5pi1cu7kxTKAs9CQTf9XfnRxB-ORF8F0uwBD6fzSVby6A4ED8ZaPwT1ssyw=w963-h439-no

Jason's slow motion reaction after the match... says it all. Dude from Buffalo has Tyler Berger Syndrome and when Jason so decided... his dancing body was added to Jason's overall body count.

Jason's opponent certainly isn't majoring in Common Sense at Buffalo. He poked "The Beast" repetitively into wanting and then receiving a thorough ass kicking in front of almost 7,000 people. Not smart.

Last edited:
The obsession with stalling at Iowa is really bizarre. They actually view it as an integral part of their offensive strategy. Have to wonder how much practice time is wasted trying to get the other guy in a position to get a stall call instead of working on scoring points, escaping from bottom or scramble situations.

The obsession with stalling at Iowa is really bizarre. They actually view it as an integral part of their offensive strategy. Have to wonder how much practice time is wasted trying to get the other guy in a position to get a stall call instead of working on scoring points, escaping from bottom or scramble situations.

Totally agree.

I can appreciate getting frustrated when refs don't call stalling, but Iowa guys seem to pursue those calls through mat positioning (instead of actual scoring attempts) as a main offensive strategy. I guess if you can back a guy to the edge of the mat by tying up and pushing, it's an opportunity to score points with very little risk at being countered. It does, however, rely on the refs to award points instead of earning them by, you know, actually taking a guy down. It's kind of like the "Chuck it deep and hope for a pass interference call" play football teams use sometimes. It can work, but you're completely relying on the refs.

I thought the DeSanto Fix match was a great example of this. I guess DeSanto was the aggressor, he was moving forward in neutral more than Fix. But he wasn't actually attempting more takedowns. He wasn't really opening up any more than Fix. He was just tying up and pushing.

Totally agree.

I can appreciate getting frustrated when refs don't call stalling, but Iowa guys seem to pursue those calls through mat positioning (instead of actual scoring attempts) as a main offensive strategy. I guess if you can back a guy to the edge of the mat by tying up and pushing, it's an opportunity to score points with very little risk at being countered. It does, however, rely on the refs to award points instead of earning them by, you know, actually taking a guy down. It's kind of like the "Chuck it deep and hope for a pass interference call" play football teams use sometimes. It can work, but you're completely relying on the refs.

I thought the DeSanto Fix match was a great example of this. I guess DeSanto was the aggressor, he was moving forward in neutral more than Fix. But he wasn't actually attempting more takedowns. He wasn't really opening up any more than Fix. He was just tying up and pushing.

So true it hurts. It is fine for most guys as it lets a good guy compete toe to toe with a better wrestler and perhaps steal a win late (DeSanto vs Fix). It is a shame Spencer is being taught to shut down the attacks and push. Poor Assad already knows he is headed for the wrong end of beat downs against Brooks, but maybe, just maybe, he can block and push enough in one dual in Carver to steal one win and make him a folk hero for a day in Iowa City.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT